The Whatever Ladies Graduate! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#361 of 407 Old 04-28-2011, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post

otherwise there's likely a layer of PUL inside, I would think. 

There isn't any PUL in the minky covered dipes I bought.

Since you brought up mama cloth, I've got a question about PP cloth. If I have a dozen large cloth pads, do I also need some PP pads? If so, how many would I need? I really don't want to spend the money on something I'm only going to use once. I don't have heavy menses so I wouldn't need anything so large and thick after the lochia is done. I've almost ordered some from a couple of co-ops but it ended up seeming too expensive.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#362 of 407 Old 04-29-2011, 05:27 AM

I have no idea as I don't use cloth for that. Were your previous lochia heavy? mine with DS was not, though it lasted 4 weeks. (granted, I do not know if lochia post c/s is different than post vaginal birth). If you think it wouldn't be any heavier than your regular cycle, could you use the pads you have?

DS has hid my stethoscope so I couldn't try to listen to the baby again. I am sure it will turn up somewhere, but he is a little monkey sometimes! no clue where it could be -

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#363 of 407 Old 04-29-2011, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

I have no idea as I don't use cloth for that. Were your previous lochia heavy? mine with DS was not, though it lasted 4 weeks. (granted, I do not know if lochia post c/s is different than post vaginal birth). If you think it wouldn't be any heavier than your regular cycle, could you use the pads you have?

I don't really remember my lochia being extremely heavy. I do think it was heavier and definitely lasted longer after my c-section than my vaginal births. I was hoping I could just use the pads I have. They are really larger than what I actually need for my regular menses. The birth kit my MW has put together contains a package of disposable pads. I was kind of hoping I could customize my birth kit and take some stuff out that I won't need because I either still have them from my previous homebirth or I just don't need them (like yet another digital thermometer). The pads would be one thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

DS has hid my stethoscope so I couldn't try to listen to the baby again. I am sure it will turn up somewhere, but he is a little monkey sometimes! no clue where it could be

Hehe. I know how that goes. I am forever searching for things that my boys have taken and put somewhere else.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#364 of 407 Old 04-29-2011, 09:05 AM

So I just got checked and I'm already 3 cm dilated and 80% effaced at 35 weeks. I'm not sure if that's good news or bad news. Can I make it a couple more weeks being already that far?

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#365 of 407 Old 04-29-2011, 09:16 AM

BFS: wow, all that progress already! I would think so, but really I think it is hard to know exactly what that means as far as when you will go into labor. The only positive thing I can recall about cervical checks prior to labor is to determine a Bishop score (think I remember the name right) to gauge readiness for induction, or at least the possibility of a successful induction.

MW: I say see if you can customize your birthkit; I see no reason to purchase unnecessary duplicates of things. Anyway you can save money is great!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#366 of 407 Old 04-29-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootScientist View Post

So I just got checked and I'm already 3 cm dilated and 80% effaced at 35 weeks. I'm not sure if that's good news or bad news. Can I make it a couple more weeks being already that far?

It's possible you could walk around like that for a number of weeks. It could also go the other way around. A coworker's SIL was checked in the morning at her 40 week appointment and she was not dilated at all and only 50% effaced. She went in to labor at 5 PM that afternoon and had the baby at 8 PM that night. So things can change quickly or slowly.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#367 of 407 Old 04-29-2011, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

It's possible you could walk around like that for a number of weeks. It could also go the other way around. A coworker's SIL was checked in the morning at her 40 week appointment and she was not dilated at all and only 50% effaced. She went in to labor at 5 PM that afternoon and had the baby at 8 PM that night. So things can change quickly or slowly.

yeahthat.gif

I've known women who've been dilated a few centimeters for weeks before going into labor. I don't know about the effaced part. I wouldn't check anymore, if I were you. I wouldn't want to accidentally pull the amniotic sac away from the cervix any and make things go faster than they would otherwise. I don't know how likely that is but that's one technique HCPs use (stripping membranes) to try to get labor started.

#368 of 407 Old 04-29-2011, 01:51 PM

BFS: Definately, you could go several weeks longer. The trouble with vaginal checks is that all they tell you is the information right at that moment. It doesn't tell you where you're going to be the next day, or the next week, or even the next hour. It can be frustrating that way as well. I've had doula clients who were checked and would be say 2cm, and then two hours later screaming that they wanted to push but the nurses wouldn't listen, because they automatically think "Well she was only at 2 two hours ago, she can't be ready yet". But it doesn't work like that, obviously...

