Any one else have pain in the crotch, for lack of a better term? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-21-2011, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've had intense pain in the crotch area for the last week or so, and I was wondering if anyone else has had this and what to do about it. It feels like pulled muscles, but what muscles are there? It hurts when I walk or lift one leg (like while putting on pants), especially after I've been lying or sitting for a while. My doc says most pain is normal during pregnancy, and that I could do physical therapy for it, but if there's some stretch or something I can do, I'd prefer that. Anyone have any ideas?

ETA I'm at 31 weeks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 02-21-2011, 05:23 AM

Wow, I could have written this one myself!  Crotch pain here!  It feels like I pulled my crotch muscle, LOL.  Exactly, when I lift a leg or move a certain way, it hurts!  This is my second pregnancy and I do not remember feeling this with my first DS.  How weird!  I mentioned it to my OB and she thinks it's definitely baby putting pressure on the area...

Don't ask me how to make it feel better, I wish I knew!  At least we're not alone on this one!  I'm at 33 weeks...

Mama to two wonderful boys DS1 (May 2007) and DS2 (March 2011)      

bfinfant.gif    femalesling.GIF  familybed2.giflactivist.gif

#3 of 15 Old 02-21-2011, 06:39 AM

My first thought was you're just feeling strain on your pelvic floor muscles from the weight of the baby/uterus. Unfortunately it's normal during pregnancy, but exercise helps. Doing kegels while squatting can strengthen those muscles (but if it hurts, don't do it!) Just walking as much as possible is a safe way to keep things strong.

You also might be having pain from your pubic symphysis separating: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphysis_pubis_dysfunction?wasRedirected=true

HTH
#4 of 15 Old 02-21-2011, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)

I've had to 2x this pregnancy so far.  Mine is like on top of my pelvic floor - like where the triangle of hair is.  I also had some pain down the groin in the inside of my thigh.  It was one of those "I didn't even know I HAD muscles there," kinds of things.  I do know it was from shoveling heavy snow (and using my leg to lift the heavy shovel), which makes sense that you would use muscles that you didn't know you had when you're doing something you only do a couple days/year.  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#5 of 15 Old 02-21-2011, 08:26 AM

I have something similar and I believe mine is due to my pubic symphysis relaxing/separating.  I notice it most when I've been sitting or laying down in bed and then get up.  My midwife suggested to keep my knees together in situations when it normally hurts (i.e. turning over in bed, getting out of the car, etc) and it really seems to help.  This prevents you from pulling on that joint too much I believe.

#6 of 15 Old 02-21-2011, 08:39 AM

I'm having lots of pain too, but it feels like bone on bone down there - like baby's head is right on my pubic bone.  I do notice it a lot more when I get up after sitting or laying for a while. 

I am actually going to a chiropractor today about it because I feel it's only going to get worse as the pregnancy progresses and baby gets bigger.  My midwife recommended doing that and just taking tylenol. 

#7 of 15 Old 02-21-2011, 03:42 PM

Same problem here and it gets worse with each pregnancy. My muscles/tendons ect are so stretched

and weak that the smallest things pull them so severely and then I cant hardly even walk. I cant put my

pants or underwear on without major pain there. Cant lift my legs when changing positions laying down, ect.

It hurts both on my pubic bone and my groin muscles so double whammy. Doctor said it was normal that my muscles have

been stretched too many times and just wont hold up as well as someone with their first or 2nd.

Its killer!

Stephanie

#8 of 15 Old 02-21-2011, 07:45 PM

Too had crippling symphysis pubis pain with both pregnancies--exactly as you described: started as a pulled-muscle feeling but ultimately I could barely walk, turn over in bed, get dressed...awful. My amazing chiropractor completely saved me with #2: I can't recommend it highly enough. I was also blown off by my OB the first time around, when I mentioned my agonizing pain...thank goodness I knew better (and had insurance coverage for chiro visits!) the second time.

