Food allergies and protein requirements - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-25-2011, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm 6 weeks pg and determined to eat well this pregnancy, I had pre-e with my last one and I admit I did not have a great diet. I have come a long way since then though. What complicates things is that I have allergies to gluten, dairy, and eggs. Thankfully, I do like all kinds of meat and we do buy high quality (we bought half of a grass fed cow so plenty of beef available). But besides meat, what can I substitute for the dairy and eggs? Would protein powder shakes do (rice, pea, hemp)? I don't want to do a lot of soy, no more than one glass per day. If I do have a craving for milk, I usually drink rice milk, and although fortified with calcium, it has no protein. Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2011, 01:32 PM

I am also on a gluten and dairy free diet, although I can have eggs. I also stay away from soy as much as I can. I don't like the brown rice protein powder, I feel like it's gritty... but I do like adding a heaping spoonful of peanut or almond butter to a smoothie with some bananas, some almond milk, and a little cocoa powder... Do you like almond milk? Or any other nut milks? Or hemp milk? Those would have more protein than the rice milk, probably, since what they're made from are protein sources... I make my own almond milk from raw almonds, it is really easy (and you can do it in any old blender, my blender sucks and it still works) and it tastes SO good.

Other high protein foods that I've enjoyed: hummus, nuts, quinoa, beans... and when I make oatmeal, I add chia seeds, flax meal, and hemp seeds, and sometimes ground almonds to it to increase the protein.

The protein really helped me, especially in the beginning, to ward off morning sickness. I still had it, but it wasn't nearly as bad as it's been in my previous pregnancies. Eating something with a lot of protein first thing in the morning was my best bet at not throwing up.

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
Old 02-26-2011, 01:14 PM

Hemp powder , soaked cashews in a smothy nuts nuts butters beans , beans salads with yummy vinergers or lemon juice if you don't vinegar . Some fish chicken along with the beef . Hummus . A
Iittle tofo it is better then processed soys. If you do " fake " food megalife meal replacements are yummy I like the chocolate mixed with rice milk

User Tag List