First homebirth with just a doula? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-29-2011, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I am having a lot of difficulty in locating a midwife who services my area, however there are plenty of doulas...

I am starting to consider using my insurance for all the normal pregnancy needs, ultrasounds,prenatal exams all that jazz and meanwhile getting to know and employing a doula who will assist with my eventual waterbirth at home.

Is this a bad idea for a first time mom, do I absolutely need a midwife to ensure safety and proper birthing?

Any advice or feedback is appreciated :)

#2 of 10 Old 01-29-2011, 02:05 PM

Doulas do not provide medical care; they support you emotionally and physically during labor and after. If you are looking for someone with the education to handle birth, emergency circumstances, newborn care, etc that would be a midwife or an OB. Have you tried posting in the tribal area about looking for a midwife in your area?

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#3 of 10 Old 01-29-2011, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Yup, I have posted all over, called midwives outside of my area...everything short of moving to a more midwife populated area.

#4 of 10 Old 01-29-2011, 02:36 PM

If that's what you 'want' to do...... then I'd advise you to spend as much time as possible reading up on 'UC' unassisted childbirth that is.. there is a forum dedicated to that here on mothering as well as other places on-line.

In other words your considering employing a labor 'coach' /doula but otherwise having a UC ? As was mentioned doulas cannot take the place of a midwife/doctor .. but they are great for their encouragement and guidance along the way. But if your plan is to go without a midwife.. then 'you' must become the midwife (and your DH)  and learn all about how to handle various birth situations.

Make sure you are upfront with the doula so she can decide if she's comfortable with that or not.  I know I was almost in a situation with my previous pregnancy where we would have considered that (and my doula agreed to it if necessary) but was able to finally get a midwife within the last two weeks before birth.. so we ended up having both midwife and doula present for our homebirth.

Rae 27 DH Phillip 32 married 11-22-03
DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#5 of 10 Old 01-29-2011, 03:49 PM

be aware that a Doula may not want to attend your birth without having a birth professional. if they are registered or certified with an organization they may actualy be unable to attend you birth becasue of scope.

Now there are definalty first time moms who do a UC but you need to prepare yourself and you husband with how to take of any emergency. Just as with birthing in a hospital there are risks and you ned to be aware of them and know how to deal with it. It's not unreasonalbe just be educated.

I hope you can find a situation that is going to work for you.

As a doula in training myself I personally wouldn't attend a U/C, but that is my comfort level. I wuld be so worried something would go wrong.

And while I would try and help I hold no malpractice insurance or anything of that nature to protect myself from something going wrong and being blamed for it

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#6 of 10 Old 01-31-2011, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to let everyone know that thanks to a wonderful member on here I was able to locate and set up an appointment with a local midwife.

Im so excited, thanks for all the info and suggestions.

havsulen likes this.
#7 of 10 Old 02-01-2011, 10:52 AM

Congrats on finding the midwife, and good luck with your homebirth!  

This is all good advice should you decide you want to try a U/C in the future.  It's also useful even if you are having a midwife, as being honest and finding out what your doula is comfortable with is very important either way.  ;)

thumb.gif

#8 of 10 Old 02-03-2011, 11:52 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Doulas provide support to the mother; they are not trained in managing labor or delivering babies. They are not cheap/lesser midwives. They have a different role. I would be very suspicous of a doula who agreed to your plan. Most of the doula-licensing organizations forbid it.

#9 of 10 Old 09-25-2012, 04:48 AM

I live in Cincinnati and am looking for a midwife for my homebirth! I was also considering a U/C because it's near impossible to find a midwife here! Would you be willing to share your midwifes information?
#10 of 10 Old 09-25-2012, 09:30 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

duplicate post

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page