The Whatever Ladies Graduate! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 407 Old 04-03-2011, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had leaking like that AFTER DD was born.  I used to lay on a towel or throw down a baby blanket to sleep on.  The waterproof pads always just crinkled and weren't comfy. But I agree, I wouldn't pump.  I think it would just lead to more leaking, TBH.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#122 of 407 Old 04-03-2011, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

That's good to know that the change from colostrum to milk is hormonal. Make sense. I never really looked into it. That was just a concern that popped into my head. I couldn't wear pads at night because they would just get squished and folded and slid out of place. Also, when nursing at night, trying to mess with a bra and pads was just ridiculous.

I keep forgetting to say something else about being vegetarian and getting enough protein. I read up on this in the early weeks of this pg when I was having major meat aversions. You could be getting enough overall protein but still not get enough of every essential aminoe acids because no one vegetarian food except quinoa (at least that I've come across) contains all of them. Quinoa does contain all 12 or 13 essential amino acids but not in levels as high as meat. That means you have to eat a lot more to get the same amount. So adding quinoa to your diet and making sure to combine beans/legumes with grains might help with that.

The Brewer diet is difficult. I don't follow it religiously. I mostly just use it as a guide for getting enough protein and specific foods/nutrients.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#123 of 407 Old 04-03-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

That's good to know that the change from colostrum to milk is hormonal. Make sense. I never really looked into it. That was just a concern that popped into my head. I couldn't wear pads at night because they would just get squished and folded and slid out of place. Also, when nursing at night, trying to mess with a bra and pads was just ridiculous.

I keep forgetting to say something else about being vegetarian and getting enough protein. I read up on this in the early weeks of this pg when I was having major meat aversions. You could be getting enough overall protein but still not get enough of every essential aminoe acids because no one vegetarian food except quinoa (at least that I've come across) contains all of them. Quinoa does contain all 12 or 13 essential amino acids but not in levels as high as meat. That means you have to eat a lot more to get the same amount. So adding quinoa to your diet and making sure to combine beans/legumes with grains might help with that.

The Brewer diet is difficult. I don't follow it religiously. I mostly just use it as a guide for getting enough protein and specific foods/nutrients.

Ooh, good think I eat a ton of quinoa!  I'm even going to try it for breakfast.  Something like this:

http://www.marthastewart.com/314453/breakfast-quinoa

Though, the whole idea of combining foods is a myth.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_amino_acid#Recommended_daily_amounts

I can't type below the quote but what I take from it is that as long as daily you get enough protein, it doesn't matter as much what you eat at each "meal".  This way you maintain the proper amounts.

Quote:

Although proteins from plant sources tend to have a relatively low biological value, in comparison to protein from eggs or milk, they are nevertheless "complete" in that they contain at least trace amounts of all of the amino acids that are essential in human nutrition.[8] Eating various plant foods in combination can provide a protein of higher biological value; however, vegetarians do not need to intentionally combine different foods for this purpose necessarily.[9] Even so, the amino acid content in most plant proteins is less per serving than that from animal sources, which makes it difficult for vegetarians to maintain essential amino acids at optimum quantity and distribution.[10]

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#124 of 407 Old 04-03-2011, 03:05 PM

I think we've finally made progress in the name department! We both seem to be on board with the name Ava. I know it's really popular right now but I looked on the SSA site this morning and sorted for popularity by state. The other name that we were seriously considering, Sophia, was more popular in my state in 2009 than Ava was. So I guess the popularity thing doesn't matter. All of our other kids have at least one other child in their grade at school with the same name so I just need to let that go I think. 

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#125 of 407 Old 04-03-2011, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Carrie ~ I don't think that's much different than what I was saying. It does say that combining plant foods gives a protein of "higher biological value". The point is that you need to eat a variety of plant food in larger quantities to get the same amount as you would from one serving of meat.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#126 of 407 Old 04-03-2011, 10:29 PM

I like the name Ava. :)  Our DD name from way back when was going to be Avery, but then my SIL named hers Ava... and I just didn't want them to be so similiar.

