Brio Birth Classes anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 01-27-2011, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am fortunate that in the area where I live there are a multitude of different childbirth class options available.  I've been looking into all of them and trying to decide which on would be best for DH and me.  Every time I think I'm settled on something, I find another class to research.

The latest one I have discovered is called Brio Birth.  I visited the website and have e-mailed the instructor.  She's a former Bradley teacher.  I feel like all the classes sound great in the description, but does anyone have any personal experience with Brio Birth?

Also, I am planning a homebirth.

Here is some of what the instructor told me via e-mail so far:

"This is the first time you've heard of it because the organization is brand new.  I've been a Bradley teacher for 3 years and have now joined BrioBirth - it was actually started from a grassroots group of Bradley teachers who wanted  to bring the same great information and techniques to couples, only with more professional materials and more frequently updated research.  So essentially BrioBirth is still based on all the great philosophies of Dr.  Bradley: nutrition, exercise, relaxation, consumerism and partner coached childbirth, but even more in depth!  I'm very excited about all the positive changes this organization is bringing to the table.

To answer your question of how it is different, I would say that we cover a lot more material.  A LOT more.  ;-)  We meet for 8 weeks, 3 hours each time (with plenty of breaks!) for a total of 24 hours of class, compared to most 12-16 hour courses.  We cover so many topics much more in depth than many classes have time for.  In this case, I truly believe that more, not less, is more.  It gives us time to truly ingrain these principles into everyday living so that when the time comes, our couples are very prepared and confident.

As a homebirth mom x2, I love having homebirth couples in my class for the perspective that they offer (I already have one couple signed up that is also having a homebirth.)"

Married to DH partners.gif since 2007. Mommy to babyboy.gif 7/2011.  We bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif.

#2 of 30 Old 01-29-2011, 10:48 AM

Brio is a brand new organization, so you probably won't find anyone who's taken a class.  But, Brio's philosophies and techniques are very similar to Bradley, from what I hear. So if the "Bradley Method" appeals to you, and you like the teacher, I say go for it.

I think an individual teacher's style and values are more important than which organization she's affiliated with. She is clearly down with homebirth, so that's good. You should be able to ask the teacher for references, or ask on your local tribe if anyone's taken a class with her. Good luck!

Mom to energy.gif(11/08) and  babyboy.gif  (4/11)

#3 of 30 Old 01-31-2011, 02:41 AM

Location: kicking it at the kitchen counter, hoping the dishes get done by themselves!

Brio is a new birthing Method.  I read on there website and it says nothing about being like The Bradley Method though. 

I also wonder if you do get more information than if you were to take a Bradley Method course.  Bradley Method courses are 12 weeks long and usually last about 2-2.5 hours per class.  It seems to me that would be more class time and more information.

I have read on there blog in the past that they are involved in a legal action at the time.  I do not know what is going to happen with this but it would really suck if they were ordered by a court to stop teaching what they are in the middle of your classes.  Would you be entitled to a refund then?

I was also reading on the website that the workbooks are not being shipped out until today.  Usually with start up companies there are many revisions the first few years while they figure out what works and what does not through trial and error.  You would be a participant in this trial and error process. 

If you do not mind being the guinea pig for a start up company then go for it!  Otherwise I would stick with something that has a history, evidence based background, and numbers to back up there claims. 

Hope you have the birth you are dreaming of!!!

#4 of 30 Old 01-31-2011, 08:30 AM

It is a first time I hear about Brio Birth but I took Bradley classes with my first.

If Brio is anything like Bradley but more in depth, I would go for it. Can you ask prospective teacher for more details of how they are different? Like what topics they cover that Bradley doesn't?

When I did Bradley classes it was mostly to learn more about natural childbirth and be in circle of people who had similar values to me, learning relaxation techniques and coaching was secondary. I was also reading books on natural chilbirth and at the end the knowledge of what is normal is what kept me sane and I did not use any techniques from the class.

#5 of 30 Old 01-31-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siss2mom View Post

Brio is a new birthing Method.  I read on there website and it says nothing about being like The Bradley Method though. 

