The New Gestational Diabetes Support Thread - Page 10 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#271 of 296 Old 11-08-2011, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In general, I can get away with more now that I'm on insulin, but it still seems to vary, and the recommended foods don't necessarily seem to apply to me.  Sometimes I can get away with wacky stuff, like two slices of pizza, othertimes, not.  4 small apple slivers with some all-natural pb as a snack did NOT work well, but I can apparently eat 1/2 a package of tofu and 1/2 a cabbage in one sitting and still be under 100 at an hour.  Craziness! 

#272 of 296 Old 11-08-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seana View Post

Hey guys--I need some encouragement, or butt-kicking, or something.  I was diagnosed with GD in July, (I guess they tested me early because  my last baby was big?)  and I was working really hard to do everything I could to keep my numbers under control.  I lost 10 pounds from my pre-preg weight, and I've been SO HUNGRY!  Finally, it wasn't working, so I got on insulin, which resulted in getting dropped by my homebirth midwife.  I am so tired of this diet, and upset that I have to have this baby in a hospital, that I'm just having trouble sticking to my diet now and I've been "overeating" lately.  I need to get back on track, because I still need to avoid a C-section, or having my vagina totally obliterated,  or obviously, the baby having issues, but I'm so tired and discouraged and sick of my 'safe' foods.  If I can wrangle my freedom of hospital choice from Tricare, I shouldn't have a 'terrible' hospital experience, since the place I want to go allows laboring in tubs even for GD moms, and encourages breastfeeding to stabilize the baby before trying any of the weird stuff like formula, etc.   The weather was bad for a while, which made it hard to exercise, but It's warmed back up again.  I need to just get out of this slump before the baby gets too big.  After all, as my ever-helpful mom pointed out, "If you have a gigantic girl, we can't dress her in cute outfits!"  (Do I have the worst attitude of anyone here?  I feel like I'm always complaining, but being constantly hungry makes me constantly grouchy!  The rest of you seem to be much more...emotionally mature). 

Hi Seana, I know how you feel about the attitude. Thankfully I've made a positive turn around recently. I had GD last pregnancy and it led to all the interventions on the planet and I was so fearful of getting it this time I dropped 40 pounds and tried to eat the diabetes diet as soon as I found out I was pregnant. But closer to the date of my GTT I started binging due to the stress of failing it. I was so angry, I knew I had GD because I felt so thirsty all the time. I even contemplated putting a container into my hand bag to pour the liquid in when I did the test ha ha. I was desperate not to be diagnosed with GD. Because I don't want another c-section! I want a natural birth.

Anyway I felt my body failed me and I was angry at myself, angry at my husband angry at the world why do I have to miss out on all the yum food, like I need another stress in my life. I had a cry and a sulk and realised after a few days that I can't change the fact and the only thing I have real control of is my attitude (as hormonal as I am!).

So now I'm focusing on the fact that this diet is really good for my body, for my baby, I was a slightly chubby child and that wasn't fun so I really don't want to put my daughter at risk of obesity and can't wait to dress her up:), I'm looking at heaps of fashion mags to see what nice clothes I can wear in my slim body after I have this bub, I'm thinking about how great it feels to be light and healthy, I'm remembering how disappointed I've been this past 18 months because of how my first birthing experience went and how it is in my power to change that, I'm thinking I have had the chance to experience the most amazing foods in my life ( a lot) now I'm having a break from them and can have some again after baby, something else to look forward to, I'm thinking about how I'm lucky to be pregnant because I know a few women who can't get pregnant.

I'm sorry that your hungry all the time that's not great. I've had major sugar withdrawals in the last week going onto the diet talk about headaches and grumpy. But I know it will pass. 

I have 13 weeks to go how long do you have?

I hope some of what I've said is helpful. I know each person goes through their own journey to positivity and when your not in that place another persons positive attitude can make you sick lol. But seriously maybe tomorrow I won't feel so great or next week. My son slept thru the night last night can't remember the last time he did so I feel like a different person this morning.  Good luck!

#273 of 296 Old 11-09-2011, 01:20 PM

Thank you!  That was a good pep talk!  It's much better hearing it from someone actually "in the trenches"!  I'm due Jan 20.  (ready to be done with this whole GD experience but really hoping the baby can come on it's own time!) 

#274 of 296 Old 11-12-2011, 10:58 AM

Just wanted to pop by and let you all know that I had my baby boy on Sunday the 6th. I even got the natural, intervention free hospital birth I was aiming for.joy.gif

He was 7 lbs, 2 oz and had no blood sugar issues at all. Perfectly healthy!