I would take it a bit easy for the next few weeks, and then once you get to your 'safe point', whatever that is for you, start in with some moderate exercise again, walking, and just staying active. 

MW:  That's very weird. I've honestly never seen Minkee dipes without PUL in them, that need a cover. So I suppose you would need to put longies over them then. 

For pp pads, I'm not sure. I have a very light flow normally, so what I was thinking, was to order a few of the 'heavy' pads from the girl I already bought from, for once the flow slows down a bit. And then before that, I think I'm going to buy depends or whichever. I've heard a lot of people say for the heavier bleeding that was more comfortable, because you weren't woprried about it getting on your underwear, and there's not as much movement or slippage worry. We'll see as I get closer though I suppose. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#369 of 407 Old 04-29-2011, 02:16 PM

Hi ladies. Just got back from my follow-up ultrasound. The dr wanted to see me again after my 22 week scan because Ava was measuring about 5 days behind so he just wanted to keep an eye on things since I had a borderline low PAPP-A level at my 13 week blood draw. Baby looks great but she's still measuring behind, now about a week, and he detected resistance in the bloodflow between the placenta and the baby. He said that could be a problem if the resistance gets strong enough that the baby starts diverting bloodflow to the brain but he didn't see any evidence of that right now. He wants me to come back in four weeks to check on her again. If the resistance has gotten stronger at that point, we'll have to make a decision about how long Ava should stay inside. He said ideally, he would like to get me to 34 weeks before considering to take her but if she's not getting enough bloodflow, it will be safer for her outside. So that's kind of scary but he said it was great to see how active she is and that in the meantime, if I notice anything strange or funky to let my regular OB know ASAP.

We were able to get some great 3D shots of her this time and see her tiny little face! My husband and all four stepkids all have a dimple in their chin and it looks like Ava has the same chin!

baby4.jpg

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#370 of 407 Old 04-29-2011, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Annie ~ Cool pic. Love the dimple! I hope things will be ok with Ava. Sounds like you are well taken care of.

JJ ~ Is the Minkee you are talking about a brand or just a type of material? The minky I'm talking about was one of the choices of fabric for the outside of the diapers I ordered. It's really soft like velour with bright colors. I think it's the last pic of dipes I posted. The 3 larger OS ones. I just went to see if I could get more info and I think I might have gotten them confused with something else. The store says they are hand-dyed organic cotton velour. I don't know where I got minky from. shrug.gif

#371 of 407 Old 04-29-2011, 03:23 PM

What a cute picture!

No, the minkee is indeed the fabric. I've just always seen it as an outside layer, and since it's so soft and 'pretty', they usually put PUL inside so that you don't need to cover it up. I think velour has a similar feel, it's just not quite as plush as the minkee. I think the minkee (when I've see it anyways) has a longer nap. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#372 of 407 Old 04-29-2011, 03:50 PM

Thanks for the thoughts ladies. I have always heard that you "could" walk around dilated for weeks, as a way of telling people at 38 weeks not to get their hopes up, but I'm hoping for the other way around because it is too early. I don't know how much I should worry, if at all. The 80% effaced surprised me too. Ah well. I think I'm going to cut DH off innocent.gif and stop exercising for a week or two just to be safe. It was my family doctor who checked me. I went there today to get my GBS test and asked her to check. She's not my primary provider - I have a homebirth midwife and all she said was it doesn't really mean anything and to stay hydrated and keep eating well.

I also only measured 31 cm...could there be that much of a difference between people measuring I wonder? Last time with my midwife at 34 weeks, I measured 32 cm, before that I was always right on the number of weeks. Or maybe it has to do with the baby changing position or dropping lower?

I just would prefer not to go into labor in the next two weeks because it's too early and I would have to go to the hospital instead of having my homebirth. Not to mention I am not ready! lol.gif But I am probably reading too much into it. Maybe I shouldn't have gotten checked at all. But on the other hand, if dialing back my activity might help keep the baby in longer, then it is good that I got checked.

