What names are you too chicken to name your babies? - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 592 Old 08-30-2011, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

HI! I LOVE Lucius. We named our 2nd little boy Lucius Emmanuel. He is my little baby light! His older brother is Roman Gabriel.

Good luck! Harry Potter's Lucius ended up helping in the end (I think, I'm not a huge follower, just saw the movies).

#422 of 592 Old 08-30-2011, 06:29 PM

I really love Brautigan, after the author Richard Brautigan, but we weren't brave enough to use it this time. Maybe for the next baby's middle name... ha. We did briefly joke about naming our girl Rosasharn (spelled as one word, like they called her in GoW), but had others we liked better. I also love Charlotte (but it doesn't flow well with our last name at all) and Sparrow. Harper is beautiful to me and has the added benefit of association w/ Harper Lee, but seems pretty trendy at the moment so I don't know if I'd really use it. I'm really partial to Reuben, but as my husband and I both work in sandwich shops at the moment that's out. :) 

#423 of 592 Old 08-30-2011, 06:38 PM

I also love Charlotte (but it doesn't flow well with our last name at all) and Sparrow. Harper is beautiful to me and has the added benefit of association w/ Harper Lee, but seems pretty trendy at the moment so I don't know if I'd really use it.

#424 of 592 Old 08-30-2011, 06:41 PM

#425 of 592 Old 08-30-2011, 07:03 PM

Just for the sake of nerdiness, Lucius and his family did not help in the end but they did not fight with the Death Eaters.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by annalou View Post

HI! I LOVE Lucius. We named our 2nd little boy Lucius Emmanuel. He is my little baby light! His older brother is Roman Gabriel.

Good luck! Harry Potter's Lucius ended up helping in the end (I think, I'm not a huge follower, just saw the movies).

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#426 of 592 Old 08-30-2011, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

My DD's middle name is Pascal.  Sort of after the mathematician but DH really got the idea from a really bad TV show :)  If she had been a boy, DH really wanted Coan Maimonides. At the time my grandfather had recently passed away so I told him it would have to be Coan Stanley, but now I don't think that excuse would fly anymore.

-Marisa, ecstatic mommy to amazing DD Sidonie, 2/07 :
#427 of 592 Old 08-30-2011, 10:16 PM

When I hear Lucius I think of The Village. Not a bad thought. I really like that movie.

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#428 of 592 Old 08-31-2011, 12:27 AM

So DH is set on giving this baby the middle name Danger.  Like dead-set on it.  I said she can have a middle name that starts with D, but we can't find one we actually like.  So then I was thinking, maybe there is another way to spell Danger, but I am not really liking anything I can come up with, or some kind of diminuitive. Dh does NOT like Danae or Danielle, which are the only two D names I like that much.  My family is going to freak out if we actually name this child Eowyn Danger Robles.  The name is growing on me, but I can't tell if I'm just nuts. 

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

#429 of 592 Old 08-31-2011, 06:14 AM

I love naming my kids very unique/rare names. If I have heard, known, or seen anyone with a name that immediately puts me off. I only use names I have never ever seen anywhere before. I just can't bring myself to use the common names even though there are a few really cute old-fashioned ones I like, I like rare ones way more. I also give several middle names so they have some options if they don't like the first name. The middle names are always pretty rare too, but ones which I am certain I wouldn't ever want to use as a first name, but love all the same. And the first name has to have at least one really great nickname- this is essential because I always shorten names so I have to love the nickname as much as the name. Generally the names I like best have several nickname choices that I like. I just love names and I don't think I could ever have enough kids to use all the names I love LOL. There are just too many beautiful options out there :). 

