The New Gestational Diabetes Support Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#121 of 296 Old 09-05-2011, 02:46 PM
 
scottishmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in a little apartment
Posts: 1,077
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I find that I can't have more than one serving of carbs per meal. Those carbs also need to be very high in fiber. Today I had a sandwich with white bread for lunch and my bs was 150 at two hours. Yesterday I had a small bowl of granola and my bs was over 150. I personally think that diabetes dietitians over estimate the amount of carbs we should eat. If I am really careful throughout the day I can keep my readings below 100, which is awesome, and not too much work.

Sorry to just jump in to this thread without introducing myself. I'm scottishmommy and I have gestational diabetes! I'm glad for this support thread!

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
scottishmommy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#122 of 296 Old 09-05-2011, 02:54 PM
 
BeanSprout Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am honestly still really questioning whether I actually have gestational diabetes.  I didn't test for about a week because I forgot my meter at my mom's house and had to get it back from her. When I got it back from her my fasting that morning was 82, and all of my 2 hour after meal tests were less than 95.  Today my fasting was 89, and 2 hours after I had cheese pizza and breadsticks for lunch, my sugar was 107.  I'm glad my sugars look so normal but I'm really annoyed that I'm still being forced through this high risk clinic and management if I don't actually need it.


wife to my  love.gif, mom toenergy.gif, blahblah.gif, jog.gif, and 3rdtri.gif ! a person is a person, no matter how small.

****5****10****15****20****25****30****35stork-girl.gif***40*

BeanSprout Mama is offline  
#123 of 296 Old 09-05-2011, 04:26 PM
 
jbk21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

True.  I checked my string cheese and it's 2.5g fat, 6g protein, and only 1 carb.  The bread is 19g carb, 6g protein.  I guess that since I am not diagnosed yet as GD, and am just supposed to be eating what I'd normally eat, I am not watching my carbs.  I mean, I kind of do (like after that high lunch reading yesterday I didn't get dessert with my family as planned even though I would have.  And I did limit my carbs for dinner because of it as well.)  So I guess I'm confused on why my numbers seem so borderline sometimes.  I wish they were all either really high or really low :-)  So assuming that I don't have GD I would have thought my numbers after some of these meals would be lower.  But it doesn't seem clear that I do have it either.  I know there is a weird "impaired glucose tolerance" middle ground and maybe that's where I fall.  I don't know.... greensad.gif  I guess I'll have to see what my MW thinks.  It's sure difficult to eat how I truly normally do while testing for GD.  You know?  I want to watch my carbs, but I'm not supposed to be doing that (yet) but when my numbers are high I want to protect the baby.....  Argh.  I just want a diagnosis either way.

 


Oh, today I ate at an asian restaurant for lunch.  Probably not the best choice carb-wise but I thought what the heck, I'm supposed to eat "normal" meals so here I go (no dessert though).  At 1 hr it was 190!  After I saw that reading I exercised (20 min walk) and retested at 2 hrs and it was still at 130.  Ugh. I would have thought some activity would have brought it down much more....

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

Cheese is generally more of a carb source than a protein source - check your labels. This goes for most dairy products in fact. Your whole grain bread is also going to be fairly minimal in the protein category unless it is ezekiel or something similar - again check your label. In our house we only count a food as a protein source if it is the highest count of macronutrients for that food (ie. peanut butter is therefore a fat because there are more grams of fat than protein).



 

jbk21 is offline  
#124 of 296 Old 09-05-2011, 04:29 PM
 
jbk21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


See?  I wish my numbers were this low.  I hate being in limbo.  I do feel like I have some sort of impaired glucose tolerance because despite my wonky normal meal numbers, if I have dessert the numbers skyrocket.  

 

Could you talk to your doc/MW about this?  I would think they would agree that this is odd... 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanSprout Mama View Post

I am honestly still really questioning whether I actually have gestational diabetes.  I didn't test for about a week because I forgot my meter at my mom's house and had to get it back from her. When I got it back from her my fasting that morning was 82, and all of my 2 hour after meal tests were less than 95.  Today my fasting was 89, and 2 hours after I had cheese pizza and breadsticks for lunch, my sugar was 107.  I'm glad my sugars look so normal but I'm really annoyed that I'm still being forced through this high risk clinic and management if I don't actually need it.



 

jbk21 is offline  
#125 of 296 Old 09-05-2011, 05:03 PM
 
Thesan83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Your numbers sound a lot like GD to me. Just being capable of getting up to 190 is a big red flag, I think.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk21 View Post

True.  I checked my string cheese and it's 2.5g fat, 6g protein, and only 1 carb.  The bread is 19g carb, 6g protein.  I guess that since I am not diagnosed yet as GD, and am just supposed to be eating what I'd normally eat, I am not watching my carbs.  I mean, I kind of do (like after that high lunch reading yesterday I didn't get dessert with my family as planned even though I would have.  And I did limit my carbs for dinner because of it as well.)  So I guess I'm confused on why my numbers seem so borderline sometimes.  I wish they were all either really high or really low :-)  So assuming that I don't have GD I would have thought my numbers after some of these meals would be lower.  But it doesn't seem clear that I do have it either.  I know there is a weird "impaired glucose tolerance" middle ground and maybe that's where I fall.  I don't know.... greensad.gif  I guess I'll have to see what my MW thinks.  It's sure difficult to eat how I truly normally do while testing for GD.  You know?  I want to watch my carbs, but I'm not supposed to be doing that (yet) but when my numbers are high I want to protect the baby.....  Argh.  I just want a diagnosis either way.

