Mothering Forum banner

Books/resources discussing pregnancy/birth for young kids

638 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  cparkly 
#1 ·
DD's VERY interested in the details of my pregnancy. She wants to know how the baby eats, what the baby is drinking etc. She also is curious about when the baby is coming out and what the baby will be like after he/she is born. I try and discuss it with her but I think she really needs some pictures to help clarify things.

I found one book that looked great at first. It did have way more text than DD would've been able to handle but the pictures were perfect until I noticed that the first few pages had too many pictures describing how the baby was actually created (if she asks we'll address that then but I don't want to freak her out without her wanting to know first, she's only 2!).

Basically, what would be perfect for us would be something with pictures of the baby inside the baby roughly week by week with some fun facts (like the eyes or developing now or the baby is the size of an apples, etc.). It would be also great if it discussed birth some because at this point DD is convinced that my belly button is a direct line to the baby and also the baby's exit point. I'm not sure if we'll have a homebirth or not (I would like one but DH is really against it at the moment) but if we do I'd like to prepare her for that somehow too.

#2 ·
I don't have any good recommendations for you... I borrowed this one from my midwife, my 4 year old liked it. I had seen a recommendation on here a couple of months ago that sounded great, it was a book for kids that had fold-out pages with life-size pictures of the baby in the various stages of development... but I can't remember what it was. Sometimes I will show DS pictures from "Your Pregnancy Week by Week" and tell him about the baby's development that week, but I wish I had a better one for both kids. I haven't gotten into explaining it to my 2 year old, beyond that there's a baby in my tummy.

ETA- this book looks pretty cool, might be the one I described: http://www.amazon.com/Whats-Inside-Your-Tummy-Mommy/dp/0805087605/ref=pd_sim_b_4

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.