Baby in the Bajingo ~ TTC #1 In Our 30's Graduates ~ Spring 2011 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 167 Old 04-03-2011, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

thumb.gif Welcome Bajingo Juice Club Graduates! thumb.gif

This thread is an extension of TTC #1 In Our 30's.

We are the ladies of the BJC who have gotten our BFPs.

All due dates are welcome.

Are you pregnant, in your 30's, and weren't involved in the BJC?  Welcome and please join us!

Let's keep in touch during our pregnancy journeys.

The more the merrier!

Due July 2011:

26 ~ LivingSky, BFP after 7 months, expecting a boy!

31 ~ meander, BFP after 13 months and 2 m/c, expecting a boy!

Due August 2011:

04 ~ Tear78, BFP through IVF after 2.5 years and 3 losses, expecting a girl!

Due September 2011:

27 ~ ValH, 31, BFP after 13 cycles, expecting a boy!

Due October 2011:

30 ~ Hykue, BFP after 4 (spread out) months trying and one miscarriage

31 ~ tank, 29, BFP after 16 months, expecting a boy!

Due November 2011:

17 ~ cristinimartini, 30, BFP after 4 months of trying (2 of charting)

21 ~ birdie.lee, 31, BFP after 12 months, expecting a delivery surprise!

Congratulations 2011 Mamas!

Blanca78, Elonwy

#2 of 167 Old 04-03-2011, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

#3 of 167 Old 04-04-2011, 04:59 AM

Birdie - Great idea!!  Please add me - due September 27, 2011; BFP after 13 cycles of trying at age 31. 

Valerie - Happily married to DH since 09/08 love.gif

Baby Jacob's finally here!!  10/4/11  babyboy.gif

#4 of 167 Old 04-04-2011, 05:16 AM

Hi BJC Ladies!!!

Birdie, thanks for starting this thread! And Val, thank you for sending me the link to it...

You can add me to the list! EDD: 11/17/11; BFP after approx. 4 months of trying (2 of charting). EDIT: Forgot to add that I'm 30 now, 31 at delivery.

I'm 7w4d today and I had to break down this weekend and buy a belly band and two "maternity tanks" in addition to pants that are two sizes up from my usual size. According to my first official prenatal appointment on Friday, I've only gained one pound from my visit a month before. I feel like I'm 20 pounds heavier though. I also have this neurotic thought that everyone can tell I'm preggo now. I don't mind at all...I just can't let the people at work find out yet!

Can I ask you ladies a question? Are you getting the NT scan? I initially signed the paperwork to NOT get one and my doctor cocked his head at that and said "Oh! You're NOT getting the scan?" like I was some kind of freak for saying no. I told him I didn't have any family history and I didn't think I needed it. He said "those are the people that SHOULD get the scan". So I was consufed...but I ended up re-signing the paperwork and opted for the scan and genetic counseling. I'm nervous already. It's also scheduled for Friday, May 13th! The only good thing is, I'll get to see the baby again! Otherwise I wouldn't have another u/s until 20 weeks.

Hope you all are doing well!!!

#5 of 167 Old 04-04-2011, 06:47 AM

So wanted to say good idea for the thread Birdie.

Hope to be in here soon and happy XX months to all!

-Us partners.gif, Himbabyf.gifnocirc.gif and her dog2.gif 

#6 of 167 Old 04-04-2011, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

#7 of 167 Old 04-04-2011, 09:28 AM

Thanks for the thread, birdie! (And Val, thanks for the heads up!)

My general info: BFP after 13 months and 2 m/c, due 7/31/11 'officially'

cristini: Here's more info than you could possibly want. I have trouble stopping typing when I get going! I did the NT scan--but I'm 38, so rather higher risk factors from age alone, with 2 m/c in a row and I had had some severe bleeding early on so this pregnancy was classified as 'threatened' too. I was completely convinced something was going to go wrong again, so part of the reason I wanted the scan was to make sure things really were going okay in there...it did wonders for my peace of mind. The genetic counseling was sort of useful, in that it helped to get both DH and I together and piece together ALL the family history with someone who could ask the right questions. The extended u/s on a better machine was just awesome....I was honestly shocked at how personlike he looked at 12w. Lovely profile and everything. If it's stressing you more to think about getting it than not, then I would totally opt out. Ditto if you would feel more worried by an ambiguous result, the wait for the results, or just if dealing with statistics rather than actual facts makes you crazy. A lot of women get some serious stress involved when they get a 'positive' result, too...which may be something like 1 in 200 risk...and fret constantly until they get amnio results which are, 199 times out of 200, totally normal. Only you know how you'd take that! Also, ask your doctor to make sure insurance will cover it for you. Not all companies are the same, and yours may be much less stingy, but mine required either that I be over 35 or have a pressing medical reason for the scan. It would have been about $600 for me out of pocket.

