Anybody use the home gender test? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-14-2011, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've been thinking about picking up one of those urine gender predictor tests. But I don't want to get all excited about one gender only for it to turn out to be another. I know it's never 100% even with ultrasound but I'm willing to take the risk if it's 90+%. How accurate are these things? If you've used it, how easy was it to interpret and was it accurate?

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#2 of 7 Old 02-14-2011, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't have personal experience, but there have been threads in past DDCs comparing those test results with the actual results. Seems like it's pretty much a scam/placebo, with around 50% accuracy or so. I seem to remember last year's June DDC had a thread on it if you want to look it up...

At the same time, it might be fun just to play around with.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#3 of 7 Old 02-14-2011, 12:19 PM

With my last child, my due date board did an intelligender test experiement. They used different household ingredients, like vinegar and stuff and it gave all kinds of different boy/girl results. The ones that used them properly according to a poll where 56% correct. Not even close to reliable to me.  

#4 of 7 Old 02-14-2011, 05:06 PM

I used one for my last child and it was right!  It was fun and super easy...just pee in a cup...plus it was only 20 bucks, so what's the harm :)

If you want to try it, then go ahead and try it!  But like it says on the box..don't go and paint your nursery blue or pink after reading the results.

#5 of 7 Old 02-15-2011, 06:03 PM

I did one and it was correct (as per my ultrasounds). It said I was having a boy. :)  It's just for fun, if you want to try and see if it works for you, go for it.

#6 of 7 Old 02-20-2011, 02:31 PM

I did it but just for fun.  I haven't had my u/s yet.  My best friend took the test when she was in her 2nd tri and it came out girl, clear as day.  Hers was right!  She's expecting a girl in April!  Mine came out super clear boy, so we shall see in a few weeks.  So far at my NT scan, the tech was about 80% sure baby is a boy.  It's not an expensive home test, it's fun, and why not do it if you're interested?  It helps pass the time!  

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#7 of 7 Old 02-20-2011, 02:40 PM

I hear it's about a 50/50 thing. A friend of mine did one and it said boy and she's having a girl. I think if you go into with a "it's fun" attitude and don't bank on what it says you'll be fine. I'm glad I didn't do one because my oldest REALLY wanted a brother and would've been heartbroken if it had said boy and we ended up with a girl.

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page