This thread helped me SO MUCH during my pregnancy. I don't think I would have been able to get on top of my diet and get my numbers controlled in half the time that I did without you guys. At first, I felt so ashamed! I didn't want to tell anyone or talk about it at all. I felt like a failure, like I must have done something wrong. It was nice to come here and see that I wasn't alone. And seriously...these support threads have so much awesome info on GD in them. I learned way more here than I did at any of my appointments at the diabetes clinic. I'm so glad that I was able to make my body the healthiest place possible for my little guy to grow. That I was able to give him such a solid start. And that I learned a lot about food in the process. I was telling my midwife after I was done laboring that I think everyone should have to be diabetic at least once in their life! It really changes your outlook when you walk through the grocery store and see how much sugar and carbs are everywhere.

Best of luck to those of you still working toward your due date! grouphug.gif

#275 of 296 Old 11-12-2011, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Congratulations Thesan!

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#276 of 296 Old 11-13-2011, 04:07 PM

So happy to hear that, Thesan! That definitely is encouraging news! Congrats! (Eat something fun for me!)
#277 of 296 Old 11-14-2011, 10:49 AM

Thesan, congrats! I really agree with your attitude and in the end, I decided that it was a good thing I got my GD dx with my second baby for all those reasons.

dissertating mom to three

#278 of 296 Old 11-15-2011, 06:53 AM

We also had our little guy almost 2 wks ago. Unfortunately I had to get c section because water had broke and way past 24 hr mark so risk of infection and not enough progress. Baby did have low sugar so he had to be monitored and put on IV. Hes ok now. I'm sad that I wasnt able to have a natural birth but very glad to finally meet our little boy. Hopefully next time around will be smoother.

#279 of 296 Old 02-11-2012, 10:33 AM

I ended up getting a great OB off-post who let me go all the way to 42 weeks before scheduling an induction, and I finally went into labor the night before! She was tiny 6# 13oz) and we had a really nice, intervention-free birth. I am so glad things turned out so well! She did well on all the NSTs and ultrasounds, which is why the OB wasn't pushy about inducing, but still, I feel lucky to have found a dr willing to be so laid-back.
#280 of 296 Old 02-13-2012, 06:29 PM

That is wonderful Seana! it is so great to have someone in the medical field that is open minded. 

So I took a 75g 2 hr OGTT today. I had GD with my first pregnancy but passed my test in my second pregnancy at 22 weeks however my DS was 9lbs 11oz but healthy. I had been monitoring my blood sugars at home and they have mostly been good when I am eating on a GD type diet but tend to go a bit higher when I indulge in a higher carb meal. I was hoping to avoid the test and just be referred to the clinic but they wanted the test results so I decided to do the 2hr instead of the 1hr and then have to do another test. I tested on my glucomter after each blood draw and according to my glucometer my fasting was good 5.0 (90) but my 1hr 10.9 (196) and 2hr 9.4 (169) which in Canada to fail you need to be >5.3, >10.9, >9.4 so if my meter is correct I failed but just a bit over.

The main thing that I worry about besides baby's health is losing my midwife as I really want a VBA2C and I know that will be a lot harder to fight for with an OB. 

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

#281 of 296 Old 02-25-2012, 03:44 PM

I have had PCOS for the last 12 years.  I'm 28 weeks pregnant with baby #2 and got the call yesterday that I failed 2 of my 3 hour tests.  I meet with the NP at my doc office for GD Counseling next week.  I thought I'd be fine with this diet because I've done low GI diets before since it's really the only way I've ever lost weight with the PCOS insulin resistance.  The more I read the more I'm getting stressed.  With a 19 month, a rough pregnancy anyway, working 40+ hours a day, and a husband that works night shift (opposite of mine) I'm just not sure I have the energy or time to make this work as well as I want it to.  NOT TO MENTION the money.  It doesn't seem like it's the best budget friendly diet or treatment.  The costs of the testing strips and lancets with all the testing most people have to do on top of all the food is stressing me out too.  I know I should probably just wait and see what the NP says.  I guess I need some encouragement that I can (and HAVE) to do this!! 

