Could Bee Propolis be delaying labor? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-09-2011, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is my first time posting on mothering, but I have read a lot of older posts about the use of bee propolis for gbs. I was gbs positive at 37 weeks and since then I have been taking bee propolis 4x daily plus using tea tree oil supp.  I tested negative at 39 weeks and 5 days.  Currently I am 41 weeks today and other than some menstrual type cramping (that are not regular in any way , and do not even occur every day, only sometimes at night) I have no signs of labor.... I have not been checked for dilation because I am worried about infection but I am considering being checked tomorrow at my 41 week apt.            Recently I read that NSAIDS could delay labor or prolong labor. I know the propolis has anti-inflammatory properties. Do you think that this could be delaying my labor? I really do not want to be induced but I also do not want to stop taking the propolis if it was instrumental in my last negative result.  Has anyone had any experience with this? Do you think I should stop taking the propolis?

#2 of 10 Old 02-10-2011, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Any ideas, thoughts????

#3 of 10 Old 02-10-2011, 10:49 AM

Are you taking fish oils?

#4 of 10 Old 02-10-2011, 01:21 PM
HRJ

Do fish oils delay labor?  Because I am taking the Nordic Natural prenatal fish oil - sorry to hijack!

But as far as the propolis, my acupuncturist said that propolis had magical qualities for endometriosis and fertility, so I wonder if there could be a connection too.

#5 of 10 Old 02-12-2011, 09:44 AM

Yes, High dose fish oils can delay labor.  There is atleast one other study but I cant find it right now.

Randomised controlled trial of effect of fish-oil supplementation on pregnancy duration.
Olsen SF, Sorensen JD, Secher NJ, Hedegaard M, Henriksen TB, Hansen HS, Grant A.
Lancet. 1992 Apr 25;339(8800):1003-7.

"The high birthweights and long duration of pregnancy in the Faroe Islands led us to suggest that a high intake of marine-fat-derived n-3 fatty acids might prolong pregnancy by shifting the balance of production of prostaglandins involved in parturition. We have compared the effects on pregnancy duration, birthweight, and birth length of a fish-oil supplement, a control olive-oil supplement, and no supplementation. 533 healthy Danish women in week 30 of pregnancy were randomly assigned in a ratio of 2/1/1 to fish oil (four 1 g Pikasol capsules [containing 2.7 g n-3 fatty acids] per day), olive oil (four 1 g capsules per day), or no supplement. The three groups differed in mean length of gestation (p = 0.006), which was highest in the fish-oil group and lowest in the olive-oil group; the result was similar when the analysis was restricted to women with an estimate of gestation length based on early ultrasound findings (443 women). Pregnancies in the fish-oil group were on average 4.0 (95% confidence interval 1.5-6.4) days longer than those in the olive-oil group; the difference in birthweight was 107 (1-214) g. The effect of supplementation on length of gestation was influenced by intake of fish and of fish oil: the difference between fish-oil and other groups was increased by a low fish intake at baseline. Fish-oil supplementation in the third trimester seems to prolong pregnancy without detrimental effects on the growth of the fetus or on the course of labour."

#6 of 10 Old 02-12-2011, 12:10 PM
HRJ

how much is too much?  I'm only taking 600 mg.  Maybe I should stop them soon. 

#7 of 10 Old 02-12-2011, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Wow interesting.... see that was the connection with the bee propolis, i believe it does something to the proglastins, and unfortunately I was taking fish oil here and there as well but just stopped that around the same time as the propolis (41 weeks I think ) because I didn't realize it could be a blood thinner as well........................... I just wish that I had known all of this stuff and I wouldn't have even tried the bee propolis (for gbs) and stopped the fish oil earlier in my third trimester.... blah..... Well anyway I am now 41 weeks and 3 days I hope the effects of the supplements are gone so I can go into labor by 42 weeks..... Now I am faced with a hospital induction if I don't go into labor by Wed....  Any ideas to speed up the process?

#8 of 10 Old 02-14-2011, 10:58 AM

HRJ, The studies are of much higher doses.

Personally, I'll stop fish oils at 36 weeks for a few reasons - 1.  I dont want to go over ;)  2.  They thin the blood 3.  I want a baby with a nice healthy small head :)  Ill restart high dose supplements once baby is out.

Janarae,

It doesnt sound like you took enough fish oil to really cause the results above :  Im sure babe will come any day now!  Average gestation for a first time mama is 41w1d.

Are you sure on your dates?  Did you have longer menstrual cycles?

#9 of 10 Old 02-15-2011, 10:45 AM
HRJ

This is all interesting to me as I picked up Evening Primrose Oil yesterday and saw it is mostly Omega 6s.  The whole prostaglandin thing is making sense.

#10 of 10 Old 02-16-2011, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah I am totally sure of my dates, used ovulation test kit, two weeks later got my bfp, and my due date matches exactly with my lmp and a 6 week ultrasound...             I am overdosing on evening primrose oil at this point, and yesterday I tried castor oil to no avail.................. today I am 42 weeks and I refused my induction which was supposed to be last night.  So we are going in for more testing today and tomorrow to make sure the baby is ok. I just hope something happens soon.  If not, we will consent to being induced just shy of 43 weeks....  *sigh*

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page