2nd pregnancy Rhogam ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-11-2011, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
During my 1st pregnancy I was given Rhogam around 28 wks due to being A- and (I think I'm remembering this correctly) was told that at the birth if DD was any type + that I would also have another shot of it then. Well, I have completely forgotten about it since 28 wks, there was nothing at all said about it after her delivery. I am now 6 wks pregnant and thinking about this now. So, if I did not have another shot after delivery does that mean that DD has the same blood type as me? Where would I even find out her blood type? And what does that mean for this pregnancy? Am I supposed to get the 28 wk shot again?

DD was born in a hospital but I am not going back to the same group again, I am planning a HB for this one. We are moving out of state in a month, I have talked to a midwife there I think I really like on the phone but will not be seeing her till about 11 wks. Is this anything I should be concerned about before seeing her for the first time or is it not really a big deal? I would just like to have a heads up on what to expect about this or if there is any kind of information i need to track down?

SAHM to my #1 little miss (9/11/09) and have been TTC since 06/10 (with 1 loss 3/12/11).We do all the usual "crunchy" things!I'm typing from my iPhone so please excuse any errors.
#2 of 2 Old 03-14-2011, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you're generally comfortable with the idea of Rhogam, then another shot at 28 weeks and will prevent the dangerous sensitization that could occur if DD or this baby is Rh+, and will protect this pregnancy. Some women choose to decline it for different reasons. If you plan to have more children, the postpartum shot will protect those pregnancies.

You can get tested for sensitization now (I believe it's called a Kleihauer Betke test - simple blood test) if you want to make sure that DD wasn't Rh+ and you didn't develop antibodies which could pose a threat to this pregnancy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page