The Whatever Ladies Graduate! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 407 Old 03-26-2011, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, guys. This thread is for all of us ladies who were active on the Whatevering thread in the Family Planning Forum who are now pregnant.

Let's get this group going so we can keep in touch.

Here's the EDD list for everyone who's joined so far (We're still missing a couple of people but I don't know if they'll come. Anyone want to egg them on?)

lyeterae ~ Baby boy born February 2011
annie ~ Baby girl born April 7, 2011

Barefootscientist ~ 6/2
AnnieA ~ 7/2
MarineWife ~ 7/30
MovingMomma ~ 8/9
Baby_Cakes ~ 8/16
akind1 ~ 9/28
jeninejessica ~ 12/1
Kindermama ~ 1/6

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#2 of 407 Old 03-26-2011, 08:13 AM

Thanks for starting the new thread MW!

JJ: The cramping at this stage is totally normal. I had cramping through most of the first trimester. In fact there were days that I had so much cramping that I would have been worried about an ectopic pregnancy except I had already had a couple of ultrasounds and determined that the baby was implanted properly.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#3 of 407 Old 03-26-2011, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

And once the cramping stops you start getting sharp, round ligament pain, which can be even scarier. Lately, I've been getting this sort of zingy, twingy feelings in my stomach right where baby is when I sit up from laying sometimes. It's hard to describe what it feels like. Kind of like a very, very mild electrical shock or maybe a nerve being pinched but not in a painful way. Oh, maybe sort of like when you hit your funny bone but not painful. That sort of zingy feeling. Weird, huh? It always freaks me out because it's right on top of baby and I'm afraid I've bent or wrenched baby in some weird way and have hurt him. My MW assures me that he is well insulated in the amniotic sac.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#4 of 407 Old 03-26-2011, 10:15 AM

Oh it's weird, I mean I know it's normal, and I try to remind myself it's the baby burrowing nice and deep, and setting up a nice home, but it's still a little nerve wracking this early on, you know?

Took another test this mroning, and even though it looked like it was going to be invalid, it ended up being nice and darker than the others. I have about 5 tests left, so I'm just going to keep taking one every few days. They'll all expire before I get a chance to use them again, so I figure I might as well enjoy the nice darkening lines.

IMGP1151.JPG

They work their way top down... The first two were taken on the same day, 13dpo, and then the next at 14dpo. Then the last this morning at 16dpo. The top two seemed like they lightened, but at least they still show up on photo!

Anyways, time to haead out grocery shopping. I'll be back later I'm sure!

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#5 of 407 Old 03-26-2011, 10:34 AM

Yay for dark lines! Love those pics JJ! Thanks for sharing. I know the cramping can be very nerve-wracking. Just remember that unless you see evidence to the contrary, your baby is fine. You have a baby in your belly JJ! Yayayayayay!

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#6 of 407 Old 03-26-2011, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

JJ ~ Those are nice, dark lines! joy.gif

#7 of 407 Old 03-26-2011, 01:17 PM

Well I've officially been "intaked" at all four midwife offices in the city. Apparently I should hear back from them within two weeks. And if I don't get in... ugh... then I start convincing DH to go unassisted. lol

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#8 of 407 Old 03-26-2011, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

JJ ~ Do the MWs there do home births?

#9 of 407 Old 03-26-2011, 02:12 PM

Super dark lines, JJ!!  I'm so glad you waited it out and didn't have to deal with squinters!! joy.gif

MW, I think I've also felt those zaps you're talking about.  Oh, and don't get me started on the round ligament pains!!  They are so crippling and annoying!!  Oh, and thanks for the thread.  Awesome idea!  We'll surely keep it going now!!

I'm still just so incredibly over the moon for you, JJ!! luxlove.gif

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#10 of 407 Old 03-26-2011, 04:55 PM

Yes they do homebirths, and as of this spring sometime our very first birth centre in the city should be open too. I'm very excited about that in principle for the city, but I'm very very very dedicated to a homebirth, so we'll see. I have no pre-existing reason to be risked out of care, or of a homebirth, it's just still nervous that somehow I won't be able to.

And yes, I'm very glad that there was no squinting. I was in total amazement when I looked over at the test and it was just... there- BOOM. I pretty much fell on my butt on the floor, I just didn't expect it to be there, let alone to nice and bright. So worth it. And now to see it getting darker is exciting too.

#11 of 407 Old 03-26-2011, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

JJ ~ That's wonderful that they attend home births.

