What names are you too chicken to name your babies? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 592 Old 03-15-2011, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm getting inspired by this thread, too!

Some names that I like but am probably too chicken to use:

Boys- Tycho, Oisin (prn. O-sheen), Banyan, Oliander, and some "blatant" nature names like Cedar, Aspen, Cypress, etc

Girls- Nova, Juniper, Astrid, Dhalia, Tovah

There are other girl names that are uncommon, but that are firmly on my list (I think it's easier for girls to get away with unusual names than boys):

Azalea, Zenia, Annelise, Acacia,

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#182 of 592 Old 03-15-2011, 07:55 PM

I love to name Jezabel, but could never use it b/c of the biblical connotations.

#183 of 592 Old 03-16-2011, 11:19 PM

Not a name but a middle name... my partner's family has a tradition of naming first born sons after the paternal grandfather, so they go back and forth between Paul and Michael/Mikhail. If we had a son we'd name him Paul in keeping with tradition but the sci-fi nerd in me wants SO badly to give him the middle name of Atreides, a la Frank Herbert's DUNE. My partner thinks this is awesome but is slightly worried about having to explain to people how we chose his middle name.

•°o.♥♥.o° ♥ »-(¯`·.·´¯)-> ⓉⓉⒸ #1 <-(¯`·.·´¯)-« ♥ °o.♥♥.o°•
#184 of 592 Old 03-17-2011, 11:12 PM

Personally, I don't think you have to explain anything. It's your child and your choice to continue a tradition or not. Somewhere along the family line one person got the bright idea of passing down middle names like that and the others chose to continue. You, on the other hand, can name the fruit of your loins whatever you want. wink1.gif We steered clear of all family names and completely stumped all the same-named folks in my mother's family.

My guilty pleasure is Briseis for a girl. I adore it to the ends of the earth and back, but since I can't find a decent meaning for it, it's out. greensad.gif
#185 of 592 Old 03-27-2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsymama2008 View Post

Saoirse-it's Irish so it would go with our last name but I couldn't give a child a name that hardly anyone would be able to pronounce.  I grew up with a last name no one could pronounce and I hated it.

I love Saoirse!

I'm not a mama yet, but my two favorite names at the moment are Laurel Dian for a girl and Briar Allen for a boy. I love nature names love.gif

Names I'm not brave enough for? Dexter, Juniper, Eisley, Evangeline, Sawyer, Ariella. I'm sure I'll come back with more. 

treehugger.gif NMY, uber-crunchy, college student, doula-in-training, health food store worker and future librarian read.gif

#186 of 592 Old 03-27-2011, 10:18 AM

I love Sawyer for a boy! DH would never let me though, because I had a crush on Sawyer from "Lost" and that always irked him lol.

SuburbanHippie likes this.

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#187 of 592 Old 03-27-2011, 12:13 PM

Jean-Luc! :)

My daughter is Vala Jadzia (from Stargate and DS9) and this current one will either be Zarek David (a take on Sarek, Spock's father, David is a family name)\) or Anya Kathyrn (Anya from Buffy, Kathryn as in Janeway).

~Sarah

treehugger.gif  trekkie.gifcat.gifcarrot.gif
Mom to Vala ribboncesarean.gif 5/09, Anya hbac.gif 11/11, & one on the way 12/13

Check out my blog- http://healingcesareanscars.blogspot.com/

#188 of 592 Old 03-27-2011, 05:08 PM

I adore Rayne for a girl.  DH says that it's depressing because rain is depressing. I may be able to win it as a middle name :)

Lisa, Mama to two 2-26-09 and 6-15-11

"Hey baby, do you like trains?"

#189 of 592 Old 03-28-2011, 07:57 PM

Not brave enough for Dre (in case he becomes a doctor or PhD), Tecun Uman. Those are the two I sheepishly brought to the baby naming table. Denied! For pretty good reason... I guess whistling.gif

Mama to boy born 7/18/11 and another on the way in November '13  Rainbow.gif

#190 of 592 Old 03-29-2011, 07:15 AM

I didn't realize how many geeks there were here at MDC!  Nice to know I'm in good company. ;) 

DH wanted to name Dd Seattle....Grace.  He saw nothing wrong (and still doesn't) which both the name or the fact that the hospital on Grey's Anatomy would have the same name! 

He also like Aslan.  Which I actually like, but spelled differently. 

Homeschooling Mama to DD dust.gif and one angel3.gif.  
TTC #2.  Hoping to adoptionheart-1.gif !