#282 of 296 Old 02-26-2012, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

alicatj - sorry for your diagnosis. We all have bad feelings through it but ultimately you can do it! As for budget - I actually find when I'm on with my diet we save money & budgetting is easier because our week to week grocery cost is more consistent.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#283 of 296 Old 02-26-2012, 09:53 AM

I didn't think it was too expensive, either.  I wasn't buying as many bread products or baking desserts as much, which significantly reduced our bill.  I think our bill was higher in general during pregnancy, because we bought a lot of convenience foods that we don't normally purchase but I couldn't cook as much for a bunch of different reasons....

Your insurance should cover the cost of the test strips.  Have your doc or midwife write a prescription for them.  

#284 of 296 Old 02-28-2012, 06:06 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

So I'm in the process of switching doctors after the NP at my old practice was rude to me and lectured me about not coming in for the glucose test when no one had even asked me to do so.

I have a glucometer and I have been testing PP and fasting. I got a reading of 126 this morning fasting, immediately retested and it was 123. (Once when it was over 120 I washed my hands, retested and it was 86). I'm feeling discouraged about finding a good doc who will make me feel empowered in managing this, whether I end up testing as GD or not, both my parents are type II and I know I need to watch my diet. Last night I had a lot of sugar before bed (two popsicles) more than I've had in weeks.

I'm 16 weeks and I am wondering what the protocol is about early testing and the advantages and disadvantages.

p.s. Do expired test strips matter? My parents gave me a TON of them that expired in '10.

ecstatic about BFP #2 after another round of Clomid,
TWINS!
EDD 2/15/2015
thrilled to welcome #1 after 17 months of ttc, 1 round of Clomid

DS LG  08/03/12
#285 of 296 Old 07-08-2012, 08:37 AM

Looks like this thread hasn't been active in awhile, but I'm hoping someone will be able to shed some light on my glucometer readings.  Most of my 1 hour post meals are good, right around 100.  My morning fasting numbers are right around 85-90 though, where they were more like 78 in my last pregnancy.  I've also had a couple of 1 hr readings in the 160s - once after eating a breakfast with eggs, gluten free bread and jam, and juice to wash down my floridix, and once after having cake and ice cream at my son's birthday party.  By 2 hours I'm always back to 100-110.  I also did a home version of the glucose screen this morning with 50g sugar from grape juice and had 108 at 1 hour, which is reassuring.  Still, if I'm spiking into the 160s it seems like that's too high and I need to be even more careful.

And I can't find much information about what it means to have a few spikes in blood sugar.  Any insight?

#286 of 296 Old 07-08-2012, 08:56 AM

a

#287 of 296 Old 07-08-2012, 10:15 AM

I'm 25 weeks.  I actually didn't have GD last time, I chose to test with a glucometer rather than take the GTT and had low numbers.  This time I'm with a midwifery practice that really stresses the GTT, so I'll be taking it at 28 weeks with grape juice.  Happily it looks like that won't be a problem but I still want to understand the peaks.

I've been eating a low carb and low sugar diet since I got pregnant.  We actually have been trying a gluten free diet on and off for the past couple of months to see if it controls my DS's eczema, whereas in my first pregnancy I ate more whole wheat toast, crackers, etc.  I've cut out most grains and have replaced them with lots of green leafy vegetables this time around.  I'm wondering if that contributes to my body not appreciating the occasional sugary treat, but as you said it sounds like it's mostly doing fine.  I'm just trying to figure out if it's okay to have the occasional treat or if I really need to have absolutely no sugar whatsoever and very limited carbs.

#288 of 296 Old 07-08-2012, 10:35 AM

Oh, sorry!  I misunderstood.  I thought since you mentioned your fasting #s from last time that you had GD. Oops!

Honestly i think you're doing great.  Those numbers don't sound concerning to me.  It probably is due to your general low-carb/low-sugar diet, like you said.  Gluten-free isn't always low carb (sometimes higher carb, in fact) so be aware of that.  Obviously if you're replacing with veggies and greens, that is low carb, but gluten free grains have lots of carbs :-)  I'm sure you know that, I am just mentioning it because when I had GD I thought "oh hey, maybe if I eat GF stuff it will be low-carb" which was not the case.

Good luck on your GTT!  

#289 of 296 Old 07-08-2012, 10:59 AM

No worries, and thanks for the info about the 2 hours readings being the most important for many care providers.  That's helpful! Yeah, I suspect that the GF bread I had for breakfast spiked it that morning.  When I checked it this morning it has 30g of carbs per slice!  Good to know since I did think I was being healthier by having that than a slice of whole wheat toast. Not so much apparently.