Mehhh...stay in until at least the 8th baby! fingersx.gif

#373 of 407 Old 04-29-2011, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

[quote name="jeninejessica" url="/community/forum/thread/1305135/the-whatever-ladies-graduate/360#post_16417844No, the minkee is indeed the fabric. I've just always seen it as an outside layer, and since it's so soft and 'pretty', they usually put PUL inside so that you don't need to cover it up. I think velour has a similar feel, it's just not quite as plush as the minkee. I think the minkee (when I've see it anyways) has a longer nap.[/quote]

I buy the pretty diapers for me. Most other people don't see them unless they are at my home. I always cover them up when we go out. I look at the plain, basic diapers and I always think I should get them because they cost less but I just can't. I like the cute prints and pretty colors. I'm addicted to the hyena diapers the same way I'm addicted to hand dyed yarn. As much as I try to buy yarn from my LYS or the local craft store, I rarely do it because it just doesn't compare. I'm a yarn and diaper snob, I guess. bag.gif I saw some other minkee diapers on HC that need a cover so they are made without PUL.

BFS ~ Did you go into labor early with your 1st? I won't say not to worry at all because that's impossible once you know something like that. But, as your MW said, it doesn't mean anything wrt when you will go into labor.

I think that fundal height measurements are very subjective just like u/s measurements. No offense to your FP but she may not be as experienced at measuring fundal height or checking dilation and effacement as a MW or OB so she could be off on both.

WRT JJ's comment about someone going from 2 cm to ready to push in 2 hours and not being taken seriously, I can attest to the fact that that can happen. When I was in labor with ds2, I had the nurse check me after 10 hours of induced labor because the contractions were excruciating. I thought she'd tell me I was almost completely dilated and I was hoping that would help me get through it without an epi. To the contrary, she said I was only 2-3 cm dilated. I got an epi and 2 hours later I was fully dilated and pushed ds2 out.

One thing I really loved about my homebirth was that my cervix was never checked throughout my entire pg or my labor. My MW liked to joke that she loved that she could provide prenatal care for a woman without every seeing her vagina. I just pushed when I felt ready. I think I posted before about how it wasn't a conscience thing, either. My body just started pushing on it's own without any strain or drama or anything.

#374 of 407 Old 04-29-2011, 04:30 PM

BFS: I think yes, and yes.  winky.gif  There certainly can be a difference in measurements between providers, and even the same provider might not measure the same every time...the end points can be kind of arbitrary.  Or the baby could have moved (or even dropped).  Does your family doc do lots of births?  If she doesn't do a bunch, I wonder how accurate her check is?

Annie: Sweet pic!  Thanks for sharing!  

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#375 of 407 Old 04-29-2011, 04:31 PM

Annie--sweet pic!!! Ava's so sweet

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#376 of 407 Old 04-29-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

BFS ~ Did you go into labor early with your 1st? I won't say not to worry at all because that's impossible once you know something like that. But, as your MW said, it doesn't mean anything wrt when you will go into labor.

37 weeks.

I do feel like the baby has dropped, though I'm not sure what I am supposed to feel. It feels and looks lower to me, and when I stand at the kitchen sink, before I could kind of rest my belly on the counter when I washed dishes lol.gif and now I can't so...yeah. I never remember noticing it dropping last time. But dropping means engaged right? Would they then still be able to roll around back and forth? Cuz the babe is definitely still doing that.

I don't know, I'm just confused. Oh well, whatever happens happens! If I go early and end up in the hospital, things will most likely be fine this late in the game.

#377 of 407 Old 04-29-2011, 07:36 PM

Oooh BFS!  I'm sure you can last a few more weeks where you are.  Are you feeling ctxs?  I mean, hell, if I could walk around in early labor and not realize it, and NOT realize labor was going on until it was well underway, I'd take it!  But I hear you wanting to cook a bit longer.

Annie - Ava is a dream! I either forgot or completely missed all the issues you mention.  That is some pretty scary stuff, but I agree with MW that you are indeed in capable hands.  I hope there are no further issues and the little miss can stay put and cook til term.

re: PP bleeding, I do depends and disposable pads.  I can't get into mama cloth, even for postpartum.  So I'm no help there!

