The Whatever Ladies Graduate! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 407 Old 03-29-2011, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, what a reunion! joy.gif Lyterae, OMG, your baby is so cute! I don't know how well I'm going to be able to keep up with this thread though...it moves almost as fast as the whatever and charting threads themselves used to!

MW, I guess if I were you I'd try to be as prepared as possible for either due date being right. One thing I kind of wonder is if the whole "40 weeks" thing is actually not as accurate as we think (well of course it isn't LOL) because of the whole assuming women ovulate on day 14 thing. It seems like that could skew the average somewhat, since a lot of women ovulate later than that. And of course we know that 40 weeks is not the true average and only a medical convention anyway...so yeah who knows.

As far as prefolds, I did EC so it's a little different, but DS was 6 pounds at birth and I used Indian prefolds in the preemie size for the first little bit. I like them a lot better than Chinese prefolds. I just used them without a cover, with a Snappi. And BabyCakes, they didn't leak in the newborn stage. When DS got older, like maybe over 6 months, if I put just a prefold on him and he peed in it, it would often leak, but as a newborn, you could tell it was wet but there was no waterfall. wink1.gif I do think I used disposables at night for the newborn stage though. As somebody else said, I think the draw of prefolds for a newborn is the cheapness, especially if you are planning to switch to some other system, like pockets. My diaper stash this time is probably too big innocent.gif - I have prefolds in preemie and infant sizes, a few covers in small and medium sizes, then an assortment of random pocket and AIOs and then I think 9 BG OS for when he/she gets a little bigger. I'm also trying out some small fitteds, they are coming in the mail!

I am getting excited to have a baby! joy.gif I was a little overwhelmed last week, but I went on a huge shopping spree LOL and have started getting things ready. 6 weeks until I'm "full-term!" My MW said she would probably do a homebirth as early as 36 weeks if I was comfortable with it so that's only 5 weeks - coming up fast! I hope I don't go quite that early but I am expecting to go early (DS was 37 weeks 2 days according to "my" due date).

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#62 of 407 Old 03-29-2011, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

lyeterae! ~ Yay! I'm glad you posted here. I was hoping you would. Your baby is just adorable. If you want to tell me, I'll put his birth date on the front page.

I never had any problems with my PFs leaking without a cover. But, like I said, I didn't do that until babes were toddlers, definitely over a year and eating solids, so poo wasn't really runny anymore. Pee never leaked out. They are very absorbent.

That bikini twist was the one that didn't work so well for me. It was fine for pee but not for poo. It was good for doing a quick and easy change, though. I think the fold I use most often is maybe the angel wing or something like that. It's the one where you fold the sides in toward the front then fold the front down a bit if the dipe is long enough, lift the front up, wrap the back sides around and fasten to the front. That worked well at containing almost everything.

I went through my stash a while ago to see what I have and what, if anything, I might need.

Here's what I've got:

Fitteds:
1 NB Muttaqin
11 small
17 medium
11 large
either 8 or 4 OS (I've got some weird notes here that don't make sense to me. lol.gif)
13 trainers, although at least 6 of those I can't use, so more like 6-7 trainers

I also have a dozen infant PFs

Coming in the mail as we speak I have 2 small fitteds and 4 or 6 more OS. Plus, a friend who I have a bunch of my FBs to said she can give them back. I think they must be smalls because I have some mediums. Not sure how many but I'm guessing 4-6. I'll get those during my trip to Florida next week. Oh, I just remember I've got some more fitteds on order being made. I can't remember if they are smalls or OS right now. I'll have to check on that. I might have a couple more small fitteds. I can't remember if this list was before or after I bought some new ones.

Most OS dipes start at about 10 lbs. Some say they can go as low as 8 lbs. but when pressed the makers admit they don't really fit an 8 lbs. baby all that well. I just saw a OS NB fitted for sale on Neccessitae on Hyena Cart. I guess it's a modified OS to fit a NB but also go much bigger. It's bamboo, though, which I won't buy anymore so I didn't get it. Only $14, though. Rainshine Designs makes some gorgeous diapers. They are pricey but, man, they are pretty and sooooooooo soft. My fave diaper maker, Righteous Baby, seems to have gone out of business. I can't find them anywhere anymore. greensad.gif

I'm overloaded on covers and still making more.

