The Whatever Ladies Graduate! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-22-2011, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OMGGG!! mw, I LOVE Aston!! Thats his name. Done deal. Convince your DH any way u have to!! That name is perfect!!!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2011, 07:04 AM

Yay on names! love Ava and Aston Sloan is lovely. Reminds me of that fancy car: Aston Martin (which isn't a bad thing. If it reminded me of a VW bug, another story :) )

I was using Desitin with a liner, but it didn't seem to do much for this rash, so I switched to Burt's bee's since it has some healing botanicals in it. It is helping, albeit slowly.

I am a little torn, because really, I could full time 'sposie diaper in size ones and maybe size 2's given the stash we already have left over from DS. But I really love my cloth! so do I get a few newborn cloth? and switch in and out at will? or just do like we did with DS and switch when he fit into medium  or o/s diapers? decisions! I don't know how big this baby will be, but DS was only 6lb14oz at birth, so size 1 doesn't really fit right away. I would need NB diapers of some sort.

I know Lyterae was the first Whatever to become pregnant (I think!) and she had her baby not long ago, I think right befor or around I got my BFP. (I know we were on the Family Planning list). I think JJ is the ony one to get a BFP since moving over here. so all of us got our BFP's within, say 9 or 10 months?

I know for my 1 hr test, I was fasting prior to drinking the Glucola. (with DS) Not looking forward to doing it again, but I passed it before, hopefully will again!

appointment Monday morning! finally should hear the HB.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Old 04-22-2011, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

OMGGG!! mw, I LOVE Aston!! Thats his name. Done deal. Convince your DH any way u have to!! That name is perfect!!!

That's how I feel. I woke up this morning just knowing that was this baby's name. I had come across Aston a while ago but didn't think it would work because it means Noble Stone. I thought my dh wouldn't go for that. I've been keeping Sloan around as a middle name, which means warrior. Then it occurred to me that a name meaning noble warrior would be very cool and my dh would definitely go for that. I don't see how he can say no.

Katrina ~ Exciting to get to hear baby's heartbeat. How far along will you be then?

I was trying to figure out the timeline in my head. I got pg in May 2009 but I think we still only had the CTA thread then. I got pg again in December 2009 but can't remember if we were still only in the CTA thread or if we had the Whatever thread going by then. I know that by July 2010 we were doing the Whatever thread. Hmm...I wonder if I could do a search for it and see how far back it goes.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 04-22-2011, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, yep. I just searched it and the first Whatever thread was started in June 2010 so you were right, Katrina. Only 9 or 10 months, I think.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 04-22-2011, 07:58 AM

I will be 17w5d. (by their calculations, 16w5d, but whatever)

I started an Amazon registry! only has 2 things on it so far, the extra car seat base we need and the double stroller I want. I have been tempted to do BRU and buybuybaby online, but you get gift bags and freebies when you register in store, so I will hold out until after we know pink or blue. Getting so excited, only 3 weeks and 3 days! DH is utterly convinced this is a girl. I honestly don't have a strong feeling either way, so not holding my breath. But I do so want to shop for girl stuff!

I need to go through clothes and stuff . . . think I will wait until after we find out, my decisions about what to keep will hinge on that I think. some things, like sleepers and sleep sacs I honestly don't care if they are pink, blue, or GN.

DS is at his Nana's today, which means I can work in peace, but I miss him already and he has only been gone an hour. the house is too quiet without him. When he was first born, I sat and worked on my laptop on the couch, and he slept next to me. I miss that. (now he plays, runs up and pinches me, and eventually falls asleep for his naps on the floor next to my desk. I really should get him a nap mat or something)

How is feeling, getting so close to the end for you ladies? I am just in shock I am already nearly halfway through. Carrie, will PM you FB

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Old 04-22-2011, 08:07 AM

oh: soft vs. molded - soft cup is just fabric of some sort, molded is like a thin foam, it helps provide structure. My Bravado Bliss is the molded sort, and one of the reasons I like it is because when leaks happen, so long as they are not the super gushy sort, often the molded/foam whatever will absorb a bit of the milk. I have had no issues pushing it down for access. The other kind, while nice for around the house, any little leakage immediately transfers from the fabric of the bra to my shirt. I often in later months forgot to wear nursing pads, so this was a bit of an issue.  I like having both kinds on hand. I will wait I think until my 9th month or so, and order fresh nursing bras. The ones I love are pure wore out. (side note, boobs are still tender, especially nipples. I really hope this doesn't last the whole pregnacy. DS was trying to climb into my lap yesterday and thought he was pinching my shirt for a hold spot to pull up on, and he pinched my nipple! granted, that normally wouldn't feel good, but with pregnancy, was very ouchy!)

