Looking for reviews of childbirth classes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 03-26-2011, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm trying to figure out which birth class (or classes) to take and I was hoping there's some sort of comprehensive guide out there to help me decide. The class I took at the birth center with my first was a total waste of time and money.

So far I think I'm most interested in Brio and possibly Hypnobirthing and Birthing from Within (though I've heard both of those can be done without a formal class).

~Sarah

treehugger.gif  trekkie.gifcat.gifcarrot.gif
Mom to Vala ribboncesarean.gif 5/09, Anya hbac.gif 11/11, & one on the way 12/13

Check out my blog- http://healingcesareanscars.blogspot.com/

#2 of 18 Old 03-26-2011, 07:32 PM

We took Bradley classes with DS and loved them! I've heard that our instructor added a lot of helpful info, though. This time around, I have a HynoBabies home study course. I'm really really liking it so far. It seems to borrow heavily from Bradley. In fact, the lady who wrote the intro is a former Bradley instructor who says she gained a "wealth of information" from the method. There's a local gal who teaches BabyBodyBirth and I've seen the materials she hands out, but not taken her class. The information was excellent there, as well. That's all I have experience with, not sure if it's helpful.

BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
#3 of 18 Old 03-28-2011, 07:14 AM

I'm doing hypnobirthing and am quite enjoying it.  I bought the book and the rainbow relaxation CD early in pregnancy and read the book.  I listen to the CD of affirmations and relaxation multiple times a week, going to sleep.

Our class is a four session (2 hr each) class for $200 (which I think is a steal.)  We happened to be the only ones who signed up for the class this go round so we are working directly with the teacher which is a huge blessing.

Throughout pregnancy I've been way more involved in birth planning and reading - I think this is natural.  The class has been a helpful way to get DH involved.  The class is an hour away one way, so not only do we have the sessions but we have the drives to and from to talk.  It's been a good inspiration for him to get involved and now he's able to relax me deeply even without using scripts.  Last night I was feeling crappy and disgruntled that I hadn't been able to get much done yesterday, just didn't feel up to it.  He totally got me all snuggly and relaxed and sent me off to sleep quickly.  

We are NOT really using the exercises in the book.  We're using rainbow relaxation script revised and some photocopies out of hte book Mind over Labor which our teacher lent us.  I'm really happy with the results and the price, but I believed in this method (partner led hypnosis/deep relaxation) from the beginning.  We haven't gotten a ton of this is how labor works etc.  We did a great fear release exercise last week.  Hope that helps!

Anna, married to my soulmate and expecting #1 in May 2011.... 3 kitties
#4 of 18 Old 03-28-2011, 12:11 PM

We're 1/2 through a Brio class, and really love it. My DH esp is finding it really helpful, and it helps me relax knowing he's familiar with everything when the time comes. We're doing a natural hospital birth, and it's also very helpful in empowering us with knowledge.

#5 of 18 Old 04-01-2011, 06:43 AM

I've liked our Bradley method class so far, although I do spot some misinformation about drugs in the course material (I'm a pharmacy student) but not enough to invalidate or overwhelm the overall point of the class. It's geared towards getting a husband/partner and pregnant mom ready to work together in labor, and my concern going in was that my husband wouldn't know enough and would let himself be silenced/intimidated. I think it's helping; he's really learning a lot (more than me, but I am also learning stuff) and being able to talk over the material together is good.

#6 of 18 Old 04-01-2011, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I did hypnobirthing with #2, and plan on it again for #3. I LOVED it! I had a completely PAINLESS labor. I highly, highly recommend it.

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#7 of 18 Old 04-02-2011, 11:56 AM

I did hypnobirthing and did not have a painless birth. I could not use it during the birth, I was kind of too alert. I could not let go. It was not too painfull, and I still had a all natural birth (in the hospital), and my DH thinks that it helped a lot to get me more relaxed about birth since I was really frightened after a very traumatic first delivery and really considered a scheduled c-section. The class gave me the security to try it myself and it was an all natural birth. Don´t know how much of this was the hypnobirthing...