Guys I've been having creamy CF that has just the smallest amount of pinkish tinge to it, and I know that you can have spotting, or bleeding even, and everything be all hunky dory, but I just need some confirmation. It's not spotting even, just enough that I can see on the TP that it's not white or clear, it's pinkish. I have a dr's appointment tomorrow with my GP for a checkup, so I know I can ask her, but it's not like there's anything she can check/do anyways... I just need to be able to calm myself down. gah.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#127 of 407 Old 04-04-2011, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

Carrie ~ I don't think that's much different than what I was saying. It does say that combining plant foods gives a protein of "higher biological value". The point is that you need to eat a variety of plant food in larger quantities to get the same amount as you would from one serving of meat.

Haha.  You're right.  I don't even know if I was disagreeing with you or supporting you!  Placenta brain.  LOL.

JJ - Calm down and breathe!  You're 100% right, it's probably most likely nothing.  Take it easy, drink some water, and know that spotting or pink mucus is well within range of normal.  

Annie - LOVE Ava!  Beautiful name!!

#128 of 407 Old 04-04-2011, 05:08 AM

JJ: I know women who thought they've had full blown AF's for months while pregnant. it seems (I forget the exact stats) that a whole lot of pregnant women experience bleeding in the 1st trimester, so while I understand your concern - I would be freaked out a little myself - just breathe. try to relax. Can your GP send you for an early ultrasound?

RE: leaky boobs: I loved my Bravado nursing bra - it is the original one - it is comfy even for sleeping, in fact I know a lot of women who use it only for that. I used to wear mine all the time; hence why it finally gave up and tore after over a year of hard use :) (I am like a 40G, or was when nursing. I havent' been remeasured, as it is pointless until later - so it was definitely hard use on the poor thing). I think Bravado has some of the better made, for less money, and certainly pretty comfortable bras. I spent $$$ on an Anita bra because I read such great things about them, and the bra isn't that comfortable, and further more lost at least one hook in the back after less than a month of light use.

At any rate, for night time, I slept on a flannel  baby blanket or two after DS was born. I leaked like crazy for months. I am not looking forward to that again.

Annie: I like the name Ava. I had a teacher in high school whose name was Ave (Ah-vay) and I thought it was a lovely name. I think it means either greeting (like Ave Maria) or bird (Avian)  . . . I know I wouldn't want the most common name, but I do like names to be recognizable and pronouncable and spellable. People used to ask how I spell Gabriel, I don't know how else you would.

I don't know much about vegan/vegetarian-ism as far as how to get all the nutrients and stuff you need. I think it is awesome that someone has that kind of discipline to do it. For me, I love my dairy too much to give it up. (ice cream! cheese! chocolate milk!  - though I know there are vegan friendly alternatives; it is just not the same) and meat . . . well, I probably could really do without meat. I could always be a pescetarian ;) Then I could still have sushi!

Hope all of you had a good weekend. I think I need to stop carrying DS; my shoulder and left hip are killing me, and we are only at 14 weeks! I already see a chiro, but think I need to also see his massage therapist. DH is going through massage school now (so I get free massages if I ask) but said it may not be a bad idea to also see the massage therapist at the chiro as she has more clinical experience, and also has done quite a bit of prenatal massage. Thankfully insurance pays for 14 visits a year.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#129 of 407 Old 04-04-2011, 06:12 AM

JJ: Hugs sweetie. Seeing anything that has even the tinge of color on TP has always sent me in to a tailspin. If it were me going to my GP today, I would ask for my progesterone level to be checked. You may also want to consider having your beta HCG ran to see to get a baseline and perhaps check it in two days to see the doubling rate? Again, that's just me.

akind1: Do you remember which style Bravado nursing bra you bought? I'm wearing a 40G right now and it's too small. redface.gif So I'll definitely need something bigger than that when my milk comes in. I didn't have as much leaking last night but if it gets worse, I'll probably have to start sleeping in a bra. irked.gif

I'm glad you guys all like the name Ava! Now we'll just need to convince the kids. For some reason, DSD 11 freaked out when I told her that name originally. I asked her if there was a girl at her school that she didn't like that had that name but she said no, she just didn't like it. shrug.gif But I started calling the baby that last night when I was talking to my belly and it just feels right. I think that's her name!

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#130 of 407 Old 04-04-2011, 06:14 AM

Oh and akind1, we're Catholic so naming her Ave instead of Ava feels a little strange to me, especially with the whole Ave Maria thing. Also, we've been trying to pick out a first name that is also a saint's name and Ava fits the bill!