AFM - I'm reading a fantastic book about a midwife's journey.  It's retelling of births she's attended and her experiences with laboring mamas, and with OBs and what not and man.  I'm cracking up and crying left and right!!  Here is the book if anyone wants just a good, feel-good, fun and interesting book to read:

http://www.amazon.com/Ladys-Hands-Lions-Heart-Midwifes/dp/0615195504

I needed something to snap me out of my funk.  I've just been in such a mood lately about birth and how I'm soooo not ready to do this again.  And scared that I won't be able to handle it.  Reading this (and not getting caught up in my own head and worrying about my own journey) is just refreshing.  I'm so, so tired of trying to figure out what I'm going to do and how I'm going to get through it.  I'll just do it.  It'll just happen.  It'll all be ok.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#378 of 407 Old 04-29-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:

I buy the pretty diapers for me. Most other people don't see them unless they are at my home. I always cover them up when we go out. I look at the plain, basic diapers and I always think I should get them because they cost less but I just can't. I like the cute prints and pretty colors. I'm addicted to the hyena diapers the same way I'm addicted to hand dyed yarn. As much as I try to buy yarn from my LYS or the local craft store, I rarely do it because it just doesn't compare. I'm a yarn and diaper snob, I guess. bag.gif I saw some other minkee diapers on HC that need a cover so they are made without PUL.

I'm that way too. I have all colorful (no prints though) pocket diapers. I kept trying to convince myself to buy fitteds with covers, since they're more universal and cost effective, but I couldn't find any covers that were as cute, without going to even more expensive wool. And I couldn't stand the plain white boring covers. 

#379 of 407 Old 04-30-2011, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

37 weeks.

I do feel like the baby has dropped, though I'm not sure what I am supposed to feel. It feels and looks lower to me, and when I stand at the kitchen sink, before I could kind of rest my belly on the counter when I washed dishes lol.gif and now I can't so...yeah. I never remember noticing it dropping last time. But dropping means engaged right? Would they then still be able to roll around back and forth? Cuz the babe is definitely still doing that.

I don't know, I'm just confused. Oh well, whatever happens happens! If I go early and end up in the hospital, things will most likely be fine this late in the game.

Well, then, it could mean something. But then again, maybe not. I have 2 friends who had their first babies early so they fully expected their subsequent babies to come early, too. Then there they were left feeling very anxious because they went 40 weeks or more and still no 2nd baby.

I think baby can drop in stages before becoming fully engaged. I don't think it's all that unusual for baby to be lower a month or so before full term.

Yeah, I think if you did have baby now everything would be fine. You are far enough along that it's pretty safe for a hospital birth. Shoot, MovingMomma says our MW will do a homebirth as early as 36w. How far do you have to be according to your MW and your comfort zone to have your homebirth?

Did I tell you guys that it's almost certain that my dh will not be able to come home for the birth? He said he's asked and been told they will do what they can but not to expect it. Apparently, that time is the busiest time politically for where he is and what he's doing and he has a crucial role in it all. I knew it was a long shot but I was still hopeful.

I woke up this morning freaking out that I haven't started reading my Hypnobirthing book yet. I still don't have it back and now I'm getting mad. I read a thread yesterday in my DDC about Hypnobabies. Everyone on the thread was talking about how well they are sleeping while I'm tossing and turning, up 3-4 times a night and exhausted all day. I think I might just get that instead, although I don't know how I'll ever find any quiet time to listen to the CDs and practice the meditations. Even if it only helps me sleep now and does nothing for labor it will be worth it.

#380 of 407 Old 04-30-2011, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post I think I might just get that instead, although I don't know how I'll ever find any quiet time to listen to the CDs and practice the meditations. Even if it only helps me sleep now and does nothing for labor it will be worth it.

While it didn't work for my labor with DD, this is really the one big reason why I don't regret spending the money and doing all the work with the hypnobabies self study.  I had the most blissful and mentally calm pregnancy.  I slept WONDERFULLY.  My bubble of peace was amazing, and I had nothing but positive thoughts about the baby, my body, and birth.  Totally worth it to me, regardless of how it worked during labor!  Go for it.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#381 of 407 Old 04-30-2011, 06:12 AM

Carrie - sounds like a good book!

I like the part about already having some of the work of labor done without knowing it. I definitely won't complain about that! winky.gif Maybe it will make for a faster (not too fast tho please!) and easier birth.

I emailed my midwife and she told me that second babies can actually drop and then come back up again a couple times. So that's interesting. I didn't know that.

