6wks and paranoid about toxic chemicals. Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-05-2011, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey everyone! So I'm 6w2d and am still kind of in shock over it... in a good way!  If all goes well, it will be my first. I'm trying to learn the ropes as to the dos and don'ts until I have my first appointment in a few weeks.

I'm definitely hyperconscious of toxic crap in general and avoid it whenever possible (secondhand cig smoke, BPA, flame retardants, the list goes on...), but now that I am newly pregnant, it's amplified.  That said, our office carpet and chairs are being cleaned – obviously, as one of many employees, I didn't have any input into what type of service was to be used.  When I left today, I looked at one of their jugs of cleaner, which was a dry cleaning solution containing perchloroethylene (aka "perc").  There were other jugs of defoamer and other solutions, so I'm sure this is the heavy artillery commercial carpet cleaning junk.

So, I'm somewhat nervous about going to work tomorrow.  Am I overreacting?  Obviously there's not much I can do about it... but googling for info isn't turning up much in terms of pregnancy dangers – just that it's toxic and carcinogenic in general.  Any advice (even if it's just "RELAX"... heh!) would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 04-05-2011, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

ok...I would normally say to a new first time mom..."relax" but Id be concerned about carpet cleaning chems in my office space generally...nevermind pregnant..

honestly?/ if you can call in tomorrow to let it air out...I would...if not..its probably not the end of the world or even very bad...

for everything else from here on in..unless its obviously outside of the norm..."relax!" you're exposed to so much just being outside with traffic going by you'll make yourself crazy trying to avoid everything little thing

and whatever you do...do NOT buy/read "what to expect when you're expecting" its a vile book that will only serve to fill you with dread

about every potential thing that can go wrong...

also to food lists that you'll be given of what to avoid...is probably an extreme overreaction ... how many people have you ever heard of getting listeria from blue veined cheese...srsly...

enjoy your pregnancy, don't be affraid to rely on your instincts

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page