What names are you too chicken to name your babies? - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-07-2011, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Anyone who has eaten a pea on the beach by the sea?  While drinking tea?  lol.gif  It is a very pretty name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactatinggirl View Post

Our daughter is Dea (dee-ah) and I love that no one has ever heard of her name before. Sometimes they try to pronounce it Dee, but it's easily corrected. Really, who would think the A is silent?

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
I love the name Ginny from Harry Potter, but I'm not so sure I'm hot on Ginerva

De-lurking to say that Ginny is also a nickname for Virginia. thumb.gif

Old 08-07-2011, 07:05 PM

I thought about naming my son Wolfgang Gandalf, but we decided that it would be a too nerdy! So he is Wolfgang Auriel instead.

We are going to name our daughter (theoretical daughter) Bellatrix Serepta. I love all of the Harry Potter and LOTR baby names!!! Theodin is a really good one!

FIREdevil.gifJessima, devilish wife to tiphat.gifKelleypa and bellycast.gif mama to 3rdtri.gif Wolf EDD 10/04/11.

Looking forward to a wonderful  waterbirth.jpg followed by some tasty placenta.gif and thencd.gif  intactlact.gif familybed1.gif homeschool.gif

Old 08-07-2011, 07:50 PM

It's short for Ginevra, which is pretty close, but for me it changes the sound of the name enough that I prefer it quite a bit to Ginerva.  Or there is Ginger.  You might also be able to use Genevieve, or any name that uses Jen as a nickname.  

Quote:

Oh and I love the name Ginny from Harry Potter, but I'm not so sure I'm hot on Ginerva.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

Old 08-14-2011, 08:25 PM

Not going to post the name yet 'til the baby is born since I think I have some IRL lurkers, thumb.gif, but DH and I decided to name the baby a name that we both love, but I have been too chicken to use.  DH never cares what other people think and it's the only name we BOTH really like (and this is girl #5 . . .we have slim pickins since our tastes are so different) . . .so, yeah, we are going to use it.

I am not telling ANYONE, though.  Let people make their comments about us once the cute baby is here.  Otherwise, we'll get a lot of flack beforehand!  Again, DH won't care, but it'll make me start from square one, and I have seriously reached the end of the baby name search . . .there are no names out there I have not heard!  I can't take it anymore!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

Old 08-16-2011, 04:10 PM

Here are a few that I and DH have tossed around and giggled at.

Levon -Yes like the Elton John song that always makes me smile.

Jondalar- From Jean M. Auel 's Earths Children series. I just love that name and how it sounds when you say it.

Marthona and Folara- From the same book series.

Auric- Pronounced like ORECK vacuum cleaners.... I love the spelling but not sold because of how it sounds. One of DH's favorites though.

Thursday- I always thought it would be awesome to name your kid a day of the week but I am way to chicken to do so.

Epoch or Pleistocene- Wouldn't it be awesomely pretentious of someone to name their kid a geological time classification. 

That's all I've got. Maximum nerd level for the day reached..... Bolt.gif

Artist wife to dh_malesling.GIF. Mom to DSS superhero.gif (3 yrs) and DD (04/12).  brokenheart.gif (2/28/10). winner.jpgcd.gif

Old 08-16-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjjazzy View Post

i can't even begin to imagine how ELSE you could pronounce calliope but the proper way??? it's pretty phonetic.

You'd be surprised! My name is Erin and I can't tell you how many different ways people butcher it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

We probably will name our next girl (if we have one!) Calliope. It was all set to be DD's middle name, but we changed out mine at the last minute. Plus, I think Adaline and Calliope go better as sibling names (Ada and Calli).

Our big chicken out was (thankfully we had a girl, so we havent actually chickened on this one yet) Max Danger. Yes, Danger as a middle name. I think its soooo cool, and DH loves it too, but he thinks its to "superhero-ey"....I see no problem with that other than the rash of sh*t we'd get from the family :))

Wasn't Max Danger the character Seth Green played in the action movie they made on My Name is Earl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebe's Mom View Post

So funny, I had to reply..My daughter's name is Eleanor Catherine and my aunt calls her Ellie Cat. I am not a fan...sorry. It's cute, but it just doesn't fit her at all. I really like the name Eliana, though.

