Weed and pregnancy - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 04-04-2011, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

so im not a smoker my self nor am i pregnant at the moment but I know of some women who smoke when they are pregnant and wanted to know what others thoughts are on it, and how would you approcatch someone who is smoking weed while they are obviously pregnant?

Full time student and stay at  home mom for my 2 awesomely cool boys, Merrik Orian 4-12-08, Asher Drake 10-11-09. They are my world!

#2 of 44 Old 04-07-2011, 05:58 PM

Very few accurate studies have been done about marijuana during pregnancy. The studies that have proven that it causes harm to the fetus are skewed in that they have low-income women participating who may smoke cigarettes, drink alcohol, or take other drugs during pregnancy as well as marijuana. The studies from Jamaica, that seem to indicate that marijuana during pregnancy has benefits for the mother and baby, are skewed because they represent a population of mostly upper-middle class married women with more income, education, and better nutrition than average.

In states where medical marijuana is legal, doctors might prescribe it for a pregnant woman to relieve nausea, insomnia, poor weight gain, hemorrhoids, nightmares, back pain, pelvic pain, anxiety, or panic attacks. In many cases it is safer than pharmaceutical medications, for example, Preparation H may cause high blood pressure during pregnancy.

I personally would not mention, approach, or try to intervene on a pregnant woman smoking marijuana. Similarly, women who have a hard time quitting smoking cigarettes, or learning to eat healthier, don't deserve my judgement. We all need support, we all have hard decisions to make, many of us have some imperfect habits and vices. We all have to balance wanting the best for our baby with doing what we can to survive...even if that means clinging like crazy to not-so-great habits like drugs.

#3 of 44 Old 04-07-2011, 09:08 PM

well said!

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#4 of 44 Old 04-08-2011, 12:28 PM

very much the "noneya" catagory.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#5 of 44 Old 04-08-2011, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
No way! Drugging an unconsenting person (your fetus) is NOT okay by me.

#6 of 44 Old 04-08-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averlee View Post

Very few accurate studies have been done about marijuana during pregnancy. The studies that have proven that it causes harm to the fetus are skewed in that they have low-income women participating who may smoke cigarettes, drink alcohol, or take other drugs during pregnancy as well as marijuana. The studies from Jamaica, that seem to indicate that marijuana during pregnancy has benefits for the mother and baby, are skewed because they represent a population of mostly upper-middle class married women with more income, education, and better nutrition than average.

In states where medical marijuana is legal, doctors might prescribe it for a pregnant woman to relieve nausea, insomnia, poor weight gain, hemorrhoids, nightmares, back pain, pelvic pain, anxiety, or panic attacks. In many cases it is safer than pharmaceutical medications, for example, Preparation H may cause high blood pressure during pregnancy.

I personally would not mention, approach, or try to intervene on a pregnant woman smoking marijuana. Similarly, women who have a hard time quitting smoking cigarettes, or learning to eat healthier, don't deserve my judgement. We all need support, we all have hard decisions to make, many of us have some imperfect habits and vices. We all have to balance wanting the best for our baby with doing what we can to survive...even if that means clinging like crazy to not-so-great habits like drugs.

thumb.gif

Jordana, mama to almost 8 year old Evan, 3 year old Atticus, and 1 year old Tabitha - my gifts from heaven

#7 of 44 Old 04-08-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averlee View Post

I mostly agree with you except for the bolded. MJ is one thing but "clinging like crazy to not so great habits like drugs" is not ok in my book. IDK if you meant whatever drugs they are doing or if you strictly meant MJ. I have seen some babies seriously not ok from herione, crack, or cocaine.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#8 of 44 Old 04-08-2011, 04:36 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Some articles you might find interesting:

http://mothering.com/pregnancy-birth/medical-marijuana-a-surprising-solution-to-severe-morning-sickness

http://www.mothering.com/pregnancy-birth/use-of-marijuana-during-pregnancy

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#9 of 44 Old 04-08-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

No way! Drugging an unconsenting person (your fetus) is NOT okay by me.

Are alcohol, caffeine, nicotine, heck even sugar "ok" because they are legal? There is even strong evidence that these legal things are bad for developing fetuses. However, no real evidence on MJ. Even though people have been using it for thousands of years also.shrug.gif too much grey area for me to put on my judging hat IMO.

darkblue0729 and hildare like this.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#10 of 44 Old 04-08-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post

Are alcohol, caffeine, nicotine, heck even sugar "ok" because they are legal? There is even strong evidence that these legal things are bad for developing fetuses. However, no real evidence on MJ. Even though people have been using it for thousands of years also.shrug.gif too much grey area for me to put on my judging hat IMO.