#131 of 407 Old 04-04-2011, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

JJ ~ What you are seeing could be absolutely nothing. Sometimes my CF looks pinkish but that's just the light or something. I don't know but it's not spotting. It is possible that it could be an indication of a yeast infection if all of the CF is pinkish rather than streaked or what spotting looks like. It's hard for me to describe.

I've been meaning to ask you how things work up there with prenatals since you are getting anxious. Do you usually get an early initial appointment/check up? A lot of times down here you don't get seen by anyone before 9w, sometimes not even until 12+w. I guess maybe some people go in for a urine pg test just to have it confirmed but then that's it. No other prenatal stuff at that point. I've always wondered why that is because they turn around and talk about how important nutrition and health are in the first trimester. If it's so important, why don't the docs provide care and info at that time? eyesroll.gif

Annie ~ That is a pretty name. Is it Ah-va or Ai-va? I woke up this morning thinking I need to send a list of every possible name I've come up with to dh and see what, if anything, he at least says is a possibility.

I tried a Bravado bra because I had read raves about them. I hated it. I found it difficult to put on and take off and too large and cumbersome while wearing. Also, the snaps for nursing were a pain. I could not work it with just one hand. I didn't get the style that looks most like a sports bra. It looked more like a regular bra. I still found it difficult and uncomfortable. I'm a size 34DD-36D.

#132 of 407 Old 04-04-2011, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure this is the Bravado bra I bought. It wouldn't work for you guys but there is a Plus one for larger cup sizes. http://www.bravadodesigns.com/shop/the-original-nursing-bra-plus-style.

One main thing that I have learned I do not like with nursing bras is when they only have the shoulder strap so when you unhook the bra to nurse there's nothing else to keep the bra on you. That's how the Bravado I got worked. I have some that say Q-T on the tag that have a strap that comes up from the center of the bra, around the inside of my breast and attaches to the shoulder strap. When I unhook the bra to nurse that inside strap stays on and keep the bra on. They also have hooks that are very easy to use with just one hand. I've tried several different nursing bras over the years and those are the only ones I really like. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I got them because I need a couple more in a 36D. I don't like underwire, which limits my choices because most bras in D cup or above have underwire. I guess the bra makers all got together and deciding that anyone with a cup size larger than C needs underwire. Very annoying.eyesroll.gif

ETA: The Q-T bras cost a lot less than the Bravado. Of course, that may not help you guys since I don't know if they go up to the larger sizes. I'm sure as difficult as it is for me to find a 34DD, it must be 10 times more difficult for you guys to find 40G and above.

EATA: Here's the Q-T website: http://www.qtbras.com/Nursing-Maternity-bras.html. I like the plain cotton nursing bra. It's only $14.00 and I still have them from when I was pg with and nursing ds2 6+ years ago.

Annie ~ My boys have suggested names like Cody and Rex. lol.gif There's no way I'm using either of those. Trying to find a way to get them to understand gently is so hard. They hate every name I come up with and, obviously, get upset that they don't have as much say in it as I do.

#133 of 407 Old 04-04-2011, 07:32 AM

MW: We would pronounce it A-va with the A making a long-A sound like in acorn. We've tried to involve the kids as much as possible and since they are older, they understand our criteria. First name needs to be a saint's name and middle name needs to be a family name. So they have made lists, etc and I've tried to consider them all. I just keep coming back to Ava and I think that's going to be the final decision. The only thing that will change that is what their mom names her new baby that should be born any time now. It's possible that if she has a girl, she could be named a very similar name to Ava (it's their mom's grandmother's name) and if that's the case, then we won't use Ava. I think it will already be hard enough for the kids to explain that they have two siblings that are the same age but they are aren't twins and it would make it worse if they had very similar names.

I think Rex is a great name! lol.gif Maybe a middle name?

Oh and yes, finding bras I think is going to be a challenge. It's already hard enough to find regular bras much less nursing bras.

JJ: MW is right, the spotting/pinkish fluid could be absolutely nothing. Or it could be yeast. You may want to have your GP test for a yeast infection. That's not uncommon in early pregnancy and can cause the pinkish fluid.

#134 of 407 Old 04-04-2011, 07:37 AM

The Bravado bras that I adored were the Seamless ones.

http://www.bravadodesigns.com/shop/the-body-silk-seamless-nursing-bra

Though, I only needed a D cup, so I'm not sure how they work or if they come in the larger sizes you gals need.  But I loved them!  They did have that extra strap on the shoulder that holds the bra up with the clip is undone, and I had no trouble doing it one handed.  Plus they had this padded insert that hid the nursing pads.  I'm totally buying new ones this go round -- my two from DD are pretty worn out.

