What names are you too chicken to name your babies? - Page 20 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#571 of 592 Old 11-15-2011, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I love that so many people have said Juniper.  That and Marigold are my favorite girl names, but my husband would not be too keen on them.

For a boy, Kass.  My mother despises it, but I just picture him growing up into an introverted, intelligent rock star.  Haha...

#572 of 592 Old 11-18-2011, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Not sure if this one has been mentioned..... Atticus

from To Kill A Mockingbird

Couldn't do it but like it :)

#573 of 592 Old 11-19-2011, 10:28 AM

Back to add two to the girl list of rejected names:

Elodie/Elody

and

Ellory

I love both, but we already have an Elliot...

Distraction is not the same thing as play.
Be part of the diaper free revolution. 

DS1, 6 years.  DS2, 4 years.  DS3, brand new!  (April 2012)

#574 of 592 Old 11-19-2011, 10:45 AM

I'm a very traditional namer, but every since I was pg with my son I have LOVED the name Paisley for a girl.

I'm 99% sure I would never have the courage to use it, though.

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

#575 of 592 Old 11-19-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belia View Post

I'm a very traditional namer, but every since I was pg with my son I have LOVED the name Paisley for a girl.

I'm 99% sure I would never have the courage to use it, though.

I know a Paisley and I like it.  I never thought it was a weird name, just not common.  Use it. :)

Mama to three

#576 of 592 Old 11-19-2011, 09:02 PM

I was looking through some genealogy information that my uncle printed out for me a couple of years ago. Here were some names I found interesting:

Boy

Circie

Wavy

Cavender

Tavender (This will be the name I pick if we are having a boy)

Warden

Cicero

Redding  (If only I knew my child would be a jazz musician!)

Absolom ( I LOVE this name)

Girl

Sina

Zellelda 

Marcella (Like from the Robert E.E.Martin novels!)

Artela

Prudence (Always loved this name)

Paradine

Rosaline

Valentine

Just though I'd share. I picked Tavender because he was the uncle my grandfather always told stories about and I loved the name! Pretty interesting to think about. I bet some of these names people would jump on these days! 

Artist wife to dh_malesling.GIF. Mom to DSS superhero.gif (3 yrs) and DD (04/12).  brokenheart.gif (2/28/10). winner.jpgcd.gif

#577 of 592 Old 11-20-2011, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

csekywithlove: Wow! That's one neat family tree! Mine's all full of people named John. Johns everywhere. I poked around in our genealogical records (such as they are) for inspiration when naming DS, but there was absolutely nothing exciting (well, unless I wanted to go for Fergus). Clearly your ancestors were far more creative than mine!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#578 of 592 Old 11-20-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

csekywithlove: Wow! That's one neat family tree! Mine's all full of people named John. Johns everywhere. I poked around in our genealogical records (such as they are) for inspiration when naming DS, but there was absolutely nothing exciting (well, unless I wanted to go for Fergus). Clearly your ancestors were far more creative than mine!

Honestly, I was pretty shocked. I believe that my mother's family tree wasn't as creative. If any ladies find these interesting, go for it! We are all about unique names in our family and have been for a while, apparently!

Artist wife to dh_malesling.GIF. Mom to DSS superhero.gif (3 yrs) and DD (04/12).  brokenheart.gif (2/28/10). winner.jpgcd.gif

#579 of 592 Old 11-20-2011, 03:53 PM

My girl is Skye. Here it is unusual and gets negative looks/comments. I still love it though and she is such a Skye:)   I love Rain and River and Aurora but all were no way from husband!  Love this thread even though I am done with naming babies!

selectivevax.gifbfolderchild.gifdelayedvax.giffemalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifnocirc.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gifsurf.gif     t.v. free  

Living happily on a little island in the sun
#580 of 592 Old 11-20-2011, 03:57 PM

Also have a Jett and Storm.....middle names only:(   

selectivevax.gifbfolderchild.gifdelayedvax.giffemalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifnocirc.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gifsurf.gif     t.v. free  

Living happily on a little island in the sun
#581 of 592 Old 11-20-2011, 06:12 PM

I love Raine and River for a boy and Willow for a girl but DH said no.

My DH is Serbian and my Fav Serbian name for a boy is Vuk it means Wolf and when I suggested it for this bubba DH liked it. I can't think of a middle name to go with it however.

I loved the name Lilly actually Lilly Marlene was our choice if DS was a girl but now it is really popular.

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

#582 of 592 Old 11-20-2011, 10:13 PM

alethea, my best friend (female) is named Eleri :) i really like the name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infojunkie View Post

Not sure if this one has been mentioned..... Atticus

from To Kill A Mockingbird

Couldn't do it but like it :)

Atticus is actually on our short list. i have always loved it and DP thinks it's awesome. it's pretty much the only name we are agreeing on, but i would still rather name a boy Rueben.