I've got:

Soakers:
0 NB
6 small
7 medium
several large

Shorties:
0 NB
1 small
2 medium
several large

Longies:
1 NB
4 small

Rompers:
1 NB
1 small

I think I need more small longies and shorties because I use those in place of regular pants. I can't bring myself to make soakers out of my yarn because I don't want the beautiful stuff covered up. What's the point in using the gorgeous hand dyed yarn if no one is going to see it, right? winky.gif

As you can see, you shouldn't have gotten me started on CDing. I'm a fanatic.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#63 of 407 Old 03-29-2011, 10:22 AM

lyterae!  What a sweet, sweet boy!!!  love.gif

I love Kissaluvs, but we EC, so super absorbency is actually a negative for us.  shrug.gif  And my girls were so small I used the newborn size forever, almost until they turned one!  We did Kissaluvs w/no cover around the house, and put on wool longies/shorties or a bummis cover when out.  The Kissaluvs pull up & down well so were great for quick potties.

I'm coveting some Wild Child Woolies but I don't want to spend $$$...

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#64 of 407 Old 03-29-2011, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootScientist View Post

MW, I guess if I were you I'd try to be as prepared as possible for either due date being right. One thing I kind of wonder is if the whole "40 weeks" thing is actually not as accurate as we think (well of course it isn't LOL) because of the whole assuming women ovulate on day 14 thing. It seems like that could skew the average somewhat, since a lot of women ovulate later than that. And of course we know that 40 weeks is not the true average and only a medical convention anyway...so yeah who knows.

I know. All of that makes it hard to plan. My mom is visiting right now and it's making me rethink having her here at all, tbh. We don't get along very well and she says and does things that make me feel bad. Like, she's helpful but it's in a, "Let me do that because you aren't doing it right," kind of way rather than just because she wants to help. I'm seriously considering just doing it on my own, sort of. Course, then the hard thing is telling her not to come after she's already been planning it. I started a new thread about it in this forum and the Parenting forum.

What's the difference between Indian and Chinese PFs? I have Chinese and they are super absorbent.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#65 of 407 Old 03-29-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

AWW!  What a cutie pie, Lyterae!!!  Remind me of his name again, I'm so sorry I can't recall.  And WHERE is that adorable onesie from? Sheepish.gif

His name is Benjamin Andrew :) 

The onesie is Carters brand, but I don't know where it came from. It was gifted from my mom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootScientist View Post

My MW said she would probably do a homebirth as early as 36 weeks if I was comfortable with it so that's only 5 weeks - coming up fast! I hope I don't go quite that early but I am expecting to go early (DS was 37 weeks 2 days according to "my" due date).

We had everything ready at 36 weeks, because DD was born at 37w5d. It made the waiting so much harder! Ben was born at 40w4d. No one (midwife included!) expected that we would make it that "long". 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

lyeterae! ~ Yay! I'm glad you posted here. I was hoping you would. Your baby is just adorable. If you want to tell me, I'll put his birth date on the front page.

Sure thing, he was born 2/27 - we just barely missed a March birthday :) 

I haven't had a whole lot of time for the computer lately, and Ben is a cuddlebug and prefers to sleep on me at all times. 

It's so good to "see" everyone :) and the belly pictures are fantastic, you all look great :) We have managed to catch some nasty cold of some sort over here, I spent most of yesterday running a fever, and the hubby was nice enough to sleep with Ben on the couch for a bit and I got 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep! Woo!

I have low-supply (IGT) - thankfully a known issue now since we're on baby #2, and my supply is capped at about 6 ounces a day. Thankfully Ben is still nursing multiple times through the day and night as well as taking bottles. We were using an SNS for a little bit, but using the SNS I couldn't get the other basically 20 ounces of milk he needed in him... He just hit 10 lbs and is absolutely adorable. My DH is completely in love with him, and overall it's been wonderful. This is how it's supposed to be. Co-sleeping is going well, so well that he doesn't like to sleep by himself. Becca is adjusting - she is still "acting out" in various surprising ways (coloring on furniture for instance), but it has definitely gotten better.

