Sharp pain in cervix? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-24-2011, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I always thought it was just baby pinching my cervix or something, hehe. But then someone said something about having sharp pains and it being a sign of dilation. Last pregnancy I was checked once at about 39 weeks and declined further checks, but I wasn't dilated at that one check so I think I'm a "closed until birth" person, or was with DS. Any idea?

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#2 of 10 Old 01-24-2011, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would like to know too. I get these sharp pains too. I am 37 weeks but had my daughter in my 1st pg at 38 weeks. Hmmm

#3 of 10 Old 01-24-2011, 09:23 AM

i've been having sharp cervix plains as well. i remember asking my mw about them with my last pregnancy but i don't remember at all what she told me 2whistle.gif probably just that things were preparing for labor, and it's a good sign that things are progressing. if it is a sign of dialation then i should be doing rather well in that department when i have my next appointment and get checked. thumb.gif

Lisa, wife to Jacob, mom to DS Ryan (4), DD Clover (2.5) and DD Mae (born 2/3/2011)
#4 of 10 Old 01-24-2011, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You know, I may just go ahead and ask my midwife to check me today... I was going to decline all offers just because I know it means nothing but I'm honestly kinda curious this time! Plus this baby has done EVERYTHING differently from DS (including dropping! DS didn't drop until labour) so I guess I'll go for it just for fun. :D 

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#5 of 10 Old 01-24-2011, 10:08 AM

It's pretty common to be closed but effaced preceding your first birth and slightly dilated but not effaced for subsequent births.  I'm a little dialated now, but was no more than a fingertip after hours of labour with DS.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#6 of 10 Old 01-24-2011, 10:32 AM

I didn't dilate at all before starting labour with #1 (or even some time into it - had a really long pre-labour with no dilation) but with #2 was 2-3 cm dilated a couple of weeks before the birth so I think this can be different for different babies, particularly later ones.  Regarding sharp pain, that sounds like cervix starting to twitch to me.  This pregnancy I had a big bleed at around 7 weeks (caused by a blood-clot in the womb) accompanied by sharp pain that was definitely cervix rather than anywhere else and reminded me much more of labour pain than period pain.  Luckily it didn't cause a miscarriage, but I guess if the cervix had continued to open it may have done.

#7 of 10 Old 01-24-2011, 03:18 PM

I'm 33 weeks with my second and have been having cervix "twinges" for a couple of weeks now. I checked myself last night, and I'm already 2cm, and a good bit effaced. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#8 of 10 Old 01-24-2011, 05:08 PM

Holy crap batboy! Really? I was just telling my OB today that it feels like baby has a dental tool and is scraping my cervix and she said "sorry about that" .....so um....my body is just getting ready? Should I get checked too? I've been having BH for about 2 months now. They make me stop in my tracks bc its hard to walk when your stomach is rock hard lol and they make me have to 'breath' through them. Hmmmm, I wonder if I should have my new caregiver(MW) check me on my first appt. I was so against VE....but maybe I should get checked just to make sure. Oh no's.
#9 of 10 Old 01-25-2011, 05:16 AM

I experienced these a lot towards the end of my last pregnancy.  My midwife said that it was my cervix getting ready for labor.  Interestingly, I felt a pinch exactly 2 seconds before I felt my water trickle down my leg.  I always wonder if the two were connected or if it was just a coincidence....

On a side note, as I said I'd been feeling the pinching for weeks before I went into labor.  At my final check @ 38w 6d I was not dilated at all, but was quite effaced.  I went into labor about 14 hours after that check, and had the baby 10 hours later. 

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

#10 of 10 Old 01-25-2011, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)

I wonder about this. I don't remember having the pains/twinges with my first two at least until the end of the pregnancy. I also didn't have any braxton hicks until the end too. This pregnancy I'm 27 wks now and I've been having bh and the cervix twinges for weeks now. I don't know why my body would want to get ready for labor so early when it's done this twice before. I sure hope baby plans to stay in there for a while yet.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page