#191 of 592 Old 03-29-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykittymomma View Post

Jean-Luc! :)

My daughter is Vala Jadzia (from Stargate and DS9) and this current one will either be Zarek David (a take on Sarek, Spock's father, David is a family name)\) or Anya Kathyrn (Anya from Buffy, Kathryn as in Janeway).

LOVE!!! luxlove.gif  Vala Jadzia is gorgeous and I love where the names are from!!  DD was *almost* Nora McKay but DH vetoed that for being "corny".  And this baby is probably going to be Logan Dax, But DH was pushing for Curzon Dax for a little while there!  LOL!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#192 of 592 Old 03-29-2011, 10:32 AM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

I love the name Nova for a boy, but DH hates it.  Not named after the car either.  I just like the name.

#193 of 592 Old 03-29-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love4ever View Post

I love the name Nova for a boy, but DH hates it.  Not named after the car either.  I just like the name.

I, too, love the name Nova innocent.gif

Mama to A (08/10) & E (03/13).
#194 of 592 Old 03-29-2011, 11:19 AM

I wanted to name my 3rd son Nova but it was a no go because of the car .

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#195 of 592 Old 03-29-2011, 09:06 PM

Squrrl congrats on Edric!!!

I have bunches of names my husband wouldn't let me use and some that I chickened out on and one that I didn't use b/c of a car.

Car- I had a dream while pregnant with #2 that her name was Mountain Song. I thought of using that but chickened out, so researched mountains. LOVED Denali and was going to use it until the neighbor across the street moved in driving her Denali. I am still angry about SUV's named Denali and Sequoia and the like. She actually ended up being Josephine after her great grandmother(paternal) and I have like the name since I was a child from Little Women. There could not be a more perfect name for her...well maybe Mountain.

Names Hubs vetoed:

Chenoah ( I got it as our first daughters middle name)

Imogen

Mabel

Jemima

Jemmy

Scout

Harper

Rivka (we aren't Jewish, but I STILL adore this name)

Boys names he vetoed:

Cash

Atticus (ass kiss)

Jasper

Django

Remember

Name that didn't work with our last name

Weston

Agnes (and dh vetoed it)

Annaliese

James (girl)

Louise

Names I chickened out on:

Wilamina

Violet

Zo Louise (although I am still so fond of it)

Prudence

Evelyn

Fern

Zora

Tallulah

Then there are the names that when faced with our baby(ies) just weren't right

Winter Rose

Cady

Tamsin

Riley

Kathryn

Jude(girl)

Iona

Ione

Ever

Story

Tansy

Merrin

Ellery

Audrey

Carolina (care-oh lean-a)

Moira

Ramona

Hazel

Gertrude

Ingrid

Bragnae (bren-ya from tristan and isolde)

Adelina

Marjorie

Beatrice (american pronunciation)

We had 3 girls, Jewely (Jewel), Josephine, and Juniper. Jewel was the only one named before she was born, the 3 J's is just a fluke as you can see in that above list all those names were open to use.

Boy names that didn't make my final cut:

Chaucer (as in geoffrey)

Clive

Walter

Cordell

Cree

Tavish

If they had been boys they would have been Jude, Teague, and Whitaker

Cool names I have heard since:

Wellsley

Ingalls

(both girls)

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#196 of 592 Old 03-29-2011, 09:35 PM

I was just just marveling at how similar our chicken-lists were, when I noticed where you are from. Do you think it's geographical? 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevaMajka View Post

I'm getting inspired by this thread, too!

Some names that I like but am probably too chicken to use:

Boys- Tycho, Oisin (prn. O-sheen), Banyan, Oliander, and some "blatant" nature names like Cedar, Aspen, Cypress, etc

There are other girl names that are uncommon, but that are firmly on my list (I think it's easier for girls to get away with unusual names than boys):

Azalea, Zenia, Annelise, Acacia,

Juniper is wavering between my real and fantasy lists, as is Dhalia. Clementine is one that I have always loved, but I would think a Clementine would be so sick of hearing the song...

I also have nature-y names on my boys list that I don't think I'd have the guts for: Birch, Alder, Leif

A friend of min named their daughter Azelia, I liked the spelling. 

Annelise is one of the top names on my girls' list right now! Oh yeah, and we're also (cautiously) expecting in Nov!

Crafty, play-at-home mama to spirited 4 yo DD and zany 1 yo DS, living in an ecovillage in beautiful British Columbia. 
#197 of 592 Old 03-30-2011, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevaMajka View Post

My girl who was going to be Alia ended up being Astrid. This was before How To Tame Your Dragon, though.