I also wonder if you do get more information than if you were to take a Bradley Method course.  Bradley Method courses are 12 weeks long and usually last about 2-2.5 hours per class.  It seems to me that would be more class time and more information.

I have read on there blog in the past that they are involved in a legal action at the time.  I do not know what is going to happen with this but it would really suck if they were ordered by a court to stop teaching what they are in the middle of your classes.  Would you be entitled to a refund then?

I was also reading on the website that the workbooks are not being shipped out until today.  Usually with start up companies there are many revisions the first few years while they figure out what works and what does not through trial and error.  You would be a participant in this trial and error process. 

If you do not mind being the guinea pig for a start up company then go for it!  Otherwise I would stick with something that has a history, evidence based background, and numbers to back up there claims. 

Hey, it's your first post! Welcome! Are you affiliated with Bradley? FWIW, I'm not affiliated with Bradley or Brio or any other org. I'm just a consumer.

I wouldn't worry about any of these things, myself.

Brio originally started under the name Bradley Reborn, but they were completely blocked from using the Bradley name so they can't say anything about similarities or differences to Bradley on their website. There is a lawsuit pending about that. You wouldn't be a guinea pig because this lady is an experienced teacher. If you're concerned about something happening to Brio during your class, ask the teacher whether she'd just continue as an independant instructor. Oh, and the workbook is a very minor part of any good class. 

I stand by my initial response that the individual teacher is more important than the organization she's affiliated with.  I took a Bradley class a couple years ago and it was wonderful. My excellent teacher is now affiliated with Brio. I know her beliefs and values haven't changed, so I would totally recommend her to anyone in my area looking for a class aimed at natural birthing.

#6 of 30 Old 02-01-2011, 05:42 AM
HRJ

I just talked to a Bradley instructor that is turning into a Brio instructor . Brio is so similiar to Bradley that Bradley is suing Brio apparently. 

#7 of 30 Old 02-01-2011, 05:44 AM
HRJ

I wonder if we used the same instructor.  We did Bradley in maryland in 2004.  LOVED our teacher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenAnanas View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siss2mom View Post

Hey, it's your first post! Welcome! Are you affiliated with Bradley? FWIW, I'm not affiliated with Bradley or Brio or any other org. I'm just a consumer.

I wouldn't worry about any of these things, myself.

Brio originally started under the name Bradley Reborn, but they were completely blocked from using the Bradley name so they can't say anything about similarities or differences to Bradley on their website. There is a lawsuit pending about that. You wouldn't be a guinea pig because this lady is an experienced teacher. If you're concerned about something happening to Brio during your class, ask the teacher whether she'd just continue as an independant instructor. Oh, and the workbook is a very minor part of any good class. 

I stand by my initial response that the individual teacher is more important than the organization she's affiliated with.  I took a Bradley class a couple years ago and it was wonderful. My excellent teacher is now affiliated with Brio. I know her beliefs and values haven't changed, so I would totally recommend her to anyone in my area looking for a class aimed at natural birthing.

#8 of 30 Old 02-02-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenAnanas View Post

I was going to say the same thing that "you wouldn't be a guinea pig!"

ITA that the instructor is most important. LOL - my doula was a Bradley teacher who now is not only affiliated with Brio, but is on the board, so it may be the same person. I'm sure the core principles will be very comparable.

Based on the original post, I think the instructor already did a good job explaining the differences with between Bradley & Brio. Sounds like Brio is an improvement! I had also heard things about Bradley being a difficult organization for instructors to work with.

In any case, as far as the laws are concerned, you can only copyright a name like, "Husband coached childbirth" or "Bradley Method" or a graphic logo (music & books too)- no one can have any sort of legal claims to the CONCEPTS of coached-birth, consumerism, etc. Just like Chick-fil-A can copyright that NAME, but they have no claim to deep-fried chicken sandwiches with pickles & waffle-cut fries. I could open up a fast-food joint right next to them selling the same things & there isn't a darn thing they can do about it. (Again, so long as I don't use their names or logos.)

