Is z-Pack safe to take during the first trimaster - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-04-2011, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm in my week 9 and have come down with a nasty flu/cold for the past 4-5 days.  My symptoms are getting worse.  The nurse gave me rx for z-pack though she was very reluctant for me to take it. However, I've heard that is the infection gets worse I may have to take more than once course of antibiotics.  I'm very worried about taking the z-pack, afraid it might hurt my baby.  I'm 42 yr old and it is already a risky pregnancy.  Is there any one who had to take z-pack during her first trimaster? Anyone any suggestions?  I know z-pack is a class-B drug, but it comes at no comfort to me.  Appreciate sharing your opinions.

#2 of 5 Old 04-04-2011, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Did they do any bloodwork or anything to confirm that you have a bacterial infection?  Colds and the flu are both viruses, so if it's one of those, the Z-pack won't do anything to help you.  I would personally increase my intake of Vitamin D3 and try to eliminate sugar from my diet to help my body recover on it's own. 

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 5 Old 04-04-2011, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you.  It seems like it's turning into a bronchitus/sinus infection by the look of it.  I've always been prone to sinus infections.  My sore throat is getting much worse and the mucus is getting thicker and a little yellowish (sorry I know it's disgusting).  I've been told if it's infection it will be easier to treat it at its early stages, and that if I wait too long it may take more than one course of antibiotics to get rid of it. 

#4 of 5 Old 04-05-2011, 11:00 AM

I had the same thing; cold after cold, turning into sinus infection, then bronchitis.  I went to the doctor and she gave me a zpak which I just finished, and I have to say, it's really helped.  My mucus is now clear and I'm not hacking as much.  I didn't want to take the abx either since I've avoided them all this pregnancy, but I was missing work and unable to care for my toddler, so I decided to take the meds.  I'm also using a neti pot at the same time, and this has helped with the post-nasal drip.

Still-learning wife to long-suffering and wonderful DH and manoula to DS #1 (8/09), an angel baby (7/10), and DD #1 due May 29!
#5 of 5 Old 04-05-2011, 08:56 PM

I've had to in my first and in my second trimesters. Still currently in my second, and i just got done taking it for my second time. I'm not sure why i keep getting sick, Ive even had the flu shot. My doc said it wont hurt the baby, its one of the very fewest antibiotics you can take while pregnant and not hurt it.

Mommy fo one, hubby and dog; suffers from Depression & Fibromyalgia; First Year Nursing Student!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page