Placenta Previa - Alternative Treatments - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 03-30-2011, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've edited my post to more accurately reflect what I am asking:

I've been browsing the many previa threads, and in some I've seen mention of a few alternate therapies that may or may not have a positive impact on previa.  Some of the things I've seen mentioned are:

homeopathy

-cinnamomum

Chinese herbs

sabina

previa tincture (something from someone's midwife)

accupuncture

prenatal yoga

weight gain

Does anyone have any additional info on these therapies in relation to previa?  Links to sites or existing threads that I have not yet come across?  I have seen these things mentioned several times, but not any additional information.

Married to DH partners.gif since 2007. Mommy to babyboy.gif 7/2011.  We bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif.

#2 of 14 Old 03-30-2011, 07:15 PM

I don't have any links or anything, but I can't figure out how any of those things would help with placenta previa. Basically, you just have to hope that as the uterus stretches out, the placenta will move away from the cervix. Which is very likely - I don't know the stat off hand, but I believe it's the great majority of 20 W placenta previas are no longer an issue by the time of birth. But if it is really RIGHT over the cervix, I really don't think there is anything you can do to get it to move up. It's not like it can detach and move, ya know?

I think the only thing you can do is a) try not to worry, b) follow any recommendations for rest your provider gives you, and c) keep a close watch on any bleeding to prevent problems with the baby. And then get another scan later (and another, if the 28 week one shows it is moving up but still an issue).

hug2.gif Best wishes for yours to not be an issue in 8 weeks!

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#3 of 14 Old 03-31-2011, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Barefoot.  However, I am fully aware of all that you posted.  The reason I started this thread is because all of the things I listed in the OP are things that I have seen mentioned more than once in the many other previa threads, but without any additional information...... which is why I'm looking for additional information on them!

Married to DH partners.gif since 2007. Mommy to babyboy.gif 7/2011.  We bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif.

#4 of 14 Old 03-31-2011, 05:53 AM

Sorry I couldn't help then!

I hope you find what you're looking for. thumb.gif

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#5 of 14 Old 03-31-2011, 09:01 AM

I'd really like to keep this thread on the board so please remember:

Quote:
Through your direct or indirect participation here you agree to make a personal effort to maintain a comfortable and respectful atmosphere for our guests and members.

Thank you. 

#6 of 14 Old 03-31-2011, 11:25 AM

I'm really interested in this thread. For some reason previa is my number one fear this time. Not sure why. It's still super early, but I'd love to read up on alternatives now.

~Sarah

treehugger.gif  trekkie.gifcat.gifcarrot.gif
Mom to Vala ribboncesarean.gif 5/09, Anya hbac.gif 11/11, & one on the way 12/13

Check out my blog- http://healingcesareanscars.blogspot.com/

#7 of 14 Old 04-05-2011, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)

Sitting back and waiting really is the best you can do.  Sorry. 

As your pregnancy progresses, uterine growth will result in increased distance between the placental implantation site and the cervix.  This is why so many previas clear up on their own.  Weight gain alone won't make any difference, only uterine growth.

I had placenta previa, and I've done considerable research on it.  The rest of the things on your list are exactly as effective as doing nothing, but if they make you feel better, there's no harm, and I'm a big fan of feeling better.  Make sure that your yoga instructor and acupuncturist are aware of your condition.  Avoid any herbs or pressure points that may induce contractions, and also check to make sure that you aren't taking any blood thinners.

#8 of 14 Old 07-02-2012, 11:27 AM

How can you say that? "There is absolutely nothing you can do"? There is no way you can say with absolute certainty that there is nothing that can be done to help. There are so many unknown factors that contribute to how each of our bodies work, and whether it works, or just "makes me feel better" I'd rather be doing something rather than nothing.

Miracles happen every day that modern medicine can't explain. Why would you rely on modern medicine that is proved wrong all the time, and is no where NEAR as knowledgeable as they think, to tell you that it's all left up to chance. Just because they haven't found a definite help doesn't mean that there isn't one, or something that will help some women. 

mkat83, I hope you followed your own instincts for what is safe and/or helpful for you and yours. I know this thread is old, but I felt I needed to speak my piece. 

ps. I understand placenta previa, and I understand logically why it seems that waiting, and uterine growth are the only answers. I've just seen too many things in life and pregnancy/childbirth that contradict what "should" have happened. 

Good luck to all in their journey of discovery. :)

#9 of 14 Old 07-02-2012, 02:06 PM

Personally, I don't believe in miracles AT ALL. I mean, do whatever tickles your pickle, but there's no way I'd ever subscribe to magical thinking. 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#10 of 14 Old 07-02-2012, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If you have the money and doing all those things listed about makes you feel better, by all means, do them. I would find out what is in any herbal medication.