Old 04-22-2011, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Katrina ~ You got me thinking about needing a changing table for downstairs so I did some internet searching. I decided I can either buy a changing table with drawers or baskets (which costs a little more) for downstairs and still use the dresser upstairs or I can use the dresser with drawers downstairs and get an open changing table for upstairs. Here's what I've found:

http://www.changingtablestore.com/baby-changing-tables/changing-table-dressers/southshoresweetmorningchangingtable.cfm

http://www.target.com/Badger-Basket-Changing-Table-Baskets/dp/B002HMC2A0/ref=sc_pd_gwvub_1_title This one is weird. It says there's no picture but if you look at the list of things that were bought just below it, the first one is a picture of the exact same thing. I don't know why you can't see it bigger. It was bigger on the page with all the different ones.

There are a bunch of changing open changing tables with just shelves for under $100. I didn't see any of these in the stores when I looked, which is why I originally wasn't considering buying a changing table. Everything in the stores was $300+.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:48 AM

Im feeling very pouty and feet stompy today! Wah, I want to breastfeed, damnit!!

/end pity party.

I woke up this morning feeling a bit swollen and puffy, mostly in my hands and face. Wth? What can I do besides lots of water? I think I really overdid it this week and thats why it happened, but still.

My bbs aren't sore anymore, but my nips!! Holy God. If dd moves the wrong way when I'm holding her I feel like shes going to rip them right off!! They are super ouchy, indeed. (And leaking!! Which I'm excited about bc either way, I'm nursing or donating milk so yay!)

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 04-25-2011, 07:23 AM

Carrie, yay! for either way. when do you get your DH's results back?

appointment went well. by the OB"s scale, I haven't gained any weight this pregnancy. she isn't bothered by it, so I am not either. Baby's HB was in the 150's. . . . which going by my mom would say boy . . .but we will know for sure in 3 weeks! my blood pressure was also fine, which is a good thing.

off to the park to enjoy this lovely weather!

Old 04-25-2011, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

katrina ~ Yay for a good appointment. Glad you got to hear baby's heartbeat. I thought low, 140 or less, was a boy and fast, 150 and above, was a girl. Or maybe it's below 150 is a boy and above 150 is a girl? Now I can't remember. My babe's has always been in the high 140s to low 150s, which had me thinking early on that it could be a girl. At any rate, I've since read that studies have shown absolutely no correlation between heart rate and gender.

I think dh and I finally agree on a name. DH said he could probably live with Astin Sloan. He wants to "mull it over" for a week but it sounded like this name will work. I really like the name but I'm a little worried that it sounds/looks kind of girlish. I think it's because I've seen the name Aster, which is a flower, used for a girl. If my dh tries to come back and say he doesn't like it, I'm going to tell him that's just too bad.

Where is JJ?

Old 04-25-2011, 11:17 AM

I'm here! Just kind of floating around. The sickness is still full force, so I'm pushing myself through the kind of bare minimum each day. I sleep, eat, work a bit, and lay on the couch trying not to move. 

Went and saw the dr last week about the ongoing spotting. She said she didn't even think it was actual blood, but cervical cells being sloughed off as the cervix moves. At any rate, it seems to have stopped completely since then. She wants me to make another appt for 10 weeks, as she thinks we'll be able to hear the hb then maybe. Still don't have a midwife. I have three groups to hear back from still. But I did ask for a referral to the one OB in the city I think I could work with. I did tell DH though that he should be praying I don't have to hospital birth because I'll be a nightmare, fighting everything every step of the way, and told him point blank I would not be signing a general consent. He actually seemed fired up with me, and supportive, which was really nice to hear. 

Trying to be productive today... the house is a wreck. We'll see how it goes!

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 04-25-2011, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post

Trying to be productive today... the house is a wreck. We'll see how it goes!

Glad to hear from you. I was getting a little worried so I stalked you and saw you had posted some other places yesterday or today and all seemed fine.

