Debris in fluid at 20 wk U/S. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 12 Old 01-17-2011, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
 
Beauchamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: PDX
Posts: 1,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can someone tell me how bad this is? The tech told us today (and I clearly saw) debris floating in the amniotic fluid at my 20 wk ultrasound. (I'm 19w4d) She said most likely this will mean getting a level II ultrasound. I've tried to google this, and can't seem to find anything about debris in the fluid this early. Of course, I'm worried. Any info mamas? I am going to keep googling, but these boards, I trust. Thanks! :)

 


Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

Beauchamp is offline  
#2 of 12 Old 01-17-2011, 01:17 PM
 
jcregan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It is something I have never heard of either - maybe call and ask to talk to your doc/mw about it so you can have some idea of what this might be?

 

I wish you the best!


Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
jcregan is offline  
#3 of 12 Old 01-17-2011, 02:06 PM
 
Buddhamom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Shambala Acres
Posts: 1,008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What do you mean debris?  I had my level 2 a couple of weeks ago and we saw tiny floaty particles too but the tech and doctor didn't say it was anything of concern.  Hope that helps.


Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

Buddhamom is offline  
#4 of 12 Old 01-17-2011, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
 
Beauchamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: PDX
Posts: 1,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhamom View Post

What do you mean debris?  I had my level 2 a couple of weeks ago and we saw tiny floaty particles too but the tech and doctor didn't say it was anything of concern.  Hope that helps.



The tech just said "debris." It looked like when you swish up some sand underwater, that kind of cloud of particles. It was clearly moving (because the baby was really moving a lot.) There was quite a lot, not just a few particles here and there.  :(

 


Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

Beauchamp is offline  
#5 of 12 Old 01-17-2011, 05:36 PM
 
starbyfar7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i've always heard alittle debris later in pregnancy is totally normal.. and besides, amniotic fluid is replaced with totally new fluid every couple of hours so rest assure your baby is totally fine! unless it meconium, which im sure your doctor would've told you. don't worry mama!


mommy to "mine" (7), "his" (5), and preggers with "ours" due march 2011!!! 
 
heartbeat.gifIts a GIRL!!!!
starbyfar7 is offline  
#6 of 12 Old 01-17-2011, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
 
Beauchamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: PDX
Posts: 1,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by starbyfar7 View Post

i've always heard alittle debris later in pregnancy is totally normal.. and besides, amniotic fluid is replaced with totally new fluid every couple of hours so rest assure your baby is totally fine! unless it meconium, which im sure your doctor would've told you. don't worry mama!



Thanks.  :)  Yes, I heard that it can be normal later in pregnancy, too. But I'm only 19w4d. The normal stuff they see later is usually the vernix shedding around 38-40 wks. From what I read online (google is not always a good idea) it can be blood or something bad this early, because babies this little are just starting to get vernix. 

 

Of course, I am no doctor and could be totally wrong!  :)  I am just freaking out because the radiologist is supposed to read the ultrasound sometime tomorrow and the tech told me that when they see an "abnormality" that you need a level 2 ultrasound. I asked specifically what abnormality and she skirted the question and basically said that the radiologist would have to say that for sure. But then she went on to tell me that they would be able to tell me the gender *when* I got my level 2 ultrasound. (She couldn't get a clear picture of the sex, so she kept saying I'd be back for the level 2, so a logical assumption is that she saw something that she knew the radiologist would deem an abnormality and therefore I'd be back. She took specific pictures of the debris.) 

 

:(  

 

The waiting is just so hard. 


Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

Beauchamp is offline  
#7 of 12 Old 08-11-2011, 03:05 PM
 
luckymomto8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I can clearly see this is an older post but since I am in a similiar situation I thought I would see if I could get a reply... I just had my 19 wk scan of my 8th baby and was told there is debris in fluid and asked if I had any bleeding. When I told the tech no she gave me same excuse about vernix, but I know its just not normal to shed it when baby really doesn't have much to spare yet. After the tech "reported" her findings to doc she got back to me and said we will have another scan in 4 wks. I quickly asked whats wrong because I am old pro at this and she said it's because I have given birth so many times we just want to watch the growth. Baby was right on measurements at this scan so no worries about growth in my mind. I did try google too and nothing. Then I found this thread and was hoping the original mom to post could reassure me since she has been through this :)

luckymomto8 is offline  
#8 of 12 Old 08-11-2011, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
 
Beauchamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: PDX
Posts: 1,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymomto8 View Post

I can clearly see this is an older post but since I am in a similiar situation I thought I would see if I could get a reply... I just had my 19 wk scan of my 8th baby and was told there is debris in fluid and asked if I had any bleeding. When I told the tech no she gave me same excuse about vernix, but I know its just not normal to shed it when baby really doesn't have much to spare yet. After the tech "reported" her findings to doc she got back to me and said we will have another scan in 4 wks. I quickly asked whats wrong because I am old pro at this and she said it's because I have given birth so many times we just want to watch the growth. Baby was right on measurements at this scan so no worries about growth in my mind. I did try google too and nothing. Then I found this thread and was hoping the original mom to post could reassure me since she has been through this :)


I have a completely healthy, gorgeous, 9 week old baby boy, born on his due date, average weight, off the charts for height (at 9 wks, not at birth, lol)... orngbiggrin.gif

Ultrasounds can "find" so many things that make us worry. I had a strong sense that nothing whatever was wrong, despite debris in the fluid, random spotting, and a soft marker for Downs---and I was right. winky.gif

hug.gif


Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

Beauchamp is offline  
#9 of 12 Old 08-12-2011, 08:20 AM
 
luckymomto8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wonderful!! Congrats on perfectly healthy baby!! I feel so so much better!!! Thank you so very much for your time in replying!!!!!

luckymomto8 is offline  
#10 of 12 Old 09-22-2013, 02:10 PM
 
jamilea85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any other moms with this or maybe an update from luckymomto8? I've had the same experience. My ultrasound tech said just vernix. I'm hoping that is the case!
jamilea85 is offline  
#11 of 12 Old 03-13-2014, 10:15 AM
 
Vishdeep15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Beauchamp,jamilea85
I see this post was from years ago .im having the same issue of debris found at 18 weeks when my cervix was 1cm dilated and had emergency cerclage done. Now im 30 weeks still have the debris. I constantly worry what the debris is and will that effect my baby's health.Please reply me how is everything with your baby after this many years.i feel anxious about it.

Thanks in advance
Vishdeep15 is offline  
#12 of 12 Old 03-13-2014, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter
 
Beauchamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: PDX
Posts: 1,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishdeep15 View Post

Hi Beauchamp,jamilea85
I see this post was from years ago .im having the same issue of debris found at 18 weeks when my cervix was 1cm dilated and had emergency cerclage done. Now im 30 weeks still have the debris. I constantly worry what the debris is and will that effect my baby's health.Please reply me how is everything with your baby after this many years.i feel anxious about it.

Thanks in advance

Hey, I'm still here. wink1.gif

My son will be 3yo in June. He's awesome! Healthy, happy...no issues whatever.

I understand the anxiety, and I hope you don't worry yourself too much. Sometimes I think we have such amazing access to technology, and yet it causes us (especially mamas!) a lot of unnecessary worry.

Big hugs, mama. <3 Constant worry is not good for you... <3

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

Beauchamp is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off