Also I realized that my kids have the kind of names where they would fit-in in a LOTR kind of setting or medieval setting of some kind. They don't have names from there- just ones that would suit that kind of thing- beautiful sounding elaborate names. I didn't realize this pattern till trying to name number 3, so now I kind of want to fit any future children's names into that pattern so they all kind of suit one another. I like some really cool sounding names, and also a lot of the nature names, but neither of those types really fit in with my DD and DS's names. Im not really 'into' LOTR. I think they are very cool movies, but wouldn't say it's my thing or anything- haven't read the books or any sci-fi really TBH. But the names for places and people are so beautiful. I definitely tend to gravitate towards Gaelic, Celtic and Welsh names the most. 

There is only one well-known name I really have always loved the sound of but will probably never use....LOLITA....because of the sexual nymph connotations :(. I did watch a bollywood movie with a character called Lalita- which is a pretty alternative. But I guess I don't love it as much. I think Lolly/Lalli/Lola are such cute nicknames, but no mother would want people to think of their little girl that way- or even their grown daughter! So it will probably sit on my names list never getting used. Apart from that one there are none which I wouldn't use if I loved them.

I have seen Eden mentioned heaps in this thread for girls and just wanted to say its also a boys name. I know a man Eden who is about 30, very handsome with sparkling blue eyes and dark hair and suits him perfectly! Really beautiful name!

Harper (girl) + Griffin (boy) are names I have really liked for a long time but never wanted to use myself, but they are popular nowadays. Hermione is also really nice sounding, but not into Harry Potter at all :) Someone mentioned Theodin up thread as well and I thought it was cool when pronounced Thee-odin, but even more awesome as Thay-odin! Have to fight the urge to add it to my name list LOL. And Theo is a really cute nickname too. You should definitely go for it! The world has enough William's and Matthews! :)

#430 of 592 Old 08-31-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paigekitten View Post

So DH is set on giving this baby the middle name Danger.  Like dead-set on it.  I said she can have a middle name that starts with D, but we can't find one we actually like.  So then I was thinking, maybe there is another way to spell Danger, but I am not really liking anything I can come up with, or some kind of diminuitive. Dh does NOT like Danae or Danielle, which are the only two D names I like that much.  My family is going to freak out if we actually name this child Eowyn Danger Robles.  The name is growing on me, but I can't tell if I'm just nuts. 

Danger is so cute for a girl!

#431 of 592 Old 08-31-2011, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I really like the Danger as a middle name idea!

My husband is Russian and I love Russian theater and before we knew our baby's gender, I wanted to use the name Vassilissa which is used in one of my favorite plays, but my husband vetoed it. 

Working mom and grad student with a weird husband, a few cats, and a nifty kid!   Anton, born 8/9/11 jog.gif

#432 of 592 Old 08-31-2011, 09:51 AM

The one name I'm stuck on but haven't had the guts to use is Philomena.  Love the meaning, the sound, the saint's story and "Mena" as a nn.  Dh doesn't object but I can't quite bring myself to do it.    I'm also slightly concerned that the nn "Mena" may turn into "Meanie", ya know?  We have previously chosen Annakin for a boy who turned out to be a girl (before the new trilogy of SW films, specifically after the son of Han and Leia in the books....yeah THAT nerdy).  One of my boys would have been Willamina, which somehow didn't seem as out there as Philomena because Wilhelmina was my Grandma's name.  

I also really love Cecilia, but it doesn't work at all with our last name, which starts with "S" and has an "L" in it as well.  I'm considering Felicity, which has the same softness but doesn't sound like a snake hissing when you say it with our last name. LOL  

I've also found myself considering Ruby and Poppy, but all our kids have traditional, old-fashioned under used names, so they wouldn't really fit.  Maybe for middle names.  I did name some Fable babies these names. LOL  

I love Philippa and Pippa, too but those are going to become so popular for Princess Kate's sister.  I may go for it anyway.  Dh and I both feel that this one is a boy this time, so all these girl names are probably moot.  I still love the name we chose if one of our twins was a boy, so we'll probably go with that and use my late FIL's name for middle.  Oh, but if we have twin boys, I'm considering putting Colin/Collin/Collen on my list, from The Secret Garden.