I know how it goes with trying to be productive. Saturday I just felt awful. I laid on the couch all day. My house was a wreck. I don't know why I felt so bad. The next day I felt great and had tons of energy. shrug.gif

Old 04-26-2011, 08:58 AM

Hey guys..... just got a pos.gif this morning---this time (unlike last) days before AF is due---I'm thinking this baby is our keeper! I'm mostly happy to know I just hogged down food like crazy, gained 6lbs and nearly outgrew my pants this past week for a VERY good reason!  joy.gif Wow, my first real ovulation after my month-long miscarriage. My baby's due on January 6th, 2012 joy.gif

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
Old 04-26-2011, 09:03 AM

JJ -  yay for good appointment!  glad everything is going well (or as well as can be expected)

MW: my house also is a wreck. I need that nesting thing to kick in super early, because as much as I hate looking at the mess, I can't seem to get the urge to clean it either. (DH tries . . . but gets distracted easily. Bless him, but it takes him forever to do things)

I posted on FB about it and got mixed answers, re: HB; some say boy, others girl. The only corroborative thing I have read is that boys chest cavities tend to be larger and therfore the heartrate is slower, and girls have smaller chest cavities and have faster heartrates. I do know, of all the various folk things, that the heart rate has been the one most often proved true IRL (for me anyway). DS about this time had a heart rate of 148-152.  by 20 weeks, it was 142. It pretty much stayed in the low 140's after that. We will see, in about 3 weeks, what is true!

It took her forever to find the heartbeat with the doppler though, baby was very low. which I think must mean that he or she is already head down, or is lying sideways. Baby isn't big enough for me to figure out by myself though, as the little kicks and punches pretty much all feel the same at this point.

Hope everyone is well!

Old 04-26-2011, 10:12 AM

Congratulations Kindermama! joy.gif

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

Old 04-26-2011, 10:59 AM

Kindermama, we must've cross-posted! I am so excited, this is great news! keep us posted on how it goes!

Old 04-26-2011, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Congratulations Kindermama! joy.gif

katrina ~ A friend of mine gave me a website that was keeping track of heart rates and gender to see if it could find a correlation. She also gave me a link to a scientific study that showed absolutely no correlation between heart rate and gender (Or maybe that study was linked from the other website.). I wish I still had the link to pass on to you. I could ask her for it again.

There was an interesting study that I read just recently that does show that boys are more often on the right side and girls are on the left side. My boy is definitely on my right side and has been there pretty much the entire time. I feel solidness on my right side and empty squishiness on my left. Even when he's transverse, he's still more on my right side. You probably don't remember but I had some sharp pains on my right side the day of or the day before I got my first BFP and I had been wondering if that was implantation.

I can tell now when he flips to vertical and transverse but I can't tell butt from head. I wish I could. I think most of the time he's head down because I feel the biggest and strongest movements higher up above my belly button and softer flutters down really low in my pelvis. DS2 tells me if I feel a round part and then my fingers sink in the middle, it's the butt crack. lol.gif

Old 04-26-2011, 12:13 PM

Congrats Kinder!! I've been wondering where you were, but I didn't want to push, I know it's been a difficult few weeks for you. Oh I'm so glad to have someone closer to me EDD in the thread! lol. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 04-26-2011, 12:51 PM

Kindermama: Congrats! love.gif

JJ: Glad you are doing o.k. Keep us posted on how things go in the midwife search.

MW: Funny you mention the study about boys staying on the right and girls staying on the left. Ava spends most of her time on my left side.

AFM: I am officially a grumpy 3rd trimester pregnant lady. I've had two people the past couple of days ask me if we are spelling Ava with an "A" when I tell them her name. It shouldn't annoy me but it does. irked.gif And I just don't feel good. It's hot here and it's making me dehydrated or something. I have felt off all day today and I am going to leave work early because I just can't do it anymore today. I tried to make myself feel better by drinking some gatorade and I ate a hamburger. But it's not helping. So I'm going to bed. Hopefully I will feel better by the time the kids get home at 5:30. I didn't feel well yesterday either and since I was the only one at home when I got off work, I got in bed at 5:30 and pretty much didn't get out for the rest of the night. I hope this passes soon because we have a lot of stuff to accomplish!

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Old 04-26-2011, 12:54 PM

LOL! DS was firmly in my right side (or at least his head was firmly in my right pelvic bone, right up to the end) I couldn't say with this one . . . I know the doppler was held very low - almost right above my pubic bone it felt like, and pretty much in the middle, to hear the heartbeat. With DS, the MW always found the heartbeat on my right side.