I'm due back to go to work soon and I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to delay it or not go back at all, I'm having a hard time imagining leaving my baby :(

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#66 of 407 Old 03-29-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:

What's the difference between Indian and Chinese PFs? I have Chinese and they are super absorbent.

Indian might not be quite as absorbent as Chinese. They feel softer to me and I don't know...I just like the feel of the fabric better. And they seemed to hold the snappis better too. Mostly personal preference though, I'm sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyterae View Post

We had everything ready at 36 weeks, because DD was born at 37w5d. It made the waiting so much harder! Ben was born at 40w4d. No one (midwife included!) expected that we would make it that "long".

I am kinda worried about that too. I'm thinking if I make it to my due date this time I am going to be so restless! I am going to try to mentally prepare myself for either possibility. I do want to have everything ready by 36 weeks just in case. I'd like to make it to 38 weeks this time but anytime after that I will be raring to go LOL.

A friend of mine just had her baby at 34 weeks and he is in the NICU. I had in mind that we were due around the same time and was shocked when I saw the pic on facebook of her holding her baby already!

I had a great doctor appointment today - it was just an initial appointment with a new family doc for our family. She was so nice and so positive about everything. Didn't bat an eye when I mentioned homebirth, it almost sounds like she sees babies after homebirths all the time LOL. And she encourages us to space out the vaccines a bit and told me I don't need rotavirus for an at-home, breastfed baby, which is exactly what I was thinking. So a really good experience. orngbiggrin.gif I am going to have her do my GBS test at 35 weeks since insurance doesn't cover it if my midwife does it.

Now I have to go give my DS his haircut that he has been requesting. He says his hair is getting "unruly."

#67 of 407 Old 03-30-2011, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Good morning, everyone. Talking about when baby will come, I've known 2 or 3 people who's first baby came early so they fully expected 2nd baby and so on to be early, too. They went nuts when later babies waited. lol.gif I don't know why that would be. I wonder if it has something to do with a difference in care. They had OBs and hospital births for the first and midwives and home births for later babes.

I knew there was something different about the fabric with Chinese and Indian PFs but I can't remember what it is. The Indian PFs look thinner to me. So, after saying that I don't buy bamboo I just realized the Rainshine diapers I bought are bamboo. In my defense, I didn't learn about all the issues with bamboo until after they had been ordered and paid for. I've also found that it's really hard to find diapers that don't have bamboo anymore. I really, really prefer hemp and those seem to be very hard to find. irked.gif

#68 of 407 Old 03-30-2011, 05:18 AM

You know, it's funny but b/c DD came right on time, I'm fully expecting the same this time.  I need to get my head out of the sand on that one!!  And everyone also kept telling me that DD would come early, so from 37 weeks on I was like a watched pot and I hated it.  It was like the second she was "allowed" to come, everyone expected my timer to go off!  LOL, she was born at 39+3 just fyi.  

Maybe I'll tell ppl he's due at the end of August instead of the middle.  lol.gif

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#69 of 407 Old 03-30-2011, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Maybe I'll tell ppl he's due at the end of August instead of the middle.  lol.gif

That's what I do. When people ask when I'm due, I tell them the end of July/beginning of August and then add that I'm shooting for August 1. That would make me 40w2d. All my babes came at 40w+1 or 2 days so it never occurs to me that this one might come early until someone else brings it up. I think it's good to be prepared for anything but not to plan for it. KWIM?

I do get anxious about getting things set up for baby but not by a certain deadline. Just because I like to have things set up. I've been going nuts lately wanting to get my diapers and covers out so that I can see what I have. It's hard for me to remember and imagine what I have and whether or not it's enough when it's packed in a bag even though I have a list. I need to buy a dresser but have to wait a bit and it's driving me crazy!

For example, after my level II u/s, when I was checking out, the lady said the doc wanted me to come back in 10 weeks and made me another appointment. I didn't really think about it at the time and just went along with it. Thinking about it later I decided that I would cancel the appointment a day or two before but would keep jic something came up. That way I'd already have the appointment. It occurred to me Monday after my prenatal with my MW that that was sort of anticipating a problem in my mind, which could very well set me up for a problem. So, I decided to cancel the appointment now. There's no reason for me to think I need it. If something does come up that warrants another u/s, I don't think it will be too difficult to get another appointment.

