Symphysis pubis dysfunction - help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 04-16-2011, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you have this, what were the last few weeks of your pregnancy like?

I'm 32 weeks+, and just started experiencing this in the last few days. It's already pretty darn painful (even just walking around my apartment), and seems to be getting worse. I think I may have overdone it at work yesterday and really messed myself up. greensad.gif

Any advice? Does this mean I'm basically stuck in bed for the next few weeks? Is it likely to get progressively worse?

TIA! :)

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#2 of 14 Old 04-16-2011, 04:58 PM

I know people who have had luck with seeing a Chiropractor for that problem.  

#3 of 14 Old 04-16-2011, 06:43 PM

I've got it, and it's no fun.  I'm pregnant with my second, and it started much earlier for me this time (like 10-12 weeks).  I only recently realized what it actually is-- I had just thought it was a normal pregnancy pain that I was having more intensely for whatever reason.  In any case, I started going to the chiropractor and that has really made the most difference.  Also, if you have access to a swimming pool, it's an excellent source of relief. It really takes the strain of supporting your body off of your pelvis and symphysis pubis, and at least when I'm in the water, I'm totally pain-free.

I don't think you have to be bed-ridden for the rest of your pregnancy, but I would suggest taking it easy when possible.  I know that for me, a lot of walking will really mess me up for a day or two. Also, I'd say avoid the movements that cause you discomfort, obviously.  Things I have to be careful about-- putting on pants while standing up, any kind of quick/harsh leg movements, going from lying down to sitting/standing, etc.  Listen to your body and be kind to yourself. :)

#4 of 14 Old 04-16-2011, 06:52 PM

I didn't actually answer your question, I just realized.  I think mine did get progressively worse up to a point, but once I was in the last weeks, either my movement was limited enough by being huge that it wasn't much of a problem, or it just leveled out. I wasn't in agony or anything, except for one time-- There was a large friendly dog who was about to jump on me, and I kind of made a kicking motion with my leg (I didn't kick the dog, I swear!) I just sort of thrust my knee out protectively, but it was a really jerky motion, and I thought I ripped something apart in my groin.  Not fun!  I was hobbling for a couple of days.  Anyway, see a chiropractor and just be conscious of how you move. Hope you're feeling better soon.

#5 of 14 Old 04-16-2011, 06:54 PM

I had it with my last LO.  It was excruciating!  I saw a chiropractor - only once!  and it was a HUGE improvement!  Not all chiro's know what they are doing with pregnant women - so look for one who specializes - the one i found did not accept my insurance - but it was the best out of pocket cash i ever spent!

Also a brace helped whenever i was walking anywhere  - like a supportive belt type thing ...i found one on Amazon i think! 

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#6 of 14 Old 04-17-2011, 07:33 PM

This is my third pregnancy with it and Im 36+ weeks preg with #7. What I have found is this- normally the prescription is to bind. Getting a pregnancy binder or the sort.

What I will SAY from personal experience is that the binder makes it WORSE for me. When I really started having pains this time, my midwife reminded me of the binder and I found it and strapped it on for an hour or so. But then I had to take it off to go out and it was SO excrucatingly painful I ended up going to a chiropractor across the street from my husband's work and bursting into tears in their lobby trying to explain what I was in for. It had taken me 10 minutes to even get into my landcruiser to drive and every time I lifted my foot to press on the brake or gas it was painful.

From reading I found that, if you BIND and truly have an offset pubic bone- it can compress it making it worse. The best thing to do is to have an adjustment and THEN bind. From reading I also found that the best technique to look for to help this issue is the Webster Technique. I haven't found anyone who does it near me yet, but it's supposed to be especially helpful.

Since my PB is so over stretched- baby has a LOT more room to descend and guess where he's been hanging out for the last few weeks? Yup RIGHT on my cervix. So I was calling the midwives in pain again last friday gasping every few seconds as he would JAM his head into my cervix because he's so engaged into my pelvis.

I project this will be a fast birth.

Also, research birthing positions that you should AVOID. There are things you can do that make it worse. Make sure you keep your knees together as you get in and out of bed also. This helps a lot. GOOD LUCK!!!!

-Jyn, Blessed mom of Abbie ('99), Gracie ('00), AngelBaby ('01), Danny ('02), Jacob ('03), Eva Bella ('06), Angel-Baby2 ('07), Emmalia ('09), Justus John Mark ('11), Jude Ellias Due 7-16-13

#7 of 14 Old 04-18-2011, 06:00 AM

This is my second time with it (3rd pregnancy).  I'm also 32+ weeks.  In the past few days it has really gotten more painful but it is being in bed that is the worst for me.  Every night I roll from side to side -- I start on one side and in a few hours wake up with the hip I am laying on throbbing, so I switch (slowly) to the other side (waking my husband up each time with my grunting and "ow"ing) and then in a few hours I wake up and that hip hurts.  Then both of them are hurting so I lay on my back for a little while to get some relief and then roll back over to the first side.  In the morning it is starting to take me 5 minutes to get out of bed and the pain is lasting longer after I get up.  Fun times.  I never did anything about it before, but this time I am toying with the idea of seeing a chiropractor if I can find one who charges a reasonable rate since I keep hearing such great things about what they can do.  So far I can still walk without pain but there are still several weeks for even that to become hell. :)  Hang in there, it does go away after birth!

