What names are you too chicken to name your babies? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-13-2011, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

We toyed with "Cupric," an element in the periodic table or variant of copper or something like that (my husband's idea, long ago).  It is pronounced "Koop' rick," though, which is not intuitive when someone looks at the spelling.  I worried anyone reading the name would say "Cup' rick" and have to be corrected, and that anyone hearing the name would just spell it "Cooprick" or something like that. We would have called him "Coop" or "Cooper" as nicknames (big Twin Peaks fans!).   But my husband isn't really attached to it anymore, and I have that pronunciation issue, so it slipped to the bottom of the list.

For a girl, I wish I had the guts to name a girl Agnes but make everyone pronounce it the French way.  We're not French in any way, shape, or form, though, so I decided there was no chance that would work out.

I read it as Cupric as "Kooprick" right away...maybe I'll heard that term before??  And you know I love Coop!

I toyed with Albert as a middle name, cause Rosenfield is my fav., but I didn't love the name enough.   AND I have to tell you, I kind of freaked out on my cousin and his wife (who is pregnant) when they told me their name choices for a boy or a girl: Leland or Grace!  Leland Palmer and Grace Zabriskie, haha.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2011, 12:02 PM

I'm not chicken for this one, as this is the intended name of our impending baby boy... but it fits the theme, so I'm throwing it out there:

Agent Caton (pronounced Kay-ton) Callister Lastname.

Both of our families are not exactly thrilled, but all of our friends love it. :)

My sister has some pretty great out there names for her kids too:

Brayden, Skyla, Kali & Mattius.

I have two friends who recently named their kids Orion and Wren, so I think those might be more common for the five year range. Those who feel chicken, might be in good company if you go for it.

I'm a big fan of unique names because my first name is Erin and there were 4 of us in my elementary class growing up, which was very annoying. We have 4 Peters in our company of 12 people too, so you always end up having to pick nick names in those situations. Might as well go for your dream name!

Old 02-13-2011, 12:43 PM

I was watching the olympics and saw the name Maelys. I think its beautiful. 

Momma to a weaning nursling DS1 (8/10) and expecting #2 pos.gif (EDD 9/12). DS1 currently Milk, Soy, Egg, Peas, Peanut, & Tree Nut Free (hives/vomiting).mdcblog5.gif lactivist.gif

Old 02-13-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockycrop View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

We toyed with "Cupric," an element in the periodic table or variant of copper or something like that (my husband's idea, long ago).  It is pronounced "Koop' rick," though, which is not intuitive when someone looks at the spelling.  I worried anyone reading the name would say "Cup' rick" and have to be corrected, and that anyone hearing the name would just spell it "Cooprick" or something like that. We would have called him "Coop" or "Cooper" as nicknames (big Twin Peaks fans!).   But my husband isn't really attached to it anymore, and I have that pronunciation issue, so it slipped to the bottom of the list.

For a girl, I wish I had the guts to name a girl Agnes but make everyone pronounce it the French way.  We're not French in any way, shape, or form, though, so I decided there was no chance that would work out.

I read it as Cupric as "Kooprick" right away...maybe I'll heard that term before??  And you know I love Coop!

I toyed with Albert as a middle name, cause Rosenfield is my fav., but I didn't love the name enough.   AND I have to tell you, I kind of freaked out on my cousin and his wife (who is pregnant) when they told me their name choices for a boy or a girl: Leland or Grace!  Leland Palmer and Grace Zabriskie, haha.

Love it!  I wish I could sneak Twin Peaks into our son's name somehow.  ;)

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
Old 02-13-2011, 01:21 PM

Neuromancer - I also read it as Coop-ric the first time.  It reminded me of "cubic" so that lead to saying "coop" for me. 

Mama to three

Old 02-13-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole730 View Post

Neuromancer - I also read it as Coop-ric the first time.  It reminded me of "cubic" so that lead to saying "coop" for me. 

Well, that's nice to hear!  Maybe we'll change our minds at the last minute, though I think we've moved on.  :)

Old 02-13-2011, 02:58 PM

Nairi.

