Coffee confessions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-11-2011, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

How much coffee do you drink?

I didn't drink any with my first pregnancy.  However, now that I'm pregnant with number 2 and often don't get much sleep due to number 1...I never quit completely.  I drink about 1 coffee a day, as in 1 small Starbucks. Very occasionally, I have more than that.  Maybe 3x this whole pregnancy I got a medium.  Normally, I don't support a company like that and I am anti-fast food completely.  But, when I'm pregnant, all bets are off and I just have to survive.  (My pregnancies tend to be really rough from the start with hypermesis gravidarum).  My dd has been up coughing at 10:30 on the dot for almost 1 complete month.  Sometimes so much that she gags and then cries.  Even if my husband takes care of it, I am still wide awake and I just haven't slept through the night in more than a month.  I am SO tired.  The coffee helps tremendously.

Is this TOTALLY awful? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2011, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

No, it's not awful.  Many women continue to drink coffee while pregnant; everything in moderation.

During all four of my pregnancies I drank one cup a day, most days, except when I had an aversion to it the first trimester. 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

The only pg I didn't drink coffee in was #1, with 2,3 and 4, I need much more caffeine than 1 cup to get me through my day with all the other children waking me up during the night. Eh, what ever allows us to survive is my motto. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:40 PM

I drank a good deal of coffee when I was pregnant with dd. As long as it doesn't make yup jittery or anxious I think it's probably fine.

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
Old 03-11-2011, 06:00 PM

I don't think it's awful either.  I drink a cup of black tea or coffee a day, some days it may be a bit more coffee if I'm really tired for some reason.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:02 PM

I have a cup some days. My previous CNM told me up to 3 cups a day was fine, but I don't think I'd want to drink that much (I don't tend to be too comfortable when I have that much!) I had a cup about an hour before my ultrasound, and the tech told me mine was one of the most active babies she'd ever seen. I'm not sure if that was the coffee, or if I'm going to have a really high-energy child.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:29 PM

I am more concerned with milligrams of caffeine than with the "cups" of coffee. I make a latte at home that contains about 150 mg caffeine. A tall latte from starbucks contains less than 100 grams I believe. I've read in several different places that less than 300 mg of caffeine a day during pregnancy is considered safe, so yes, I feel completely fine drinking the amount I drink every day. I need it to get through the day. lol

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

Old 03-12-2011, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBone View Post

I am more concerned with milligrams of caffeine than with the "cups" of coffee. I make a latte at home that contains about 150 mg caffeine. A tall latte from starbucks contains less than 100 grams I believe. I've read in several different places that less than 300 mg of caffeine a day during pregnancy is considered safe, so yes, I feel completely fine drinking the amount I drink every day. I need it to get through the day. lol

This is how I was looking at it, too...but I still worried.  Maybe because it does feel like this child is more active than the last.  Although, I think partly, she's just "pushing back" since my dd1 is constantly climbing on/nudging, pushing and pulling my belly.  I'm feeling less guilty about it now.  Thank you ladies.  It's just sometimes I talk to people who are strictly NO caffeine and I start to worry.  I'm not an alarmist and neither is my doctor.  I'm thinking he'd be saying about what you all are saying.  THANKS!  Enjoyed my small half-decaf guilt free this morning.  But, dd was up a LOT last night...so maybe I'll sneak in one more small cup before the day's over.  thumb.gif

Old 03-12-2011, 08:10 PM

I still drink coffee every morning, although I've cut it down to half a cup. I make my coffee strong though, so it probably ends up being around the equivalent of a whole cup.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:49 AM

I drank coffee pretty much through both prgnancies. No problems at all. I would personally make sure the coffee is organic because of all the pesticides used on conventionally grown stuff, but other that that wouldn't worry too much.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:21 PM

I'm another pregnant coffee drinker!  I didn't drink coffee much before my second child was born, and then I became a regular when I was battling sleepless newborn nights and a demanding toddler.  When I got pregnant with number 3, coffee (and soda too) made me sick in the first tri, so i stopped drinking it til about 4 months, and then gradually began drinking again.  Same thing happened with this pregnancy.  Even though it helped the nausea, it intensified the exhaustion because I was going through caffeine withdrawal.  Now, I can enjoy a cup now and then, yeah! Anyway, as others have said "all things in moderation" 

Mama to Butterfly, B(ee), Bug, and Laniecakes

Old 03-13-2011, 08:29 PM

Still drinking coffee here!  We have small mugs, so at home I fill it maybe halfway and the rest is creamer (lol).  But out and about, I get a small and same thing, light and sweet.  If I have 2 small cups a day, I consider it a lot.  I try to stick to just one cup per day, but with a 2.5 yo sometimes it's all I can do to have another small cup around 4 or 5 pm!  

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 03-14-2011, 08:03 AM

oh, and FYI, espresso has significantly less caffeine than straight coffee! Even brewed at home. So, yes, drinking strictly espresso will reduce the amount of caffeine you drink.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

Old 03-14-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:

oh, and FYI, espresso has significantly less caffeine than straight coffee! Even brewed at home. So, yes, drinking strictly espresso will reduce the amount of caffeine you drink.

Yup. I have one homemade espresso most days, two on rough mornings, and it's still less caffeine than in a typical cup of coffee.

Mom to energy.gif(11/08) and  babyboy.gif  (4/11)

Old 03-14-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:

Yep!  Which works well for me since I love espresso so much.  Regular coffee always makes me feel jittery, but I can drink what seems to be a large amount of espresso and feel fine. 

I drank almost no coffee during my first pregnancy (I actually remember the last espresso I got a few days before my bfp), although I had a few cups in the last third tri.  This time, I've been drinking it all along, except when it didn't sound good in the first tri.  I think due to being a mom and my work hours (up at 3:45 am 3 days a week) I really need that boost on some days. 

Oh, and this baby is much less active than my first son even though I drink caffeine pretty frequently this time.  Different pregnancy, different baby. smile.gif

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

User Tag List