SAHM to Bird (6/07) and Bear (7/09), and now enjoying our newest additionbabyboy.gif, born June 1, 2011!  bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.gif

#8 of 14 Old 04-18-2011, 06:19 AM

I started having some signs of it around 34-35 weeks and realized that I was really just overdoing it. I was still working with my horses every morning and forgetting that I needed to be a little bit more careful and to make it a point to "warm up" into physical activity. Even getting in and out of my truck, I would have to pause a moment and remind myself to slowly slide out and make sure that I was using the proper muscles instead of just jumping out. Instead of making big, floating strides as I moved I reined myself in and developed a more suitable "way of going" where I took shorter and slower strides when I moved about and it helped alot. Since then the pain has gone away, the only thing that remains is the painful hip throb overnight as a PP has stated. I do find myself flipping from one side to the other every 30 minutes to 2 hours throughout the night, but that's pretty normal for me at this point since I'm "due" tomorrow. If it gets too bad I go out and sleep on the couch since it is more firm than my bed. I also sleep with a pillow between my legs, which helps alot.

#9 of 14 Old 04-18-2011, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

This is just how I was in my last pregnancy as well.  If I stayed within my very small limit of physical movement, then I was ok(ish).  If I walked too much in one day I would be totally out of commission for several days after.  There is a balance between moving a little and not moving too much.  Even if it hurts, it's still good to get up and walk some every day.   This time I plan on seeing a chiro as much as possible and maybe getting acupuncture as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieMama View Post

I didn't actually answer your question, I just realized.  I think mine did get progressively worse up to a point, but once I was in the last weeks, either my movement was limited enough by being huge that it wasn't much of a problem, or it just leveled out. I wasn't in agony or anything, except for one time-- There was a large friendly dog who was about to jump on me, and I kind of made a kicking motion with my leg (I didn't kick the dog, I swear!) I just sort of thrust my knee out protectively, but it was a really jerky motion, and I thought I ripped something apart in my groin.  Not fun!  I was hobbling for a couple of days.  Anyway, see a chiropractor and just be conscious of how you move. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#10 of 14 Old 04-18-2011, 07:40 AM

I'm pretty sure (self diagnosed) that I had that with my last. It started about 20w, I saw a chiropractor regularly and the symptoms improved drastically. I worked 12 hour shifts as a nurse until 1w before my due date, with my 9lb9oz chunky monkey!

Melissa-Mama to Allyson carrot.gif 1-22-07 and Katelyn homebirth.jpg 5-14-09 and Paul 1-2-12 my 10 lb 6oz. homebirthed baby boy.

#11 of 14 Old 04-18-2011, 09:42 AM

My chiro did wonders for me this pregnancy (and last). I wouldn't hesitate to see one, it really helps- I hope that you get some relief soon, I know how awful it is!

#12 of 14 Old 04-19-2011, 10:44 PM

I had SPD with my last pregnancy and have had it with this one as well. It was very painful, especially getting out of bed. Sleeping with a pillow between my legs helps but I can't jump out of bed or OUCH! I can't sit on the floor when it's flaring because I can feel my hips wanting to misalign everytime. What helped me? A chiropractor. If you call to find one, mention the SPD and ask if they are educated regarding it, if so also talk to them about your sacroilliac joint. When I was adjusted, I felt the baby reposition higher (I didn't even realize how low I was carrying until he adjusted me). I experienced MUCH relief after the first day.

Birthing positions are important to be aware of, as well as avoiding the lithotomy position. Don't over extend your legs, if you are opening them or stepping on them and feel pressure or discomfort, try to stay off of it until you are able to get adjusted. The real concern is if you tear. If you tear, from my research the only alternative is a surgery (and possibly higher risks during birth). All fours or standing up during birth are the best positions if I recall correctly. :)

I hope you find the information you need and are also able to find comfort!! Oh and for a chiro, I prefer the gonstead method but I've heard others enjoy and prefer the adjustor method. Just another thing to look for if you choose to get a chiro. Hope you find relief soon!

#13 of 14 Old 04-20-2011, 12:13 PM

I have had SPD since about 22 weeks (pregnant with my first).  I saw a PT for about 12 weeks and she did twice weekly adjustments plus strengthening exercises/stretching that really seemed to help.  I did that until my insurance ran out, and was afraid it was going to get so much worse, but it really hasn't.  I'm due tomorrow, and I have to say that for the most part for me, the last 2-3 weeks have actually been less painful - my guess is that her head is now dropped into my pelvis, and sort of holding the bones in place so that they're not shifting and grinding over each other as much as they had been?  I dunno...but that's been my experience so far.  GL and hope yours doesn't keep getting worse...it's miserable :( 

#14 of 14 Old 04-20-2011, 04:09 PM

I developed SPD around 32 weeks with my 3rd pregnancy.  It's exactly like everyone has been saying - just incredibly excruciating, and physical activity is severely limited and difficult.  Once I figured out what it was, though, I located a chiropractor who was very familiar with pregnancy issues.  The first two weeks, I had 2 appointments per week, and I was doing 98% better after just the first week.  And then I went ahead and had weekly appointments all the way up until I was in labor.  Since the chiropractor resolved the issue, I didn't have any extra concerns for labor itself- I was able to labor and birth in the position of my choice (though the idea of being careful was near my thoughts at all times).   Now that I'm in my 4th pregnancy, I'm of course very concerned about developing SPD again, and I'm in a new location and will have to find a new chiro.  I keep thinking I may start regular chiro appointments soon, to see if I can *prevent* SPD.  Anyone ever have luck with that?

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page