Well, I don't do alcohol, caffeine or nicotine when I'm pregnant. Heck, I don't smoke at all. Sugar can be naturally occurring in some foods. I avoided all "over the counter" drugs while pregnant and had a drug free birth.

Thousands of years of pot-smoking? I doubt it.

It truly upsets me when parents participate in illegal activities...... especially those that might harm their children.
#11 of 44 Old 04-09-2011, 06:02 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Quote:

Well, I don't do alcohol, caffeine or nicotine when I'm pregnant. Heck, I don't smoke at all. Sugar can be naturally occurring in some foods. I avoided all "over the counter" drugs while pregnant and had a drug free birth.

It truly upsets me when parents participate in illegal activities...... especially those that might harm their children.

Okay, but it's not illegal (for medical purposes) everywhere and for those suffering from extreme nausea which puts them in the hospital and pretty much forces them to get on anti-nausea meds like zofran (cat B) and phenergan (cat C), which often only work slightly, which is worse?  I agree that we cannot judge that.  For recreational use?  Well, I don't agree with it, but I would not go up to strangers and say something.  I would be shocked if they didn't already know there could be a risk involved.  If it were a friend I probably would ask if they would like more information about the possible risks and if they would like help finding a healthier substitute or support during this time.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#12 of 44 Old 04-09-2011, 10:17 AM

My mom smoked pot regularly while she was pregnant with me and I wouldn't intervene if I saw someone doing the same thing now. I came out plump and healthy and I don't think it had any effect on me, but of course I'm just one data point, so that's not an endorsement or anything. I just think this is a MYOB issue. What I'm really grateful for is that even though my mom was smoking pot, she was eating healthy and abstaining from alcohol. My grandmother (mom's mom) smoked cigarettes and drank alcohol proudly through all of her pregnancies and my mom and her siblings all have serious health issues/birth defects most likely because of it. Why alcohol is legal and pot is not baffles me, but that's a whole different conversation...

SAHM to DS (11/09) with a little girl coming in October stork-girl.gif familybed1.gif

#13 of 44 Old 04-09-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami mommy View Post

My mom smoked pot regularly while she was pregnant with me and I wouldn't intervene if I saw someone doing the same thing now. I came out plump and healthy and I don't think it had any effect on me, but of course I'm just one data point, so that's not an endorsement or anything. I just think this is a MYOB issue. What I'm really grateful for is that even though my mom was smoking pot, she was eating healthy and abstaining from alcohol. My grandmother (mom's mom) smoked cigarettes and drank alcohol proudly through all of her pregnancies and my mom and her siblings all have serious health issues/birth defects most likely because of it. Why alcohol is legal and pot is not baffles me, but that's a whole different conversation...

Ah, the old "my mom did it and I turned out okay" argument.

Well at MDC we hold a lot things dear that our parents would have scoffed at like not spanking, not CIO, baby led weaning, and not cutting our son's penis.
lovingmommyhood likes this.
#14 of 44 Old 04-09-2011, 02:43 PM

It's not something I would do personally, but I would not say anything.  I had a friend who I know smoked while she was pregnant with her daughter (probably to help with morning sickness though I never talked to her about it to find out for sure), and her daughter is a healthy 7 year old now.  (smoked mj that is, not cigarettes, which I would be inclined to say something about).

SAHM to Bird (6/07) and Bear (7/09), and now enjoying our newest additionbabyboy.gif, born June 1, 2011!  bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.gif

#15 of 44 Old 04-09-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:

I'm curious what makes you think that this is unlikely.

On a farm with our kiddo (nearly 2), two dogs, two cats, ten goats, two donkeys, nine sheep, a bunch of chickens, and a husband (in the winters). We have another on the way!
#16 of 44 Old 04-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

Okay, but it's not illegal (for medical purposes) everywhere and for those suffering from extreme nausea which puts them in the hospital and pretty much forces them to get on anti-nausea meds like zofran (cat B) and phenergan (cat C), which often only work slightly, which is worse?  I agree that we cannot judge that.  .