I know a little girl named Eowyn, I love that name. Another good Tolkien name is Galadriel.

I also like Guinevere. Lyra is a cool name too. I really love Fionnuala, but that is impossible to pronounce, and really obscure in America, but I just think it is awesome...

If I had a son I would want to name him Brendan, but I know DH wouldn't agree. Not an unusual name, but for my family it is a big leap-everyone has the same names.

I like Galadriel and Guinevere too! My DH won't agree to anything unusual.

Erin~ Mommy to 3 curly-headed children and expecting #4 in December. ***4***8***12**16***20***24***28***32***36***40**
Old 08-17-2011, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:

Our daughter is Dea (dee-ah) and I love that no one has ever heard of her name before. Sometimes they try to pronounce it Dee, but it's easily corrected. Really, who would think the A is silent? If we have a boy (currently pregnant with #2), it'll be Gideon. We're not religious, but my husband has always loved the name.

I had a friend named Dea when I was a kid. I'm not sure how they spelled it, though. I'm pretty sure it wasn't Dia, because even then I think I would have known if it had been intended as the Spanish word for day, but Dea doesn't feel quite right, either.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:05 PM

Elwood.

It was my grandpa's name, who I loved, and would love to honour.  

Plus, it's James Stewart's character's name in Harvey, one of my favourite classic movies. 

But, I'm not sure if just any kid could pull off a name like Elwood? 

And, Vangy. (Like Angie, with a V.)

It's my middle name, and I totally love it, but I'm don't know if it would make a good first name.  I can't really picture it as a professional name.

"Well behaved women seldom make history." Laurel Ulrich   To make my mark I familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.giffly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFhbac.gif waterbirth.jpgcd.gif adoptionheart-1.gif, among other things,  and try to live a sustainable, natural life. My brood includes DD1, DS1 2 and 3, and expecting another in Aug 2014. 
Old 08-17-2011, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:

Thursday- I always thought it would be awesome to name your kid a day of the week but I am way to chicken to do so.

Wasn't Nicole Kidman's daughter called Sunday Rose? And I do believe someone in my DDC called her daughter Saturday.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I usually like names nobody I know would every consider.  I love Blair or Roxie.  I wanted so bad to use the name Winnie, but it was a big NO!  I've always liked Harvest as well.  I've considered names that came from books I enjoyed But... Demi had to go and use Scout.  Jerk.  Not that I can't use it but... you know it's not as cool to me anymore. 

I love love love the name Silas Grey, for a boy.  My DH agrees it's a good one.  Never know.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

I usually like names nobody I know would every consider.  I love Blair or Roxie.  I wanted so bad to use the name Winnie, but it was a big NO!  I've always liked Harvest as well.  I've considered names that came from books I enjoyed But... Demi had to go and use Scout.  Jerk.  Not that I can't use it but... you know it's not as cool to me anymore. 

I love love love the name Silas Grey, for a boy.  My DH agrees it's a good one.  Never know.

I love the name Blair.  I also love Silas.  Silas Grey is very handsome!  :)

Blair reminds me of another favorite name of mine, Blaine.  The only problem with it is that my uncle is named Blaine.  And he's kind of a jerk.  :(

Sarah, partner to J and mom to DD1 April 30th, 2002 and DD2 May 5th, 2012. love.gif

Old 08-17-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Wasn't Nicole Kidman's daughter called Sunday Rose? And I do believe someone in my DDC called her daughter Saturday.

Yeah it is. Pretty awesome name in my opinion. :)

Artist wife to dh_malesling.GIF. Mom to DSS superhero.gif (3 yrs) and DD (04/12).  brokenheart.gif (2/28/10). winner.jpgcd.gif

Old 08-18-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennyvangy View Post

And, Vangy. (Like Angie, with a V.)