#12 of 407 Old 03-26-2011, 05:33 PM

I know. We're very lucky in this city... midwifery care is not only completely covered with our provincial health insurance (so absolutely nada out of pocket), but the province in general does support homebirth. Now, the hospitals... not so much, they're not as supportive, and certainly more filled with misinformation about how homebirth will kill your baby, etc etc. But... people keep pushing and the province keeps supporting our efforts to expland the natural birth community. The birth centre is a huge step, and it will be one of the first few n the country of it's kind. Very exciting.

The only problem is that the province can't seem to hire enough midwives... you can't train for it here, you have to go elsewhere, so I think they just don't have enough people returning back home here. At any given time the city has two or more full time midwife positions listed... it just seems like they can't fill them, which is so so sad. Basically if you don't call the second you get your BFP, want a homebirth, and have no risk facotrs, you can't get midwifery care... because they have so many options to choose from, they can turn down anyone they like, and still have a surplus of clients.

I keep thinking of all the things we need to do in the next few months. Ugh. We have a whole basement renovation to complete. Time to get busy!! The will-be baby's room is currently our office, which will be moving downstairs once we've finished the renos.

#13 of 407 Old 03-27-2011, 05:45 AM

JJ - are you guys still going to take a vacation?  LOL!  That was our plan and our trip to aruba got indefinitely postponed, ha!

This morning before anyone else was up, I woke up and baby was moving all around.  So, I lay on my back for a bit and put my hand on my belly, and felt a few good thumps and kicks.  So, sweet, just me and him awake.

I'm also a sucker for a sale.  carter's is having a 50% off sale, and some of the outfits are like $6-$10 for a complete set.  I think I might buy this one:

http://www.carters.com/carters/Little-Brother-4-Piece-Set-with-Cap/V_121-435,default,pd.html?dwvar_V__121-435_color=LightBlue&start=7&navid=carters-search

I have like $40 worth of stuff in my cart!! LOL!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#14 of 407 Old 03-27-2011, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Uh oh. You shouldn't have told me about the sale. Do they have hooded towels? Those things are hard to come by and are expensive.

#15 of 407 Old 03-27-2011, 07:17 AM

They do!!!

http://www.carters.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Carters-Site/default/Search-Show?cgid=carters&q=towels&simplesearch=Go

#16 of 407 Old 03-27-2011, 08:54 AM

No guys no!! You can't have me buying more things!!  We've been waiting so long (and by this I mean before we were trying, before we were ready...) that I've just been slowly collecting thigns along the way. I have several large rubbermaid totes in the basement with misc baby things. I need to wait at least a few months in before I start shopping again!! You can't tell me about sales!

The trip is probably a no go... but it was heading that way already. I was very adament that a trip was going to be a way to celebrate getting in shape, and that I only wanted to go once I got ym body back in shape... and it just wasn't happening, thus n trip. Last time we went I realized that it really affected how much I enjoyed myself because I was constantly tryingt o suck in my stomach, ro lie the right way so it didn't pudge, etc etc. I didn't want to do that for another trip.

#17 of 407 Old 03-27-2011, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Enabler!

#18 of 407 Old 03-27-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post
The trip is probably a no go... but it was heading that way already. I was very adament that a trip was going to be a way to celebrate getting in shape, and that I only wanted to go once I got ym body back in shape... and it just wasn't happening, thus n trip. Last time we went I realized that it really affected how much I enjoyed myself because I was constantly tryingt o suck in my stomach, ro lie the right way so it didn't pudge, etc etc. I didn't want to do that for another trip.

I hear you on this!  Apart from cost, that was the big reason I didn't want to waste a trip to Aruba!  I figure a year and a half or so after baby is born, I'll be back in fighting shape and ready to really tone up and get ready for a vacation.  I would love to take DD and DS (OMG it feels so weird to type DS) on a tropical vacay once they're a little older.  Puerto Rico was awesome when DD was 18 months old and I looked the best I ever looked (go figure).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

Enabler!

Yes, indeed!  I think the sale ends today so I'm taking one last look around before I checkout.  I got a few cute sleep n' play outfits, the little brother set, and a little short sleeved romper with turtles.  Good enough.  I don't want to buy too much b/c I know the first few months, I don't really go anywhere and want to save and buy cuter stuff for fall and winter (and those things aren't out yet).

#19 of 407 Old 03-27-2011, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Getting back in shape. Ugh! Maybe in 5 years or so. I've kept the extra 15-20 lbs I gained from when I was pg with ds2. I just don't have the time or energy to exercise or worry about what I'm eating.

#20 of 407 Old 03-27-2011, 02:38 PM

If it works the way it did the first time for me, I'll lose the weight thru nursing and moderate activity.  I never got back into a workout routine after DD, but was below my prepreg weight and looked much more fit than ever before before she turned one.  I'm hoping I can rely on that again.  I'm also hoping and trying not to gain as much this time around.  Again, good intentions, but we'll see.  I'm older now so it might be different.