#70 of 407 Old 03-30-2011, 05:41 AM

DS was "late" born at 41+6, so I am expecting to go late with this one too; now if baby decides to come more or less on time, that will be a happy surprise!

Lyterae; Ben is adorable, and good for you on working with low supply! I didn't have that issue with DS, far from it, but know it must be very challenging, especially if you are needing to go back to work.

14 weeks today! yay! I still can't seem to wake up on time; come on energy, where are you?

My idea for a NB stash is 2 dozen or so prefolds and 6-8 covers. I like to be on the safe side.

MW, have you tried knickernappies? they are a pocket diap and the inserts are cotton and hemp I think (I know they have hemp, but not sure what else blended) The inserts are wide enough for me to use in a FLIP cover, or a bummis SWW easily. just checked the website and they have just hemp inserts as well as hemp and microfiber blend.

I love that this thread is hopping!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#71 of 407 Old 03-30-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:

For example, after my level II u/s, when I was checking out, the lady said the doc wanted me to come back in 10 weeks and made me another appointment. I didn't really think about it at the time and just went along with it. Thinking about it later I decided that I would cancel the appointment a day or two before but would keep jic something came up. That way I'd already have the appointment. It occurred to me Monday after my prenatal with my MW that that was sort of anticipating a problem in my mind, which could very well set me up for a problem. So, I decided to cancel the appointment now. There's no reason for me to think I need it. If something does come up that warrants another u/s, I don't think it will be too difficult to get another appointment.

Good for you!!  I like this way of thinking!

Just got a message that my BFF is in labor!!  joy.gif I'm so so excited for her!  Yay!!

NM new here.  I feel pretty good. Except, I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with this horrible trapped gas I keep getting every day.  It's so painful and nothing helps.  I've tried walking, every yoga pose recommended for gas, hands and knees, birth ball, swaying hips and just sitting on the pot hoping.  Gas X and the sort doesn't even touch it.  It's just sharp, pokey, annoying gas.  It starts around dinner time and lasts ALL NIGHT LONG.  Then in the am, I wake up, roll over, fart and it's gone.  And then the day starts and it happens all over again after dinner. WTF??  I don't know what else to do other than just suffer.

Lyterae - I hear you on the going back to work.  I cried so much when I had to go back.  Are you going back full time?  I lasted about 3 weeks when I decided it was either part time or nothing!!  I hope the adjustment is easier than you anticipate.  And WTG with the nursing!!  

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#72 of 407 Old 03-30-2011, 06:45 AM

MW, did you post your issues with bamboo in this thread? I might have missed them...will you share? I think the fitteds I ordered a few days ago are bamboo...I wasn't aware of issues but now I would like to know!

#73 of 407 Old 03-30-2011, 07:05 AM

I don't know if it what she has in mind, but from what I have read, fabric made from bamboo is not a really natural fabric, it is basically rayon or polyester (or something else highly man-made and un-natural) as it has to be processed so much in order to become fabric. thus if you are solely natural fabric minded, that may be a turn off for you.

and yay for your BFF! hope her labor is smooth sailing and quick!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#74 of 407 Old 03-30-2011, 07:55 AM

Carrie: Have you tried peppermint?  In my house Altoids are medicine for stomach pains &/or queasiness.

In the last couple of days Baby has started having much stronger/bigger movements...instead of just "oh, there was a little kick," I'm getting some, "wow! what the heck, Baby?"  

DD1 was right on time...3 days over, I think.  With DD2 I had an intuition that she was going to be either significantly early or significantly late, but I couldn't figure out which.  My mom came out from the other side of the country so she came prepared for early & ended up having to extend her ticket when N was 10 days late!  lol.gif  I don't have any feelings about this one, but I'm a bit concerned that I'll be frustrated if I have a longer labor.  DD1 was 17 hrs & DD2 was 2.5...I'm definitely anticipating another short labor.  