(edited for tragic lack of paragraphs)

Mama to Alaric, my beautiful rainbow1284.gif -- born 4 weeks early on 7/3/11 at 7lb4oz.

#8 of 167 Old 04-04-2011, 09:45 AM

Hey ladies

EDD Oct 31st after 16 months of trying.  I'm 29.

I am not getting any of the genetic testing done.  My midwife told me because of our family histories that we don't have a huge reason to test and when they do the 20 week U/S that they can see if anything looks fishy and if so they will do any testing then if they think its necessary. 

I feel like I am getting huge too and that people are starting to notice.  My belly is just starting to pop out.  I said this in the other thread too but I took my 1st belly pic on Sunday and hope to take one every week. 

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

#9 of 167 Old 04-04-2011, 11:04 AM

cristini - I haven't gained any weight at all (actually was fluctuating down a little, but now back up to original weight), but I can now only button one pair of pants... guess it's redistrubuting.  Not that I'm complaining, I love my little pregnant belly!  I also LOVE my belly band and wear it every day.  Well, I have been... I've done a little maternity shopping and now have a pair of capri pants, black pants, and a couple of shirts.  Maternity clothes shopping is so much fun!  I think I might do some online shopping later today to see if I can find any good sales. 

As for the genetic testing/screening... we decided not to.  After some discussion with both my doctor and MW, we determined that whatever they found out would not affect the course that we would take with this pregnancy (meaning - we had no intention of terminating even if there was a genetic disorder).  With our health/family backgrounds and my relatively young age, we've decided only to do the 20 week u/s, no additional screenings unless deemed medically necessary later down the road. 

Here's a fun question for you... will you find out the gender of your baby??  Or if you're past that and did or did not, what were your reasons??  We're struggling with this right now... we have three weeks to decide!

#10 of 167 Old 04-04-2011, 12:34 PM

Wow! Thanks for all the replies ladies!!! I don't know how or what we'd do with a "positive" result. Our age (30- me, 31-hubs) plus our lack of family history, in addition to not knowing if our insurance will pay for it, all made me say "no thanks". I wish I had just stuck with my initial reaction. Since I'm so new to all of this, I felt like the doctor would push me in the right direction, and not just the way towards his wallet (if that's the case). Since we haven't told anyone yet, I really felt like it would be a great question for my sister who just had her baby on 3/13. *sigh*...I guess you live and learn?

As for gender, we're definitely going to find out. I think it will help everyone build a better relationship with the baby, not just me. Plus I'll know what to buy...and I don't think it takes anything away from the surprise at birth. I hope to be able to have the technician write down the gender on a piece of paper and seal it. Then have my grandmother read it out loud to everyone so we all find out together.

#11 of 167 Old 04-04-2011, 01:14 PM

I am going to find out the gender.  Since I am going to have a 20 week u/s and they will be able to see it I just don't see the point in not looking of having the u/s tec know and not me!  I'm not a gender specific person so I am not worried about buying the right stuff but I just don't see a reason for me to not find out.  For me finding out midway through the pregnancy is enough of a wait and still a suprise.

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

#12 of 167 Old 04-04-2011, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

#13 of 167 Old 04-04-2011, 04:00 PM

Birdie I am actually not having any non vegan cravings.  I have been vegan for 12 years and I don't know if that has anything to do with it.  I think that anything I can think of that I want I love a vegan version of it or forget what it even tastes like so it doesn't matter if it is vegan.  My biggest fear with becoming pregnant has always been craving something non vegan though.  My cravings have been random the biggest one lately is ramen.  So not healthy.  So far I have had chocolate cravings at the beginning and I ate a tablespoon of chocolate chips when I got that craving and it worked well.  I have also really been wanting sandwiches and have been making a lot of fake bacon BLTs.  I normally don't eat any premade foods so this is really weird for me.  I am hoping that once I am done being so tired I will be motivated to cook healty meals again.  I had been cooking a lot out of appetite for reduction before I lost my energy so everytime I go to the store I buy tons of veggies to cook but then only end up eating sandwiches. 