 


Oh, today I ate at an asian restaurant for lunch.  Probably not the best choice carb-wise but I thought what the heck, I'm supposed to eat "normal" meals so here I go (no dessert though).  At 1 hr it was 190!  After I saw that reading I exercised (20 min walk) and retested at 2 hrs and it was still at 130.  Ugh. I would have thought some activity would have brought it down much more....



 

Thesan83 is offline  
#126 of 296 Old 09-05-2011, 05:34 PM
 
Seana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's super annoying:  Where I come from (vegan town) things like beans and lentils are considered protein.  But not so in the land of gestational diabetes!  I had two hot dogs with one measly whole-wheat bun for dinner.  Nope.  Won't try that again.  Tonight I had the tiniest baked potato I have ever seen.  Probably a terrible idea, but I am desperate and out of groceries.  I can never have oatmeal, and  I am seriously pushing my luck with one piece of that awful frozen Ezekiel bread...

Seana is offline  
#127 of 296 Old 09-05-2011, 06:22 PM
 
jbk21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


I think you're right, unfortunately.  eyesroll.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesan83 View Post

Your numbers sound a lot like GD to me. Just being capable of getting up to 190 is a big red flag, I think.

 



 


 

And Seana, I am vegetarian too so I think of whole grains and beans as my protein as well (I recognize that they are carbs too)  But if I do have GD it will certainly be hard to balance vegetarianism with the GD diet.  Sigh irked.gif

 

jbk21 is offline  
#128 of 296 Old 09-05-2011, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
 
lifeguard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coyote Rock Farm
Posts: 6,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

scottishmommy - welcome.

 

beansprout mama - have you been testing at 1 hour post-meal? That is usually closer to when your bs spike will be, meaning at 2 hours you may be missing it & not seeing how high you're actually getting. My 2 hour numbers are pretty much always plenty low - my 1 hours most definitely show if I've eaten something my body doesn't like.

 

jbk - I agree with thesan. I most definitely do feel I have gd (& did with my previous pregnancy) but the bs reacts are not necessarily really predictable. For example; with my first pregnancy I could have the same breakfast every single day & get a different 1 hour reading each day - until I introduced insulin & things settled into more of a pattern. Because there are so many other factors that affect bs (exercise, sleep, stress, etc.) it is unlikely you will see a perfect correlation, that is partly why it is more important to look at the overall trend than at individual numbers. The more frequently you test the better you'll be able to see the trend.

 

seana - I must admit it would be very difficult for me to keep my numbers within the limits I do with a vegetarian diet. I eat almost zero carbs some days. Something you could try adding in for protein would be protein shakes. I have one for breakfast & one before bed & it makes getting a big dose of protein in a bit easier. Most are whey based but if you don't do dairy there are vegan ones available - sorry I don't have any recommendations on brands.


Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

lifeguard is offline  
#129 of 296 Old 09-06-2011, 10:13 AM
 
Flor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: California
Posts: 5,119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Jbk21--I am no medical professional at ALL, but your numbers aren't sounding so "borderline" (Not to freak you out, of course, just you did fail the test and your blood sugars aren't steady, so. . . .)

I test at one hour. As I understand it, some people do one hour and some do two, but it seems like us one hour testers are supposed to be under 130 and the two hour testers are supposed to be under 120. 

 

I have worked some desserts in, but I have them either between breakfast and lunch or between lunch and dinner. The diabetes nurse told me that oddly enough, some people can handle ice cream because it is so fatty that it slows the sugar into your blood stream. There are low carb ice creams out there but they have a lot of weird ingredients in them and they aren't considered low carb by my doc (a lot of doctors say to subtract fiber or sugar alchohols from the carb count. my doc says not to, but to count total carbs, that it is more reliable), so the low carb ice cream has 15 grams of carbs and some regular ice creams have 15 grams, too. I just have to be sure to eat it with a protein so I end up having a weird snack like a hard boiled egg and 1/2 cup ice cream!  Breads and pastas seem to affect me more than ice cream. I can't have my beloved Rye Krisp crackers anymore (even though the carb count was fine, I spiked to 150 afterwards). A GD serving of pasta or rice is 1/3 a cup, so that seems pointless to me to even bother.

 

I also have to be careful with veggie heavy dishes, because veggies do have carbs. I'm allowed 30 carbs at dinner. Cup of broccoli has 6, cup of corn has 28, a slice of bread can have 20 so it does really add up.

