Name question..would this be too weird? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-02-2011, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Dh and I have wanted to name one of our girls (we plan on having a few children) after my Great grandmother (Hannah). This was one of the names we had picked when we were expecting DS.

We don't know the sex of this baby (didn't with DS either) and have two boy names and two girl names. BUT if womb personality is true this baby leans more towards a Hannah.

Anyway so the weird part. My great grandmother just died (she would have been 99 in three weeks Amazing women) So we were like "wouldn't it be nice if it was a girl honor her just after she pasted" 

Well...now its possible the baby may be born on her birthday.

Would it be too weird to have our DD share a birthday and a name with my great grandmother? If she were still alive it would be a 'oh isn't that funny' but now i'm wondering if its just weird....

I still love the name and I know that its a slim chance, but figured I'd get other peoples takes....

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#2 of 11 Old 02-02-2011, 11:48 AM

I don't think that would be weird at all. I think it would be incredibly special, especially if your great grandmother was important to you. I plan on naming my DD (should I ever have one) after my grandma, and if they shared the same birthday, that would be so special to me that I'm unable to put it into words. :) Good luck!

#3 of 11 Old 02-02-2011, 01:12 PM

I'm not one for "naming after," but I don't think this would be weird at all.  It'd be kind of beautiful, really.

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
#4 of 11 Old 02-02-2011, 01:18 PM

I think it sounds lovely and not weird at all.

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#5 of 11 Old 02-02-2011, 02:04 PM

I love the name Hannah. We were actually considering that name! I don't think it would be strange at all and kind of cool if that all worked out. Both my girls were born on one of their great grandmothers bdays and I've always thought that was cool. We do family names for middle names so that's a connection too. Very cool!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#6 of 11 Old 02-02-2011, 02:39 PM

Sounds like a wonderful tribute to a wonderful lady!!  What a way to honor a loved-one.

#7 of 11 Old 02-02-2011, 05:11 PM
tzs

no way...that would be amazing!

in the jewish tradition we name only after deceased relatives (not living ones) and the day a person dies is actually looked upon as a very very special day. so i think that would be fate that you really can't ignore.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#8 of 11 Old 02-02-2011, 06:37 PM

Not weird at all.  I love names that have a family connection and that would certainly be a connection!

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#9 of 11 Old 02-02-2011, 09:12 PM

this baby was concived just a year after my great grandma passed and is due in her birth month. If i go post dates ( which is highly unlikley ) the baby would be born on her birthday. we are having the bay if it is a girl to have her frist name as the baby's middle name. I think it would be a very special wy to honour your grandma

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#10 of 11 Old 02-02-2011, 09:14 PM

Not weird at all.

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

#11 of 11 Old 02-03-2011, 04:59 AM

I was born shortly after my grandmother died and my middle name is her first name. I love it and love the connection I have with her, even though I never knew her. I refused to dump the middle name when I got married and have 'kept' all my names (middle and maiden) because I love the connections they give to my family. I say go for it!

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page