Mothering Forum banner

Cholestasis? Anyone??

1K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  ~adorkable~ 
#1 ·
Do any of you have experience with cholestasis?

I've been itching like CRAZY, with no rash. I didn't think much of it at first since I have sensitive skin and tend to get itchy now & then anyway, but it's just been getting worse and worse. It's especially bad at night. I finally googled it last night and now I'm freaking out that it might be cholestasis.

Has anyone here had it? What treatment did you get? Were you induced early?

I'm going to call my midwife tomorrow and see if I can get blood tests done soon.

#3 ·
It could just be dry skin/irritation, but I've tried moisturisers (which would normally help) and they have no effect. Also, my skin doesn't feel dry.

The itchiness is worst on my back and legs, and almost not at all on my belly or boobs (where you might expect typical pregnancy itching).

I haven't had any itching on my hands or feet. Does that rule out cholestasis?

#5 ·
Get the test done and yes do both types even if the liver test is normal. Sarna lotion seems to help the itching, but be careful putting it on to much area at once, it makes you very very cold. Cold shower or bath is also helpful. I had no itching in my hands or feet till it was much farther along.

Please let us know how things are. How many weeks are you now? I know it's hard to do when you have questions, but do your best to relax, the first time you read about it it is way to scary, the reality of having it is less so and more just really frustrating.

#6 ·
Thanks so much for the quick responses.

I'm nearly 27 weeks.

I'm not sure my midwife will be in until Wednesday. Should I press to see someone sooner? I'm not sure how urgent this is.

I'm also a bit nervous that she'll be dismissive. In my googling it seems that a lot of medical professionals haven't heard of it and just dismiss it as a normal pregnancy symptom.

#7 ·
wed should be fine, the test will also take a while to get back. depending on how you want to deal with it, some things can be started just based on symptoms.

it may be nothing keep that in mind, but also never let someone be dismissive of your health and symptoms.

i would encurage you not to get to worried, wait till you find out more and then just take it one step at a time and know that things should be just fine regaurdless of the tests results

have you read www.itchymoms.com ? i liked that site, it words things very well and after reading many medical journals and talking to doctors that knew the details very well, i can say that that site has their facts correct and gives a very good picture.

if you would like to, you can work on liver health right away with milk thistle and dandelion root tinctures, both easy to get and well known for liver health. please make sure not to buy or take anything for liver "cleanse" as that can dump toxins into your body that the baby does not need.

i remember the feeling that i as going nuts, im here for you so you dont have to feel like that as well

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Adorkable~ View Post

if you would like to, you can work on liver health right away with milk thistle and dandelion root tinctures, both easy to get and well known for liver health.
This is good advice. I had mild obstetric cholestasis with DS1, and the tinctures helped tremendously with my itching. I took a dropper full, 3 times per day until my itching went away (about 72 hours), and then a dropper full morning and evening from that point on. Also, be especially careful of fat intake until you get results back. Fat taxes the liver and gallbladder. Essential fatty acids (fish, avocados, etc) are fine, but otherwise, keep fats to a minimum. If you start taking the tinctures, cut back on the fats, and notice a decrease in symptoms, then you're probably at least having liver issues.

From what my midwife told me, there are varying degrees of liver upset. Pregnancy, in general, is taxing on the liver. It's filtering for two (or more)! But I agree with previous posters, in that your midwife shouldn't dismiss your concerns. Make her run the tests, even if they seem silly to her.

#9 ·
Yeah I was on 60 drops (that's two dropper full if I remember right) 3 times a day of both things and yes reduse harsh fats for sure, but in my opinion please make sure to still gets lots of the good ones like the previous lady listed.

My symptoms did not go away, but they did calm down. I had it developing for many weeks before I got tested and started treating things, I wish I had caught it earlier, it may have saved my a lot of discomfort. And I will never know if that is also what caused my to go into labor at 35w5days. It is fine that it did, my twins were strong and healthy but I still wish they had another week to brew, we were planning natural induction things for just shy of 37 weeks, they ended up coming on there own 36w0d. My itching finally went away about a week after I gave birth.

#10 ·
Thanks for the support & advice ladies, I really appreciate it.
smile.gif

I spoke to my midwife this morning and to my relief she knew what it was and immediately suggested a blood test. I'll do it tomorrow morning and hopefully get results soon-ish.

I'm trying not to worry about it too much, seeing as it could easily turn out to be nothing. I'll update when I get the results.

#11 ·
I'm glad your midwife wasn't dismissive about your concerns. A friend of mine had that with her 4th and 6th pregnancies and she was watched very closely. She did have to deliver early with both as they were concerned the further she went along. Her first time with it they didn't know what it was and kept her in the hospital for a month. Thankfully they figured it out.

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake777 View Post

Update: blood tests came back negative!
smile.gif
I'm very relieved. My midwife wants to test again in a few weeks to be on the safe side.
YAY! So glad to hear that for you! I'm waiting on the office to call me back with my results. I called the lab and they said the results are in and were faxed, so, I should find out shortly!

(it's been a nail biting day)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.