I think there really isn't a good way outside of US to tell the sex of the baby. I know the craving thing is pure baloney; I craved salty and sweet with DS. I don't crave anything in particular with this one, outside of really not being excited about chicken. How you carry I think has a lot more to do with the build of the mama than the sex of the baby, as well as how and where you gain weight. The two pregnancies have been pretty similiar also, so I can't go by that . . . guess I will just have to wait a couple more weeks!

Kinder, it is good to see you back, and so glad you were able to conceive so quickly!

Old 04-26-2011, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

I need to update the first post to add Kindermama. I'll do that asap (unless I forget by the time I finish posting, which I seem to do often.) redface.gif

Since I've had only boys I don't really have anything to make a difference comparison to. I don't remember which side my other boys were on. I don't recall that being something I paid attention to. The only reason I started thinking about it this time was because of that study I read. Early on whenever I or my MW tried to find this guy's heartbeat it was always low and on the right. A lot of times my MW couldn't get a strong enough beat long enough to count it. He does not like that doppler because he always moved away from it. I haven't used mine in weeks now because of that. I should probably try to sell it but I don't feel like dealing with that right now.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:34 PM

Yay, Kinder!!! joy.gif

DD2 & this baby have been mostly on the left, although this one has a tendency towards posterior, which I think DD1 mostly was.  For the HR thing, I've heard 140 is the "midpoint."  Consistently above is likely a girl, consistently below is likely a boy.  My girls have all been 150-160.  For me, the most reliable gender indicator has been whether or not I'm able to connect w/the baby when I think of it as a certain gender.  W/DD1, I knew she was a girl.  W/DD2, DH insisted she was a boy, and I just couldn't connect w/her when thinking of her as a boy.  After we found out she was a girl, I connected.  With this baby (DD3!) I noticed a difference in connection when thinking of her as a girl vs boy, but I didn't trust that b/c it just seemed unlikely to have another girl...I don't know if I'll trust it if we're blessed with more, but I'll certainly try to give it more credence.

Also, the not really into chicken thing?  I have that, too!  We butchered some of our chickens a couple of months ago & I just can't bring myself to get them out of the freezer.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

Old 04-26-2011, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMomma View Post

For the HR thing, I've heard 140 is the "midpoint."  Consistently above is likely a girl, consistently below is likely a boy.

That was what I remembered but wasn't sure. This boy's heart rate has consistently been in the high 140s (around 148) to the low 150s (maybe 152).

I have a hard time eating any meat when I'm pg. When I was pg with ds2, I went completely vegetarian toward the end. My only problem with eating vegetarian was that I never felt full or satisfied and I was always hungry very soon after eating. I'm still like that whenever I make a vegetarian meal now. Unless it's loaded with a lot of cheese I can't get full and am very hungry very soon after. I don't mind eating lots of cheese. I love cheese. But it's too high in fat calories to eat all the time.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Here's a link to some info about the studies that disproved a relationship between fetal heart rate and gender. There are links to the actual studies at the bottom.

http://www.in-gender.com/Gender-Prediction/Fetal-Heart-Rate.aspx

I also found this study that shows a relationship between placenta position and gender; http://www.obgyn.net/fetal-monitoring/fetal-monitoring.asp. It's a bit more technical but I think it's saying that right placental position is more likely for boys and left placental position is more likely for girls. It doesn't say anything about how that may correlate to baby's actual position.

If I remember correctly, this baby's placenta has been positioned pretty much center.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

I also found this study that shows a relationship between placenta position and gender; http://www.obgyn.net/fetal-monitoring/fetal-monitoring.asp. It's a bit more technical but I think it's saying that right placental position is more likely for boys and left placental position is more likely for girls. It doesn't say anything about how that may correlate to baby's actual position.

That would be opposite of what we were saying up thread, then, I think, b/c babies usually like to face the placenta...so a right placental position would lead to a baby on the left side, facing it (generally speaking), right?  lol.gif

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

Old 04-26-2011, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMomma View Post

That would be opposite of what we were saying up thread, then, I think, b/c babies usually like to face the placenta...so a right placental position would lead to a baby on the left side, facing it (generally speaking), right?  lol.gif

I have no idea. I've never heard or read anything one way or the other on that. That's not the same study I was talking about before. The study I read before was about the baby's position, not the placenta. I couldn't come up with any other search phrases to get what I was looking for.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:11 AM

It sure is fun to guess! I still really don't have a good gut feeling either way. I wish I did! I half want it to be a boy, just to prove DH wrong, which is silly. I do think the baby is lying transverse right now, I always feel the fluttery kicks to one side or the other (more on the left to be honest, which would mean the head is the right side), it would also explain why the baby seemed low to the OB.  I am just ready to find out!