It's so beautiful. Armenian for "river" or "land of rivers." But it would sound REALLY weird with our last name.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelgeek View Post

I'm a big fan of unique names because my first name is Erin and there were 4 of us in my elementary class growing up, which was very annoying. We have 4 Peters in our company of 12 people too, so you always end up having to pick nick names in those situations. Might as well go for your dream name!

DP & I are 'Jessica' and 'Jason', so we feel the same way. 

Meanwhile, my sister's name is Phaedra and when she has kids I'm sure she'll give them extremely tradition names.  LOL

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

Old 02-14-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanca78 View Post

Nairi.

It's so beautiful. Armenian for "river" or "land of rivers." But it would sound REALLY weird with our last name.

How is this pronounced? it even looks beautiful!!

Erin-doula and mama to Ari Beat (4/7/03) and Eli Roots (3/27/06) angel.gif 6/09 angel.gif 10/09 and sweet Bodhi (6/25/11). Now growing #4 who we will meet in October joy.gif
Old 02-14-2011, 06:38 PM

I'm not pregnant, but love talking about names!

I really wanted to name both of my sons "Oscar Mateo", but dh said it sounded like a Mexican boxer, and we aren't of latin decent.  Plus, Oscar has gotten to be very popular and trendy in my neck of the woods.

Other names I love but could never muster up enough guts for:

boy:

Algernon

Herschel

Simon

Arthur

Nigel

girl:

Bernadette

Liberty

Hazel

Bliss

Beatrice

Matilda

Old 02-15-2011, 10:39 AM

My best friend's name is Atherton, which I have always loved.

Married to my sweetie and enjoying life with our fabulous dog.  Expecting #1 in August 2012!!!!

Old 02-15-2011, 10:11 PM

Well, as you can tell from my siggy, we aren't afraid of unusual names. But some that have been on my list that probably won't make it;

Girls;

-Liberty

-Calla (like the lily)

-Ember

-Fable

-Cayenna

I don't really have many boys names, I've always loved Silas, b/c I knew a Silas in college, but it's too much of a 'name' for us, we like meaningful, hippy names.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

Old 02-21-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelorum View Post

My dh really likes the sound of Lucifer, but of course it's completely out of the question. 

My husband too!  He likes the sound of it, and he likes the "meaning" of it - ie. "lightbringer".  We're not religious, and I think he has this idea that we shouldn't let religion's views of the name affect our choice. nut.gif  I suggested Lucian and Lucius as having very similar meanings and sounding somewhat allike, but he wasn't interested in either of those (I don't think he likes the double vowels, or something.)  I tried to get him to see the truth of the matter (that it would be cruel to give a child this name), and he continued to come up with reasons that it was good - like that we could call him Lucy for short . . . sigh.  So in the end, instead of trying to convince him, I just said that I vetoed it.

Names I'm too chicken to use include: 

Adley/Adlai - nerdiness factor = high, but great name

Lahual - this means "larch tree" or tamarack tree, which is my favorite kind of tree.  But the name is just too weird.

Like Sparks, I am a little too chicken to use Nigel (also, my husband doesn't like it, and if I want to veto names like Lucifer I have to let him have veto power too). 

Tamonash - this means destroyer of ignorance, which is a fantastic meaning, but again, it's just too weird.

Ulrich - just too . . . Skeet Ulrich, who usually plays someone a little skeezy.

Zoe - I actually would love to use this name, but it seems awfully popular now.  :(

Esme - Again, I loved this name and thought it was SO unique, but apparently I was wrong - I just checked babynames and now I know why - curse you, Twilight!

Cam - not short for anything.  I actually LOVE this, and it's a gypsy name (which I like) and it means beloved (which I like).  It even has good personal connotations, because I have a childhood friend named this who is like a brother to me (well, Cameron, in his case) . . . sadly, said friend's brother is obsessed with me and won't give up the idea that we were meant to be together - I think using a name from that family is out of the question.  Given his past behaviour, I am 90% certain that he would take that as a personal message from me to him.crap.gif

I'm not sure I'm brave enough for:

Shade (because I play RPGs and it makes me think of ghosts)

Sayid (even though it has a great meaning, happy, and my husband likes it) because I don't know how people might pronounce it - I could spell it Saeed, but that's really ugly in my opinion . . . and I would worry about racism - we're both dark and easily mistaken for being the "wrong race" according to current US policy, and an arabic name on a kid might not help that for them.