Agreed - zofran and phenergan have known risks and don't work. Pot does get rid of nausea very well. No known negative effects. For me, would be an easy choice.

But I didn't get nauseated while pregnant so.
#17 of 44 Old 04-13-2011, 09:55 AM

I wouldn't approach anyone about it. I generally try to mind my own business, and I try to keep in mind that we are all doing the best we can with the means we have at our disposal. If I see a parent smacking their kid senseless, that's a different matter. But with things like smoking, drinking, anything that is a physical and/or mental addiction, I tell myself that it is so very easy for me to judge based on what I see, but that I do not have all the information and that I should probably keep my harsh judgments to myself. *shrugs* Just my two cents, of course. 

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#18 of 44 Old 04-13-2011, 02:12 PM

Is nobody here going to cop to smoking pot to help with severe nausea?  Fine, I will.  Judge me as you may, but I hardly had run of the mill morning sickness.  I had hyperemisis.  I spent weeks 5-7 in the hospital, being given constant IV fluids because Im severely allergic to PHernergan and Compazine.  I still threw up all day, every day.  I lost so much weight that eventually the doctor recommended an abortion- which I declined.  I was eventually sent home to get dehydrated enough to miscarry or come back and get more IV fluids.  I will tell you what, my daughter owes her life to medical marijuana.  And yes, it was medical.  Prescribed by a physician, and used under medical supervision.  Think what you want, but I would absolutely say here is a huge difference between recreational use of MJ while pregnant and actual medical use of marijuana.  

Ash- DS 2003, DD 2006, and one baby Turkey born on Thanksgiving.

#19 of 44 Old 04-13-2011, 04:01 PM

Perfectly legal in my state for those with a prescription.  I would consider it like any other prescription drug for myself and probably exercise caution during pregnancy unless it was absolutely necessary (like for managing pain or nausea).  I would CERTAINLY choose MJ over a host of other drugs commonly prescribed to pregnant women.

As for "how would you approach someone who is smoking weed while they are obviously pregnant?"  I wouldn't.  Despite the need of some to police the decisions of others, I wouldn't consider this to be a battle worth fighting.

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#20 of 44 Old 04-16-2011, 07:45 PM

I am 22 weeks and I have smoked since before I got pregnant.  I have done TONS of research, which is hard as there is very little non-biased data.  It was amazing for morning sickness, and helps with aches and pains, as well as my emotional/spiritual health.

As to, "drugging a non-consenting person", I am on Effexor with my PDOC and midwives' blessing, and that has not been studied much and can cause withdraw after birth.  I think this is the best choice for us, as I have depression and OCD.

Pot is as safe as chamomile in pregnancy, maybe safer.  It causes no ill effects, and might even have benefits.  

Stress in pregnancy is a real concern, and with my issues and the way our life is, I am under a lot.  If a harmless plant can help me lower that, then I am going for it!

We all make choices in out pregnancies.  One of my midwives drank two glasses of wine a day with her last child.  I wouldn't do it myself, but I respect her right to decide what is safe for her baby.

gothesshalja likes this.

Wifey (23) and Hubby (23) since 07/08.  Enjoying DS baby.gif born 8/6/11!

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif nocirc.gif femalesling.GIF fuzmalesling.gif cd.gif !!!

#21 of 44 Old 05-31-2012, 01:46 PM

I have had so much nausea and no appetite since 5 weeks and now I'm 9 weeks. I have smoked pot before pregnancy and have continued but have cut back. It really helps A LOT! There is so much confusion on this topic. Im just wondering how much is too much when trying to help with nausea? Also, does anyone know of recent data supporting that pot smoking during pregnancy leads to the child developing ADHD?I Would appreciate any advise or recent data on this topic, as this is my first pregnancy and I really want to just get through this sickness with less stress and more info. Thanks!!
#22 of 44 Old 06-03-2012, 05:30 AM

A Toronto born young mama blowkiss.giffreshly moved for a new adventure in ALBERTA! with Superdaddy superhero.gifand her intact and vax free, breastfed and babyworn Aug09 babenono02.gif attending college for early childhood educationwhale.gif   and being blessed with #2 just in time for Valentines Dayheartbeat.gif pos.gif