Tove (which is pronounced like Tovah, though generally different etymology) was a consideration for Baby DD's middle name, but DH thought it was too far from its traditional roots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayPea View Post

I also have nature-y names on my boys list that I don't think I'd have the guts for: Birch, Alder, Leif

Annelise is one of the top names on my girls' list right now! Oh yeah, and we're also (cautiously) expecting in Nov!

We have similar taste in names, too. Leif is my DS's name, and Annelise was my preferred girl's name when I was pregnant with him (which my cousin then went and used for her DD, so it's probably off my list now).

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#198 of 592 Old 03-30-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayPea View Post

I was just just marveling at how similar our chicken-lists were, when I noticed where you are from. Do you think it's geographical? 

Juniper is wavering between my real and fantasy lists, as is Dhalia. Clementine is one that I have always loved, but I would think a Clementine would be so sick of hearing the song...

A friend of min named their daughter Azelia, I liked the spelling. 

Teehee- that's funny! I'm originally from Ohio though.
Where I live now, there are a lot of unusual names; partly because many people give their kids names from their home country, and partly because people tend more toward the hippie/unique side of things. So I feel like our name options are expanded!

I know a kid named Mattise (sp?) and a kid named Matteo, and the names sound "normal" for them. I think that some names might sound wierd on paper, but once it's attached to a person, it's just like any other name, kwim? Not all, obviously, but some.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#199 of 592 Old 04-03-2011, 06:59 PM

I'm sort of a big fan of Law & Order SVU because I find the plot twists and the acting and the one liners to be completely campy and hilarious. So I was looking it up on IMDB and saw that "Fin", Ice-T's character's full name is Odafin.

Which I thought was just awesome.

But it's Ice-T's character on Law & Order SVU...

yummus likes this.

Me (24)photosmile2.gif & Him (25)tiphat.gif  

trying to makebabe.gifsince March '11

#200 of 592 Old 04-04-2011, 02:58 PM

My husband wanted to name our daughter (due in June) Magdalene May, because he said Mary of Magdalene wasn't really Jesus' prostitute (but that is what everyone thinks!) and he wanted to call her "Maggie May" like the Rod Stewart song.  I put the foot down on that one.  Not happening.  I really wanted to name a boy Lucius Rex because I love anything to do with Rome, but thanks to Harry Potter that isn't happening anymore :(  Our daughter's name is/will be Annora Grace.  The older generation raises an eyebrow and says it is too New Age.  Joke's on them!  It's actually quite an old, old name.  Anyway, we love it to death, and that is what matters!!

#201 of 592 Old 04-04-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourist. View Post

Love it!!  I would only not use it because I already know a River (my BFF's nephew), but I think it's a fantastic name - especially for a girl.  And River Tam is soooo worthy of being named after. orngbiggrin.gif

I have to reply

My twins are named River and Malcolm.  Only one person has noted the connection so far.  We hadn't intended to name to twins after characters from Sci-Fi cultdom, but they were the only names we could agree upon.  River does get strong reactions.  Either love or hate.  My grandma told me I need to rename her, but I'm just taking that as cantankerous older person with zero tack filter.  I think as people get older offending others becomes less of a concern.  My oldest daughter is Rowan, another name someone mentioned.  I named her after to tree (rowan, also commonly called Mountain Ash).  It is a strong symbol of protection.  Traditionaly a rowan was planted outside a house as a good omen.

slingtwin.gifMontessori teacher working part time and trying to keep up with the kiddos. blowkiss.gif DD1 (June 08)ROTFLMAO.gif DS1 (June 10)love.gif DD2 (June 10)

#202 of 592 Old 04-04-2011, 03:21 PM

i love the name rose of sharon (steinbeck is one of my favorites). although, i don't think i could name my child after her either. i think that if i have a farm one day, i will name it rose of sharon.

#203 of 592 Old 04-04-2011, 04:09 PM

DH and I both secretly love "Howl" for a boy.  From Howl's Moving Castle--we're fans of the book AND the movie.  But we couldn't.  I don't think...  a few weeks left to decide.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by two raising two View Post

i think that if i have a farm one day, i will name it rose of sharon.

Coincidentally, there IS a farm near me named Rosasharn :)

kjm279 likes this.
#204 of 592 Old 04-04-2011, 04:47 PM

love the names Persephone, Athena, and Cedar for girls and Eden, Jestin and Mica for boys!!