Trin with DH , DD(7)  and DS(5) ,  DD(2) ,
I am not regularly online at the moment due to the above ...
#8 of 18 Old 04-02-2011, 09:03 PM

looked for a source that covered a variety of them, but they all seemed to lean toward a particular method.

fwiw, we loved our bradley classes.  had an amazing teacher (which helps, a lot).

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#9 of 18 Old 04-04-2011, 06:42 AM

I really think that which childbirth class is right for you depends on where you are giving birth and your personality/ personal coping mechanisms. I think Bradley is great for hospital births (which isnt to say it is not great for home or birth center births) because the coping techniques it teaches are easily implemented in the hospital. Hypnobirthing is great for the stoic woman- the woman who tends to look into herself for strength as opposed to looking to others. If you tend to get quiet and focused when dealing with stress then I would recommend hypnobirthing. I tell all my clients to read Birthing From Within but I dont know if you need a class for it- I agree that self-study is sufficient.

#10 of 18 Old 04-04-2011, 01:59 PM

We took the Bradley Classes and had ourselves a fantastic homebirth in water.  I remember my DH and I saying... "we could take the book and study ourselves" but looking back... it was really positive to have those weekly classes... kept us in tune with a supportive community of others experiencing the same.  Our Bradley class had 4 couples.  We were the only homebirth, 2 hospital births and 1 free standing birth center.  All births were completely natural in different settings. 

I found that it was helpful to have the knowledge of laboring positions and giving my DH power to know what to expect, sort of say.... gave us both power.

I have had 3 friends go through the Hypnobirthing classes and each have mentioned that another class along with the Hypno classes would have been more beneficial. 

'09   
#11 of 18 Old 04-04-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantho View Post

I have had 3 friends go through the Hypnobirthing classes and each have mentioned that another class along with the Hypno classes would have been more beneficial. 

Oh, I'm glad to read this!  I'm planning on doing the Hypnobabies home study but I was thinking of also doing some sort of natural childbirth class.  DH doesn't want to hire a doula and I'm okay with that (I really really don't like people near/touching me beside DH) but it will be a hospital birth and I want him prepared to be an advocate.  I was a little worried the extra course might be a waste of time so it's great to know that others think it would have been beneficial.  I feel like I'm on the right track now.

Alexis, mom to DS 11/99 DD1 01/02 and DD2 09/23/11.
#12 of 18 Old 04-04-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtechmom View Post

Oh, I'm glad to read this!  I'm planning on doing the Hypnobabies home study but I was thinking of also doing some sort of natural childbirth class.  DH doesn't want to hire a doula and I'm okay with that (I really really don't like people near/touching me beside DH) but it will be a hospital birth and I want him prepared to be an advocate.  I was a little worried the extra course might be a waste of time so it's great to know that others think it would have been beneficial.  I feel like I'm on the right track now.

I am right there with you about others touching me.  The only folks at our birth was my DH, our MW, her appentice, our dog and cat.  My MW had an apprentice that really acted as a hands off doula which I initially wasn't down with... in hind site, glad she was there. 

Fantastic!  The Bradley Book is online at Amazon for about $30.   I would have gladly sent you mine to borrow but just gave it to a friend to do the same.  Our friends that are borrowing our book said their "hospital classes" had an Anesthesiologist come into their class and said "There are no ways around the discomfort of labor without drugs"....  

REALLY??? ......  I beg to differ. 

Love the pic vtechmom!

'09   
#13 of 18 Old 04-07-2011, 10:40 AM

I am starting a Brio class in a week and a half, and I cannot wait! I did a little research, but basically I chose the Brio because I already knew the teacher, and I think she is wonderful. (She has been teaching Bradley for a few years, and just switched to Brio. She says they are basically the same, but Brio is more up-to-date.)

Good luck!

#14 of 18 Old 04-07-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merbear0929 View Post

I am starting a Brio class in a week and a half, and I cannot wait! I did a little research, but basically I chose the Brio because I already knew the teacher, and I think she is wonderful. (She has been teaching Bradley for a few years, and just switched to Brio. She says they are basically the same, but Brio is more up-to-date.)

