Pseudo Names you tell people when they ask Baby's name? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 03-23-2011, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

With my first 2, I told people the real name we planned on naming them. With #2, we didn't get the best feedback, but I didn't really mind all that much. But a friend of mine tells people Pseudo names until they have the baby, then tell everyone the real name. Do any of you have Pseudo names for your baby? If so, what are they? (I am trying to think of something offbeat and clever, but still somewhat believable)

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#2 of 31 Old 03-23-2011, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This might be a good idea.  People are so disappointed when I won't tell them the names we're thinking about.  Maybe use a name that was on your list, but got discarded?  That way there is an ounce of truth there.  For instance, Jackson was on our list at one point.

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

#3 of 31 Old 03-23-2011, 11:52 AM

DH has been telling everyone, including the kids, that this baby is going to be named either Agnes or Edith. biglaugh.gif

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#4 of 31 Old 03-23-2011, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

For mine, I was thinking:

Louise Anna for a girl

George Fredrick for a boy

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#5 of 31 Old 03-23-2011, 12:32 PM

With DS we told people his name would be Ironwolf Warhammer. LOL!
#6 of 31 Old 03-23-2011, 01:10 PM

With DD1, we found "Ninja" listed as a girls' name on a baby names site, so we told everyone we were calling her that. orngtongue.gif

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#7 of 31 Old 03-23-2011, 01:26 PM

DH calls baby Snorkles because "she is swimming in there". We actually have a running joke with some friends of ours on facebook where we post funny names we would never use like Chaberlain Carmicheal and Rinestone Sequins. It is so funny the response we get from people that think we are serious! I will get posts like "I don't know if I would use that name" or people telling me that they saw a name on facebook and are concerned for our baby. It is a joke people! 

Often I just say we haven't decided yet even though we are pretty sure we have a name. 

#8 of 31 Old 03-23-2011, 02:26 PM

We like to tell people we're naming the baby Optimus Kline (our last name) after the transformer.  I'm kind of shocked how many people believe us.

matte likes this.

#9 of 31 Old 03-23-2011, 04:44 PM

At first my DH was telling everyone that we were going to name him Gordon.  My SIL actually told us that if we named him that she would call him something else.

DH now came up with the name Awesome....so that is what we are calling him and telling people that's his name.  My DH and his family have unusual names so it's somewhat plausible to people that we might actually name our son Awesome.

D

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#10 of 31 Old 03-24-2011, 09:48 AM

--

#11 of 31 Old 03-24-2011, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We gave people our fourth and fifth choices on the baby name list. We kept the real names secret till after the birth.
#12 of 31 Old 03-24-2011, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
At first my DH was telling everyone that we were going to name him Gordon.  My SIL actually told us that if we named him that she would call him something else.

I really hate that! (The attitude, not the name.) I knew a woman once who refused to call her grandchild by his name for about two years. It wasn't even a dreadful name IMO, just trendy and unusual. In that case the child's parents were very young and inexperienced, and it seemed like such a petty way to disempower them and disrespect them.

I do believe if any of my relatives refused to call our baby by its us-given name, they could just do without seeing the baby until they got over it. I'm a bit touchy on that topic, though: MIL recently "informed" us that now DD has turned three, we can't use her nickname any more. And that's her decision how..? rant.gif

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#13 of 31 Old 03-24-2011, 05:49 PM

This little person is known as "Baby Blob" thanks to an early u/s pic. The last three were the alien, the little stranger and the creature. We also don't tell anyone the names until the baby comes.

Israel, mom to  DD, Ivy, 4-27-06 :and DS, Kai, 12-29-07 and DD, Lilith 2-1-10 and always remembering Alice fullterm stillborn 08/31/11 (unexplained placental abruption) 

#14 of 31 Old 03-24-2011, 09:51 PM

Tarantula Freeway.

SomethingAnonymous likes this.
#15 of 31 Old 03-24-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

I really hate that! (The attitude, not the name.) I knew a woman once who refused to call her grandchild by his name for about two years. It wasn't even a dreadful name IMO, just trendy and unusual. In that case the child's parents were very young and inexperienced, and it seemed like such a petty way to disempower them and disrespect them.

I do believe if any of my relatives refused to call our baby by its us-given name, they could just do without seeing the baby until they got over it. I'm a bit touchy on that topic, though: MIL recently "informed" us that now DD has turned three, we can't use her nickname any more. And that's her decision how..? rant.gif

I totally agree.  I think it's rude.  My feeling weren't hurt by this, but would have been had this been our top choice of names.  

It's our choice and our choice alone.  It's not a family decision or something we are making based on what others think is best for our son or us. 

My niece has a "different' name Tennessee.  My BIL really liked the name so my sister agreed to it.  Her middle name is Marie and for the longest time my Nana refused to acknowledge her by her given name.  She now has the nickname "Tenn" which is somewhat agreeable to my Nana.  I get that she is old fashioned--if that's what you want to call it but ultimately it's the parent's decisions and I feel it's a decision that should be respected. 

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#16 of 31 Old 03-24-2011, 10:11 PM

Our psuedo name for both of the last two has been Thor/Thoretta.  There is actually an uncle on DH's side (actually I think it's a great uncle, passed away many eyars ago before I met DH,) who's name was Thor.  Not a shortened version of Thornton or anything like that, but Thor like the mythology.  And for a bit, I think MIL actually got a bit excited thinking we might actually consider using it.  Yeeeaaaahhh.....no.  MIL has Norwegian ancestry and she kept subtly pushing for something Norwegiean...not happening.  Our last name is very eastern european, tacking a Norwegian first name onto that would just make it a mess.

