What is in this RRL tea that gave me heartburn? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-20-2011, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I normally have reflux all day everyday.  However, I had some Trad Medicinals Preg Tea at work and decided to drink some.  I'm just now starting on my RRL and haven't ordered any loose tea yet.

Anyway, I have horrible, worse than normal, heartburn now...almost throwing up.  What do you think gave me HB this bad?  I don't want to order whatever it is in loose form when I make my concoction.

Ingredients:

RRL

strawberry leaf

nettle leaf

spearmint

bitter fennel

rose hip

alfalfa

lemon verbena

ETA: I have a bagged straight RRL tea at home and get no HB with that.  Can't remember if it is Yogi or Trad Med though.

Me 32, DH 33,  angel.gif (3/17/10),  DD 6/6/11
#2 of 6 Old 01-20-2011, 05:29 PM

hmmm; that's odd...I almost daily drink RLT, spearmint, nettle and alfalfa and that doesn't doens't happen to me...I would suggest going into the RLT tribe thread and see if anyone else there has the same trouble 

#3 of 6 Old 01-21-2011, 06:29 AM

I wonder if it was the rose hip? It is acidic I think if I recall. It's a good source of vit C.

Also, I am having heartburn right now and as I read the list I got a little reactive when I read rose hip, not very scientific I know but my stomach told me it was the rose hip..

(I just did a little google on rose hip and heartburn and got a bunch of hits linking them)

#4 of 6 Old 01-21-2011, 06:34 AM

A ton of folks have issues with seeded berries in general and are not aware.  I am one of them... rasp, straw, but not blue.  I wasn't able to drink RRL while preggo for the same reasons. 

The spearmint could be a trigger as well.

'09   
#5 of 6 Old 01-21-2011, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Initially I thought the mint.  I thought I had read something about mint and heartburn before.  I hadn't heard of the rose hips causing it though...good to know.

I think I may do RRL, nettles, and alfalfa...those seem to be the constants in most of the recipes that I have found...and leave out the other stuff.  Probably a good idea to test the mixture out before I mix it all together though.

Thanks ladies!!

Me 32, DH 33,  angel.gif (3/17/10),  DD 6/6/11
#6 of 6 Old 01-21-2011, 11:08 PM

Early in my pregnancy I got heartburn from spearmint (specifically in both that pregnancy blend and straight spearmint tea).  It hasn't bothered me since I hit the halfway point or so though..  

Amara ~ Married to my HS sweetheart, we're having a blast with baby Z (1/29/2011)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page