Supplement savvy Moms, what do you think of this prenatal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-22-2011, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know there are a lot of very knowledgeable people on these boards in terms of vitamins.  If you have a minute I would love for you to weigh in.  I am thinking about starting a prenatal and TTC, and contemplating the vast array of products (as well as price).  I want to at least consider a particular line of supplements, LifePak prenatal, because a family member is a distributor.  I've looked at the ingredients and product info and they claim that the product is very "bioavailable," but I am curious how others might rate this product from either personal experience or as someone who just knows supplements and the optimal amounts of vit./minerals pregnant women should take.  I have heard from books and such that it is best to find food based supplements, and I'm not sure if the ingredients are derived from food.  The cost is about $60/month supply.  Honestly, do you think this product is worth it?   This link is from the company's product information page and the nutrition facts are at the end.  Thanks!!

http://www.nuskin.com/content/dam/global/library/pdf/products/pip_lifepak_pprenatal.pdf

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2011, 07:55 AM

Hmm....not an expert by any means here, but just scanning over the pamphlet, seems like they're really using a lot of words to not say a lot.  I get New Chapter vitamins from vitacost.com (http://www.vitacost.com/New-Chapter-Perfect-Prenatal-96-Tablets), and it's about half the price, plus it's from a whole food source.  They also carry Rainbow Light for right around the same cost, which is another reputable brand.  I use to use Melaleuca brand vitamins, which I had to sign up with a distributor to buy, and they said a lot of the same things as this company is saying.  Not that I thought it was a bad vitamin, but they made the same claims of being more 'bioavailable', but IMHO, nothing could be more bioavailable than whole food source, and Melaleuca was not from whole foods.  I'm just of the opinion that the body doesn't like to be tricked, KWIM? Hope that helps.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:30 PM

I LOVE New Chapter... You can also get them at a good price at iHerb.com and on Amazon... if you do Amazon's "subscribe & save" you get even more of a discount (& you don't have to remember to reorder when you're getting low).  Whole Foods also seems to have a good price, if you are fortunate enough to live near one of those.  :)

Old 03-23-2011, 04:52 PM

Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanna84 View Post

I get New Chapter vitamins from vitacost.com (http://www.vitacost.com/New-Chapter-Perfect-Prenatal-96-Tablets), and it's about half the price, plus it's from a whole food source.  They also carry Rainbow Light for right around the same cost, which is another reputable brand.

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

Old 03-24-2011, 10:09 AM

I use shaklee :) They are also a whole food source supplement.... My whole familiy takes them. And while it doesnt say its a prenatal it has everything in it you would need :)

Wifey to Z and SAHM to C (12/03) T (7/08) M (4/10) and her irish twin C (4/11)

User Tag List