The studies are interesting. I know with DS I had a posterior placenta, but not sure if it was more to one side than the other.

Shannon, at least I am not the only one! DH heated up some chicken wings last night. He was lucky I could even stay in the room! I think it is the smell of chicken cooking mostly. I can and will eat Chik-fil-a, but most other chicken-y things, I really would rather not. Still eat meat though. I want some ham. No one cooked one for Easter this year, I was dissapointed. and I do eat steak and ground beef, and fish . . .

I am glad I don't have to butcher chickens. DH's uncle has chickens, but I don't think he will ever butcher them, they are his egg laying pets.

Now, I could go for some chicken enchiladas, but those are buried in sauce and cheese, and just not at chicken-y.

You ladies in your 3rd trimester, have you got everything prepared, or is there still a laundry list of things to do?

Old 04-27-2011, 06:34 AM

Been away for a few days but I'm going to try to catch up! Sorry if I miss anyone!!

According to some sites, I'll be in the 3rd tri next week.  WTH!?  Still have a laundry list of things that need to get done.  We shall see.  But I *am* feeling more and more ready for this baby.  Like it's a reality and not a hypothetical!

Congratulations to KINDER!!  Much love to you and I hope and pray and KNOW this will be a sticky baby for you!  I hope you feel wonderful and am wishing you a very H&H 9 months!!  Yay!!  So excited to hear this news!! love.gif

JJ - interesting about the spotting.  Either way, glad it stopped.  I'm sorry you feel so pukey - that is the WORST.  I hope it is short lived for you!!  Ugh, I felt miserable with that this pg and wouldn't wish morning sickness on anyone!!  

Annie - Hugs!  That would piss me off about the name, too!  Maybe that's another reason we don't share names, lol (even though I'm dying to, I wish I didn't feel so protective of this LOs name.)

AFM - So, all that swelling I was having went down pretty much completely by midday Sunday, but I was in touch with my mw.  She asked a ton of questions, and I answered them all.  It wasn't pitting edema, went away when I rested, wasn't noticeable to anyone but me and my bp was fine.  She wrote back that I was "really on it!" lol!  She suggested nettle tea and lots of protein, so I'm going to kill myself with both in the next few days.  I stopped taking the yellow dock though, and wonder if there's a connection.  I'll start back up with it today and see what's what.

No news yet on Chris's blood. greensad.gif

Old 04-27-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

You ladies in your 3rd trimester, have you got everything prepared, or is there still a laundry list of things to do?

biglaugh.gif

Ummmmmm.....Nothing is prepared! I'm going to my sister's house this weekend and I'll be going through my 2 yr old niece's clothes to pick out what I want to use for newborn, 0-3 and 3-6 months. Then I will need to wash all of that. My first baby shower is the third weekend in May so I figure I will have a lot of stuff to wash then. Haven't bought the crib yet and that probably won't happen until mid-June just because I don't want to drag all the kids to IKEA and the first free weekend to go up (it's about 2 hrs away) will be in June. But I'm not super stressed. If baby shows up before we have the crib, I have a cradle for her to sleep in and she can just share our bed too. I have a carseat that I keep around for my 1 yr old goddaughter so I could use that if no one gets the ones that we registered for. The only thing that I haven't bought yet that is stressing me out is my newborn and small GMD pre-folds. I'd like to get them soon and start prepping them but I need to wait on that too so we have money in the budget. I also need to find about 3 more newborn covers.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Old 04-27-2011, 07:13 AM

I love Ikea! the closest one for us is about an hour and a half away. We go entirely too often, even if all we get are cinnamon rolls on the way out, it is so worth it!

Carrie, I know some people are secretive with names, and that is fine, we will know eventually! I am sure it is perfect, whatever you choose.

Honestly, there is nothing I probably *need* for the new baby . . .other than an extra base for the carseat. but the list of wants! LOL! alot depends on if the baby is pink or blue. which is why I am probably so ready to find out what he or she is. I am trying to be patient.

oh, and we are 18 weeks today!

User Tag List