Mothering Forum banner

Average gestation for 2nd baby if mom went around 40 weeks 5 days with first baby 9 years ago?

7K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  mckittre 
#1 ·
My sister is going to try to make the birth of my baby but she has very limited dates that she can make it to visit.

I am "due" on April 12. My sister wants to know if she should come April 9th-16th or from April 16th-23rd.

My first birth (9 years ago) went around 5 days past my due date (as I recall) if that helps any.

WWYD?

#2 ·
I would personally have her come the 16th-23rd. That way if she does have to miss the birth at least she'll be there to help in the nb period. If she were to come the earlier week then it would make me feel a lot of pressure to go on and have this baby already (which could be pretty stressful) and if baby goes over the due date by much she may be catching a plane to leave before you've even started labor! That's a tough situation!

#7 ·
I did some searching on the internet and can't find anything that suggests that you can predict gestation by birth order. Bummer!! I know I have read that, for first time moms, gestation is 41+1 so I guess I was holding out for a similar stat for second births. No such luck.

It's helpful to hear that so many of you actually went longer for the second birth -- I was assuming gestation is a bit shorter for subsequent births. According to a very brief check on-line it seems that's not the case, ha?

I spoke with my sister and I think you're right that it's better to come for the 2nd week. I only have to go 1 day longer than I did with DC and, like you said, if she misses the birth at least she'll get to see the baby. And, I won't have any additional pressure to go into labor. A bonus is that I may actually want to wait -- and odd thing to think knowing how ready I was last time.

#9 ·
That's a hard one. I have a similar situation. My dh is deploying for a year in the spring. I'm due the end of July. I'm hoping he can get his 2 weeks of R&R early so he can come home for the birth so we have to time it just right. At least he has a 2 week window, though, rather than just a few days.

With my 1st, my water broke at midnight the day after I was due and ds was born the next morning, 40w1d. My due date then was based on one u/s at around 6 months because I hadn't had a cycle for months before I got pg and didn't get confirmation that I was pg until I was 10-12 weeks along so I don't know how accurate that due date was. With my 2nd I was induced at 40w1d so, obviously, I don't know how much further over my edd I would have gone. With my 3rd, labor started in the evening the day after my edd and he was born the morning of the next day, so 40w2d.

I hope that, based on that, it's safe for me to assume I won't go into labor early (although anything is possible, of course) but won't go more than a day or two over. My dates are right on with this one (as well as #2 and #3) because I was charting and know when I Oed. I think we'll be safe if my dh gets here 2 days before my edd.

#11 ·
I had my first at 41w2d and my second exactly on his EDD.

I would have her come the later dates as well. That would give you an incentive to stay pregnant a little longer, which would be helpful mentally at the end. If she comes earlier, you'll feel pressure to have the baby and there's nothing you can do about that! If she comes later and misses the birth by a few days, at least you have her there for the newborn period.

Well, okay, now that I'm typing I'm rethinking it. Is she the super-helpful type? Or would she be better to hang around with? Assuming she'll miss the birth either way you go, would you rather have her around to hang out with the last week of pregnancy, or would you rather have her help during the first week of having a newborn? That would drive my decision.

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyanna123 View Post

Well, okay, now that I'm typing I'm rethinking it. Is she the super-helpful type? Or would she be better to hang around with? Assuming she'll miss the birth either way you go, would you rather have her around to hang out with the last week of pregnancy, or would you rather have her help during the first week of having a newborn? That would drive my decision.
That's a good point. I think I'd make my decision on how I answered those questions.

Thanks, ICM. It all may be a moot point. I'm told they don't get R&R until after 4 months and the end of July could be right before or right at 4 months depending on when he leaves. I'm hoping that he'll be cut a little slack since there's a specific reason for him wanting specific dates but it all depends on whoever makes the decision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.