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#433 of 592 Old 08-31-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukedwifey View Post

River is not a new name.  It's very old.  I have a great-great uncle named Forest River Fields!  That was in the 1800s.  I don't see anything wrong with using it at all.  I find it a very strong masculine name so I actually think it work great on a boy/man.

Oooh, I love that!  My (future, potential) child's last name will be Fields and I've been fretting a bit over that last name, because most of my favorite kids names are nature-y like Juniper, Cedar, Lily, Cedarose, Ginger, etc and I feel like it might be a bit "much."  But if someone in the 1800s could do it, so can I!    Also, and this one is just NOT going to happen, I loooove the name Smith for a boy (mom's maiden name, dh's dad's middle name) but Smith Fields?  NO WAY.  It's that awful ham company that has all thier pig production facilities in south america where they have lax (or no?) animal cruelty laws.    Super sad face here!!! 

Married to my sweetie and enjoying life with our fabulous dog.  Expecting #1 in August 2012!!!!

#434 of 592 Old 08-31-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaika View Post

I really like the Danger as a middle name idea!

My husband is Russian and I love Russian theater and before we knew our baby's gender, I wanted to use the name Vassilissa which is used in one of my favorite plays, but my husband vetoed it. 

I like Vasilisa!  It's from that Russian fairy tale about Baba Yaga, right?  Love that story.

Married to my sweetie and enjoying life with our fabulous dog.  Expecting #1 in August 2012!!!!

#435 of 592 Old 08-31-2011, 12:03 PM

This is the best thread ever! I've been reading over several days - so entertaining and time-sucking! I'm also not pregnant, but just love baby names. We have an Ozzy and a Marley. So we're kind of out there. A little bit.

Some of our too chicken names:

Persephone, Echo, Rumi, Texas (my home state; Tex is SUCH a cute nn!), Sheherazade (loved the nn Shera, but everyone would mispronounce it She-Ra!), Bathsheba (nn Bash, heard nn in a movie with Cate Blanchett).

Love love love Persophone, nn Persi, but my oldest, 2 at the time, said it in a very awful way (female anatomy) so that I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

#436 of 592 Old 08-31-2011, 01:05 PM

The first thing I was going to name my second son was Allan Spencer and our last name begins with S.  Fortunately, I realized that his initials would have been A.S.S.!  I decided on Allan Kimball, which was the last name of someone I really admired, who had recently passed away.  A.K.S. is better.  My granddaughter now has the same initials.

#437 of 592 Old 08-31-2011, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Can't confirm this for sure, but I heard of a family who named their baby (girl I think) Meconium because they thought it sounded nice (even though they knew the meaning).

Sounds like a Roman general.

Quote:

Also I realized that my kids have the kind of names where they would fit-in in a LOTR kind of setting or medieval setting of some kind. They don't have names from there- just ones that would suit that kind of thing- beautiful sounding elaborate names. I didn't realize this pattern till trying to name number 3, so now I kind of want to fit any future children's names into that pattern so they all kind of suit one another. I like some really cool sounding names, and also a lot of the nature names, but neither of those types really fit in with my DD and DS's names. Im not really 'into' LOTR. I think they are very cool movies, but wouldn't say it's my thing or anything- haven't read the books or any sci-fi really TBH. But the names for places and people are so beautiful. I definitely tend to gravitate towards Gaelic, Celtic and Welsh names the most.

Heh. My kids have semi-intentionally LOTRy names too. Not flowery Elvish ones, though - ore like hobbity ones. In fact, a few weeks after I named DD Rowan I checked the Appendices and found out that one of Sam's female ancestors was called Rowan. DS is Miles, who, now I come to think of it, might have been a Proudfoot... *checks* No, wait, that was a guy who worked on Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Heh. Awesome. Anyway, Miles seems like it could have been a hobbit. There was a Milo in there somewhere...

Anyway, it's not so much that I deliberately went for a LOTR vibe; I just like the English, cosy, homely sort of names, and I'm a big Tolkien fan, so it just happened. I like the way Rowan and Miles go together, but if we ever have a third child I have no idea what we'll name it. Once you get locked into a pattern...