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#75 of 407 Old 03-30-2011, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Katrina pretty much explained the issues with bamboo. There was some controversy for a while there about whether or not it was really organic. I think maybe some of the manufacturers in China were claiming it was organically grown when it really wasn't. Several of the WAHMs who use have changed their advertising so that it doesn't say organic bamboo anymore. But, yeah, the main thing now is that by the time it's processed as much as it needs to be to become a fabric it's not really natural anymore and all the processing is not good for the environment.

I've got pockets with hemp inserts. I'm not a fan of anything with PUL, though. I like fitteds that require an additional cover. Otherwise, what's the point in all the yarn I've been buying? winky.gif The few PUL dipes I have are for my dh's benefit. He is more willing to CD if he can use those but only if I stuff them. eyesroll.gif I may have to switch to cotton. Cotton is fine but I don't think it's as absorbent as hemp so the dipes have to be a bit thicker and not quite as durable. It's still hard to find 100% cotton fitteds. It's usually a cotton/bamboo blend.

Carrie ~ Exciting about your friend. Does she know if she's having a boy or girl?

Did I tell you all my neighbor 2 doors down told me she's 4 weeks behind me with a surprise pg? It was a little hard for me to be happy for her. It just doesn't seem fair that some people who don't even want babies get them by accident. Anyway, I then felt like a really horrible person because she has 2 boys and was hoping for a girl and I thought I would be mad if she had a girl. Well, yesterday I was informed that she is having another boy. :P Whew! I don't have to deal with a bunch of negative emotions around that.

I was just sitting here talking about due dates with my mom. I always assumed that the 40w pg length was pretty accurate because it was sort of an average with normal, full-term considered anywhere from 38w-42w to take miscalculations into account. My CPM told me that the average length for a pg that is allowed to progress without any interference is actually 41w and 1 or 2 days. A lot of times docs and medwives will strip membranes at 39+w (maybe even earlier since they considered 37-38w completely full-term these days) without informing anyone, which could make labor start earlier than it normally might have.

#76 of 407 Old 03-30-2011, 08:40 AM

We've already started giggling a little bit with my SIL, her three previous babies she has spontaneously gone into labor at 35 weeks to the day. She's "due" with her fourth mid May (35 weeks) and we said if she doesn't go into labor she's just going to show up at the hospital anyways and demand they take the baby. She wouldn't know what to do with a full term baby.

I'm planning on telling people "December" and that way even though my EDD varies between Nov28-Dec1, hopefully people won't start to bug us quite as early.

Lyterae:  He's GORGEOUS! and I wanted to add my commendation for sticking with nursing, even though it's not going as smoothly as you'd like. That's a huge triumph, and you should be proud of yourself.

I've never used knickernappies-- but I've seen them on baby, and I loved how trim and well fitted they were. My other faves for fit are AMP diapers, and they're made by a woman in my city here, so bonus. I can buy local as well.

I went back and dug up my stash list. This is what I'm working off of....

3 newborn fitted diapers- need cover  -  4-10lbs
4 newborn kushies AIO  - 4-10lbs
7 small Fuzzibunz with microfibre inserts  - 7-18lbs
7 small AMP AI2 diapers- 1 insert  - 6-18lbs
6 AMP One Size DUO-  7-35lbs
1 Medium Minkee *******'s Pants with Babkicks Hemparoo Insert  - 13-30lbs
3 Medium Fuzzibunz with Micofibre inserts  -  15-30lbs
1 hemo booster
1 liner
5 homemade inserts

So I figure I have about 20 for the smallish size... I just need for either end-- a few easier newborn-ish size, though I'm going to take a look at the smalls I have while they're snapped on the smallest setting and see how small I think they'll actually go. Maybe I'll just give in a use sposies for a few weeks first. And then I'll need more in the med/large stage, but I didn't want to buy too many until I find out what works for us specifically. I know I've put the fuzzinbunz on an approx 8 month old and they looked a tad snug, but they fit, so hopefully I'll be able to get about that much use out of them. Like I said though.... I'm trying not to let myself purchase anything new until we have less weeks to go than behind us.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#77 of 407 Old 03-30-2011, 09:09 AM

I am under the same impression, that cotton is just not as absorbant/compact as hemp. so therefore must be very bulky for equal absorbancy. Me, I don't really have a natural fiber preference or anything (my carbon footprint is probably huge!)  but I do love the very few bummis organic prefolds I have - they are unbleached cotton - they are pretty absorbant, and don't quilt up as much as some of my other prefolds. .

