What names are you too chicken to name your babies? - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-06-2011, 11:41 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbys View Post

I like the name Cary for a boy; like Cary Grant. I'm not too chicken, but DH is. He thinks it's too girlie.

I have a neighbor named Cary, and he's a pretty masculine guy, so it doesn't seem girlie to me, but I can see why people might think so.

My husband wanted to use the names Macintosh and Arwen, but after the LOTR movie came out and Arwen had such a larger part than in the book, he felt like the name was ruined. And he said is friends would make fun of him if he named his baby Macintosh, because they'd know exactly why he did it.  lol.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2011, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok Ill play. Im done having babies but I still have names I would have loved to have used, but in the end I did go rather traditional. My girls are called Julianna (which I love), Sophia, and my son is called Joshua.

Penelope (I wasnt as keen on Penny for short)

Alexis or Lexie

Daphne

Solome (couldnt bc there are two women in the bible named Solome (pronounced So-lo-may). One was at the cross when Jesus died... the other was the daughter of Herodias who danced sensually for her step dad and asked for the head of John the Baptist. I couldnt do that... it was a very serious contender).

Soirse (sorsha)

I like the name Enzo for a boy too.

Oh and Talulah.

I love all those names. Might use them for pets. We have two cats. One called Marcel (as in Marcellus Wallace from Pulp Fiction) and Stinky... as in he stepped in his poop when he was a kitten and it stuck. We werent even going to keep him but Im so glad we did...

Old 04-07-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genifer View Post
One called Marcel (as in Marcellus Wallace from Pulp Fiction)...

I kid with DH all the time (b/c we can't think of a boys name) that we should suck it up and name him Marcellus Wallace!!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 04-07-2011, 07:02 AM

What a great thread for ideas! Just found out we're expecting #4, so thanks!

PT dentist, FT mom to DS 5.5, DD 2.5 and DS 1/29/10
Old 04-07-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlucca View Post

I like Lennon for a boy. DP likes Cray, but I don't. Also, Bella Blu for a girl. 

Lennon is at the top of our boy list!  But we're having another girl, and I'm considering using it for a girl too. 

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
Old 04-07-2011, 11:50 AM

My aunt is named Sharon Rose... would that be close enough for you?

Old 04-07-2011, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amers176 View Post

My husband wanted to name our daughter (due in June) Magdalene May, because he said Mary of Magdalene wasn't really Jesus' prostitute (but that is what everyone thinks!) and he wanted to call her "Maggie May" like the Rod Stewart song.  I put the foot down on that one.  Not happening.  I really wanted to name a boy Lucius Rex because I love anything to do with Rome, but thanks to Harry Potter that isn't happening anymore :(  Our daughter's name is/will be Annora Grace.  The older generation raises an eyebrow and says it is too New Age.  Joke's on them!  It's actually quite an old, old name.  Anyway, we love it to death, and that is what matters!!

I think all of those names are cool, but especially Annora! :)

Michelle SAHM to K (3/2004)  H (8/2006) P (7/2011) & we're missing Finley Jonas born still, July 27, 2010 

Old 04-07-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday Girl View Post

Squrrl congrats on Edric!!!

I have bunches of names my husband wouldn't let me use and some that I chickened out on and one that I didn't use b/c of a car.

Car- I had a dream while pregnant with #2 that her name was Mountain Song. I thought of using that but chickened out, so researched mountains. LOVED Denali and was going to use it until the neighbor across the street moved in driving her Denali. I am still angry about SUV's named Denali and Sequoia and the like. She actually ended up being Josephine after her great grandmother(paternal) and I have like the name since I was a child from Little Women. There could not be a more perfect name for her...well maybe Mountain.

We had 3 girls, Jewely (Jewel), Josephine, and Juniper. Jewel was the only one named before she was born, the 3 J's is just a fluke as you can see in that above list all those names were open to use.

Denali is actually another name for Mt McKinleysmile.gif  It's the Athabaskan(native Alaskan) name for it and it means The High One.   I don't think it would've been a bad name even with the SUV...but then I live in AK and so both Denali and McKinley are used often as names here smile.gif

And I love Jewel...if this baby would've been a girl that would've been her middle name after my Mom's middle name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaG View Post

Just saw this thread because it was on the front page. We, on baby #3, finally gave up our inhibitions and went with the 'out there' name we really loved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Ooh - any chance you'd tell us what it is? Samwise? :) I really like Merry for a boy, but I can't see it on a full-grown man... and it does sound a bit close to "Mary". I like Pippin too, but again, I can't really see a Pippin all growed up, as a hard-hitting divorce lawyer... It'd go nicely with DD's name though - Rowan - which is actually a hobbit name (one of Sam's ancestors, and a female to boot!); I like the idea of having all nature-y sounding names, as long as they weren't too obvious. Before we found out this baby was a boy I was in favour of Hazel for a girl, but I wasn't sure if it'd lock us into a cutesy tree-themed-names thing. Although, most people here don't know that Rowan *is* a tree...

