Best prenatal vitamins? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-01-2011, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What is the best prenatal vitamin in your opinion?  I am taking the Super Nutrition Simply One prenatal right now.  It dosnt have any of the extra crap in it (propylene glycol anyone!?).  I cut it in half because it has such high vitamin concentrations, and I eat healthy so I get nutrition from my food too.

#2 of 12 Old 03-02-2011, 04:40 AM

I like Rainbow Light.
#3 of 12 Old 03-02-2011, 05:54 AM

I like Megafood vitamins a lot. They are all food based, which makes them more expensive but I think worth the price difference.

http://www.vitacost.com/MegaFood-Baby-Me

mama to ds 6, dd 4, & ds who arrived March 2012

#4 of 12 Old 03-02-2011, 06:05 PM

I loved New Chapter Organics' Prenatal vitamins, but they're really expensive.  They made my hair long and shiny.

Still-learning wife to long-suffering and wonderful DH and manoula to DS #1 (8/09), an angel baby (7/10), and DD #1 due May 29!
#5 of 12 Old 03-02-2011, 08:15 PM

I second the New Chapter prenatals. They are more expensive than your average brand, but they are a whole food vitamin so your body recognizes them. IMO, the cheaper ones are just a waste anyways, or possibly even doing more harm than good. For this pregnancy (atleast for now) I am just using Dr. Schulz Superfood in smoothies, my midwife has ok'd it. But I will probably get the New Chapter prenatals for days if I'm not able to make a smoothie fo whatever reason.

SAHM to my #1 little miss (9/11/09) and have been TTC since 06/10 (with 1 loss 3/12/11).We do all the usual "crunchy" things!I'm typing from my iPhone so please excuse any errors.
#6 of 12 Old 03-06-2011, 04:57 PM

I started out with the New Chapter's but they made me SO sick. I think there is soy in some form, and I don't do well with that. Last time, I took Rainbow LIght and did great, and I plan on going back to that. Not all vits are for all people. FInd what works and stick with it!

Amanda, DW to Drew, mom to Ella, 7, Gardner, 2, homesteading on the edge of the continent on the Lost Coast.
mdcblog5.gif California Homesteading, http://eastmillcreek.blogspot.com

#7 of 12 Old 03-10-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaleel View Post

I like Rainbow Light.

Me too.

Wife to my hubby and SAHM to two boys -  DS1 (2) and DS2 (newborn).  Forever missing our three angels in Heaven. 

#8 of 12 Old 03-12-2011, 04:16 AM

There is soy in the new chapter vitamins, I have taken them in previous pregnancies but have been avoiding soy for some time now so opted not to take new chapter this time. The megafood are also whole food based but don't have soy. My biggest problem is that i have to remember to take four a day, but that is usually not a problem. Plus, our bodies assimilate better if we aren't taking all the nutrients in one pill. I'm also taking megafood blood builder this time, it is helping a bit with exhaustion.

mama to ds 6, dd 4, & ds who arrived March 2012

#9 of 12 Old 03-12-2011, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.  I chose to avoid the New Chapter because of the soy also, and I would have a hard time remebering to take 4 vitamins a day.  I could manage 2, so I am thinking of getting the Rainbow Light 1 a day prenatal, and cutting it in half, taking one in the morning, and one at night.  I hear it is a horse pill anyway, so that should help.  The Super Nutrition vitamin I am taking now has such large amounts of vitamins that I have just been taking half a vitmain per day, and eating a good diet. 

Anyone know why most prenatals seem to have such a huge amount of B vitamins in them?

#10 of 12 Old 03-12-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love4ever View Post

Anyone know why most prenatals seem to have such a huge amount of B vitamins in them?

My ND told me certain B vitamins help with nausea and fatigue.  

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#11 of 12 Old 03-12-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love4ever View Post

Thanks everyone.  I chose to avoid the New Chapter because of the soy also, and I would have a hard time remebering to take 4 vitamins a day.  I could manage 2, so I am thinking of getting the Rainbow Light 1 a day prenatal, and cutting it in half, taking one in the morning, and one at night.  I hear it is a horse pill anyway, so that should help.  The Super Nutrition vitamin I am taking now has such large amounts of vitamins that I have just been taking half a vitmain per day, and eating a good diet. 

They *are* pretty big. You could also get the Rainbow Light prenatal petites (3x a day) and take 2 with breakfast then one later or whatever - it's not as cost effective, but it might be easier than trying to split the big ones.

Wife to my hubby and SAHM to two boys -  DS1 (2) and DS2 (newborn).  Forever missing our three angels in Heaven. 

#12 of 12 Old 07-13-2011, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Hey just wanted to update this thread that I started months ago.  I am now 24 weeks pregnant.  I was taking Rainbow Lights Certified Organics whole foods prenatals after doing some research and finding that unless a vitamin is whole foods based/grown, its "vitamins" are made of synthetic chemical isolates that are not at all bioavailable for the body, and hardly absorbed.  After doing more research I realized it is best to avoid ginseng during pregnancy, and the Rainbow Light vitamins do have ginseng in them, so I switched to Garden of Life RAW prenatals, which I like even more!!  So, after experiencing several types of vitamins in both of my pregnancies, I have concluded that the Garden of Life prenatals are best.  And for a DHA supplement I think Carlson Labs is the best:)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page