With my history (healthy baby at 37 weeks) my midwife said she'd probably be willing to do a homebirth anytime after 36 weeks or so. My comfort zone is closer to 36.5 weeks. I kind of have Mother's Day in my head as the cut-off date. That's about 36.5 weeks. The home visit is next Friday.

I don't have really have much to add to the mama cloth conversation, but I will say that I LOVE my big thick long cloth pads that I have for overnights (they are the GladRags overnights), and I also love cloth pads as light day/pantiliners. For heavy flow I do prefer disposables. Last time after birth I was in the hospital so the really heavy bleeding was done by the time I got home to use my cloth pads, but I did use a combo of cloth and disposable. I have some GladRags, which I like (especially the long ones as I mentioned), and I tried to make my own and didn't really do a good job. lol.gif I was looking at Luna Panties the other day and thinking something like that might be versatile and good for this copious pregnancy discharge, though it probably wouldn't be the best for PP cloth.

#382 of 407 Old 04-30-2011, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

While it didn't work for my labor with DD, this is really the one big reason why I don't regret spending the money and doing all the work with the hypnobabies self study.  I had the most blissful and mentally calm pregnancy.  I slept WONDERFULLY.  My bubble of peace was amazing, and I had nothing but positive thoughts about the baby, my body, and birth.  Totally worth it to me, regardless of how it worked during labor!  Go for it.

I just looked up the price again and I just don't see that it's worth $145. If this were my first pregnancy, it might be but I don't need all the extra info about nutrition and pregnancy and how labor works and all that blah, blah, blah. I just want a book/workbook and possibly a CD on self-hypnosis. I sent an email asking if I could just get that. I didn't see anywhere that either of those were sold separately. They do have individual CDs but none of them seemed to cover the actual labor hypnosis.

Also, there's a big difference in life (usually) with a first pregnancy vs. subsequent ones. I don't think one can really compare the experiences. When I was pg with ds1, the only person I had to worry about or take care of was myself. I could sleep when I wanted, eat what and when I wanted. I didn't have to get LOs in baths or make sure they brushed their teeth or have clean clothes or have food constantly available for their bottomless pit bellies and all of that other stuff. My time is not my own anymore so it's not surprising that I'd be more tired now. Then there's my age. There is definitely a difference between being pg in your 20s vs. your 40s.

Anyway, I think that if I spend any more money, it will just be on another Hypnobirthing book. I can get that for a few bucks at the local B&N.

#383 of 407 Old 04-30-2011, 11:35 AM

Blah blah blah blah blah. 

This is my immense pout day. I've received denial letters based on them being full at 3 out of the 4 midwife groups. And I can't get ahold of the third one. I called the original group back (their receptionist is the only one remotely helpful) and she said none of the groups do waitlists, but that my best option would be to call every month and see if anything has opened up. 

So basically, I'm hoping someone else loses their baby, or risks out. How horrible is that. 

AND my first pick OB is full too. 

I'm so... angry. The thought of having a hospital birth just isn't jiving in my head. I can't reconcile that with what I want for my birth. And I'm already dreading all of the fights I have ahead of me, for silly things like not wanting to stay three days, or not wanting an IV, just in case... 

ugh. 

#384 of 407 Old 04-30-2011, 03:10 PM

Ugh, JJ I'm angry FOR you.  I don't know what I would do.  I hope you get "lucky" in that a spot opens up, but I agree, who wants to wish and hope for someone else's loss?  Tough spot to be in.  Well, there's one midwife left, right?  Maybe that's the winner?

If not, breathe.  It'll be okay.  While obviously NOT the same as homebirth, it's possible to have a WONDERFUL birth experience in a hospital.  I know many people are anti-hospital, but IRL I know a handful of women who were educated, birthed into hospitals, advocated for themselves, didn't have to fight a single battle and were totally and completely happy with their experiences.  Hugs though.  I'm still scared I'll risk out of homebirth, and it frightens me and I'm working through a lot of the same fears/thoughts you probably are.  

MW - I hear you.  I do.  You're right on the fact that it's just DIFFERENT with being older and having other kids to watch.  If I still had my kit, I have no idea when I would find the time to do the work.  It would be hard, for sure.  I'm so busy too with dinner, bath, bed, attending to DH *ahem*, catching up on housework.  I wish I could be one of those women who kept so busy that they labor while doing dishes and cooking, squat and push out the baby, and then go right back to work.  Haha!  Those women inspire me!!