& for the record, I think it was ridiculously idiotic of them to even ATTEMPT to use the name "Bradley reborn." That's like me starting up a soft drink company, naming my cola beverage, "Better than Coke" & thinking that is OK. Seriously? How can you think that is legal & acceptable??

But the notion that Bradley can do anything at all to shut down Brio because the cirriculum (i.e. the content of WHAT is taught) is the same is just absurd. Well, so long as they don't use the EXACT same text in their materials - which would be plagerism & illegal, so let's hope they're not that stupid twice & they write their own unique stuff.

#9 of 30 Old 02-02-2011, 10:19 AM

Don't have much time to respond entirely (or look to see if I'm just repeating someone else has already said) but Brio is the product of a full on Bradley split! It formed in October of last year and the instructors just finished their training at the beginning of January. I've gotten close with my former Bradley teacher and she's been giving me the low down ever since she encouraged me to NOT become a Bradley instructor. The Bradley method is GREAT and Dr. Bradley's ideas REALLY do work! But the AAHCC's materials haven't been updated in decades and they didn't treat their instructors very nicely. However, due to the dramatic nature of a split, Brio has been basically forbidden from using Bradley's name on their material and website. Also, they are allowing inspiration from other birthy "greats" like Ina May, Dr. Lamaze, Michael Odent, etc, etc while sticking with the Bradley core. I REALLY like that! From what I'm seeing, I'm really excited about Brio. We'll be doing Brio when I get closer to 6 months along and I'm thinking about becoming an instructor in the future. 

#10 of 30 Old 02-02-2011, 10:26 AM

Brio is also a 12 week course. The only difference is that they have the freedom to do a 6 week course should a women chose to use Brio later on in pregnancy. Also, the court order isn't about the curriculum. It's about use of the name "Bradley". Also, one the main consumer complaints with the AAHCC is their outdated content. Just prior to the split CAPPA stopped certifying Bradley teachers as doulas because of how outdated the info was. There were also a number of "typo's" in the Bradley workbook. I'm a part of the doula community in my area and the Bradley Method no longer has a great reputation with many professionals. It's such a shame. 

Let us not forget that there was a time when Bradley, Lamaze, Birthing from Within and Hypnobirthing were brand new! Sure, there is bound to be some honing down on the information but with the way Bradley was going Brio had no where to go but "up". 

Also, if you're interested but still a bit weary, I would talk to a perspective teacher about sitting in during a class or perhaps going through the workbook prior to paying for classes. HTH!!

#11 of 30 Old 02-03-2011, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

To let you all know-- I signed up for the BrioBirth Classes and they start tomorrow and run through the end of March.  I'll try to remember to post back after to give my opinion/observations as a student.

I asked the instructor about the lawsuit, and she said it was not scheduled to actually go to court until mid-March, so it would not have any bearing on the series of classes that I will be taking anyhow.

I too, thought it was crazy to hear that they started with the name "Bradley Reborn."  That was just begging for a lawsuit.

Married to DH partners.gif since 2007. Mommy to babyboy.gif 7/2011.  We bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif.

#12 of 30 Old 02-04-2011, 09:02 AM

I hope you learn lots and enjoy the class!

#13 of 30 Old 03-08-2011, 09:33 AM

Hi, we started our Briobirth class and have had 2 classes so far. The instructor Sarah Larsen here in Bend, OR is great, and I am learning tons about how to advocate for myself in the hospital where we plan to have our baby. My husband is enlisted as coach and has lots of specific tasks under this birthing method.  I wouldn't call it a new birthing method -- it is actually the oldest one in the world.  But the data and info is up to date based on birthing trends in America, and hazards of drugs and dangers of conventional, medical model birth methods.   http://learning2birth.com/default.aspx

#14 of 30 Old 03-22-2011, 08:41 PM

What the instructor said about Brio birth is correct, and it seems like a good movement to give the Bradley teaching but with more updated materials and a better run organization.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#15 of 30 Old 04-24-2011, 03:01 PM

Location: kicking it at the kitchen counter, hoping the dishes get done by themselves!