Baby #3 is.....wait for it.....Pippin. Well, he's Peregrine (with an 'e', so not completely LOTR, but close enough that DH can pretend we named him after Mr. Took). We started out calling him Pip and Pippin, but that seems to have stopped mostly....we call him Perry usually.

Our boy#2 was supposed to be Lachlan, but we chickened out and totally regret it. Well, not really, because we named him for my Dad and I wouldn't change that, but it was definitely not a name we were even considering before the birth (plain 'ole Jonathan).

I love Lachlan but dh vetoed it for this baby. 

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

Old 04-07-2011, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
My aunt is named Sharon Rose... would that be close enough for you?

Sadly, no. That's the thing, I don't particularly like Sharon... it has to be Rose of Sharon. Oh well! I do like Rose, so I may use that some day - although DH's sister is Rosemary and a few people call her Rose, which might be slightly confusing.

Quote:
I love Lachlan but dh vetoed it for this baby.

I'm still trying to convince DH to name our baby Lachlan. It's not even "weird" here - apparently it was number 7 for boys' names last year, which would usually put me off, but I don't know any Lachlan-babies in real life so I can pretend it's not true. :p DH thinks nobody will be able to pronounce it, though. *sigh*

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:12 PM

A couple of people have mentioned Tallulah- that's my daughter's name! We call her Lula and planned to from the beginning, but she introduces herself to new people as Tallulah.  She LOVES her name!  But it's okay if people are too chicken to use it- she also likes that we rarely meet anyone else with her name. winky.gif

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

Old 04-08-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genifer View Post

Ok Ill play. Im done having babies but I still have names I would have loved to have used, but in the end I did go rather traditional. My girls are called Julianna (which I love), Sophia, and my son is called Joshua.

Penelope (I wasnt as keen on Penny for short)

Alexis or Lexie

Daphne

Solome (couldnt bc there are two women in the bible named Solome (pronounced So-lo-may). One was at the cross when Jesus died... the other was the daughter of Herodias who danced sensually for her step dad and asked for the head of John the Baptist. I couldnt do that... it was a very serious contender).

Soirse (sorsha)

I like the name Enzo for a boy too.

Oh and Talulah.

I love all those names. Might use them for pets. We have two cats. One called Marcel (as in Marcellus Wallace from Pulp Fiction) and Stinky... as in he stepped in his poop when he was a kitten and it stuck. We werent even going to keep him but Im so glad we did...

Ok, so I'm on the laptop watching a movie with my kids and sorta half paying attention to the movie and the thread. I totally read the bolded part without the btw these are cats at the beginning...I was thinking "Wow who are these people?" biglaugh.gif dizzy.gif

Old 04-08-2011, 09:06 PM

We loved the name Cicero but could too easily imagine our boy being called "sissy" or "zero" too often so it got nixed off the list

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Old 04-08-2011, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by becoming View Post

I adore Scarlett and Juliet, but my other kids have normal names, so it would be too weird.  Having one daughter named Anna really limits the possibilities as far as how "out there" I wanna go with girl names.  Oh, and I loveee Lincoln for a boy, but again, too odd next to my sons' names.

Our daughter is Juliet. One of the things we like about it is that everyone is familiar with it but hardly anyone actually uses it, at least where we live anyway. So it's both unusual and immediately recognisable.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 04-10-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becoming View Post

I adore Scarlett and Juliet, but my other kids have normal names, so it would be too weird.  Having one daughter named Anna really limits the possibilities as far as how "out there" I wanna go with girl names.  Oh, and I loveee Lincoln for a boy, but again, too odd next to my sons' names.

I *totally* think that Anna and Juliet would work as sibs. Scarlett- you could make that work, but it doesn't "match" Anna very much.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

Old 04-11-2011, 01:04 PM

I really liked the name Jadyn, and my fiance had agreed to it, but today he informed me that he thought it was too "pretty boy" so now I guess it won't be Jadyn. I fell in love with Blaise which is a French name, but when I found out what it means, I'm not so sure I would name my child Blaise anymore (even though it was just going to be his middle name.) I would never be able to name my children after cars (Mercedes, Porsche, etc.) They are becoming all to popular anyways. I really like the names Merric and Aurora, but of course my fiance vetoed Aurora. irked.gif It's not like HE'S contributing any suggestions (personally, I hope he has a couple that he REALLY likes that I don't so *I* can veto THEM. hehe) mischievous.gif

Old 04-11-2011, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

I too love the name Lachlan. My husband wasn't so into it so I played around with it, changed the first letter, and then he loved it. :) (We don't share our kids' names online though).

