Who's not having an ultrasound? And what are the pros/cons in your opinion? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 33 Old 02-22-2011, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by morganlefay View Post
I also feel fairly content not having one--I'm not convinced they're 100% safe, and often they indicate problems that don't end up as problems.  So, I guess I'm just "letting go" with this one.

I feel the same way and since I often freak out about potential complications of stuff I am glad to have achieved this level of calm.

I also agree with the comment that says ultrasounds may not pose much of a safety risk but on the population level there isn't much of a benefit shown for routine ultrasounds either.

However, hubby feels very strongly that we should have one and so I decided to get one after all... it's his kid too, and I think it's harder for him because he doesn't have the day-to-day connection to it, feeling it move, etc. that I have.

But if it were up to me and he were neutral on it, I'd take a pass.

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#32 of 33 Old 02-23-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherbirthlove View Post

That's what I hate about these types of procedures... one tends to lead to another.

Exactly why I don't have any ultrasounds.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#33 of 33 Old 02-25-2011, 09:31 PM

I know a family who discovered their daughter's neural tube defect on ultrasound. Because they new about it ahead of time, she was delivered by c-section, avoiding damage to the spine, and she has made huge strides (literally) in terms of being able to walk and have very minimal special needs. A vaginal birth would definitely have damaged her nerves much more. So there's one more anecdote in favor of at least one prenatal ultrasound.

For what it's worth, we did have a stressful time during my second pregnancy, when the initial ultrasound revealed a so-called "soft sign" for Down's syndrome. Further tests did not give any indicators of problems, and I went on to have a normal, healthy delivery of my normal (I think!) healthy son. So I do understand the stress that can accompany false positive tests.

It's not anywhere near the stress of finding out that your baby has an actual medical problem, though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page