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

#9 of 15 Old 02-22-2011, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I'm glad to hear it's not totally abnormal. I guess I'll try out the physical therapy and hope for the best. It has been getting worse every day. :-(

#10 of 15 Old 02-25-2011, 04:23 PM

Yep, I have it too...it's horrible.  I've never had it this early in pregnancy before though.  It hurts anytime I get up from sitting or lying...and trying to walk on ice is ridiculous(I live in Alaska so can't really avoid it)...I slip at least once on every trip out and it makes it hurt so badly.  The chiro definitely helps.

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#11 of 15 Old 02-25-2011, 04:46 PM

Get this book:  http://www.amazon.com/Relieving-Pelvic-During-After-Pregnancy/dp/0897934806/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298680847&sr=8-1

Seriously, it's made the difference for me between crippling can-barely-walk-by-the-end-of-pregnancy pain, and being functional and fairly comfortable.  The only advice I got the first time (before I got this book, which was written by a physical therapist) was to try to keep my legs together and that there wasn't anything to be done about it.  Luckily, that turns out to be total hooey.  Well, okay, unluckily I didn't figure that out till my second pregnancy, but at this point I'm not going to complain.

(that's twice this week I've recommended it on MDC, but this is where I first heard about it, so I figure I should return the favor!)

#12 of 15 Old 02-26-2011, 06:21 AM

I have this same pain, OP.  It's right where bikini underwear elastic would be between my crotch and my leg and feels almost as if I were wearing cripplingly-tight underwear!  My chiropractor said it's normal, and she did some extra round ligament work to try to help.  I guess it helped a little, but only being in the pool really helped (I take a water aerobics class).  I don't have a bathtub, but maybe a warm bath might help you.   

Oh, my chiropractor also suggested icing it and/or using arnica gel.  I haven't tried that yet.

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#13 of 15 Old 02-26-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prothyraia View Post

Get this book:  http://www.amazon.com/Relieving-Pelvic-During-After-Pregnancy/dp/0897934806/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298680847&sr=8-1

Seriously, it's made the difference for me between crippling can-barely-walk-by-the-end-of-pregnancy pain, and being functional and fairly comfortable.  The only advice I got the first time (before I got this book, which was written by a physical therapist) was to try to keep my legs together and that there wasn't anything to be done about it.  Luckily, that turns out to be total hooey.  Well, okay, unluckily I didn't figure that out till my second pregnancy, but at this point I'm not going to complain.

(that's twice this week I've recommended it on MDC, but this is where I first heard about it, so I figure I should return the favor!)

Thanks for the recommendation!  I picked this up from our local library today and it looks like it has a lot of info, I look forward to reading it.

#14 of 15 Old 02-27-2011, 10:35 AM

YES! i'm in my first trimester still, but I have belly cramping and "crotch" pain too. It feels like muscle spasms? I'm glad I'm not crazy, because I wasn't going to post that I was having crotch pain on here but I've definitely been wanting to know if that's normal. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

#15 of 15 Old 02-28-2011, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

I have this same pain, OP.  It's right where bikini underwear elastic would be between my crotch and my leg and feels almost as if I were wearing cripplingly-tight underwear!  My chiropractor said it's normal, and she did some extra round ligament work to try to help.  I guess it helped a little, but only being in the pool really helped (I take a water aerobics class).  I don't have a bathtub, but maybe a warm bath might help you.   

Oh, my chiropractor also suggested icing it and/or using arnica gel.  I haven't tried that yet.

Yes, that's a perfect description of where I feel it! It's on both sides of my vulva, but deeper in, not actually vulva or skin pain. 

I'm only 20 weeks...didn't think I would start having pain like this for a while, until baby was bigger and stuff! And it's hard to describe to someone (or when searching the internet lol) where the pain is felt. 

Michelle SAHM to K (3/2004)  H (8/2006) P (7/2011) & we're missing Finley Jonas born still, July 27, 2010 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page