I have a varied pocket stash for DS: knickernappies, BG 4.0s (all are the artist series; my splurge  I have 4 total), huggabuns, swaddlebees, happy heineys (my least favorite as the elastic rolls) and 1 WAHM.

JJ: I have the same DD issue as "my" EDC is 9/28, but as DS was late and just for my comfort, I tell people October. I am in the October DDC as it just makes more sense to me, more of the women there seem to be in the same stage I am in.

I can't tell you how much I am itching to start baby registries. (I do as many as possible as you get more coupons and free stuff that way) but I am trying to hold out until I know whether this one is pink or blue.

#78 of 407 Old 03-30-2011, 09:21 AM

haha, I've been creating private baby registries for years, and then deleting them, and then a few months later I'll get bored one night and go looking again. I think we'll probably do one registry at toys r us... mostly because there's nowhere else really to do one here... I don't think you can view the walmart ones online.  And then I plan on making one of the online ones, where you can add stuff from all over... and putting things like the diapers, and the stroller, and a wrap etc on there. You can buy most of it in this city, but it's like one thing at this store, and one at this other one over there, etc etc. So I couldn't do one all inclusive registry.

I don't love the idea of velcro for CD. To me it just seems less clean, and I can imagine more problems with washing as such. That's why all the ones I have (save the kushies which were practically free) are snap.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#79 of 407 Old 03-30-2011, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

JJ ~ Do your SIL's babies have to stay in the NICU for a while?

Those NB diapers seem more like preemie to me. DS3 was 9 lbs. 7 oz at birth so he wouldn't have worn a diaper that only goes to 10 lbs. for very long. Also, I keep forgetting that the NB dipes are usually not as absorbent since they get changed more often. That makes them not always so great for older babies even if they do fit, unless you ED like Shannon. Then I guess they'd be perfect. I wish I had the discipline to do that but I can't even remember to get my almost 4yo on the toilet often enough. shy.gif

I don't like velcro and the other thing that's very much like velcro. Can't remember what it's called. It doesn't stay closed as well, makes noise when changing (not good when you've got a sleeping baby) and sticks to covers and clothes. I prefer side snapping to front snapping for fit and because front snapping dipes tend to get side droops. All the OS dipes are front snapping, though, so I'm having to compromise. I had one Happy Heiney and hated it! It wicked something awful. It was used so maybe that was the problem but I've bought used FBs and Wonderoos and didn't have that problem. Some of my Wonderoos have been used so much the elastic is completely shot but they still don't leak or wick. I like those for nighttime because I can stuff them with a big PF for max absorbency and they are super easy for those half-awake changes. They look very uncomfortable on baby, though, like his legs are being stretched straight out to the sides. lol.gif

I forgot about Swaddlebees. I love my swaddlebees fitteds. They are super absorbent and relatively trim. I don't know if they are cotton or hemp, though, as they were gifted to me. I also got some SB PUL pockets. Those are very trim and absorbent but they are microfiber so not something I would buy myself.

Oh, I know what else I wanted to say. IME, people use medium dipes the longest. Most babies are out of the smalls pretty quickly and very few babies need large. I wouldn't buy any medium or large until baby is born so I can gauge how big he is. There's plenty of time to get the larger diapers. It's the smalls or OSes that I'd want to stock up on before baby is born.

#80 of 407 Old 03-30-2011, 10:16 AM

I also agree that snaps are the way to go.  When I was trying out a few different types, I just wasn't a fan of aplix at all.  And yes, most kids/babies are in Ms forever.  You figure if they potty train b/w 2 and 3 years old, they won't even need a large dipe unless they're really big kids.  Right?

I am so proud of my best friend.  Oh, MW, she's having a girl.  It's her first.  Her water broke this am around 4, and she went to the hospital around 9 with really uncomfy ctx, and is already at a 6!  She's rocking it out in the tub and over the birth ball.  I can't wait for her baby to get here!  I am so, so proud of her!! 