Carters order submitted!  Cant wait for my fluffy mail to come!!

#21 of 407 Old 03-27-2011, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, that doesn't work for me anymore. I didn't have much trouble losing the extra weight after ds1 when I was only 21. After having ds2 at 34, I had to work a little harder and didn't get back to my pre-pg hardcore workout shape but I got back to a good weight and felt good about the shape I was in. After ds3 at 37, no such luck. I need to have the time to really exercise. I've given up on any kind of nutritional plan/dieting. Tracking what I eat all the time is just not my thing anymore. I want to be able to enjoy eating as much as possible without constantly thinking about calories and fat and carbs. Bleh! I usually love to exercise but it's so hard to find the time and energy when I spend most of my time doing everything for everyone else. When I do finally get some free time I just want to sit. I don't know if the harder weight loss is from age (there's a big difference between 20 and 40) or from having more than one kid.

I think I'm going to gain about the same amount this time, 30 lbs. That's what I gained with my 3 boys. That's not bad weight gain. The difference is the weight I'm starting at.

#22 of 407 Old 03-27-2011, 02:58 PM

I'd be happy with 30 lbs!  At the rate I'm going I'm looking at more like 40.  I'll still take 40 over the 65 I gained with DD!  Haha!

#23 of 407 Old 03-27-2011, 03:11 PM

Ladies! joy.gif I believe I know you all! I think I must have missed a couple other threads but I would like to join in too.

Congratulations to jeninejessica! joy.gif And I think I already congratulated the rest of you, but just in case, congrats to everyone! thumb.gif

I'm 30 weeks and nesting like crazy.

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#24 of 407 Old 03-27-2011, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, BFS! Great to see you!

#25 of 407 Old 03-27-2011, 05:04 PM

BFS!!  Hi!!  Wow, 30 weeks -- home stretch!  Good to see you!! joy.gif

#26 of 407 Old 03-27-2011, 07:44 PM

Oooh fluffy mail. I won't be getting much fluffy mail... literally with what I need for the first few weeks, I don't need to buy anything else. I know we'll get gifts from others, and our baby will be about 6 months behind the next youngest in the family, so we should have some good hand me downs there. I'll need to keep tight control on my shopping so we don't nd up with a lot of never-used items. Even diapers as fluff, which I've been MOST excited about, I'm set for the 'small' stage... I just need I think a pack of prefolds and a few covers for the newboprn stage... and then a few large dipes. So again... not much to buy there either. Everything we need to buy for the most part are the big things-- the crib, stroller, car seat, pack and play, etc. Those won't really be mail items, espeically since we'll probably buy everything except the car seat on a trip down to the states.

I'm hoping to get in shape a bit this spring/summer. I always feel guilty that we don't give our puppy enough exercise, so especially with the pregnancy I want to work really hard to try to go on nice long walks 5 days or so a week. That will help with toning my legs and helping my cardio, which sucks right now. Then once baby comes, I've got a few months to recover, and then can take advantage of the mundo-stroller I want and start jogging. I'm already seeing myself eating a lot healthier during the pregnancy, especially with DH watching every move, so I'm hoping to keep the weight gain to around that 30lb mark. My mother gained all her weight only in her belly with all four pregnancies, so I'm hoping to carry on the tradition!

#27 of 407 Old 03-28-2011, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

Hey, should we start a due date list in the first post? I didn't list names when I set up this thread because I was waiting to see who would join. We could just list people by month or we could put our actual EDDs.

JJ ~ I know it's fun to buy all the stuff for the first baby but there are a lot of things that you really do not need that end up being a complete waste of money. IME, a pack and play is one of them. For the cost, it's just not worth it. They are a serious PITA to pack up and take with. They don't fit through standard sized inside doorways. If you are going to get the stuff 2nd hand at yard sales and such, it wouldn't be such a waste but brand new I wouldn't bother. I think you all know that I think a crib is a waste of money, too. But if you aren't committed to co-sleeping 100% of the time, I understand the desire to get one. I had a crib for ds1 but only used for the first few weeks. Once I realized I could nurse while sleeping that was that. We got a crib for ds2. Never used it. I tried an Amby bed. He hated it! I'll sell it, btw, if anyone knows anyone who wants it. We didn't bother with a crib for ds3. He has always slept in our bed or his.

