Weed and pregnancy - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 06-24-2012, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't even know why this is being debated.  I think most ppl are either firmly on the 'yes' or 'no' side and have no plans to budge.  I was a bit naive and hoped to read up on some recent research and find ppl really discussing, but it seems to be otherwise. Oh well :)

#32 of 44 Old 06-24-2012, 01:20 PM

A Toronto born young mama blowkiss.giffreshly moved for a new adventure in ALBERTA! with Superdaddy superhero.gifand her intact and vax free, breastfed and babyworn Aug09 babenono02.gif attending college for early childhood educationwhale.gif   and being blessed with #2 just in time for Valentines Dayheartbeat.gif pos.gif

#33 of 44 Old 06-24-2012, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kparker View Post

Oh boy, I must simply be unreasonable then!

I guess I just lump folks who would knowingly medicate their fetus this way with those folks who load their kids with Benadryl to make them sleep on the plane. The kid can't consent.

So, unless you are dying and the drug prevents both your deaths.. I say no to any kind of drugs while pregnant.

While pregnant, I gave up caffeine, any over the counter stuff for colds and allergies, I gave up alcohol, I gave up foods on the "questionable" list by my midwife team. I had a natural childbirth with no drugs.. all to keep my baby safe.
#34 of 44 Old 06-25-2012, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post
So, unless you are dying and the drug prevents both your deaths..

I've posted before about how I was suicidal and depressed over my lack of ability to sleep properly without heavy prescription medication that made me insane when I took it, until I started medicating with weed. So, in my opinion, since the sleeping problems have only gotten worse since becoming pregnant, for me yes this was a matter of life or death: suicidal + pregnancy is not a good combination. It is literally saving my life, and thus, the life of this child. For that, I feel no remorse for medicating it against its will a couple times a month.

edit: I intend to pump and dump after medicating if I manage to breastfeed, so it's not like the kid will continue to be forced into this once it's born. Currently I have no other option.

Mom to 4 cat.gif, 1 dog2.gif, a 5g betta tank , 3 fiddler crabs, and a 156g stock tank pond with goldfish and lilypads!
IUI#4 success! Welcome Guy V 11/14/12

#35 of 44 Old 06-25-2012, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I've posted before about how I was suicidal and depressed over my lack of ability to sleep properly without heavy prescription medication that made me insane when I took it, until I started medicating with weed. So, in my opinion, since the sleeping problems have only gotten worse since becoming pregnant, for me yes this was a matter of life or death: suicidal + pregnancy is not a good combination. It is literally saving my life, and thus, the life of this child. For that, I feel no remorse for medicating it against its will a couple times a month.

edit: I intend to pump and dump after medicating if I manage to breastfeed, so it's not like the kid will continue to be forced into this once it's born. Currently I have no other option.

Wow, getting pregnant while facing such severe issues seems unwise. I hope such a mom would have a very good support system in place for when the baby arrives.

I was extremely healthy while having babies and one of my infants slept so little that I had terrible hallucinations. Thank goodness my mom friends were able to come in and fill the gaps with amusing the toddler and holding the baby so that I could get a nap.
#36 of 44 Old 06-25-2012, 03:55 PM

nono02.gif

A Toronto born young mama blowkiss.giffreshly moved for a new adventure in ALBERTA! with Superdaddy superhero.gifand her intact and vax free, breastfed and babyworn Aug09 babenono02.gif attending college for early childhood educationwhale.gif   and being blessed with #2 just in time for Valentines Dayheartbeat.gif pos.gif

#37 of 44 Old 06-25-2012, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

canadianhippie - posts of this manner are not acceptable. That is a personal attack and not okay according to our UA. Please edit.

To everyone else -

It is fine to disagree with each other - but keep it civil.  Calling people unreasonable, or implying that they are bad/wrong/evil/horrible parents is not okay.  You can state your opinions *WITHOUT* attacking other members.  So do that.  Go back and reread your posts.  Edit them if they are about the other person. 