Finally!  Thank you to those that are brave enough to share the truth.  You are serving society well. 

I originally posted this in regards to the post that included the http://briovent.blogspot.com

I just wanted too make sure that was clear

#16 of 30 Old 04-25-2011, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Hello all, we completed our Brio Birth class a few weeks ago, so I thought I would come back here and post my thoughts.

Our class was structured in eight 3-hour classes on Friday evenings.  Its hard to separate what aspects were a result of the Brio Birth program, and what aspects were a result of our individual instructor.  Overall, I felt that the content we received was good.  In my particular case, I was well-read on natural birth before going into the class.  Our instructor commented to us multiple times that we were unusually well-educated on natural birth.  As a result, I felt that I learned very little that was new to me (I'm thinking I may pursue becoming a doula sometime in the future).  That being said, there were some others in the class who knew next to nothing about natural birth, and I could tell that their minds were being blown with new information.

The workbooks for the class did not come until maybe the 6th or 7th class.  In the meantime, our instructor made her own binders for us with information that she gathered herself.  I have not yet had a chance to really sit down and go through the whole workbook now that I have it, but some of the things I have seen look really good.  For example, there's a great section on positions for all stages of birth with good photos showing examples of the positions.  There was also another section with info on what to expect a newborn to look like-- again with real photos.  Since I'm expecting my first, I found that section really interesting.  I really need to take some time to look through the whole thing as I think there may be a lot more in the book that will be new info for me.

In the actual classes themselves, I felt like we got a lot of birth info, nutrition, and exercise info, but I felt it was really lacking in relaxation tools.  Its hard to say whether that is a result of the curriculum or the instructor, or a result of her not having all the tools yet for the class from Brio Birth.  I believe the workbook has a lot more in-depth relaxation techniques in it... again, I just have to sit down and go through it.

I've since read Husband Coached Childbirth and part of Birth the Bradley Way on my own.  From what I can tell, Brio Birth isn't simply a remake of Bradley with updated info and photos.  I haven't taken a Bradley class, so I can only speak from the Bradly books I've read.

Overall, for me and my husband, the class wasn't that beneficial for us.  But, as I have said, I realized that I already know A LOT because of my own reading and research.  We are now finishing up a hypnobirthing class (the only hypno class offered in our city).  I decided to take this class as well because I really felt like I personally needed more relaxation tools in my toolbox.  (I think I may be a class/seminar/workshop junkie.  I try to attend as many of the classes offered at the local attachment parenting and breastfeeding stores as I can, seminars offered by local birth advocacy groups, etc.)

#17 of 30 Old 04-26-2011, 01:15 PM

What kind of preparation do you think you might do next time around?  I would love to hear your comparison of a Bradley Method® class after taking one.  When I read about the two being compared it really makes me wonder how much they are actually alike or do the both teach Natural Childbirth in different ways? 

I know that in the classes I have taken, even the second and third time around, there was new information.  Not just new too me but new in general.  I always loved the illustrations that the instructor provided to us, in class or via email. 

Thanks for getting back to us about your experience.   

I was just noticing, that we joined this forum at the same time yet it says I am a new member, funny!!

#18 of 30 Old 04-27-2011, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

I think the "new member" status relates to your number of posts rather than the time you joined.

I think for future pregnancies I might pursue additional hypno- classes, such as Hypnobabies.  However, currently the nearest Hypnobabies class to us is an hour away.  I might do a self-study instead, but its hard to say since I'll already have one kiddo running around the next time I am pregnant.  I don't really think that I will feel any need to take a Bradley class, but who knows!

The Brio Birth classes we not focused on doing specific things during each stage of labor, which from my reading and understanding, is a big part of Bradley.  But definitely someone who has actually taken both classes will have a better comparison than me, since I have only read the Bradley books and not taken a class.

#19 of 30 Old 05-07-2011, 07:57 AM

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your classes. From what I have heard, there is a LOT of conflict with the Brio leadership (I was reading the blog of the husband of one of the founders and found that the head of the organization got quite physically violent with his wife in front of other people.) but like some others have said, it's the teachers that make a difference. Not the leadership. Which is odd, since the leadership is the reason several teachers left Bradley for Brio. Seems like they went from what they perceived as one bad leadership to another.