#14 of 167 Old 04-04-2011, 10:34 PM

Hiya, ladies, please do add me

EDD October 30, 4 (spread out) months trying and one miscarriage.

Wow, I hit submit accidentally.  So now I'm editing.

Did you know, homebirth (with a trained attendant) actually has better outcomes than hospital birth?  Crazy, no?  I'm reading "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" (from my library), and it's really interesting.  A little shocking and a bit frightening, since I think I pretty much have to have a hospital birth, but still really interesting.  It's written by a doula, and the focus is on studies.  So it's pretty evidence-based.  I highly recommend that book to everyone.  I think it's also helpful for me because it helps me cement in my mind that there are REASONS I don't want all the interventions that scare me - they scare me because they're mostly pretty bad ideas.  Epidurals just sound like a really bad idea to me, because they put a needle in your spine.  A NEEDLE . . . in your SPINE.  That's a really bad idea in my books.  And, it turns out, it's actually a little bit risky, too.  Same with episiotomies, the last thing I want is someone to cut open . . . well, any part of me, really, and it turns out that they don't do any good.  They actually CAUSE the complications that they are supposed to help prevent.  That's what the studies say.  Ugh.  So now I'm really hoping against hope that when I ask about all of these things at the hospital, they'll tell me that they are totally not interested in doing any of those things unless I really think they should . . . and that they have low rates for all of them to back that up.  Or, failing that, that when I call the doula tomorrow she'll know of a great homebirth midwife in the area, with tons of experience and wonderful references.

Anyway, regardless of any of that, I'm sure looking forward to my ultrasound next week!  I'm feeling pretty hopeful maybe 75% of the time now, which is pretty good.

On a farm with our kiddo (nearly 2), two dogs, two cats, ten goats, two donkeys, nine sheep, a bunch of chickens, and a husband (in the winters). We have another on the way!
#15 of 167 Old 04-05-2011, 11:58 AM

Speaking of cravings and aversions...all I want is food I see on TV. Doesn't matter what it is. I want it. I think I just really want food that other people make. I don't have the energy to cook, but I do it anyway. I haven't had a real craving for anything, other than sushi, but when I do crave something I end up eating chocolate chips dumped into a container of peanut butter and then my "craving" goes away. I'm so weird.

I couldn't believe the scale at the doctor's office when it said I gained a pound. I thought for sure I was up at least 5. And since my clothes don't fit anymore (at 8 weeks?!) the low gain number was really not what I expected.

I was doing some reading online about pros and cons of finding out the gender. I did come across a good point. They said once people know the gender they buy you outfits instead of stuff you really need. I thought that was interesting...my first thought when I buy someone a gift for a baby shower is "What do they need?". I hardly ever buy clothes because you never know what size the baby will be. My sister was planning on a larger than average sized baby...well nothing fit because the kid was skinny and long. I guess you can never win...LOL

Hykue, I would love to have a homebirth, but I don't really have a home, I have an apartment, and I think that would be a little weird. Plus, I hate where I live :-(  We're considering buying a home, and if we end up with one before the baby is due, I wonder if I could switch over really quick to a midwife? I'd love to be able to use more natural methods of birthing, and from what I hear, hosipital births are the standard "on your back" method and that's it. I read where women in Europe hardly ever give birth on their back, but rather do it on all fours! There's less tearing they say...

Birdie, I'm sorry you won't be able to see your baby like you thought you would. Can you reschedule for a weekend? Even though I only have that one picture, it still makes me smile every time I see it. How did the interview go?

#16 of 167 Old 04-05-2011, 12:18 PM

Hykue - I'm with you on the needle in the spine thing.  I plan on avoiding it if at all possible.  I'm leaving myself the option to change my mind if the pain gets to be too much, but in general, I hope to go med-free.  My sister has had two children, and the epidural did not work with either child... so she had the needle in her back for no reason.  And on top of that, she got the post dural puncture headache with the second child and was incapacitated for days.  So... call me a big fat scaredy cat, but I don't wanna do it! 

cristini - Good point about the clothes thing after you find out gender... people are less likely to buy clothes if you don't know the gender.  I know at my sister's shower, she had tons and tons of clothes.  And then the kid ended up being huge (10lb 5oz), so he couldn't wear half of the stuff she had gotten.  I always buy useful gifts and/or things off the registry. 

birdie - How'd the interview go??