#385 of 407 Old 04-30-2011, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I wish I could be one of those women who kept so busy that they labor while doing dishes and cooking, squat and push out the baby, and then go right back to work.  Haha!  Those women inspire me!!

Are there really women like that anywhere? lol.gif

JJ ~ That really stinks. It is true that, although maybe not ideal, a hospital doesn't have to be horrible. Neither of mine really were. If it comes to that, try to find a HCP who is supportive and hire a doula.

I have felt so tired all day. I thought I slept pretty well last night. I didn't get up until about 8. I think maybe being told my iron is low has made it worse, like some sort of mind game. I wish I had someone to take care of me.

I'm returning all the clothes I ordered from Target. All of them are weird looking. I think now is not the time for me to try to buy stuff like that. I'm so indecisive about everything.

If the cost didn't matter, which one of these would any of you buy?

http://www.target.com/Badger-Basket-Changing-Table-Baskets/dp/B002HMC2AA/ref=sc_pd_gwvub_2_title

http://www.changingtablestore.com/baby-changing-tables/changing-table-dressers/southshoresweetmorningchangingtable.cfm

There's not even a $30 difference so the cost doesn't really matter. I just can't make up my mind about which one would work better. I like the 2nd one better, I think, except that I'm not sure it has enough drawers/baskets. The 1st one looks like it might hold more but is maybe not as sturdy or good quality. The weight limit is lower.

#386 of 407 Old 04-30-2011, 04:27 PM

JJ, that's ridiculous that everyone's already filled up! How annoying! I really hope you can get on with a respectful, wonderful provider, even if you have to be in a hospital. hug2.gif

Well, TMI but I'm having serious diarrhea now. Which I haven't had all pregnancy so I either caught a bug or something or my body thinks it's getting close to time to evacuate this little one. Or (hopefully) it's just one of those things. I am not ready! But between this and everything else in the last few days I am wondering if I will end up with a slightly early kiddo.

Prepare for more TMI. Hey, we're the whatever ladies so I think we can take it...for those of you who've had babies, what does your mucus plug look like? I never remember it with DS but I maybe just don't pay attention. I have been really "mucusy" all through this pregnancy and so I've been wearing cloth pads, and now that I think about it, there has been once or twice recently where I've sat down on the toilet and just absentmindedly wiped a big glob of snotty stuff off my pad with a bit of toilet paper. Is that part of my plug or is it usually more substantial? Like I said, I've had mucus all through, but TYPICALLY not in globs...

Any suggestions with what I should busy myself with to prepare for an early birth if that turns out to be the case? Distractions needed... innocent.gif

#387 of 407 Old 04-30-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I wish I could be one of those women who kept so busy that they labor while doing dishes and cooking, squat and push out the baby, and then go right back to work.  Haha!  Those women inspire me!!

Are there really women like that anywhere? lol.gif

JJ ~ That really stinks. It is true that, although maybe not ideal, a hospital doesn't have to be horrible. Neither of mine really were. If it comes to that, try to find a HCP who is supportive and hire a doula.

I have felt so tired all day. I thought I slept pretty well last night. I didn't get up until about 8. I think maybe being told my iron is low has made it worse, like some sort of mind game. I wish I had someone to take care of me.

I'm returning all the clothes I ordered from Target. All of them are weird looking. I think now is not the time for me to try to buy stuff like that. I'm so indecisive about everything.

If the cost didn't matter, which one of these would any of you buy?

http://www.target.com/Badger-Basket-Changing-Table-Baskets/dp/B002HMC2AA/ref=sc_pd_gwvub_2_title

http://www.changingtablestore.com/baby-changing-tables/changing-table-dressers/southshoresweetmorningchangingtable.cfm

There's not even a $30 difference so the cost doesn't really matter. I just can't make up my mind about which one would work better. I like the 2nd one better, I think, except that I'm not sure it has enough drawers/baskets. The 1st one looks like it might hold more but is maybe not as sturdy or good quality. The weight limit is lower.

I like the 2nd table better, in terms of longevity you would probably get more use out of it.  I could see using that as an additional dresser or something, whereas the one with the bins is nice and accessible, but long term would probably not get as much use.