#81 of 407 Old 03-30-2011, 10:29 AM

The first one stayed for a week, but that was primarily because they thought she had... developmental problems. It turns out, it's just because her father is funny looking, so it translated into the baby looking like she had several markers for Downs. The specialist looked so embarassed when they realized what the reason for the markers was... The second baby was set to come home on day three, and then day two she had a collapsed lung (which we believe was due to something the nurse did actually, but can't prove...) She ended up coming home on day 5. And then baby three actually never went to the NICU at all other than a few hours of observation at first, and then she roomed in. She went home after three days. All three of them were fairly big for 35 weeks (in around 5.5lbs), so i think that was a contributing. My SIL has a bicornate uterus, so they weren't surprised she delivered early, and I'm sure that factors into it all.

The newborn ones DO seem small, but they seem like they'll easily fit up to about the 8-9lb, which is when baby should fit the smalls anyways. All the newborn ones I have were either free, or I got the kushies ones I think all four for $2.99 or something like that at the thrift store. So I'm ok if they don't get a lot of use... But yes... planning on probably buying more OS or meds once the baby is here and growing into the first OS I bought so I'll have an idea of fit.

#82 of 407 Old 03-30-2011, 10:30 AM

Carrie, sounds as if she is doing great!

MW: I know the knickernappies are PUL which isn't ideal, but they do have side snapping OS . .http://www.knickernappies.com/knickernappies_onesize_diapers.html May not be the most natural fibers, but at least all of the material and dipes are USA made.

I far prefer snaps, but my mom loves velcro/aplix so I try to bring the couple velcro/aplix ones I have with me when we visit. Most velcro doesn't bother me, it is just that it rubs DS's tummy raw and gets pilly. The Grovia aplix is awful. it hardly sticks to anything, so not an effective fastener. I loved them for the trim fit, but if they won't stay on, what is the point?

#83 of 407 Old 03-30-2011, 10:39 AM

Carrie I missed oyur update, that sounds fantastic. I miss my doula dates... just being there and the excitement and magic of it all.

#84 of 407 Old 03-30-2011, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Carrie ~ I hope your friend has a beautiful and peaceful birth. Sounds like she's doing very well so far.

Aplix, yes! That's what it is. Yeah, I don't really like that.

JJ ~ Ah, ok. The bicornate uterus makes sense. I was wondering if maybe for some reason her babies are just done at 35w and end up not having any preemie issues. Guess that's not quite it.

I wonder if I could just use my stuffers/doublers laid in a soaker for my NB if the smalls and OS don't fit yet.

#85 of 407 Old 03-31-2011, 05:18 AM

Just a quick update on my best friend.  She gave birth last night at 10 pm to a gorgeous, healthy, amazing baby girl!  Labor stalled for a bit but she rocked it out, and afaik didn't use any pain meds or an epi.  Only a minor 2nd degree tear.  I have never been or felt so inspired by anyone!  She's my new hero.  happytears.gif

I feel renewed, like if she can do it, I can totally do it again.  

MW - I know before we were pg, we both were kinda iffy about hb'ing again.  I know I'm going to do it, and I know it's going to be ok, but I admit for awhile there my fears/hangups were getting to me.  How are you doing?

#86 of 407 Old 03-31-2011, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

First, congrats to your friend!
Quote:

MW - I know before we were pg, we both were kinda iffy about hb'ing again.  I know I'm going to do it, and I know it's going to be ok, but I admit for awhile there my fears/hangups were getting to me.  How are you doing?

I'm doing a lot better with it. I'm definitely going to have a home birth rather than waffling about what to do. I'm still afraid of the pain. I just keep reminding myself that that part is temporary and relatively short in the big scheme of things and I can get through it. It was really difficult for me when I was so sick last week. I kept thinking the entire time that I was sick that I couldn't have another baby without pain meds. I think it reminded me of how nauseous and just all around awful I felt the last couple of hours that I was in labor. There are so many reasons to not go to the hospital, though, that it's just really not an option for me.

