Brown Spotting at 10 Weeks - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-03-2011, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was hoping to get some reassurances or frank thoughts about my current situation.  I am 10weeks, and we already heard the heartbeat with the doppler device a week ago at my first prenatal appt.  I had had some spotting the day after my appt. during sex.  It was pinkish red in color and I called the midwife and she said it's probably just from having sex but to call back if I got cramps or if it got heavier.  It then went away entirely.  But now a week later, I just noticed brown blood when wiping after going to the bathroom.  We haven't had sex for a couple days and it's an entirely different color.  Now I'm suddenly worried again.  It's very slight, and so far I have no cramping, but I've had miscarriages in the past and I'm so scared.  I have noticed that I haven't been very nauseous the past few days but I had chalked that up to reaching the latter part of the first trimester but now I'm worried it could be a sign of miscarriage.  I had taken a tylenol yesterday for a headache, so now I'm paranoid that I shouldn't have done that but the midwife had told me tylenol was o.k. during pregnancy.  I'm trying to be reassured by the heartbeat we heard and I don't want to nag my midwife again unless there's a real cause for concern.  Is dark brown blood at all normal during this stage of pregnancy or is it more likely the start of a miscarriage?  I don't recall having this with either of my DDs...

Sarah born 04/03/02dust.gif , Ashley born 03/13/04homebirth.jpg,  Rigel born 09/10/11 nocirc.gif

#2 of 14 Old 02-03-2011, 05:47 AM

I had a whole week of brown spotting at 10 weeks. 2 days after it went away, everything looked and sounded fine at my appointment.

Mama to a 6 year old diva, and new little man July 2011.

#3 of 14 Old 02-03-2011, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you; that's helpful to hear.  I know there's probably nothing I can do but wait and see but it helps to know I'm not the only one to have this experience.  Do you think I ought to call the midwife or wait a day or two?  I imagine they could probably do an ultrasound to reassure us...

Sarah born 04/03/02dust.gif , Ashley born 03/13/04homebirth.jpg,  Rigel born 09/10/11 nocirc.gif

#4 of 14 Old 02-03-2011, 06:33 AM

I had a week of spotting too except it was a little earlier (around 7 weeks).  It's hard not to worry about the worst but my research indicates that it is so, so common.  In your case it sounds like it's just some leftover (i.e. brown) blood from the earlier spotting that got dislodged.  Think positive thoughts mama!

#5 of 14 Old 02-03-2011, 06:37 AM

I had brown and occasionally light pink spotting my entire 1st and 2nd trimesters, and am now 40 w 4 days pregnant with a healthy baby who does not want to come out!!!!!!!

I will also tell you, just in case it happens to you, that I did have an incident of actual bleeding at 16 w, like a period for a few hours, that they could never find a cause for and nothing was wrong, it stopped and never returned, the baby was under no stress. (I however, was a wreck). I am only telling you this so you know that even if this gets dramatic, it can be totally fine.

#6 of 14 Old 02-03-2011, 08:02 AM

I spotted brown blood for a whole day at 10 weeks with my first. This time, I started at 7 weeks, and it lasted for a week. I also had a few streaks of pink this time, too.

It is very common, from what I understand.

With my first, I did go in for an ultrasound, and everything was just fine. This time around, I was less worried because I had already been through it once. I say go ahead and call your midwife. I know there are risks to ultrasounds, etc., but it sure did make me feel better to see that little heartbeat after being so worried.

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#7 of 14 Old 02-03-2011, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

The spotting got a little worse this afternoon so I called the midwife and will go in for an ultrasound in the morning.  She doesn't think it's anything to worry about, but I know what you mean, bignerpie, it would be good to get some peace of mind even if it's nothing...

#8 of 14 Old 02-04-2011, 02:32 PM

How did your ultrasound go?

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#9 of 14 Old 02-04-2011, 02:58 PM

I had lots of pink and brown spotting during the first trimester of my fourth pregnancy and my daughter was fine .

My doctor back then told me , than brown spotting is actually old blood and if you had pink discharge after sex , here may have been some left in here , that came out now . I´d still have it checked , but in all likelyhood , it´s probably harmless

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

#10 of 14 Old 02-04-2011, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignerpie View Post

How did your ultrasound go?

I was just going to update with this: everything is fine!  We saw the baby's heartbeat and baby was moving all around and looked perfectly healthy and well.  I'm so relieved!! Thanks for the reassurances, everyone.  They really helped me think positively until the ultrasound could confirm that there was nothing to worry about.

#11 of 14 Old 02-05-2011, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

It still kinda bugs me that I'm still having this spotting, though.  I can tell there's a lot of brown, clotty blood in my vagina that's slowly seeping out, and I just wish I knew why or how long it will go on.  It seems from what some of you are saying that you've had this sort of thing for several days without a real obvious reason or consequence, so after the ultrasound, I feel less worried.  But still it just seems illogical to have inexplicable bleeding; like there ought to be an identifiable reason.  But I guess as long as I don't get any cramping or heavier bleeding I probably shouldn't be too concerned...  It would just be psychologically easier if I knew why and how long to expect this to go on...

#12 of 14 Old 02-05-2011, 06:34 AM

I spotted with my son for the first trimester.  He is fine and the rest of the preganncy went fine.  I figured out what did it for me.  I was drinking pregnancy tea nd I am one of the few women that contract with red raspberry leaf.  I was fine with it with my dd, but the second time around my body was just sensitive.

#13 of 14 Old 02-05-2011, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

hmm I have had some pregnancy tea this trimester, but not very often.  Maybe I'll try cutting that out.

#14 of 14 Old 02-05-2011, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

I will say, too, that it does feel like my cervix is a bit achy or crampy but not like a real period kind of cramping (though I never have much cramping with my periods anyhow).  Could this be some kind of light contractions?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page