Anyway, our choice to use a pseudo name wasn't so much about keeping our name choice a secret, but rather because we couldn't decide on a name. 

#17 of 31 Old 03-24-2011, 10:37 PM

We told people that if the baby was a girl we were calling her Chrysanthemum, "Chrythy" for short.

Our fake boy name was Taiger Aluminium - there's a long story behind that one. 

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#18 of 31 Old 03-25-2011, 12:20 PM

I would be afraid that I would have to spend a ton of time explaining why we "changed" names. I just tell everyone that we aren't interested in hearing everyone's comments, and we are waiting until he's born to name him. Even though we have him named and have been using his name at home :)

I have told some friends that I know won't give me sass. And maybe the internet. winky.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
I'm a bit touchy on that topic, though: MIL recently "informed" us that now DD has turned three, we can't use her nickname any more. And that's her decision how..? rant.gif

Someone in my family, I think my mom, decided we should stop calling DS "Sprout" instead of his real name. This comes from the woman who called him "Jackson" for.ever. because she didn't think the name we picked "fit" WTF-ever.

Luckily my Grandma said "I like the name Sprout, it fits him" and has occasionally called him that herself!

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#19 of 31 Old 03-25-2011, 06:26 PM

With DS1 it was "Turbo Danger"

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#20 of 31 Old 03-26-2011, 12:42 PM

DS was Moon Rocket. This baby is Sunburst. With ds I didn't tell anyone the real name until he was born and named. Ex and his family had picked out a name and were convinced I was going to name ds that so they even called him that in utero, despite me telling them he wasn't going to be named that! That really irked me. With this one we've told people they are welcome to throw out suggestions and we'll consider them, but if they tell us "you have to name the baby....." then the name automatically gets thrown out. We will not be discussing what names we are considering until the baby is born and has been named.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#21 of 31 Old 03-28-2011, 11:51 AM

We give names we've already discarded. I don't want opinions on the real contenders. And if I say we're not sure they go on and on with hideous options. If we say we're not telling, we get the riot act. You can't win!

Mama of 10yo dd, 7 yo ds, and 22 month old ds. No VAX, Anti-Circ, Lactivist, EC, UCB x 2. 

#22 of 31 Old 03-28-2011, 05:29 PM

#23 of 31 Old 03-28-2011, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Well, my mother and sisters seem to have taken to calling our unborn son Marmaduke. DH and I usually call him the Auxiliary Pig, but DH occasionally calls him "[Current top firstname contender] Pig", which rather annoys me because a) I'm not totally sold on that name yet and b) one day he's gonna slip up and do it in public.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#24 of 31 Old 03-30-2011, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

We call this one Balthazar. That's more of a pre-baby name than a pseudo baby name, though.

In "Friends" Phoebe suggests Ross and Rachel name their baby Phoebe if it's a girl, and Phoebo if it's a boy. Those would be good pseudo baby names.

Girl absolutely in love with boy and our DD (11/06), DS1 (08/11) and DS2 (brand new!)
#25 of 31 Old 03-30-2011, 10:02 PM

My DH is from Texas so we tried out a bunch of really Texas-y names. The one that stuck was Hank. MIL was really disappointed when it wasn't the real name. orngbiggrin.gif

sleepytime.gif
#26 of 31 Old 03-30-2011, 10:13 PM

DH got his dream job when I was six months pregnant so we told everyone we were naming our firstborn after the school (Clare or Clarance). People believed it....and I was happy enough to almost consider it.

Before that we told them the kid would be Chomley Bore.
#27 of 31 Old 04-04-2011, 06:04 AM

The fake baby names I've been keeping in mind for a while are:  Ziggy (the Zygote), Cletus (the Fetus), the Wombat, and the Prisoner.  A new contender might end up being "Hippo."  I finally got the courage to tell DH that I'm planning to use Hypnobabies to prepare for the childbirth when the time comes (he tends to scoff at stuff like that) -- he surprisingly took it very well, and has recently taken to picking on me by calling our future kid the "Hippobaby."  It's growing on me!

I'm determined not to share our future kids names until the day their born.  We've let a few of our top choices slip to close family, but in the last few months we finally settled on the top four girls and top four boys names we like (including middles).  It's gotten to the point that when we talk about our future kids we call them by name.  I do NOT want to hear negative feedback about any of these names from friends or family, and I definitely don't want someone to hear a name we've chosen and then decide that they like it so much they want to keep it for themselves.

I'm hoping that using a cute fake name, as well as not finding out the baby's sex, should help us get through the whole nine months without spilling the beans! 

Me - 28, DH - 29 partners.gif Lucky in love since 2003, happily married since 2010, stork-suprise.gif #1 due Dec. 2012

Looking forward to waterbirth.jpg, aabfwoman.gif, femalesling2.GIFdh_malesling.GIF,cd.gif and all the rest

#28 of 31 Old 04-04-2011, 09:48 AM

I think we decided we are going to use wolverine.

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

#29 of 31 Old 04-04-2011, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

DH and I decided to use Luna for this baby because s/he was conceived on the Supermoon! heartbeat.gif

#30 of 31 Old 04-04-2011, 02:23 PM

SierraBella: I follow a blogger who just gave birth to a baby girl she named Luna and that has been my secret nickname for my own Supermoon baby!

Publicly, the baby's name is either Minicorn (because everyone says my world is full of unicorns and rainbows, hence minicorn) or a hilarious hybrid of the first names of me and DH.

27. Married since December 2006. Trying to conceive #1 since November 2010. 1 loss in April 2011 (5 weeks). 

BFP on February 25th. Tentative due date: November 4th, 2012.

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***wool.gif40**

It's a girl! love.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page