I've been trying to get my Hypnobirthing book back. I loaned it to that 18yo girl I know who was pg. She had her baby a couple of weeks ago. She's got some strange issues going on with her boyfriend. He intercepts phone calls and texts, sends strange responses and doesn't tell her about it. It definitely has me concerned for her and her baby's safety. His behavior borders on abusive, imo, if it isn't already. At 5 days old the baby ended up in the hospital for at least a week with 2nd/3rd degree burns on his feet while in the care of Dad that no one can seem to explain. There was a criminal investigation going on with the dad but I don't know what, if anything, happened with that. I don't know where they live but I do know where her grandmother lives so I may go by Grandma's house saying I'm trying to get my book back and have a gift to give to the girl and see if I can get in touch with her that way.

Anyway, all of that to say that I'd like to start reading about and practicing the hypnobirthing to see if I can do it so that it might help. Oh, and I also found out that there is a local acupuncturist who might come to my labor and do acupuncture for pain. I don't know if it will help but I know it helps for nausea. That's definitely something I'm going to look into. I just can't afford the intake fee right now.

#87 of 407 Old 03-31-2011, 10:31 AM

Oh my gosh that poor baby!

I feel the same.  I'm still afraid of the pain.  In my head I know I can do it though, b/c I've done it before.  I almost feel more prepared this time knowing what to expect, b/c I was just caught so off guard the first time.  I'm hoping labor is shorter and I'm doing all I can to make sure baby isn't posterior this time, too!

#88 of 407 Old 04-01-2011, 04:51 AM

The pain part doesn't bother me - I know I didn't make it all the way through with DS, but my contractions were nearly off the charts with the pitocin. For me, I just have to keep reminding myself that I can birth, it is possible and I am capable. I really, really don't want another c-section. I can go into labor on my own (this is my biggest hang up since I was induced with DS, I think that once I do go into labor, alot of my fear will go away) I also need to look at hypnobirthing. I think it will help.

I wish I were having a homebirth, and if I wasn't a VBAC, I would completely consider going unassisted. I did with DS - I was ready to buy birthing kit and tub and everything, but then I had a couple issues with blood pressure (which went away) and chickened out. as a VBAC I really would want someone else there who knew what they were doing. I think DH would be more comfortable too, and his opinion does matter. The only midwife I have found that will attend an HBAC is 3 hours away, and that is just too far for comfort.

I am glad it is Friday, anyone else?

#89 of 407 Old 04-01-2011, 05:56 AM

Me!  I'm glad it's Friday!!  I hope I'm not terribly busy at work today though.  I'm beat.  Nora's sick (with a head cold) and had me up and down all night.  Yawn.  It's going to be a coffee day for sure, though I sure hate bombarding baby dino with tons of caffeine.

My next prenatal is on Tuesday!  I'll be 21 weeks.  I feel like so far this pg has been going by kind of fast, but this past week or so dragged a bit.  I remember time slowing down around this week mark with DD.  I hope it doesn't slow down much more.  I'm getting antsy for my baby.  Doesn't help that my best friend's baby is here and I want my own right.now.this.minute too!!  LOL!

#90 of 407 Old 04-01-2011, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

katrina ~ Why were you induced with DS? I thought there were a lot of home birth MWs in SC since they can practice legally. A lot of women from NC see MWs from SC. I had the same problem in Hawaii. I couldn't find a home birth MW who was 100% comfortable doing a VBAC. One mother/daughter partnership refused to even consider it. I think that's sad since there is no evidence that VBAC is more dangerous than normal birth unless there are specific issues.

Friday is just like any other day to me. They are all pretty much the same. winky.gif. My mom is leaving today, finally! She came to visit for the weekend and got sick so ended up staying all week. She's driving me crazy. We're supposed to go to Florida next week with my dad to see my grandmother. I hope we don't get anyone else sick.

Oh, I got a nice, clean used infant car seat/carrier yesterday for $30 yesterday. I'm so happy I found it. I'm not going to use it in my car but I decided I'll need something to put baby in while sitting at Tae Kwon Do for 2 hours. It's a small place and there isn't room to put a blanket on the floor. Hopefully, baby will cooperate this time. We had one for Ethan but he fussed and cried so much while in it that we gave up using it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page