#205 of 592 Old 04-04-2011, 04:49 PM

So many beautiful names out there!

The one we truly chickened out on was Usnea. It's a tree lichen, commonly known as Old Man's Beard.. and it has some pretty great medicinal properties. It's one of those plants that was just present in both of our world's growing up.. it's everywhere! Anyway, we both loved the name and thought of using it for a girl.. my DH wanted to use it even if it was a boy, but I figured it was too feminine.

We've got a little boy now and decided to name him Arlo. He doesn't have a middle name because we figured we'd let him pick his own someday and pay to have it changed legally if he wanted. I know as a little girl I dreamt of different names for myself.. so we thought it would be fun for him to take a part in his own naming.

Other contenders were Orion, Fionn or Fiona, Rosa, Atticus, Ursa, Juniper.. so many more I can't even remember. We've got a friend with a little man named Balthazar, Bal for short.. supposedly his legal name is Balthazar the Destroyer, Harvester of Souls.. lol but Im sure that's a myth.

#206 of 592 Old 04-04-2011, 04:52 PM

if you both love Howl, you should go for it.  : ) I think it would be cute.

#207 of 592 Old 04-04-2011, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
My oldest daughter is Rowan, another name someone mentioned.  I named her after to tree (rowan, also commonly called Mountain Ash).  It is a strong symbol of protection.  Traditionaly a rowan was planted outside a house as a good omen.

Well, there you go.. DD's name is Rowan, and I didn't know that! Well, I knew it was a tree. :p But not the Mountain Ash/protection/omen thing. If we had our own house I'd like to plant a rowan by it... but as it is, we rent and I'm not sure rowan trees grow in NZ anyway.

Quote:
The one we truly chickened out on was Usnea. It's a tree lichen, commonly known as Old Man's Beard.. and it has some pretty great medicinal properties.

lol.gif I'm imagining the MIL conversation here... "Usnea? You can't call a child that!" "But it has GREAT medicinal properties!"

Quote:

i think that if i have a farm one day, i will name it rose of sharon.

Ooh, good plan! It'd also be a good name for a very expensive perfume....

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#208 of 592 Old 04-04-2011, 05:37 PM

Yay! I love naming threads...I could just sit around daydreaming for hours coming up with baby names...DH and I are true wild children, and we have miles of hippie names....yes, our child will most likely be made fun of at school, but s/he will love their name!

For a boy, we have:

Coyote Bluejohn (definite first choice)

Kolohe

Terra

Bear

Rooikat (Red Cat)

Bahgeerah (we love The Jungle Book)

For a girl, we have:

AbraCassandra (like Abracadabra)

Arminta ("Minty" for short)

Bindi

Piper

Moon

Coco

I love unique names! They are like miniature songs!

Married to DH teapot2.GIF since 8/24/10...working on our first wee one!
#209 of 592 Old 04-04-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlosmama View Post

We've got a little boy now and decided to name him Arlo. He doesn't have a middle name because we figured we'd let him pick his own someday and pay to have it changed legally if he wanted. I know as a little girl I dreamt of different names for myself.. so we thought it would be fun for him to take a part in his own naming.

Other contenders were Orion, Fionn or Fiona, Rosa, Atticus, Ursa, Juniper.. so many more I can't even remember. We've got a friend with a little man named Balthazar, Bal for short.. supposedly his legal name is Balthazar the Destroyer, Harvester of Souls.. lol but Im sure that's a myth.

Arlo was my #1 boy name for this baby...until it wasn't orngtongue.gif

I adore the name Ursa. I can't see it for a boy but for a girl would be perfect. 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#210 of 592 Old 04-04-2011, 11:05 PM

Hmmmm...we have a few.

Noble, for a boy. My DH's granddad had a brother named Noble who died in a mining accident when he was in his 20s. It is beautiful and would have great family significance, but anyone outside of the family would be like..?????

I really like "Daedalus," but I don't know if I have the guts. Maybe for a middle name.

We're Mennonites, and a few of the (female) Mennonite martyrs were named Anneken. We like that for a girl, but...well, it sounds just like Anakin, as in Darth Vadar. Not happening. 

I've always kind of liked "Grover," but thanks to a certain adorable blue monster...nope.

DH loves "Julian" (with a "y" sound at the beginning), but my mom was once (before I was born) engaged to a man named Julian (with a "j" sound) and...yeah, in the interest of family harmony, we are NOT GOING THERE.

Mama to Silas Anansi, born 9/9/10 and Petra Eadaion, born 10/1/12.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page