amniocentesis @ 37 weeks for lung maturity necessary? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 01-04-2011, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had mine done today and still waiting for the results but I keep thinking to myself was it even that important to do. Even my Dr said he is sure the lungs will be mature.  So what is the point?  Hospital procedure? 

I had a scheduled c section for 1/14 but apparently the baby is "too big" at 36 weeks the baby was estimated at 7 lbs.  Does not seem to big to me, but I am no Dr.  So they changed my c section to 1/7.  I am also a type 1 diabetic and I admit have not had the best control this pregnancy which resulted in a lot of extra fluid (polyhydramnios) fluid averages 30 centimeters every week.  My NST tests always fail because of the extra fluid and bio-physicals are typically ok but sometimes the breathing part or tone part is missed, but I heard that is normal. 

Is a 7lb baby at 36 weeks even that big?  I know it is usually plus or minus a pound or more.  Was the test I went through today totally pointless in everyone else's mind?  I mean I had my daughter at 34 weeks and her lungs were fine.  I heard that boys and babies to diabetic woman their lungs take longer to mature.  Do you think it is that important to rush the surgery just because of a big baby?  Thanks for reading.

Jenn, single, wahm, to Kayla Rayne born 8-18-09 and Gunnar James who was born sleeping @ 39 weeks 1/12/2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-04-2011, 04:03 PM

My SIL had a scheduled c/s right at 39 weeks, and they actually delayed it until 40 weeks because the baby's lungs were not mature.  So no, I don't think it's a waste of time.  As for the rest, I don't know anything about it, but I wish you the best of luck. 

#3 of 6 Old 01-04-2011, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

I did get the results and the lungs were not mature.  They rescheduled my c-section until next week.  Ty for the info

Jenn, single, wahm, to Kayla Rayne born 8-18-09 and Gunnar James who was born sleeping @ 39 weeks 1/12/2011

#4 of 6 Old 01-04-2011, 05:01 PM

They also did one for my DD at 37 weeks, which also came back as not mature. She had a medical condition that actually is one of the few situations where inducing labor early can benefit the baby. FWIW I went into labor on my own less than a week later, and she breathed just fine.

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
#5 of 6 Old 01-05-2011, 04:38 PM

If I had a medical condition that might necessitate early delivery, I'd absolutely want an amnio for any delivery scheduled before my due date.  My son arrived less than a week early (spontaneous ROM, contractions started on their own), yet showed some signs of prematurity (although thankfully no breathing issues).

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
#6 of 6 Old 01-03-2012, 07:18 AM

I saw you were asking "why" and was this pointless etc.

My doctor explained to me that in the past year regulations have changed around deliveries scheduled at 39 weeks and sooner.  To schedule a delivery before 39 weeks requires 'cause' (gestational diabetes, prior high birth weight deliveries, etc.) and verification of fetal lung development. 

There are related articles that show that lung related issues at birth can largely be avoided if the doctor verifies the lungs are developed.  So it is better for the baby that the lungs are developed, and probably better for mom too (stress levels, co-pays, etc.) to have the test.

I have to do an amnio in a few weeks because my old kids were a week early and still 9 and 10+ pounds.  I do not have gestational diabetes and my normal weight is about 135 pounds, so these are large deliveries for my size.  Good luck.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page