I just tried on my altered bridesmaid dress, and it fits - yay!!  You can't even tell I'm pregnant in it, because it's an A-Line.  I'm kind of disappointed, I like wearing stuff where you can tell I'm pregnant.  Oh well, at leat I can show off my pregnant belly at the other wedding functions.

#17 of 167 Old 04-05-2011, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

#18 of 167 Old 04-06-2011, 11:20 AM

birdie - CONGRATS on the new job!!!  joy.gif

#19 of 167 Old 04-07-2011, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

#20 of 167 Old 04-09-2011, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

#21 of 167 Old 04-10-2011, 07:15 AM

I take rainbow light one a days too.

#22 of 167 Old 04-10-2011, 10:59 AM

Hey! Thanks for starting this thread. I only have a couple weeks until my due date (EEEP!) but I'll join--I'd love a way to keep up with other TTC #1 in our 30s ladies, as that thread offered so much support during my TTC time! I am 33, due April 26, after 14 months trying (this includes a molar pregnancy diagnosed at 8 weeks, and then a mandatory 6 month waiting period before we could try again).

Just in the last couple weeks I have been ready to be done with this pregnancy. Baby, stop pressing on my cervix/bladder when I walk! Actually, don't stop, because I think that's helping my body get ready for labor.

While the apartment is still a mess I think we are basically set up, at least for the first few weeks--got the crib set up yesterday. We were going to sidecar it but the mattress height differential is too much, so I think we'll just have the crib right next to the bed and it won't be too much to lean over and pick her up or deposit her back in it without me having to get out of bed. It's a super cute mini crib--I LOVE how compact it is. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3538757

So we've got that, a nice used dresser w/changing top, a stash of cloth and disposable diapers (I think we'll use sposies the first few weeks until I'm up for doing more laundry), plenty of clothes, and my boobs--what else do we need? I'm gonna pick up a Moby wrap in the next couple weeks and we will be ready to go. My mom is coming for the birth and will stay and help out for a couple weeks.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#23 of 167 Old 04-10-2011, 11:25 AM

Hi Blanca! I think I recognize a couple other of you ladies as well. I'm 33 and I'm 33 weeks, very exciting. We decided to TTC about 5 months before we did, but illness and travel kept interfering, amazingly we ended up actually getting it on the first real go.

I too have missed the TTC forums, lots of lovely supportive people in there. Thanks for the thread!

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#24 of 167 Old 04-10-2011, 02:36 PM

Welcome ladies.

I had a really good pregnancy day with my DP.  I have had a hard time getting him to open up and tell me his thoughts about this pregnancy.  I think he is half scared because of our past m/c and half just not feeling real to him yet.  Today we went to target to look for some work clothes for him and I stopped in the maternity section to look real quick.  He actually came in with me and told me what he liked and didn't like.  Then he brought up whether we were going to find out the gender which we have talked about but not since TTC.  Then we saw a pregnant lady in line who was showing and I told him I couldn't wait to look like that and he told me he couldn't wait for me to look like that too.  He told me he is jealous of a girl at work who is the same # of weeks as me but has had 3 kids already and is already showing.  He is so cute.  I am glad he is finally opening up. 

#25 of 167 Old 04-10-2011, 03:10 PM

Welcome, Blanca and Elonwy.  Good to see you both here.

Blanca - sounds like you're pretty much ready!  I imagine you must be getting so excited, it's getting so close to baby-meeting time!  I already ordered a stretchy wrap second-hand, and I have some clothes, but I have a ways to go until I'm as ready as you are.

Tank - that's great that you had such a good day with your husband.  Mine doesn't get too verbose about anything, so he hasn't said a lot about it, but I think he's at least moderately excited.  And he was very apologetic when he caused me to spill chainsaw oil on one of my three pairs of maternity pants, so he's paying attention at least.  It's sweet that your guy was jealous of the other woman showing.

Cristini - yeah, I can't have a homebirth either, unless I want to go unassisted, which I really don't, but I did find that pretty interesting.  And I like the idea of knowing what procedures they might choose to do, and why, when I'm in the hospital.  My sister thinks I shouldn't read up too much because I'll scare myself, but I would rather have information than be in the dark.  What really would scare me is if they said that they were going to do something to me, or I had some complication, and I didn't know what it was!  I would much rather know than not.  My library ordered in a bunch of birthing books for me on interlibrary loan, so I've got lots of information in front of me.