The only issue I see with that is it getting mispronounced. I could totally read that as rhyming with bang-y or mangy instead of with Angie.

Maybe you could name the baby Evangeline and call her Vangy for short? Then she'd still have a long version of the name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjjazzy View Post

i can't even begin to imagine how ELSE you could pronounce calliope but the proper way??? it's pretty phonetic.

Cally-oap? (Rhyming with soap.) I think that's actually more of an intuitive pronunciation than the proper way. Or Cally-oapy.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

Quote:

Maybe you could name the baby Evangeline and call her Vangy for short? Then she'd still have a long version of the name.

Oh, I actually really like that!  You may have just solved my life long problem. 

"Well behaved women seldom make history." Laurel Ulrich   To make my mark I familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.giffly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFhbac.gif waterbirth.jpgcd.gif adoptionheart-1.gif, among other things,  and try to live a sustainable, natural life. My brood includes DD1, DS1 2 and 3, and expecting another in Aug 2014. 
Old 08-19-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post

Solace, for a boy.  "Sol," for short.

Stormy, Poppy, Anais for a girl.

Story, Lake, for either.

Poppy.  Clementine.  Seven.  Ever.

Still might use any of them, though!  I try to imagine if our child grows up to be a corporate lawyer (*eek*), and how he or she would feel with any given name.

My SIL's name is Anais.  The only downside with it, I think, is that most people tend to have a hard time pronouncing it completely correct. They tend to put too much emphasis on the ending 's' than there should be.  But it's a beautiful name.  You should use it!

I tend to love foreign names and DH just can't do it.  I wanted Luca for our son but 'a' is feminine in Spanish so he wouldn't allow it.  I also like Irish names but most people have no idea how to pronounce the uncommon ones so I decided they are to be the middle names if I ever get any girls.  Sophia Meadhbh (Maeve) or Elena Róisín (Rosheen).

Old 08-19-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalamos23 View Post

We are very seriously considering River as our little boy's name... but I am so on the fence about it! I really want it but I'm afraid it won't wear well as an adult (middle name would be James and he could totally go by that if he wanted, and we thought Riv would be a cool nickname as well). 

So I dunno. River as our girl's name sounded more feasible to me for some reason. 

River is not a new name.  It's very old.  I have a great-great uncle named Forest River Fields!  That was in the 1800s.  I don't see anything wrong with using it at all.  I find it a very strong masculine name so I actually think it work great on a boy/man.

Old 08-20-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelsMommy View Post

You'd be surprised! My name is Erin and I can't tell you how many different ways people butcher it.

Wasn't Max Danger the character Seth Green played in the action movie they made on My Name is Earl?

I like Galadriel and Guinevere too! My DH won't agree to anything unusual.

. Shockingly, since I moved to Texas....I have had my name mispronounces many times and my name is Lisa! How does anyone mispronounce the name Lisa?
Old 08-20-2011, 03:42 PM

I liked Petunia or Caledonia.  

Husband nixed, and I see why.

Kids. I got two of 'em.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukedwifey View Post

River is not a new name.  It's very old.  I have a great-great uncle named Forest River Fields!  That was in the 1800s.  I don't see anything wrong with using it at all.  I find it a very strong masculine name so I actually think it work great on a boy/man.

Forest River Fields...that is the awesome-ist name ever.  Did he love the outdoors?

Sarah, partner to J and mom to DD1 April 30th, 2002 and DD2 May 5th, 2012. love.gif

Old 08-24-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleMa View Post

Forest River Fields...that is the awesome-ist name ever.  Did he love the outdoors?

Agree--it just may be the most awesome name I've ever heard!

And I have a son named River.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:08 AM

I like Bentley for a boy but my hubby says it's stupid! And, I like Delilah, Savannah and Scarlett for a girl. (:

Old 08-25-2011, 07:40 AM

I love a lot of Latino sounding boy names, but my family's about as non-Latino as you can get, with a very German last name, so they're pretty much off the table.  Some of my favorites:  Lorenzo, Francisco, Fernando (with Nando as a nickname), Felipe, Sacramento (doubly undoable as we also live in California and I wouldn't want people to think we named him after Sacramento the place, which I don't love!), Salvador.  Lots of them have more anglo equivalents (Lawrence vs Lorenzo) but I almost never like them.