And I (also) hate all my clothes lately. I refuse to buy anything else though.  Oh, I Iied, I bought maternity scrubs for work b/c I'm just feeling like an uncomfortable whale when I work.  My shirt is too short, my pants are too tight.  I'm a hot mess.  I hope the scrubs are cute and comfortable -- and help me feel more like my old self.  They should come this week.

I have to talk mat leave with my boss soon and idk what to say.  I'm leaving, don't know if I'm coming back, but if I do I only want to work every other saturday and only if there's clients?  Would you want me back if you were my boss?  LOL!

Quote:

JJ, that's ridiculous that everyone's already filled up! How annoying! I really hope you can get on with a respectful, wonderful provider, even if you have to be in a hospital. hug2.gif

Well, TMI but I'm having serious diarrhea now. Which I haven't had all pregnancy so I either caught a bug or something or my body thinks it's getting close to time to evacuate this little one. Or (hopefully) it's just one of those things. I am not ready! But between this and everything else in the last few days I am wondering if I will end up with a slightly early kiddo.

Prepare for more TMI. Hey, we're the whatever ladies so I think we can take it...for those of you who've had babies, what does your mucus plug look like? I never remember it with DS but I maybe just don't pay attention. I have been really "mucusy" all through this pregnancy and so I've been wearing cloth pads, and now that I think about it, there has been once or twice recently where I've sat down on the toilet and just absentmindedly wiped a big glob of snotty stuff off my pad with a bit of toilet paper. Is that part of my plug or is it usually more substantial? Like I said, I've had mucus all through, but TYPICALLY not in globs...

Any suggestions with what I should busy myself with to prepare for an early birth if that turns out to be the case? Distractions needed... innocent.gif

Ooh I wish I could help!  I didn't lose my plug until I was well into labor with DD.  My best friend recently gave birth and lost her plug before though, and she said it was like a big pink glob in the toilet.  She ended up having her baby within a few days (maybe not what you want to hear) but in truth, the plug regenerates, and you can lose many plugs before actually going into labor.

#388 of 407 Old 04-30-2011, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

BFS ~ I did lose my plug a few hours (maybe 6) before I started having serious contractions with ds3. I remember calling my MW around 5 or 6 pm to tell her I thought I was losing my mucous plug. She told me that it could mean I'd go into labor very soon but it still could be a few days. I think my contractions became obvious around midnight. Anyway, it was globby and snotty and pinkish/reddish like what I imagined bloody show would look. Have you called your MW about it?

I've been having a lot of mucous lately, too. Every once in a while I do wipe a good glob off myself after using the toilet. I don't think I've had any globs in my panties, though, and I don't feel the need to wear a pad.

Carrie ~ In one of the reviews I read for the first one with just the baskets, someone said they planned to use the baskets for toys after being done with the changing table. I could definitely use some more bins/baskets for toys so I think I could get a lot of use out of that one. But at least one of the reviews on that one wasn't good. The person thought it was cheap material, particle board, and not very sturdy. Of course, I would expect particle board rather than solid wood from somewhere like Target. It is a large discount store, after all.

I don't think the other one comes with the baskets on the top shelf in the picture. I couldn't find anything in the description saying the baskets came with it and there's at least one pic of it without the baskets. Ugh, see. I just can't make up my mind. I keep coming up with different pros and cons for each thing.

I know how it is with HCPs getting full fast. I went to the OB clinic at the military hospital to see if I could get in there if I switched to Prime insurance, which gives first dibs on access to the military clinics. I was told they were already full for July 2011. Since I'm due at the end of the month I was SOL. They take people on a first come, first serve basis so those who are due in the first part of the months get in and those due later in any month get referred out. I know the only 2 OB practices in town. There was no way I was going to risk getting stuck with one of them for an entire year before I could switch back.

#389 of 407 Old 04-30-2011, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

BFS ~ Here's one link to info about losing your mucous plug. It gives a good description of it. It also says that even if your cervix is already dilated some, you may not actually go into labor for weeks after losing your mucous plug. It says no cause for concern unless it's bloody and you are earlier than 36w.

http://www.justmommies.com/articles/mucous-plug.shtml

#390 of 407 Old 04-30-2011, 08:13 PM

Thanks MW. It wasn't bloody and even after reading the description, I'm unsure if it WAS mucus plug or just extra "stuff." Probably just extra stuff.

I'll keep ya'll updated. winky.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page