JJ - yes, could definitely be yeast!  Hopefully it's nothing though.

MW - Nora's top picks for the new baby are Boobah, Barney, and George.  I love George but not for the reason she does --- Curious George.  I was joking with DH, how confusing would that be for her if we named her baby brother after one of her favorite characters?  LOL!

#135 of 407 Old 04-04-2011, 08:11 AM

The one I slept in was the original in I think it is the double plus. I did eventually buy a Bliss also and love it. I honestly never had any problems unhooking with one hand, and as long as the shoulder straps are good and snug, it shouldn't fall off either. Since pre-pregnancy I pay 40 - 50 dollars for bras (when I feel like splurging I get le mystere which are more like 70-80, but they are fabulous and last a while) I don't mind spending a comprable amount of money on nursing bras. I have 3 Bravado ones altogether and they lasted well over a year. I also have the Supreme, which I don't like very much as it has a seam that goes right over the nipple area. It is ok when you wear nursing pads, but intolerable when you do not.

for non-bravado bras I love the site www.herroom.com has a great return policy and has a feature to show how the bras look with various necklines (important for me, as I wear a lot of v-necks and tanks and some of the nursing bras are way too full coverage to get away with a v-neck)

Ava is a lovely name, what family name do you think you will go with?  and do you have a back up for Ava in the event the kids' mom names her baby that or something similiar?

Maybe it is a good think DS is entirely too young to help or hinder name selection! It is funny, when we first got pregnant with DS we were set on Brandon for a boy or Caroline or Natalie for a girl. But then (especially for a boy) we decided to go a different direction; I have cousins (all sisters) who are Brittany, Brandi, and Brianna. We felt another Br- was too much. And we just randomly fell in love with the name Gabriel. I don't think either Caroline or Natalie is in the running for a girl anymore for us . . I love Natalie, but I do not really like the meaning: "born on Christmas day" - unless you manage that feat, it just seems an odd meaning (I like a name to have some sort of distinctive meaning).  For now, unless some major epiphany happens, we are firm on Norah or Theodore.  We will find out in exactly 6 weeks! yay!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#136 of 407 Old 04-04-2011, 08:44 AM

If we end up going with Ava then her middle name will be my MIL's name which is a very "old-fashioned" name. Pauline. But I love the two together and my MIL is a wonderful lady and I think it would be a great way to honor her. I'd also consider Frances as the middle name after my late FIL.

If we can't use Ava, then we're a little stuck. There are other names that DH and I like, for instance Sophia, but nothing that we LOVE. The girls suggested Hannah and then my maiden name as her middle name. I like Hannah but I don't LOVE it, you know?

#137 of 407 Old 04-04-2011, 09:11 AM

I know what you mean. I like Hannah but for a less common reason:  because I like that it translates in Japanese as well (I am not Japanese, but I did live in Okinawa for a couple years) - Hanna (without the end "h") means both nose and flower in Japanese.

Ava Pauline is good name, as is Ava Frances. I like old-fashioned names. Sophia is a particular favorite of mine but it is very popular. I know Frances is a much less common name for girls, or anyone, lately, could you do Frances Pauline? or Pauline Frances? I am not Catholic but know there is St Francis of Assisi and St Paul (possibly a female St. Frances or Pauline?) just as a back up - I like Ava better than either Pauline or Frances :)

you still have a couple months to decide, that is the good thing. When is your kids' mom due?

#138 of 407 Old 04-04-2011, 09:28 AM

Their mom is due any time now so we should know within a few weeks what name we can use.

Oh and I was going to say Caroline was on our original list of names but DH has decided he doesn't like that anymore. I think Norah is a beautiful name and goes well with Gabriel.

#139 of 407 Old 04-04-2011, 09:49 AM

Thanks guys. It's hard because the logical, educated, non-pregnant part of me knows that it's completely normal, and most likely means nothing at all. But that part of me that's been waiting years to have kids looks at that tiny bit of pink and thinks "its oooooovvvvvveerrrrrrrr"  (Ok that's another reference that no one will get, addison from greys talking about her marriage:  20 seconds in-- .

LOL. That's the kind of mopey I start feeling like.

