Can't stay full- should I be concerned? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-14-2011, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am 31 weeks pregnant, all of a sudden the past 2 or 3 days I have been starving all the time. I wake up in the middle of the night and I feel like I have this empty hole in my stomach like I haven't eaten in ages (I try not to eat in the middle of the night though). I normally am not one to have a huge appetite either.

For breakfast: half pb sandwich, 2 granola bars, bowl of raisin bran cereal

Lunch: 2 w/w wraps with hummus and fresh veggies, followed by a 3 pack of choc. chip cookies eat.gif

Dinner: 3 homemade raisin bran muffins, leftover spaghetti and meatballs

It may not seem like a lot, but to me its a ton! I am drinking a ton of water too, I try to get as close to 100 oz of water a day.

Should I be concerned I am eating too much and/or that I can't stay full?

Proud mama of 2 beautiful boys!! One born 2/2009 and the other 5/2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2011, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would go with it, you must need it.  If you think about it, you are starting to hit the time when your baby is starting to put on a lot more weight, and might just need more from you.  It will probably pass before too long, but it really doesn't seem like you are eating an insane amount, IMO.

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
Old 04-14-2011, 09:35 PM

I'm 33 weeks and am starting to feel this way.  I usually have to eat some toast before bed or in the middle of the night to tide me over until breakfast because I'm always starving now.  I've had a terrible cold for three weeks and can't taste or smell anything, but my appetite is somehow heartier than ever! 

Still-learning wife to long-suffering and wonderful DH and manoula to DS #1 (8/09), an angel baby (7/10), and DD #1 due May 29!
Old 04-14-2011, 10:19 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Right there with you. I'm hungry ALL THE TIME, which is a huge change from my prior eating habits of "once a day if I remember." >.> (WHAT? I'M BUSY! >.> )

To me, yes, that does seem like a lot of food! I know I eat small portions when I do eat, but still - half a sandwich, 2 granola bars, AND a bowl of cereal for breakfast? Nobody can tell me they eat that much food on a regular basis. ;)

However, I don't think it's really anything to worry about. If you're hungry, then eat. I'm eating a lot more than I'm used to and the hardest part is, I still can't eat very much at a time (not used to it!) so I'm just eating..... ALL THE TIME. >.<

My only suggestion would be to look at your average diet and make sure you're getting enough fiber and protein, to help some of that food stick around a little longer. =)

Just a homegrown heretic hopelessly in love with her amazing DH, 2.5 year old Eli, and now expecting a new arrival April 2015.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Ha Ha!  I'm normally a thin person (5'7 and 122lbs outside of pregnancy), but the MOMENT I get pregnant I have to start eating and eating and eating.  This time I'm breastfeeding as well, so all-I-do-is-eat!  That sounds like a small to normal breakfast for me.  Yesterday I ate..

Breakfast:

1.5 large w/w bagels with cream cheese

banana

2-3 mandarin oranges

greek yogurt

Snack:

dried mango

almonds

Lunch (at 11:00am)

Panda express 3 item combo w/veggies at the side instead of rice.

Snack:

w/w and organic peanut butter and jelly sandwich (this has over 500 calories!)

dried mango

blended coffee drink from Starbucks

Dinner:

Stir-fry veggies

Fresh tuna steak

rice

Bedtime snack:

3 oranges

greek yogurt (these are really high in protein so I eat them a lot)

small icecream sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeterna View Post

Right there with you. I'm hungry ALL THE TIME, which is a huge change from my prior eating habits of "once a day if I remember." >.> (WHAT? I'M BUSY! >.> )

To me, yes, that does seem like a lot of food! I know I eat small portions when I do eat, but still - half a sandwich, 2 granola bars, AND a bowl of cereal for breakfast? Nobody can tell me they eat that much food on a regular basis. ;)

However, I don't think it's really anything to worry about. If you're hungry, then eat. I'm eating a lot more than I'm used to and the hardest part is, I still can't eat very much at a time (not used to it!) so I'm just eating..... ALL THE TIME. >.<

My only suggestion would be to look at your average diet and make sure you're getting enough fiber and protein, to help some of that food stick around a little longer. =)

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
Old 04-17-2011, 03:51 AM

Ok, Abra, I'm just impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraisme View Post

Ha Ha!  I'm normally a thin person (5'7 and 122lbs outside of pregnancy), but the MOMENT I get pregnant I have to start eating and eating and eating.  This time I'm breastfeeding as well, so all-I-do-is-eat!  That sounds like a small to normal breakfast for me.  Yesterday I ate..

Breakfast:

1.5 large w/w bagels with cream cheese

banana

2-3 mandarin oranges

greek yogurt

Snack:

dried mango

almonds

Lunch (at 11:00am)

Panda express 3 item combo w/veggies at the side instead of rice.

Snack:

w/w and organic peanut butter and jelly sandwich (this has over 500 calories!)

dried mango

blended coffee drink from Starbucks

Dinner:

Stir-fry veggies

Fresh tuna steak

rice

Bedtime snack:

3 oranges

greek yogurt (these are really high in protein so I eat them a lot)

small icecream sandwich

Still-learning wife to long-suffering and wonderful DH and manoula to DS #1 (8/09), an angel baby (7/10), and DD #1 due May 29!
Old 04-18-2011, 09:15 AM

That would be fairly normal for me! I've been eating like crazy all through this pregnancy. I wouldn't worry--just check your fiber and protein intake like a previous poster said (your diet doesn't sound all that high-protein to me). You need at least a certain amount of fat too.

User Tag List