I do like Rose, and like but would probably wimp out on Merry and Pippin.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#438 of 592 Old 08-31-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

...snip...

There is only one well-known name I really have always loved the sound of but will probably never use....LOLITA....because of the sexual nymph connotations :(. I did watch a bollywood movie with a character called Lalita- which is a pretty alternative. But I guess I don't love it as much. I think Lolly/Lalli/Lola are such cute nicknames, but no mother would want people to think of their little girl that way- or even their grown daughter! So it will probably sit on my names list never getting used. Apart from that one there are none which I wouldn't use if I loved them.

I have seen Eden mentioned heaps in this thread for girls and just wanted to say its also a boys name. I know a man Eden who is about 30, very handsome with sparkling blue eyes and dark hair and suits him perfectly! Really beautiful name!

...snip...

There's a little girl at the school I work at named Lolly.  I've only heard it said, so I'm not sure of the spelling or if it's short for anything.  They call her Lollipop though, and I think it's adorable.  We also have a Lola. :)

And, I know a lady who recently had a baby boy and named him Eden.  I had never heard it for a boy before, but it's nice. :)

Sarah, partner to J and mom to DD1 April 30th, 2002 and DD2 May 5th, 2012. love.gif

#439 of 592 Old 08-31-2011, 02:54 PM

LOVE the name Velouria for a girl as I am a huge Pixies fan, but dh would have none of it.

Not many of the names I loved seem all that weird to me, but dh said that he should just buy me "The Great Big Book of Hippie Names" and be done with it....hehe what can I say?

Others I loved but couldn't use:

GIRL

Shilo (dd1 was very nearly Shilo, but everyone kept telling us that it was a dog's name and it put dh off - this was WELL before Brangelina (1999)

Haven

Noa

Vega

Jericha

Azura

BOY

Paxton (always loved this name, and suggested it every pregnancy! - again w the Brangelina as I woulda called him Pax, and again pre-them)

Theodore

Eli

Leo

Silas

Thaddeus

Our kids ended up being named Autumn, Maia Jaye and Jude :)

Certified Crazy™ Wife to my Spiderman husband luxlove.gif(Aug '01)

Super proud Momma  to DD (Jan'00), DD (Apr '02) and DS (Jun '04)

Always loving and missing our Baby James angel.gif born sleeping at 19 weeks (July '03).

signcirc1.gif

#440 of 592 Old 08-31-2011, 02:59 PM

Ah, Leo is another name I love, but my sister has a Leah, and our husbands already share a name, so how much confusion can our families take?

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#441 of 592 Old 08-31-2011, 05:20 PM

I have read some of the comments and I know kids or relatives that have a lot of these names.  I have cousins named Rupert, Linnea, Sapphire, Gisele, Peony, Rowan and Hawthorne.  A nephew Roman and know a Haven (boy) Orien, Eden, Elsie, Griffin, Calliope and Electra.  Other more unusual ones that of kids I know but haven't read on here (but could easily have been mentioned) are Franco, Marco, Isadore (boy)  Emmanuel (boy).  I have two girls Mirabelle and Adalaide and am done with kids, still love the names Seraphina, Emillianna, Clementine, Dashel (Dash), Beatrix and Hazel. I have a very common name and grew up always wanting a more unusual name so I gave them to my kids.

Mother of M. born 7 weeks early Nov 2006 and A. born Dec 2008 and married to a wonderful man.

#442 of 592 Old 08-31-2011, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thanking about #3....  My two daughters are Rainey and Breeze- so I am not chicken at all.... 

For #3 on my list right now for a boy are: Journey Cray or River Cray  (My nickname from my husband is Crayon (hence the user name!) so I have always wanted to use Cray as the middle name).