#290 of 296 Old 07-15-2012, 08:10 AM

I know this thread isn't very active, but I am hoping someone can answer a question for me!

I had a brownie for dessert last night, and I took my blood sugar level 2 hours after eating it (I also went for a brisk walk after the brownie), and my BG was 85. I didn't have anything else to eat before bed (does toothpaste count?), and when I took my BG this morning upon waking (about 11 hours later), it was 93. 

I am thinking it's due to the fact that I didn't have a bedtime snack, because when I do, my morning numbers are usually mid/high 80s. It's just so weird (to me) that my BG was higher when I hadn't had anything to eat. 

It's so hard to find good, reliable, consistent knowledge on the internet! I have not been diagnosed with GD, but I am overweight, so I am monitoring to be on the safe side. Some of my numbers are high-I had a 138 two hour reading once after a meal with lots of BBQ sauce, but for the most part I am back around 120 or lower at the 2 hour mark, and I had a 151 once (that completely freaked me out, but when I re-stuck myself, it was 8 points lower), after a totally off-plan meal.

My numbers are even better when I exercise--even a short but brisk walk helps (hence the 85 after eating a big brownie!)... but it's all still confusing and kind of scary.

I am planning for a home birth (this is my third child, but first home birth), and I am fearful of ending up with a macrosomic baby who just won't come out. I don't think I will, given that my numbers aren't insane, and I am being mindful of my diet and BG numbers... but it's still scary.

Would love to hear from... anyone at all. haha :) Thanks in advance!

~Jennifer :
Mom to Aiden (March 2005) and James (April 2006), pregnant with baby #3, due November-ish

#291 of 296 Old 07-15-2012, 10:24 AM

a

#292 of 296 Old 07-15-2012, 04:07 PM

Doesn't sound like anything to worry about to me either.  93 fasting really isn't that high - it's only this year that they dropped it down to 90-95.  Previously it was less than 100, and before that it was less than 110.   My midwife says around 90 is normal for many people.

I haven't been diagnosed GD either (taking a version of the GTT soon but don't expect it to be a problem based on home testing with juice and post prandials) and am monitoring just to be safe since I had some unexpectedly weird numbers, especially with fasting.   The other thing about the GD stuff that I find strange is that when you dig a bit deeper, you realize that they are making these decisions without a whole lot of data.  They're basically saying "in one or two large studies this is what was average, so we want all women to be around this average and we're willing to use insulin to get them there if necessary."  Those women also were not necessarily eating great diets.  There's an article where Dr. Brewer, of the Brewer diet, suggests that well nourished women may have higher fasting levels because their bodies are better able to keep them from having the lows and highs.   I haven't seen that anywhere else, but who knows. Henci Goer also has some great articles questioning the link especially between controlled glucose issues and negative outcomes.   I also read that insulin ages the placenta!  Yikes.  Not something I would want to do just for borderline fasting numbers.  Obviously full blown GD would require more analysis...

#293 of 296 Old 07-20-2012, 07:20 AM

Seeking some guidance from those of you who have BTDT!

I failed the 1hr GTT and declined the 3hr in favor of monitoring at home. My week + of monitoring showed good numbers (2 hour pp under 100) with the exception of breakfast. After my provider reviewed my results, she requested diet changes for breakfast and continued spot-checking. After 2 days of borderline breakfast numbers, I decided to do a full day of monitoring yesterday. I did not have a single number under 120 at 2 hours pp. I was not being "careful" about my food but neither was it a complete splurge day. 

What are some quick, easy modifications you have found to diet that result in better postprandials? 

thanks!

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#294 of 296 Old 07-31-2012, 06:03 AM

The simple thing to do is to cut out all sugar/sweeteners and refined carbs, and to always pair something with natural sugars like fruit with a protein.  Whether it's easy to do is another thing!

#295 of 296 Old 07-31-2012, 02:07 PM

Thanks azohri!  I had my consult with the dietitian yesterday, and I think I actually wasn't eating enough or frequently enough. Since I started following the 3 meals/3 snacks plan I've had awesome numbers. 

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#296 of 296 Old 07-31-2012, 04:17 PM

That's great!  Glad you figured out what would work for you.

Tags
Quest For Conception Gender Infertility And Egyptian Medical Traditions , Induction Of Ovulation Current Concepts In Obstetrics And Gynecology , Diabetes The Complete Guide The Essential Introduction To Managing Diabetes

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page