Karla (24), loving having and growing a family: my amazing man, DS (1.5), DSD (6), a dog and two cats. Expecting my second 1sttri.gif November 2nd!
#583 of 592 Old 11-26-2011, 10:04 PM

Location: in a yurt or cabin or tipi out in the woods... or possibly asleep by a fire

Cool. I am enjoying going through this whole thread! I just made a thread earlier (HERE) about the "way out there" names I am so attracted to. I am not too chicken, I think.... There is some spark going off for me this time, and I am really jazzed by unique names and combos! 

#584 of 592 Old 11-27-2011, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

my baby #4 is Zayd, my baby name for him is Zaydie, like singing funny little baby songs and stuff  :)  I of course am partial to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletheia View Post

Most of these are on the no list for us because they have been nixed by my mainstream-name-loving DH.

Boy names:

Odysseus (Odys for short, like Otis)

Ajax

Colby

August (family name, but just too heavy for a little boy, I feel)

Derby

Kirby

Oakley

Paxton (turns out this is the name of the local elementary school near us after a recent move.  Dang!)

Tabor

Seneca

Byatt

Girl names:

Octavia (Tavi, tah-vee, for short)

Zadie-- actually, would love to use this, as it is a family name.  But it sounds like a nickname, and I can't figure out a more formal name to base it on.  Ideas?

Juniper

Electra

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#585 of 592 Old 12-02-2011, 06:07 PM

Penelope

Saariyah (for a boy it is muslim and means : clouds at night) way too many mispronounciations and misspellings etc. but it is beautiful IMO)

Cove... too..i dunno,but i like it

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
#586 of 592 Old 12-03-2011, 05:33 PM

Doulawoman: what is the pronunciation of Saariyah?

Erin-doula and mama to Ari Beat (4/7/03) and Eli Roots (3/27/06) angel.gif 6/09 angel.gif 10/09 and sweet Bodhi (6/25/11). Now growing #4 who we will meet in October joy.gif
#587 of 592 Old 12-16-2011, 10:07 AM

I've been wanting to name a son Dima since I was pregnant with my son 7.5 years ago, but my husband will not go for it.  We had a little pregnancy "scare" about 10 months ago and I agreed if our baby were born on 11-11-11, I would name him/her Dovahkiin.  So I think it's only fair if he lets us name our child Dima - if it's a boy.

And Thadeus, but only because right now we have Dad & Madd and my daughter says "DadMadd" and it would just get out of hand if it was Dad, Madd, and Thad...

That's all I have, but I just wanted to mention how much I love all you Sci-Fi & Fantasy nerds!  <3 <3 <3

#588 of 592 Old 12-16-2011, 10:22 AM

I have a friend with a DD named Orla, DS named Rigel, and DS named Ford.  Nigel made me think of it.  Orla is probably the only one I'd ever consider using (I don't think the other's would fit any of my boys), but I think they are all great names!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks* View Post

I'm not pregnant, but love talking about names!

I really wanted to name both of my sons "Oscar Mateo", but dh said it sounded like a Mexican boxer, and we aren't of latin decent.  Plus, Oscar has gotten to be very popular and trendy in my neck of the woods.

Other names I love but could never muster up enough guts for:

boy:

Algernon

Herschel

Simon

Arthur

Nigel

girl:

Bernadette

Liberty

Hazel

Bliss

Beatrice

Matilda

#589 of 592 Old 12-16-2011, 10:31 AM

Penelope was on the list for my DD (who is 3.5 now). It was crossed off because my mother in law asked me if we were going to call her "Penny"

Anyways, it's always been my nickname.  My mother used to call me Penelope when I was a kid.  We ended up naming DD's stuffed Bunny Penelope.  We've always pronounced it Puh-Nel-A-Pee

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post

I've been really loving the name Penelope lately. Especially since DS named his new stuffed puppy that so I'm hearing it all the time. DH vetoed that one and I don't think anybody would know how to say/spell it anyway. Until I was like 15 I thought it was pronounced Pee-ne-lope because I'd never heard it said, just read it in books.

#590 of 592 Old 12-16-2011, 10:40 AM

I hear/see Willow and I automatically think of Willow Ufgood...  I like the name for a girl, but I still just couldn't do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

You sure you want to risk it? She did flay a guy alive and try to destroy the world. :p

#591 of 592 Old 12-16-2011, 07:03 PM

I don't know if I mentioned this, but I love Willa, but wouldn't use it.

Mama to three

#592 of 592 Old 12-18-2011, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annalou View Post

HI! I LOVE Lucius. We named our 2nd little boy Lucius Emmanuel. He is my little baby light! His older brother is Roman Gabriel.

Good luck! Harry Potter's Lucius ended up helping in the end (I think, I'm not a huge follower, just saw the movies).

i named my son Lucius as well, middle name Bastian. He has never been made fun of because of his name and everyone says it suits him. I rarely get any Harry Potter references either.

Guilty name pleasure satisfied! I wouldnt have it any other way joy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page