Swings and those activity seat thingies that babies can stand up in (just like walkers but without the wheels) and walkers and bouncie seats and all of that gear are not really worth the cost brand new. I might look around for a few of those things 2nd hand because I did find it nice to have a place to set baby sometimes. Most times, though, none of mine liked to be in them for long. I think that unless you are planning to put your baby in those things and leave them even if they cry and want to get out, they just aren't worth it. They are very useful for parents who also use playpens and cribs to contain their babies all the time, which I think is very sad.

I think the only gear that's really needed is a car seat, a stroller and a soft baby carrier like a pouch, ring sling or mei tai. As a matter of fact, even though I have at least one of each of those plus a wrap, I've been thinking about getting an Ergo or Sutemi. They are expensive but they look relatively easy and might be easier on my back when baby gets bigger. I have back problems/constant pain so I can't carry a heavy baby for long in a ring sling or pouch. The mei tai is better but the ties are really long and get in the way and I found the wrap to be a serious PITA even though I know how to use it. It's just not my style. Doesn't go with my outfits. winky.gif After 4-6 months you'll probably want a high chair so baby can sit with you at the table while you eat. I like that they make them reclining now so baby doesn't have to be able to completely sit up. Not for eating purposes but just so baby can be included at the dinner table. Oh, and changing tables. I'd pass on that, too, and just get a dresser with a lot of drawers and put a changing pad on it for changing baby.

That's my 2 cents worth, which I think I've given several times on this subject so I'll try to shut up about it now.

#28 of 407 Old 03-28-2011, 05:22 AM

JJ - I could just go back and see if you posted it, but I'm being lazy -- what is your EDD again?  I think it's pretty cool that you don't need to buy much.  Plus, you'll probably get a shower, right?

I, on the other hand, do need fluffy stuff!  I think DD has a handful of neutral sleepers and of course white onesies, but they're mostly if not all long sleeved and this babe is coming in the dead heat of summer.  So, I'm using that to my advantage.  Sheepish.gif

I'm not going too crazy by my standards but already DH is kinda looking at the CC bill like, "What did you order from XYZ?  How many outfits??"  Haha.  Men.  

I'm thinking about skipping nb cloth.  I know, I'm bad.  But I feel like what if I buy even 5 nb dipes and this baby comes out at almost 8 or 9 lbs?  I'll only use them for a few weeks!  I can't justify the cost.  I just can't!  And I'm just a wussy part time cd'er anyway.

#29 of 407 Old 03-28-2011, 05:33 AM

A due date list might be fun. Mine is 6/2, expecting to go a little early.

I have all the absolute need-at-first essentials bought (or ordered and on the way) as of last week! Even the carseat. I do need a few more big things - a stroller, high chair, and I AM planning on getting a pack-n-play with a bassinet this time INSTEAD of a crib. winky.gif I would like somewhere for the baby to be able to put down, even though he/she will probably sleep in our bed most of the time. I am not buying any clothes, because I really want to buy pink stuff (secretly kinda hoping for a girl) but I don't know yet! I've actually bought some pinkish stuff like receiving blankets and one pink diaper, because DS has helped me pick them out and he likes pink! LOL And I haven't discouraged him winky.gif I figure the baby won't care. But anyway, I have some boyish and some neutral clothing left over from DS, which the baby can wear regardless, and then I'm sure once people know the sex, the clothing gifts will start flooding in.

Speaking of girl/boy, MW, I forget when are you due? Do you know girl or boy yet, or are you finding out? orngbiggrin.gif It seems like everyone I know who is pregnant and knows what they are having is having a boy.

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#30 of 407 Old 03-28-2011, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Carrie ~ Have you checked out The Children's Place? They have been having continual sales and have some cute stuff, too. It's been really hard for me to not buy stuff for ds3. He has plenty of almost brand new looking hand me downs from his big bro.

I skip NB dipes. I've been skipping making NB soakers, too. Smalls should work just fine for me. My babes have been 7/11, 8/7 and 9/8, respectively, so I'm going with the assumption that this one is going to be at least 9 lbs., too. I asked around a bit and diaper makers seem to think that even with a larger baby, NB dipes fit better at first because their legs aren'ts as chunky/filled out but it seems like a complete waste to me to spend money on dipes that will only be used for a couple of weeks, especially when it's so hard to resell them these days. Maybe some of the smaller prefolds (I can't remember the size right now. Is it infant or is there a smaller size, not preemie/NB?) jic would be worth it because those can always be used as doublers/stuffers, burp cloths, cleaning rags later. But...I've got a ton of the medium sized prefolds that I can just fold down to put on a newborn so, again, I don't really need any. I've actually been trying to go for the one-size dipes as much as possible this time to try to save some money. I don't need much. Just a few to replace ones that have worn out or I passed along and can't get back.

I found the cutest pattern for a wool soaker type onesie yesterday. I can't wait to make it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page