Llewellyn.  I can just see people saying, "What, a boy named Lou-Ellen?" every time they heard it (although we might yet use it).

Corbin - it means raven.  I would use this, but hubby didn't like it - maybe I'll bring it up again, I bet he's forgotten - it worked with Ramona!

I agree, this thread is fun - I'm usually a little afraid of name threads, because I have an enduring fear of finding out that a name I like and might want to use is popular (like Esme, who would have thought?), but this thread seems pretty safe.  And if anyone "steals" these names, I can hardly complain, since I'm not sure I'd use them anyway!

On a farm with our kiddo (nearly 2), two dogs, two cats, ten goats, two donkeys, nine sheep, a bunch of chickens, and a husband (in the winters). We have another on the way!
Old 02-22-2011, 10:09 AM

I guess this name belongs in here because I'm definitely too chicken to name a baby this name (or perhaps I'm just not crazy):

Howlin

Yea, like howling at the moon, howling like a wolf etc.  My husband thinks its AWESOME and I think he is absolutely nuts.  He doesn't understand why this is a poor choice of name for a baby (or human even).  Sure, it's cool, maybe for a nickname, but not for an actual name.  Ugh.  Thankfully he's not going to push for it because I absolutely hate it, but it annoys me that I even have to explain why it's weird.

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

Old 02-22-2011, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Boy: Dexter

I think it's adorable and love Dex as a nickname but everyone says it's too nerdy. :(

Girl: Hermione

I'm not a rabid Harry Potter fan, I just think the name is pretty.

Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 7, 3, 2) and expecting #6 June/2014

Old 02-22-2011, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My 5 year old is Ember. love.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunanthem View Post

Well, as you can tell from my siggy, we aren't afraid of unusual names. But some that have been on my list that probably won't make it;

Girls;

-Liberty

-Calla (like the lily)

-Ember

-Fable

-Cayenna

I don't really have many boys names, I've always loved Silas, b/c I knew a Silas in college, but it's too much of a 'name' for us, we like meaningful, hippy names.

Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 7, 3, 2) and expecting #6 June/2014

Old 02-23-2011, 04:21 AM

We like the unusual names that most people wouldn't consider.  The names usually make family members give us a cockeyed look, but hey, it isn't their baby.  They always give us other suggestions too. Ember Moon was actually one of our top three girls names this time, but we went with a name that is  a little more in touch with out Buddhist beliefs, And while is an unusual name, I am one of those people that likes to keep the names quiet because they are special to us.

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

Old 02-23-2011, 05:57 AM

Oh, I just love Ember, but we went with Eden instead, so having another named Ember would just be too similar. Great name, though.

For boys I like Win, True, Harvest, Dylan.....

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

Old 02-23-2011, 04:11 PM

My boyfriend likes the name "Matilda" for a girl. That is also the name of his school bus (we drive around on school buses and feed the homeless and go to gatherings), so I nixed that one. 

I like the name "Ollie" for a boy. ( a skateboarding trick...)

Also Azalea for a girl.

I'm not scared to use these names, they are unique though, thought I would share.

carrot.gifeat.gifVegetarian mama to 2 modifiedartist.gifviolin.gifC-sectioned boys (3-17-06) and (9-13-04). TTC #3 and going for a vbac.gif3 after T-cut incision but so far neg.gif

Old 02-23-2011, 05:24 PM

I dunno if Ollie is unique considering it's a common nickname for Oliver which is not very unique at all. Perhaps the inspiration is, though!