Also, just so everyone knows Mothering has posted articles about this very subject before: http://mothering.com/pregnancy-birth/use-of-marijuana-during-pregnancy

Also, there are LOTS of thread about this very topic.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#38 of 44 Old 06-25-2012, 04:30 PM

why is saying a mother is unwise for getting pregnant acceptable?

#39 of 44 Old 06-25-2012, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

The rest of my post addressed being civil while disagreeing.  :)

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#40 of 44 Old 06-25-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

Wow, getting pregnant while facing such severe issues seems unwise. I hope such a mom would have a very good support system in place for when the baby arrives.
I was extremely healthy while having babies and one of my infants slept so little that I had terrible hallucinations. Thank goodness my mom friends were able to come in and fill the gaps with amusing the toddler and holding the baby so that I could get a nap.

I'm no spring chicken, have been trying to get pregnant for 3.5 years, have spent thousands of dollars to get here, and am easily controlled with infrequent simple medication - I just had to find the right one for me. It's not like I could wait another 5-10 years for science to magically come up with a sleep aid that wouldn't make me lose my mind. I think I've been very wise in my planning and execution of my current situation, tyvm!

Mom to 4 cat.gif, 1 dog2.gif, a 5g betta tank , 3 fiddler crabs, and a 156g stock tank pond with goldfish and lilypads!

#41 of 44 Old 06-26-2012, 09:56 AM

Kparker- I feel like you got smacked a bit and want to say sorry.  I also want to say CONGRATS clap.gif on your pregnancy!  

"I was extremely healthy while having babies and one of my infants slept so little that I had terrible hallucinations. Thank goodness my mom friends were able to come in and fill the gaps with amusing the toddler and holding the baby so that I could get a nap."- quoted from philomom  

Yes, thank goodness your friends were able and willing to help, it would be nice if every one had that support and if they're problem could be solved by friends stepping in to help.  

dbsam likes this.
#42 of 44 Old 06-26-2012, 03:14 PM

Thanks!

I am not at all ruffled ;) I fully understand that not everyone will share my opinions and beliefs, which is fine - but I also expect to be treated fairly no matter what my own beliefs and decisions might be. I am an atheist, but my best friend in the entire world is Catholic. We co-exist wonderfully, because we respect each other. If only all disagreements could be so easily solved.

I also just today read a great article another mother wrote about being a parent and partaking in this plant: http://jezebel.com/5905455/im-a-mom-and-im-stoned-right-now

And in the end, it's not like I'm shooting heroin. Alcohol is legal, many women choose to continue drinking as normal throughout being pregnant, even though they have definitive proof alcohol is bad. The same thing with cigarettes. There are few if any studies done long term on cannabis and pregnancy, and most of those are either inconclusive or show no negative effects, yet more people get wound up about it - part of me wonders if it's simply the legality of it, and the long-term stigma that it's had for most of our lives. Either way, it is not for us to judge other people even if we think they are doing something very wrong. At the end of the day, we only have ourselves to live with.

#43 of 44 Old 06-26-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:

Thanks!

I am not at all ruffled ;) I fully understand that not everyone will share my opinions and beliefs, which is fine - but I also expect to be treated fairly no matter what my own beliefs and decisions might be. I am an atheist, but my best friend in the entire world is Catholic. We co-exist wonderfully, because we respect each other. If only all disagreements could be so easily solved.

I also just today read a great article another mother wrote about being a parent and partaking in this plant: http://jezebel.com/5905455/im-a-mom-and-im-stoned-right-now

And in the end, it's not like I'm shooting heroin. Alcohol is legal, many women choose to continue drinking as normal throughout being pregnant, even though they have definitive proof alcohol is bad. The same thing with cigarettes. There are few if any studies done long term on cannabis and pregnancy, and most of those are either inconclusive or show no negative effects, yet more people get wound up about it - part of me wonders if it's simply the legality of it, and the long-term stigma that it's had for most of our lives. Either way, it is not for us to judge other people even if we think they are doing something very wrong. At the end of the day, we only have ourselves to live with.

im glad your ok, i was so offended for you, i broke the UA

that article is hilarious! thanks for sharing

#44 of 44 Old 06-26-2012, 08:34 PM

Ha I never even knew what was said! I wondered how bad it was LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page