I LOVE Tolkien names. I even love the name Tolkien. :) One of our kids is named Eowyn but with an additional letter added at the beginning. I would love to name a baby of ours Faramyr, boy or girl, it's awesome. Or any name with the sound "tyr" (teer) in it. I lovelovelove Tyr. Tyrleif, Tyrlock, Tyrdin...

When we are naming a baby, I pretty much look to Tolkien names & then play around with them until I find something my husband will agree to. :)

Other names I love but wouldn't use are Praetorian, Vashti, & Green. I have a large list of names that I play around with during each pregnancy. Some are things like Faentyr, Grynlach, Morguild, Eothain, Brynmore, Feyedrin.... I love very unique names, but he loves unique as in never been used before, can't be Googled names! lol Not so easy to work with. ;)

I'm pregnant now but don't know the gender. We have a girl name picked out, that's similar to Faramyr actually, but not a boy's name. Naming babies is SOoooOOOOooO hard!

I love this thread & have been reading along since the beginning. :) 

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
Old 04-11-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjande View Post

I'm pregnant now  

Hey lady, I'm so tickled to read this. Congratulations! 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

Old 04-11-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole730 View Post

Elmer or Orion for a boy.  I've gotten so many strong NO reactions to Elmer.  (Oooh just thought, what about Ember, nah too close to Amber)  And I like Orion, but I just don't think I'd end up loving it once I named my son it.

I love and would use Wren for a girl but DH is against it.

I have 2 different friends that just had babies. One named her son Orion, the other named her daughter Wren.

joy.giflurk.gif

Old 04-11-2011, 08:28 PM

We are pregnant right now and keep telling people if it's a girl her name is B'Elana Jane. Actually we really like the name, but I don't know if we have the courage to actually use it....  Our first two daughters are Elisabeth Anne, and Julianna Marie, both very traditional.  I wouldn't mind being a little more adventurous.

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

For a girl: Echo.

For a boy: Enzo.

Maybe if I lived in Europe.....? xD

Just a homegrown heretic hopelessly in love with her amazing DH, 2.5 year old Eli, and now expecting a new arrival April 2015.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:26 PM

I love Sirius also,if my next one is a boy i'm going with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensong13 View Post

I like Sirius as a boy's name, I think if I ever had a boy I might use it though. I love Ariadne and Lyra for girls. I thought Lyra would fit it with my dd who is named Lillian, a derivative of Lilith, the first woman. But I'm not sure if anyone would ever figure out the reference, lol.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:05 AM

I have a 9yo dd named Raine.She's the light of my life.Tell you husband that rain is not depressing, its lifegiving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelylisa View Post

I adore Rayne for a girl.  DH says that it's depressing because rain is depressing. I may be able to win it as a middle name :)

Old 04-15-2011, 12:21 AM

I really wanted to name this baby Malena.  But then I found out that the guy from American Idol/Rock of Ages just named his daughter that.  So now I can't do it because I fear people will think I copied him, and/or the name will become very popular soon.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

Old 04-15-2011, 01:20 AM

I think it sounds pretty and very feminine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTimeMama4-4-10 View Post

Don't stalk me - the last name is Valentine.  Violet Valentine is just a little too much lol!

Old 04-15-2011, 03:44 AM

I still wish we could have named DS, Baden (Bay-din). DH really doesn't like it

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

Old 04-15-2011, 04:12 AM

Chose Melanie - sounds a like. Regarding Malena - you are right - my friend just sent me birth announcement via iPhone - she named her daughter Malena.

btw, use stork.cc app - birth announcement - when select a name and want to share it with relatives and friends.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:16 AM

Very Dr. Seuss (in a good way) !

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnowmomma View Post

I think it sounds pretty and very feminine

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

Old 04-15-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treegardner View Post

I have 2 different friends that just had babies. One named her son Orion, the other named her daughter Wren.

I think those are beautiful. DH isn't into nature names, but I wanted to name our son Cedar Wren.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post

I really wanted to name this baby Malena.  But then I found out that the guy from American Idol/Rock of Ages just named his daughter that.  So now I can't do it because I fear people will think I copied him, and/or the name will become very popular soon.

And also MAlena is very similar to MElena which is a particularly foul-smelling poo containing old blood. Although maybe that is only a problem if you know lots of health care workers.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 04-15-2011, 11:57 PM

I really wanted to name my son Ryder...but my hubby said nooo waay! lolfencing.gif  We ended up naming him Ethan, but I still love that name, I think if I ever have another boy I'm going to name him Ryder.                     yeahthat.gif

User Tag List