Anyways... I got what I thought was a couple tiny tiny drops of blood on the tp last night after I posted even ( 4-5 specks really, but red nonetheless), and so i went to bed feeling pretty crummy, hence the video, but then I took antoher test when I got up this morning and it was DARK. It came up completely positive, as dark as the control line within probably 15 seconds. I didn't even know it could do that. And the boobs still hurt, so I'm taking these as good signs.

I think the dr/first appointment thing varies. I'm pretty sure that with a midwife, my first appointment will be later than it would be if I were seeing an OB. I think typically they have you come in around 8 weeks though. In normal cases, I have no problem with that. I suspect on some level, they make it that little bit later so that they miss out on a lot of early miscarriages. I'm sure if lowers their caseload, but I wonder as well if it would be harder to handle a loss once you're already been to the doctor for that pregnancy-- if it would make it seem more concrete? I'm not sure. Anyways... I'm sure she'll give me a test today, but other than that, it'll be just a normal checkup.

I'm ok with not seeing the midwife for several weeks, especially since there's nothing really she can -do- for me. I'm a very hands off person, or want to be. I would prefer not to have any early ultrasounds, I see no reason for internals during the pregnancy, DH can check my BP and heart rate, and I can monitor my weight, and my intake/output, you know? I know at some point she'll want to take some blood, but I'm terrified of needles, so I'm ok with holding that off for awhile. I ideally want one ultrasound around 20-25 weeks to check gender and determine placental position, but I'd rather not have any other than that.

It's ironic I know, because here I am freaking out about a bit of pink, but I don't really want the dr to do anything about it either, you know? I don't want an early ultrasound, because it's so early, they can't really tell you much-- and it won't really help me from losing a baby if I was going to, you know? I've been taking tests every few days (just to use up existing stock) and they're getting darke,r so my HCG in theory is doubling. The progesterone could be an issue, and if she offers, then I might get her to check that.

I do think the yeast is a possible. I've never really had a yeast infection, or at least not that I've eevr identified and had treated, but I did notice last night that I'm a bit tender down there, right almost on the inside of the lip, just feels dryish, and a bit 'raw'. It's happened before but always goes away within a day, so I've never worried about it. But it could kind of make sense.

Anyways... I'm really rambling now, and DH just brougth me breakfast, so I'm going to go eat, and try to just think happpppppy thoughts.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#140 of 407 Old 04-04-2011, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Carrie ~ That shoulder strap is not what I was talking about. I think it may actually be called a sling. It's an extra that goes around the breast toward the center like on those Q-T bras. I didn't feel comfortable with just the shoulder strap when the cup was unhooked. I'm pretty sure my Bravado had snaps, too, rather than hooks, which made it difficult. Maybe they make them differently now. I bought it in 2004 or 2005.

I don't like that the Bravado bras have a lot of coverage like a sports bra.

I really like this one: http://www.figure8maternity.com/viewItem.cfm?pid=106343. I've not tried it, though. Finding a good nursing bra is so difficult.

You guys are good with names. I should list the names I've come up with here and get your input. Our ds2 has the same name as my FIL's wife's youngest ds, I think. It's kind of weird because, technically, the boy is our ds' stepuncle but he's only a few years older. We decided we didn't care that the names are the same because we don't have anything to do with her or her kids or family.

Here are some of the names on my list. Nothing that I really love.

Aiden
Braeden
Brenden
Logan
Nolan
Tristan (I don't think I really like this much at all but it's different from all the others)

I think I really like Ronan and Rowan but they are too similar to Ryan. What do you think?

#141 of 407 Old 04-04-2011, 10:39 AM

UGH - I am sooooooooo miserable! I hate being this pregnant!!!! The worst part is that I have been in prodromal labor for the past week and it is driving me crazy....

Oh well - I suppose she has GOT to come out at some point or another. 2whistle.gif

I tried to check my cervix to make sure I'm not like 8cm or anything - but let me tell you - it is T.O.T.A.L.L.Y different in there than when you are just charting! I have absolutely no idea if I have even felt my cervix much less the opening! ha ha ha ha

Anyways - my little ball of misery is Arianna Therese :-) My sister was going to name her boy that if he was a girl so I never used it - but he just turned seven so I figured the statue of limitations was up. She's actually happy I am using it, so all is good.