If you do not have time or money to spare but you believe in miracles, prayer is free and available at home.

There are no physiological or anatomical reasons for any of the listed thing to work. Not an iota of scientific plausibility.

Time and patience.

I was told I had placenta preview with my second child, but, just like it happens in many cases, it resolved itself by 29th week.

#11 of 14 Old 07-03-2012, 10:51 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I had a complete previa at 20w with my last and everyone from the conservative OB to the hospital midwife to the herb-loving vbac twins hombirthing midwife told me absolutely nothing would move a previa except time. The last told me that she could refer me to several people who claimed to know how to fix previas but they were all quacks.

And it did move. Maybe around 28w.

All three of them agreed that a chiro can sometimes flip a breech and all three referred me to the same person who did, in fact flip my breech baby.

#12 of 14 Old 07-03-2012, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellieMama View Post

How can you say that? "There is absolutely nothing you can do"? There is no way you can say with absolute certainty that there is nothing that can be done to help. There are so many unknown factors that contribute to how each of our bodies work, and whether it works, or just "makes me feel better" I'd rather be doing something rather than nothing.

Miracles happen every day that modern medicine can't explain. Why would you rely on modern medicine that is proved wrong all the time, and is no where NEAR as knowledgeable as they think, to tell you that it's all left up to chance. Just because they haven't found a definite help doesn't mean that there isn't one, or something that will help some women. 

mkat83, I hope you followed your own instincts for what is safe and/or helpful for you and yours. I know this thread is old, but I felt I needed to speak my piece. 

ps. I understand placenta previa, and I understand logically why it seems that waiting, and uterine growth are the only answers. I've just seen too many things in life and pregnancy/childbirth that contradict what "should" have happened. 

Good luck to all in their journey of discovery. :)

How can I say that there's nothing you can do?

Well, first, I didn't say that.  I said that sitting back and waiting is the best you can do.  And then I said that the OP's list of possible "treatments" might make her feel better, and that so long as she took certain precautions (because placenta previa really must be approached with caution), there was no reason not to do those things.  By all means, feel better.  We appear to agree there.

The fact of the matter is that the VAST majority of cases of placenta previa go away - on their own, no yoga or herbs or anything - before delivery. You can follow logic and put your feet up, or you can pray to be part of the statistical majority.  But I have not yet seen a suggested treatment with ANY scientific basis whatsoever, and the "success rate" of these treatments is suspiciously identical to the success rate of keeping your feet up and your money in your wallet.  I refuse to help anyone sell anything that has no observable utility.

I think it also has to be noted that modern medicine is very, very good at safely delivering babies in those cases where placenta previa persists into the late third trimester.  Women with placenta previa are, in my opinion, best served by well-trained doctors in highly-equipped hospital facilities, with ample supplies of blood, and high-level NICUs on hand.  Placenta previa affects about 1 in 200 deliveries in the US, and the safety of the women and babies involved in those deliveries is a miracle, worked through the dedication of obstetrical researchers and the generosity of charitable foundations and the people who donated to them to support that research.  My faith lies in the miracle I experienced, which happens to be a miracle I can reliably direct other women in how to obtain.

Alenushka likes this.
#13 of 14 Old 07-03-2012, 06:20 PM

I disagree that there is nothing you can do.  I think that eating a healthy diet, gaining an adequate amount of weight, maintaining adequate amounts of certain nutrients (iron, vitamin D, vitamin c, protein, calcium, magnesium. adequate blood volume and salt intake), etc. all will promote proper and adequate uterine growth, and a healthy placenta, which is your best bet for moving the placenta off the cervix.

Of course, I could be wrong and it could all be chance, but my general feeling is that healthy eating and getting enough nutrients does play a role in uterine growth and certainly doing that could only help any pregnancy overall.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#14 of 14 Old 07-06-2012, 04:57 PM

The anatomical and physiologic realities are what they are. The placenta will preferentially grow towards the top of the uterus because the blood supply is richer there. That is good news. Unless the placenta was unlucky enough to implant symmetrically over the cervix the previa will resolve with time. I have seen charlatans in my city take advantage of women with placenta previa offering expensive remedies that have no basis in science. When the previa resolves (as it would have anyways), they take the credit (and the money).

My advice is that if you are going to try one of these things there are two important rules, it must be safe and inexpensive. If these rules are applied then not much is lost in the trying.

Placenta Previa Information

Alenushka likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page