Mothering Forum banner

Can You Tell a Woman is Pregnant Before She Knows It?

49K views 42 replies 38 participants last post by  Jocelynn 
#1 ·
I was just watching an episode of "Lark Rise to Candleford" (great show, BTW), and there was an older female character who looked into the eyes of a younger character and told her she was pregnant (the younger woman did not yet know it).

I was just wondering, are there really people who can do this in real life? Or does it just make for good television?

#2 ·
I've heard anecdotal evidence that some people can, yeah. I remember one MDC mama saying her oldest daughter could always tell when she was pregnant by sniffing her mother's coat! Remember, lots of mothers don't know they're pregnant for a good 5-6 weeks or even longer, so they might be showing subtle physical signs, or giving off unusual pheromones, or something which an intuitive person could pick up on.

I also remember watching The White Masai (movie based on a book, based on a true story). In the movie, the white woman was told she was pregnant by some Masai women, after they felt her skin. They were right. I'm not sure how factual that was though - I don't remember that incident occurring in the book, but maybe I just forgot it?

#5 ·
With my first pregnancy my mom knew I was pregnant before I did. We were talking on the phone and I apparently laughed a deep laugh which was how her sister laughed when she was pregnant. She didn't mention that to me at the time- she just asked me if I was feeling ok and at the time I felt completely normal. I assumed she thought I was getting sick for whatever reason even though I didn't sound sick. I didn't have a clue yet. A week or 2 later my period was a day late, tested and sure enough I was pregnant.

#9 ·
I think I must be the odd one out here because I would HATE for someone to know I was pregnant before I knew. It annoyed me that someone I knew through someone else said they had a dream that I was pregnant and therefore "knew" I was pregnant before I did. Whatever, people had been suspecting I was pregnant since just after DH and I got married, so just because you happened to think it when I was, doesn't mean you knew! Maybe I'm too private about it...
redface.gif

#10 ·
I knew that my older sister was pregnant with her second before she even missed her period. We were very close at the time and I tend to be more on the sensitive side in detecting things. With her first I got a lot of her food aversion symptoms even though we didn't live together or spend a lot of time together at the time. My mom always thought it was a little weird. It's just how it worked. We live on opposite coasts now and I miss that close bond I had with her.

#12 ·
Not quite the same but I tested positive at 3w 3d. At 3w 6d ds's para from last year at school guessed that I was pregnant. If I hadn't tested early he would have guessed before I knew (since I hadn't missed my period yet). I hadn't seen him in awhile but I just happened to see him in the hall at school one day and he totally knew. He says it's because he used to be an investigative reporter so he can pick up the slightest change in people. I was shocked.

#14 ·
Yes. I've noticed subtle changes in a woman's face before and could pick right up on it. I've told several women they were expecting before they knew!

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by krankedyann View Post

Yes. I've noticed subtle changes in a woman's face before and could pick right up on it. I've told several women they were expecting before they knew!
Same here. I get a sense about it... I can't really place my finger on what it is but I have guessed someone pregnant and been right several times. I wish I could do the same for myself though, lol.

#17 ·
Quote:
Yes. I've noticed subtle changes in a woman's face before and could pick right up on it.
You mean like chloasma? Mum noticed that on a woman at church once (I don't think it was before she knew, but before she'd told anyone). I couldn't see a difference. Or do you mean the face looks puffier or chubbier or something? Or something more poetic? :p As a non-intuitive person, I'm fascinated!

I did have weird dreams that SIL was going to go into labour the night before she did, though; and weird strong Braxton-Hicks all that day. Which was odd, because we're friends, but we're not THAT close...

#18 ·
I was 12 when I knew my mother was pregnant before she did. I kept bugging her whenever we went out together and she kept denying it. Finally after I don't know how much bugging, she revealed that she was indeed pregnant but that she just found out and to not say anything to my dad as she hadn't told him yet.

I was just psyched I was RIGHT, and that I was gonna be a big sister again for the 5th time.

I've guessed right for some other friends as well, way before they came out and announce pregnancies. I even knew about my 2nd before I could even TEST positive; but I just KNEW I was pregnant.

#19 ·
My MIL knew I was pregnant before I got a positive result. It weirded me out, so I denied it and didn't tell her for a while.
ROTFLMAO.gif
Apparently she has done it to MANY other people. I'm guessing it's being sensitive to hormonal changes?

#20 ·
I knew my mom was pregnant before she did for my last two sisters (I was 10 and 15 respectively)

#21 ·
MIL knew! She told me before I was pregnant I would be soon...(had a dream) I said she was nuts b/c I was on birth control. Then she called me again when she thought I was...One month later was her b-day and we went out. I had a margarita and had the worst pain in my stomach from it. Two weeks later I noticed AF didn't come and then found out I was 2 months pregnant!

She called me yesterday to tell me I was pregnant with a boy though and I have an IUD and she knows it....so IDK this time she may just be nuts haha

#22 ·
Every time I've been pregnant, some random MAN has asked me if I am before I knew I was.

First time, it was a casual acquaintance at a dinner party. No! Not pregnant! Why would you ask that?! Turns out....yes, I was pg :eek:

Second time, it was a very good friend--but he wasn't in the same state as me. Question was posed on a phone call??? I said "no". Found out later--"yes". But miscarried...

Last time, it was a student in my class (adult class). Again....No! Why, do I look pg??? ...and found out soon after yes, I was....

Apparently, it is super obvious to men when I'm pg :p Curiously, my dh was shocked every time, lol!

#24 ·
My DH knew when I was about 4 weeks. I found out about a week or two later. The girl at the convenience store also told my brother that she "saw a baby around him" a few weeks before we shared the news with him. At the time, I hadn't been in the store, ever. My brother went home and interrogated his poor wife; we knew at the time that the girl was perceptive though. She also correctly predicted my DD's sex.
shrug.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.