Listening to you ladies talk about cloth diapering is making me want to look into it again. I really am just sooooooooooo overwhelmed when I even think about it. Maybe I will try to order a few of every kind and try it out part time and see where it goes. What do you ladies think I should FORSURE try? pockets? AIO? Prefolds?

AAAAUUUUGGGHHHH - I'm getting overwhelmed again - LOL

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

#142 of 407 Old 04-04-2011, 11:57 AM

I love my pockets, easy to use like an AIO but with more flexibility in stuffing, cheaper, and easier to clean and dry.

Arianna is a beautiful name!

MW: of your list I like Nolan and Tristan the best. others that maybe work (but I forget the names of your other boys) so I don't kow if any are duplicates or sound alike. oh, and I love Rowan, but more for a girl.

Dylan

Jordan

Nathan

Roman

Colin

#143 of 407 Old 04-04-2011, 12:39 PM

Yeah, what are the names of your other sons?  That would help!  You know I love Logan, but I do also like Tristan a lot.  Are you set on the an/en ending?

#144 of 407 Old 04-04-2011, 12:48 PM

MW: Nolan is my favorite. I was also going to suggest Colin.

#145 of 407 Old 04-04-2011, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

My boys are Ryan, Ethan and Kellen. That's why I'm set on the ending sound. It doesn't have to be -an or -en, though. It could be -in, -on or -yn as long as it sounds the same. I like Nolan but my dh said he did not. Maybe he'll change his mind.

I like Jordan but it seems to be used more for girls these days. I also like a bunch of those others but I don't LOVE any of them. That's why I'm hung up. A name I came up with when I woke this morning was Sloane. It doesn't sound the same, though. I also think that's used a lot for girls.

annie ~ I was going to suggest pockets, too. My dh can even use those (as long as I stuff them). They clean better than AIOs because you take the absorbent insert out. And you can either stuff them when you do the laundry or stuff them as you use them depending on when you have time. If you go with pockets, I suggest Fuzzibunz. Stay away from Happy Heiny's. Are Bumgenious pockets? They are very popular, I think. I recently got some pockets for $4.30 each through a co-op. They are one size and look very nice but I haven't tried them yet. They are also made in China in case that matters. It is supposed to be a WAHM type business except that she uses a friend's factory. Another co-op is coming up very soon if you are interested. It's SunBaby diapers and they are on Facebook.

The least expensive would be prefolds. You'd need covers with those. The easiest for that would be Bummis Whisper wraps or something like that. I think those are popular.

#146 of 407 Old 04-04-2011, 01:54 PM

Dude, Jackson popped into my head when you listed your other DS's names!  Do you like that?  

#147 of 407 Old 04-04-2011, 04:44 PM

Or Bowen!!

#148 of 407 Old 04-04-2011, 04:54 PM

MW: I like Nolan!

AnnieA: On leaking colostrum, here's what Breastfeeding Answers Made Simple has to say (it's not a lot)

Quote:
Production of colostrum begins about mid-pregnancy, but the mother's high blood levels of progesterone inhibit significant milk production until after birth.  Many pregnant mothers leak colostrum and can express small amounts.  No association has yet been found between the amount of colostrum leaked or expressed during pregnancy and a mother's milk production later.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#149 of 407 Old 04-05-2011, 05:25 AM

I like Sloane; I don't know any girls named that. (I did know one, but it was her last name, so that doesn't count)

I remember my mother telling me she leaked a lot while pregnant with me. Now, she didn't breastfeed me (tough to do when you are a senior in high school and working 3 jobs on the side) so I don't know how her milk production would have been later.

I like my bumgenius pockets. The only pockets I have gotten and not liked have been WAHM off of etsy that are too bulky - they have an outer fabric layer, an inner microfleece layer, and a layer of PUL in between. Too many layers make for bulky dipes. DS is lean so in these he just looks ridiculous. I like having just an outer PUL layer and inner micro-fleece or suede . one WAHM diaper I have has an inner regular (almost but not quite polar fleece) fleece layer. If she had used a micro-fleece, she would have a much trimmer dipe.  The only happy heiny's diaper I use often is the cow print one I have because it is just so cute!

our power went out for a few hours this morning. I hate getting dressed in the dark. we have candles, but I miss the hurricane lanterns we had growing up.

#150 of 407 Old 04-05-2011, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

I thought of Jackson but it makes me think of a certain famous person that I cannot stand so that's out. One of these days I'll actually send a list to my dh. lol.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page