Val - not wanting an epidural does not make you a wimp at all!  It's supposed to provide pain relief, so not wanting one makes you stronger, right?  But yeah, keeping your options open is always wise.  I guess here it's really hard to get one anyway, which is fine by me, because I don't really even want the option.  On the other hand, I can get nitrous oxide (laughing gas), which I've had before at the dentist and liked.  I like that that's an option - it's short term, self-administered, has no known ill effects for the baby (except for one study which found a higher probability of amphetamine use in adult life, which is something I could explain to the kid about why they should never use amphetamines - since they would be even more dangerous for them than for most people).  My sister told me that she was doing okay with her pain-med free labor until she overheard the nurse say it would be at least another two hours, when she had already been stuck in transition for a couple of hours (baby's face was turned the wrong way).  Then she wanted an epidural, but they couldn't get her one right away, so she had to just live without, and then less than an hour later (I think she said), baby was born.  She said that she hadn't realized how much she would want it, but also that she didn't end up getting it and made it through anyway.  So it can definitely be done, even when the laboring woman isn't sure that it can!

Birdie - I'm only partway through Ina May's Guide right now, just finished the birth stories and now on to the second part.  So far I really like the positive feelings it's focusing on.  Sometimes I need a reminder that I can do difficult tasks, just like women have been doing them for hundreds of thousands of years.  And I've heard that the non-vegan or non-vegetarian cravings are fairly common.  Some women just go ahead and eat what they're craving, thinking that their body must need it.  I'm not so 100% sure, because I'm pretty sure I don't NEED olives, but it's hard to be certain - I might need salt, but there are other possible sources.  Just like if you're craving animal products you might need more B12 or protein, but there are other sources for those too.  Good luck on getting through that stuff.  And congratulations on your new job!  I took a list of recommended daily intakes for pregnancy and looked at the prenatals, then picked the one that was closest.  It didn't have as much C or calcium as it should, so I take those separately as well.  I think the options are pretty limited here, since it's quite a small town, but I'm reasonably happy with the ones I'm taking.  Don't remember what they're called, though.

Which brings me to:

AFM:  I'm probably (almost certainly) being overly paranoid, but I had a tiny tiny bit of pink-tinged discharge two days ago, and then occasional very light brown-tinged discharge yesterday and today . . . so I'm not getting off the couch until my ultrasound tomorrow.  I'm nearly certain that it's just a yeast infection, but just in case it's something more serious, I figure bed rest (or as near as I can manage) won't hurt anything, for just two days.  I'm glad my u/s is so soon, because then I can be precautionary without it being unduly ridiculous.  My husband has been doing a lot of work by himself, just because I've been feeling pretty tired, and he's been very good about just doing it and not acting like I'm being unreasonable . . . even though I probably am.  Anyway, tomorrow will probably be very reassuring.

On a farm with our kiddo (nearly 2), two dogs, two cats, ten goats, two donkeys, nine sheep, a bunch of chickens, and a husband (in the winters). We have another on the way!
#26 of 167 Old 04-10-2011, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

#27 of 167 Old 04-11-2011, 08:54 AM

Eeeeek!  I just heard the heartbeat on a doppler!!!  I am so relieved.  I was so excited I cried.  My DP wasn't with me so I was a bit upset that he didn't hear it but I am SO EXCITED!  I'm gonna pop over to the other thread and have boots move me to graduates!

#28 of 167 Old 04-11-2011, 10:31 AM

Hykue - Hope your appointment goes well!  I'll be checking back for an update on the U/S.

#29 of 167 Old 04-11-2011, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

#30 of 167 Old 04-11-2011, 11:17 AM

joy.gif

There was a cute little baby, and it kicked its little feet, and it had a heartbeat of 160, and everything looked good.  Yay!  I'm so relieved and so excited.  Congratulations to you too, Tank, it's really cool that the two of us are going through so many of the same things at the same time.

Tags
New Chapter Organics Perfect Prenatal Multivitamin 180 Ea , Nordic Naturals Prenatal Dha 500 Mg High Concentrate Purified Fish Oil 90 Soft Gels

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page