Good luck!

How is it more up to date?  Just curious.  Meaning the literature?  I remember my Bradley book (pictures and such) looking like it was published in the 80's.  Looking at the Brio website, looks a lot along the lines of Bradley. 

'09   
#15 of 18 Old 04-08-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:

How is it more up to date?  Just curious.  Meaning the literature?  I remember my Bradley book (pictures and such) looking like it was published in the 80's.  Looking at the Brio website, looks a lot along the lines of Bradley. 

Honestly, I am not sure. I think she was mostly referring to the literature. She said she really likes the Brio workbooks that the participants get. My teacher said she always added certain information on her own when she was teaching Bradley, and a lot of that is already included in Brio. I don't know the details though. Sorry I can't be more help! 

#16 of 18 Old 04-10-2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:

I am right there with you about others touching me.  The only folks at our birth was my DH, our MW, her appentice, our dog and cat.  My MW had an apprentice that really acted as a hands off doula which I initially wasn't down with... in hind site, glad she was there. 

Fantastic!  The Bradley Book is online at Amazon for about $30.   I would have gladly sent you mine to borrow but just gave it to a friend to do the same.  Our friends that are borrowing our book said their "hospital classes" had an Anesthesiologist come into their class and said "There are no ways around the discomfort of labor without drugs"....  

REALLY??? ......  I beg to differ. 

Love the pic vtechmom!

I too beg to differ.  My sister had what she calls a partial natural birth.  She labored naturally, but after pushing for 4 hours straight, her muscles froze, so she had to have a muscle relaxant in order for the doctor to allow her to push longer.  Without the muscle relaxant, she would have had to have a C-section.  Becky's labor was only 2 hours, but the pushing stage lasted over 5 hours. 

I think that the anesthesiologist that was at your friends's class was not very informed of natural birth.  After talking to several nice ladies on this site, I now have confidence that I can have a natural birth when I become pregnant, whether that be at home or in a hospital.  I plan on just having my friend Gerri helping me through labor.  She said that she'd do reflexology, reiki, counter pressure, massage, Bach flower essences, and anything else to make my labor as comfortable as possible.

Jessie

#17 of 18 Old 04-10-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briannas auntie View Post

I too beg to differ.  My sister had what she calls a partial natural birth.  She labored naturally, but after pushing for 4 hours straight, her muscles froze, so she had to have a muscle relaxant in order for the doctor to allow her to push longer.  Without the muscle relaxant, she would have had to have a C-section.  Becky's labor was only 2 hours, but the pushing stage lasted over 5 hours. 

I think that the anesthesiologist that was at your friends's class was not very informed of natural birth.  After talking to several nice ladies on this site, I now have confidence that I can have a natural birth when I become pregnant, whether that be at home or in a hospital.  I plan on just having my friend Gerri helping me through labor.  She said that she'd do reflexology, reiki, counter pressure, massage, Bach flower essences, and anything else to make my labor as comfortable as possible.

Jessie

Fantastic!  Glad to hear you have great support! 

I have to say... there are a few folks around me these days that are pregnant (planning hospital births) and a couple that have had hospital births already and apparently, if you are a vaginal birther... even with drugs.... that is considered a "natural birth" theses days..   Really?  Interesting...

'09   
#18 of 18 Old 04-10-2011, 03:42 PM

I would agree that it depends a lot on the instructor as well as the type of birth you are planning to have.  I was planning a homebirth but ended up at the hospital.  I had taken Hypnobabies and feel that it definitely helped me to relax and be able to accept the changing circumstances.  I had learned information in the class about hospital birth and felt I was able to make informed choices.  I didn't look like the Zen Hypnobabies woman on her birthing ball birthing silently leaning over the bed but I also wasn't screaming or asking for meds.  I was just very active during labor and vocal while pushing.  It definitely helped my husband be more involved in the pregnancy/birthing process and he was an amazing support.  I know he felt much more prepared after taking the course.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page