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

Old 02-24-2011, 06:58 AM

I was looking at the SSA website with lists of names going all the way back to the 1880s and was surprised to see the (male?!) name "Orange" among them.  ;)  It was interesting to be reminded that names that seem unusual to me are not a "modern" phenomenon.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:20 AM

I name animals the names I am not comfortable using or that DH vetoes. Four of our horses are Brody (veto) Jubilee (chicken) Grady (chicken and Lyric (chicken) one of the dogs is Miles (veto) and cats Fletcher (chicken) and Cooper (veto)

DH and I both like Atticus, me for To Kill a Mockingbird, and him just because he does, but I am having a hard time imagining a young child with that name. It makes me sad because I have been in love with it since I was eight years old.

Early is also the name of Brad Pitt's character in the movie Kalifornia, where he plays a sociopathic serial killer. I am totally over the moon with the name, but whenever I say it I think of Juliette Lewis's character saying in her innocent southern accent, "Why'd you kill those people Early, why?" Dang it.

ETA all my above "too chicken to use names were also ones that DH said veto to...it is a wonder any of our children have names, he hates everything.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:07 PM

I totally forgot to say another one I love! I love the name Cullen! One of my favorite football players is Cullen Jenkins from the Packers and I adore that name, but once again...Twilight! Oh and I am a huge Twilight fan, but I don't want people to assume that is where we got the name.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha_Ann View Post

DH and I both like Atticus, me for To Kill a Mockingbird, and him just because he does, but I am having a hard time imagining a young child with that name.

Check out Atticus Shaffer, if you want to see a little boy with the name Atticus. Isn't he adorable? And the name fits him to a tee!

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

Old 02-24-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snugglebugmom View Post

Check out Atticus Shaffer, if you want to see a little boy with the name Atticus. Isn't he adorable? And the name fits him to a tee!

Holy crap and a half!! It's Brick!! That is the show my entire family LOVES every week! Wednesday has become our pizza in the family room to watch The Middle, I even had Axl on our baby name list after that show! Thanks for the link luxlove.gif

Old 02-25-2011, 09:17 AM

No problem, it's actually one of my favorite shows and Brick is just hilarious!

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

Old 02-25-2011, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Atticus is pretty darn trendy at the moment! Visit a few preschools and maybe you'll have less trouble reconciling the name with small children. I don't exactly like the name as a name, but I'm thrilled it's come back in, just because I love To Kill a Mockingbird so much! :)

I was sifting through our family tree the other day, looking for baby name ideas, and discovered that in among the many Johns and Brians and Michaels, I have an ancestor called Lydia Mulberry. I thought that was pretty neat!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:30 PM

i love the name Poe for a boy..  If this one was a boy i would've loved to name him Atticus Poe.. but DP was totally against the Poe part

girls: poppy, hadley, popeye, harper, amelia, wilhemina, arundhati (we might actually use this one for our girl's middle name.. im still trying to get used to it)

mommy to "mine" (7), "his" (5), and preggers with "ours" due march 2011!!! 

heartbeat.gifIts a GIRL!!!!
Old 02-26-2011, 05:43 PM

I have a friend named Calliope. She goes by Callie and loves her name. 
Originally Posted by Snugglebugmom View Post

What a fun thread!!

Smokering, "Rose of Sharon" actually comes from the Bible, Song of Solomon 2:1. I think it's lovely too, but you're right, a three-part name might be a bit daunting.

As for me, I love Calliope for a girl. Unfortunately no one knows how to pronounce it, and DH thinks it's pretentious.

I also love Lyric, I think it's just beautiful. But it's the name I started out with role-playing in MSN Gor chat, and it has very strong, personal ties for me. I wouldn't want to put that on a tiny baby girl.

And for a boy, I love Aragorn. Our oldest is also named for a character in Lord of the Rings, and Aragorn is one of my favorite characters. But the name is just a little too "out there" for me. 

I can't wait to read what other ladies come up with, I might just get an idea for our newest addition!

Old 02-27-2011, 07:50 PM

We love unusual or uncommon names!

There's a couple I love for boys, but just...can't...do..it...even though they're 'real' names! 

And no, we're not sadistic or obsessed with death or pain or the devil, lol.

Hellar

Payne

Diablo

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 

User Tag List