Pierced nipple crusty and peeling? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-18-2011, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm about 24 weeks pregnant, and recently in the past few weeks I've noticed that my pierced nipple is peeling quite a bit and there is also a lot of gunge and crusties coming out of the piercing. It's really icky! I've had my nipple pierced for about 5 years and have never had any problems with it, it doesn't hurt or itch or anything, so could the crusties be milk or something that's spilling out through the hole? My other nipple is totally normal, aside from browning a bit at the edges. What gives?

#2 of 6 Old 04-18-2011, 01:23 PM

Probably colostrum.  When your milk comes in it will travel through the holes too.   

#3 of 6 Old 04-18-2011, 02:01 PM

I had my nipples pierced for a long time.  My guess is also colostrum.  Unfortunately for me at least, the nipple piercings are staying out and I won't re-do them until my breastfeeding years are behind me.  It just wasn't compatible for me.  Though I know other woman who successfully keep their piercings and breastfeed.

I'm pregnant now and recently had to remove a few piercings, like my much loved dermal.  For some reason my body is rejecting them and not loving them this pregnancy even though it wasn't an issue during other pregnancies.  So infection or irritation could be another possible cause of what's happening with yours.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#4 of 6 Old 04-19-2011, 03:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks I thought it might be colostrum, I just thought it strange that it was only happening to my pierced nipple. I guess the leaking will happen sooner because there's a few more holes in that nipple? I'm really hoping I can keep my piercing in throughout breastfeeding! I've had to get rid of my conch and nose piercing during this pregnancy as well which I was none too pleased about! My nipple hasn't been giving me any discomfort yet, although I do get a weird cold sensation sometimes almost like I can feel the bar through my nipple. It's odd I've never had that sensation with any of my piercings including my nipple.

#5 of 6 Old 04-19-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitMomma View Post

Thanks I thought it might be colostrum, I just thought it strange that it was only happening to my pierced nipple. I guess the leaking will happen sooner because there's a few more holes in that nipple?

That would be my guess. I had both of mine pierced, but took them out about 5 years before I even got pregnant. The holes are still there, and they leak like crazy! With my son, I had to wear nursing pads the last few months of pregnancy and the entire first year I breastfed him. This pregnancy, I started leaking around 15 weeks, but it's not too bad yet.

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#6 of 6 Old 04-19-2011, 07:55 PM

I actually started having this problem a few years ago, long before I was pregnant. >.<

If your problem is like my problem, it's probably not related to lactation. It gets worse for me when I wear a tight-fitting bra, or any bra for long periods of time. Try easing up the pressure on the piercing (looser bra, and take it off when you get home) and see if that helps. =)

Just a grad student hopelessly in love with her amazing DH and wee baby Eli (12/06/11).

1394/2012 in 2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page