For a girl: Blaze or Beryl (no middle names thought of)

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks
#443 of 592 Old 08-31-2011, 06:07 PM

I love Breeze and Journey, but I especially love Beryl. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayon View Post

Thanking about #3....  My two daughters are Rainey and Breeze- so I am not chicken at all.... 

For #3 on my list right now for a boy are: Journey Cray or River Cray  (My nickname from my husband is Crayon (hence the user name!) so I have always wanted to use Cray as the middle name).

For a girl: Blaze or Beryl (no middle names thought of)

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#444 of 592 Old 08-31-2011, 06:42 PM

Can I be a total dork and say I also LOVE the names of the Tinkerbell movie fairies- Iridessa, Videa, Rosetta, Silvermist and Fawn haha. But would never use them. :)

#445 of 592 Old 08-31-2011, 08:36 PM

I'm WAY late in this game, and not sure if "Tiramisu" has been mentioned, (not reading through 444 posts tonight to find out, either! :D ) but I've always thought it would be loveiy for a girl! Adorable for a kid with some possible adult nicknames. Plus being my favorite dessert! But I just had who is likely my last little love, and while it took us a couple of weeks to work out her full name, I just couldn't get "Tiramisu" into the mix! Lol...

I did get a little out of my comfort zone with a hyphenated first name I thought I'd never use, and am really happy I did. It just fits her so perfectly!

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#446 of 592 Old 08-31-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snugglebugmom View Post

What a fun thread!!

Smokering, "Rose of Sharon" actually comes from the Bible, Song of Solomon 2:1. I think it's lovely too, but you're right, a three-part name might be a bit daunting.

As for me, I love Calliope for a girl. Unfortunately no one knows how to pronounce it, and DH thinks it's pretentious.

I also love Lyric, I think it's just beautiful. But it's the name I started out with role-playing in MSN Gor chat, and it has very strong, personal ties for me. I wouldn't want to put that on a tiny baby girl.

And for a boy, I love Aragorn. Our oldest is also named for a character in Lord of the Rings, and Aragorn is one of my favorite characters. But the name is just a little too "out there" for me. 

I can't wait to read what other ladies come up with, I might just get an idea for our newest addition!

weird, my friend just had a baby girl and gave the middle name Calliope

and my 2nd son is Stryder - Aragorn's other name for you non-LOTR fans :)

I don't exactly hold back on names hehe, I have Styder, Morpheus and the new one is Zelda or Lando

#447 of 592 Old 09-01-2011, 06:36 AM

I love the name Ianto (yahn-toe) but have a guinea pig with that name.  My suspicion is that I would never hear the end of it if my family and friends found out I'd named my human child after one of my guinea pigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanromaniac View Post

Our current fave boy name is Nikolas Parker (and we'd call him Parker) and some friends of ours tease us about that since they have a dog named Parker, saying that we are gonna name our (future) kid after their dog!!

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#448 of 592 Old 09-01-2011, 09:56 AM

Hannelore and Avigail. I would love to use those for a daughter, but they are really too much for anyone to pronounce correctly in this country.

I took a chance with my daughter's name, and I've just let people use the "English" pronunciation to save us all a lot of grief.

My exH's mother still pronounces it correctly: I love her for that. clap.gif

Working jammin.gif Student Mama to a energy.gif4 y/o.

#449 of 592 Old 09-01-2011, 10:52 AM

For a girl, I like Lava.  I had a 4x great grandma with that name, and I think it is so awesome!  But I would be scared to use it.  My husband swears though that if we ever have a girl, he wants to use it! 

For a boy, I like Shannon and Ashley.  Alas, they are generally girl names now.  

#450 of 592 Old 09-01-2011, 11:29 AM

Oh, I love Ianto, too!  If my last baby had been a boy, it was high up on my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldandsleepy View Post

I love the name Ianto (yahn-toe) but have a guinea pig with that name.  My suspicion is that I would never hear the end of it if my family and friends found out I'd named my human child after one of my guinea pigs.

At-home mom to a teenager, an infant, and three in between!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page