Similarly but even further from feasibility for my kids, I looooove Japanese names for boys and girls.  Too many favorites to list. 

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

Old 08-25-2011, 02:00 PM

Constantine

We both really like the name but, it's just a little to far outside of normal for me.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleMa View Post

I honestly have no idea.  I think my mom said he did.  Said he was some kind of pioneer or something but he was long gone before I was around.  My family is old.  My grandfather passed away when he was 90 in 1989.  I was 8!

Old 08-27-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukedwifey View Post

I honestly have no idea.  I think my mom said he did.  Said he was some kind of pioneer or something but he was long gone before I was around.  My family is old.  My grandfather passed away when he was 90 in 1989.  I was 8!

We're the same age. :)  My family lives a long time, but we have our children young.  My great grandma is still alive, in her mid 90s.  :)  We have 5 generations of first born daughters alive right now. :)

Old 08-27-2011, 03:27 PM

Not pregnant ATM, but I saw this thread and love to talk names...so there ya go!!

I used to nanny to a little boy whose middle name was Parker and really liked it. The Parker is actually a name on the table. Our current favorite boy name is Nikolas Parker, but we'd call him Parker. We've already also told people our girl name we like as well, which some think is a bit hippie, but I don't care: Penelope Sage.

My husband LOVES Star Wars and wanted to name a boy Luke, but since my brother already has a Luke, I said no way. I also vetoed Leia, even though it's pretty just cause it's so obviously a Star Wars name. My compromises are that we named the cat Amidala (but we call her Ami...pronounced Ah-mee)...and that I promised DH that in the highly unlikely event we ended up with boy/girl twins that we could totally name them Walker and Skye (I also used to nanny a little girl named Skye and always thought it was a pretty name).

Our angel babies got names that we would have never given to a baby who came to term...but I figured that I could totally use my "weird" names on them, cause who would say something negative about them (if they even care to know...since people are kinda weird about miscarried babies). Our first angel baby is Riley Leilani and our second one is Paisley Huckleberry. 

Reading through this thread I saw some names I've seen on friend's kids...like Poppy and Pepper (they are sisters), Malcolm (totally awesome name BTW), etc.

Married to my computer geek since 11.04.06. Mama to our little dude Bug (born 7.14.09, peanut allergy, asthma) and our rainbow baby girl Sweetpea (born 4.14.13). Forever missing my angel babies--Riley, Paisley, and Waverley!!

Decluttering my life...

Old 08-28-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldandsleepy View Post

I love a lot of Latino sounding boy names, but my family's about as non-Latino as you can get, with a very German last name, so they're pretty much off the table.  Some of my favorites:  Lorenzo, Francisco, Fernando (with Nando as a nickname), Felipe, Sacramento (doubly undoable as we also live in California and I wouldn't want people to think we named him after Sacramento the place, which I don't love!), Salvador.  Lots of them have more anglo equivalents (Lawrence vs Lorenzo) but I almost never like them.

me, too :) i love the name salvador.

Mama to boy born 7/18/11 and another on the way in November '13  Rainbow.gif

Old 08-30-2011, 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snugglebugmom View Post

And for a boy, I love Aragorn. Our oldest is also named for a character in Lord of the Rings, and Aragorn is one of my favorite characters. But the name is just a little too "out there" for me. 

Do you mind sharing your oldest's name?  I am also named for Lord of the Rings and don't often hear of others with my name/a name along the same lines! :-)

Homebirthing | Babywearing | Clothdiapering | Cosleeping | Mama

Old 08-30-2011, 06:31 AM

Oh, and I love, love, love Ralph, but it would be tragically mispronounced most of the time, and I just don't like the spelling 'Rafe'. Sigh.

Could you spell it Raif? Or Raiph? (But that would be read as Ralph probably.)

User Tag List