wearing compression stockings - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-18-2011, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Have you found any compression stockings that just work perfectly for you? I REALLY have to start wearing some compression stockings consistently, as my varicose veins are out of control! But I've tried thigh highs and full length and they both drive me crazy. The thigh highs cut into my thighs too deeply, but if I order the next size up they're too big. And the full length are so hard to put on as pregnant as I am, inconvenient to take down when peeing all day long, and are hot (I live in southern California). Help!

#2 of 5 Old 01-18-2011, 08:01 PM

Have you tried knee highs?

Mummy to DD-8yrs (Jan-04), DS-5yrs (Dec-06) and DS2-19mths (Apr-11). pos.gif #4 EDD July 26 2013

nocirc.giflactivist.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifbfolderchild.gif

#3 of 5 Old 02-03-2011, 07:29 AM

That is a tough one if you can't tolerate either one very well.  Sometimes you just have to try a few different ones to find your best fit.  Did you see www.compressionstockingssite.com on this subject?

#4 of 5 Old 02-05-2011, 01:56 PM

I have to wear the full type.  It's my upper legs that hurt for me.  I always hated putting them on, but I couldn't function without them.  I would do it in bed usually with my feet against the wall, first thing in the morning.  It took a couple of minutes, sigh.  And I usually tried taking a shower at night so I wouldn't be walking around in the morning without the stockings. 

I think I saw footless (or was it toeless) stockings somewhere.  I might try those eventually.

#5 of 5 Old 02-06-2011, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)

Hi,

I've been through several styles and finally have settled on the "Venosan Legline" for the thigh highs....and Sigvaris cotton knee high series.  The Sigvaris brand THIGH highs dug into the back of my knee.

The easiest way to put any compression stocking on is to turn it inside out, put your foot in, then, starting with the end closest to the toe, gradually turn them outside right as you pull the stocking up your leg. 

There's devices called "EZ slide" or similar, that only work with the open toe style....but they make it easier to put the stocking on.

The other thing that helps is good textured rubber gloves that stick to the stocking.

Make sure you choose a supplier who allows you to try them on to ensure good fit without an obligation to purchase before being able to try them on.....or at least will allow you to return them if they don't feel comfortable.

It's a pain to try to find the right pair.....but believe me it's great when you finally do.  It's far less pain than varicose vein surgery or blood clots that form b/c the veins get so deformed and can't channel blood effectively any more

We have very hot weather here in the summer...and I just wear mine anyway with skirts...

Best wishes and keep trying - it's worth it! :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page