#20 of 30 Old 05-12-2011, 07:08 AM

@ Lisa, I agree the situation is sad.  I do want to clarify that the situation did not involve the husband and wife.  It was someone else's husband attacking one of the other board members. @MKat33-all you said is correct as well. 

On another note, teaching style can vary greatly as all Brio teachers are independent. Also, MOST Brio teachers at this time are coming from other Childbirth Education styles, so they will not necessarily have the same techniques.  Perhaps the teacher you went with doesn't do as much relaxation techniques. Because Brio is new, it is a work in progress.  I believe it will all come together eventually. The important thing is to remember that we (childbirth eductors) have ONE goal- and that is to teach parents how to achieve natural birth!

#21 of 30 Old 07-03-2011, 02:32 PM

I am a former Bradley teacher, and I've been eying the Brio site to inquire about training.  I do not see any info for educators.  Does anyone know why this is?

#22 of 30 Old 05-14-2012, 08:24 PM

Brio is in the news right now. They're pretty controversial here in Denver where they started. Thought I'd share the latest controversy.

http://www.9news.com/rss/story.aspx?storyid=267652&fb_ref=artsharetop&fb_source=profile_oneline

Rock Your Birth Doula Services - Attending births throughout the Denver Metro Area
rockyourbirth@gmail.com
#23 of 30 Old 06-01-2012, 05:16 PM

Any idea what happened to the brio vent blog?  It was up like 2 weeks ago but now I can't find it!

Cindy + DH Paul = DS1 (4/26/06), DS2 (11/30/07), DD (12/20/10) & surprise 4th edition coming in April 2014.

Bradley Method Natural Childbirth Educator, Doula, and Breastfeeding Counselor

#24 of 30 Old 06-01-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessimonster View Post

Brio is in the news right now. They're pretty controversial here in Denver where they started. Thought I'd share the latest controversy.
http://www.9news.com/rss/story.aspx?storyid=267652&fb_ref=artsharetop&fb_source=profile_oneline

What the heck?

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#25 of 30 Old 06-01-2012, 11:30 PM

That is crazy! It just makes the whole organization seem like a scam. Wow.
#26 of 30 Old 06-03-2012, 11:07 PM

It is a scam! I greatly urge EVERYONE to do some serious research before signing up with them! PLEASE!
#27 of 30 Old 06-04-2012, 01:48 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegBoz View Post

But the notion that Bradley can do anything at all to shut down Brio because the cirriculum (i.e. the content of WHAT is taught) is the same is just absurd. Well, so long as they don't use the EXACT same text in their materials - which would be plagerism & illegal, so let's hope they're not that stupid twice & they write their own unique stuff.

Actually, there are tons of reasons why Bradley can take action against a group of former instructors trained in their techniques that market a similarly named, similarly themed, similarly run business promoting similar techniques. Their agreements with their instructors should make this clear but even if they don't have a written agreement in place, these Brio people are going to have a hard time. And not smart to use the same name.

Note: never taken classes from either group.

#28 of 30 Old 07-08-2012, 08:11 PM

For those wondering where the Brio Vent blog went, check out this blog: http://birthscamreport.blogspot.com/

#29 of 30 Old 07-12-2012, 10:41 PM

it is tragic that Dr. Bradley's method has been stolen and clothed in a new name. we are all in this to help women deliver naturally. but apparently, the leaders of the brio organization wanted to benefit more financially but didn't necessarily have a new product to offer; just an abridged carbon-copy of someone else's hard work. i highly recommend the Bradley Method. the success rate is amazing. and Bradley has been around since 1947. It works. and the people who teach Bradley are content with "just"  helping moms. 

#30 of 30 Old 12-01-2012, 05:47 PM

I know that Demetria Clark from Birth Arts International has been trying to work with some of their students who were "scammed" with tuition discounts, etc.. She was really kind to a friend of mine and worked with her.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page