#23 of 44 Old 06-04-2012, 03:14 PM

Okay I'll be honest here. I only started vaping mj last fall, because I was suicidal and depressed over my severe insomnia that NOTHING could fix. A friend introduced me to mj, and two to three hits every couple of weeks and I sleep, the hardest and easiest I have ever slept in my LIFE. I'm, for once, happy and in control of my mental state, something no doctor could offer unless I went on antidepressants or stronger things I wasn't prepared for at that time. I think that that small use, twice a month, is worth any side effects or risk that may now come to my fetus. I'm sorry, but I'd rather the tiny bit of consumption than to lose my mind again and have to be on much worse things and/or drive myself off a freaking cliff because I'm so exhausted I am literally going insane. If you haven't been there (or having hyperemesis, or whatever else you might take mj for) then you can't really compare.

Moral of the story: mind your own business. You never know why someone is doing what they do, and as long as it's something like that (vs cocaine, heroin, you get the idea) it's really not a big deal, and most if not all pot smokers know the risks when they continue to use while pregnant.

Mom to 4 cat.gif, 1 dog2.gif, a 5g betta tank , 3 fiddler crabs, and a 156g stock tank pond with goldfish and lilypads!
IUI#4 success! Welcome Guy V 11/14/12

#24 of 44 Old 06-04-2012, 06:43 PM

I smoke, have smoked for years, smoked with both my girls and am 36, almost 37 weeks with my boy, and have done the research. Don't agree with smoking? Then don't smoke.  It seems pretty simple to me.

#25 of 44 Old 06-05-2012, 12:48 AM

It's not something I do, or think others should be doing, but I don't think I could confront anyone smoking. 

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#26 of 44 Old 06-16-2012, 12:38 AM

If you wouldn't let your child do it at one years old outside the womb then don't do it pregnant :) Just a thought. I'd let my loved one know this, period. Also if you birth in a hospital and test positive for any "illegal" drug then, well you know CPS gets involved pretty quickly.

Michelle

"We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive. " - C.S Lewis

#27 of 44 Old 06-16-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyedmamasf View Post

If you wouldn't let your child do it at one years old outside the womb then don't do it pregnant :) Just a thought. I'd let my loved one know this, period. Also if you birth in a hospital and test positive for any "illegal" drug then, well you know CPS gets involved pretty quickly.

Michelle

so i guess i won't pump gas, run on the treadmill, enjoy a beer, eat cheesecake or have sex with dh?  Sheepish.gif

i jest.  you are correct that smoking can cause problems with social services, depending upon your state.

otherwise, i am not convinced of the harm to the fetus of ingesting mj. 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#28 of 44 Old 06-16-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

so i guess i won't pump gas, run on the treadmill, enjoy a beer, eat cheesecake or have sex with dh?  Sheepish.gif

i jest.  you are correct that smoking can cause problems with social services, depending upon your state.

otherwise, i am not convinced of the harm to the fetus of ingesting mj. 

Um, no I wouldn't pump gas unless it was with the new style of pumps used here in CA if I could help it the fumes are no good for anyone pregnant or not, I for sure wouldn't drink beer at all, um Fetal Alcohol syndrome is real, and eating too much cheesecake can be bad for pregnancy at least diabetes and weight gain wise, as far as having sex well that's fine for me, but obviously common sense is a factor  when determining what is ok for a child to do or a pregnant woman.  As far as your comment about sex, having sex with your husband has nothing to do with my point, C'mon that's a pretty long slippery slope your riding down to disprove my point. Again it's my personal opinion and preference, if my Friend were doing it I'd let her know what I thought, Period :-) 

MIchelle

"We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive. " - C.S Lewis

#29 of 44 Old 06-23-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyedmamasf View Post

If you wouldn't let your child do it at one years old outside the womb then don't do it pregnant smile.gif Just a thought. I'd let my loved one know this, period. Also if you birth in a hospital and test positive for any "illegal" drug then, well you know CPS gets involved pretty quickly.

Michelle

Thank you! So nice to hear another "voice of reason" chiming in!
browneyedmamasf likes this.
#30 of 44 Old 06-24-2012, 12:17 AM

Quote:

Thank you! So nice to hear another "voice of reason" chiming in!

Oh boy, I must simply be unreasonable then!

Mom to 4 cat.gif, 1 dog2.gif, a 5g betta tank , 3 fiddler crabs, and a 156g stock tank pond with goldfish and lilypads!
IUI#4 success! Welcome Guy V 11/14/12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page