 

 

Other topic-- restaurants. Sadly, the easiest restaurants to eat at right now are chains because they often (in California they have to) have a book of nutritional information. If I'm at a small restaurant I order salad with chicken or shrimp. It was actually really fun the other day when my grandma took us to the Red Lobster (which also owns Olive Garden, sure they have the same thing), and I asked if they had a diabetic menu or carb information. They brought me a fat book with all the nutritional information. I found a lunch dish that was rice, shrimp scampi and grilled chicken for 34 carbs and was so happy, but then the waitress said I could sub the rice for any side, so I I chose broccoli and the meal went down to 6 carbs-- so I got to have a cheesy biscuit, too. Never been so delighted at Red Lobster! 

Flor is offline  
#130 of 296 Old 09-06-2011, 10:19 AM
 
Flor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: California
Posts: 5,119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

And jbk21-- my numbers are really all over the place too. I think that is just part of having GD. If i didn't have it I'd expect less movement. There are days I eat the exact same thing as the day before (leftovers!) and my numbers are completely different. It isn't just about food affecting bloodsugars, though, hormones, sleep, stress, etc. What time I test, if I sleep in, these all affect my bloodsugar. I will say though, I have never had 190! The highest I've ever been was 150. I supposed to call the doc if I go over 180.

Flor is offline  
#131 of 296 Old 09-06-2011, 11:11 AM
 
jbk21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Thanks Flor!  I see what you are saying with the numbers being more steady in non-GD moms.  I guess I also didn't know what exactly is considered "borderline"- I just know that after my alternative test my number was 144 and she was above 140 was borderline (at 2 hours).  So what's "high"?  200?  180?  It's hard to find info online about it because the standards for GD and regular diabetes are different, and then each practice is different too.  If I'm supposed to be <130 at one hour then I'm really failing.  Yeesh.  

Ha, I had to laugh about eating leftovers and getting different readings.. I had another wheat bagel with egg and cheese today (same breakfast as I had on first day of testing, except today I had even more egg!) and my number was 20 points higher today.  Oye.  

 

I guess I'll be giving my restaurant leftovers to DH.  They were really good too.... greensad.gif

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flor View Post

And jbk21-- my numbers are really all over the place too. I think that is just part of having GD. If i didn't have it I'd expect less movement. There are days I eat the exact same thing as the day before (leftovers!) and my numbers are completely different. It isn't just about food affecting bloodsugars, though, hormones, sleep, stress, etc. What time I test, if I sleep in, these all affect my bloodsugar. I will say though, I have never had 190! The highest I've ever been was 150. I supposed to call the doc if I go over 180.



 

jbk21 is offline  
#132 of 296 Old 09-06-2011, 12:33 PM
 
Thesan83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've found that I tolerate fruit well. So my go-to desserts have become things like...an apple, chopped up, microwaved with cinnamon on top, and then stirred in with some cottage cheese. It's amazing how yummy this has become to me after a month of no sweets! I also don't seem to have much of a problem with berries...blueberries in particular. Half a cup is a total treat for me! I still haven't worked up the guts to try ice cream. But I am successfully eating chocolate here and there! My nurse suggested the super dark kind, but I'm happier just eating a single square off a regular Hershey bar when my meal allows: 4g a piece. And sometimes I eat one of those Fiber One brownies. They're like...20g per brownie. Most of the time, I only eat half.

 

My nurse also says not to subtract fiber or sugar alcohols from my carb count. For the same reason yours does.

 

And restaurants...I'm also finding it MUCH easier to eat at big chains. Most of them have their nutritional information available online. So I just scroll until I find something that is under my carb allowance and has a good amount of protein. It's sort of frustrating though, because all of our friends are major foodies who eat out recreationally. And it's so difficult for me to go anywhere except to the sort of places they turn up their noses at.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flor View Post

Jbk21--I am no medical professional at ALL, but your numbers aren't sounding so "borderline" (Not to freak you out, of course, just you did fail the test and your blood sugars aren't steady, so. . . .)

I test at one hour. As I understand it, some people do one hour and some do two, but it seems like us one hour testers are supposed to be under 130 and the two hour testers are supposed to be under 120. 

 

I have worked some desserts in, but I have them either between breakfast and lunch or between lunch and dinner. The diabetes nurse told me that oddly enough, some people can handle ice cream because it is so fatty that it slows the sugar into your blood stream. There are low carb ice creams out there but they have a lot of weird ingredients in them and they aren't considered low carb by my doc (a lot of doctors say to subtract fiber or sugar alchohols from the carb count. my doc says not to, but to count total carbs, that it is more reliable), so the low carb ice cream has 15 grams of carbs and some regular ice creams have 15 grams, too. I just have to be sure to eat it with a protein so I end up having a weird snack like a hard boiled egg and 1/2 cup ice cream!  Breads and pastas seem to affect me more than ice cream. I can't have my beloved Rye Krisp crackers anymore (even though the carb count was fine, I spiked to 150 afterwards). A GD serving of pasta or rice is 1/3 a cup, so that seems pointless to me to even bother.

 

I also have to be careful with veggie heavy dishes, because veggies do have carbs. I'm allowed 30 carbs at dinner. Cup of broccoli has 6, cup of corn has 28, a slice of bread can have 20 so it does really add up.

 

 

Other topic-- restaurants. Sadly, the easiest restaurants to eat at right now are chains because they often (in California they have to) have a book of nutritional information. If I'm at a small restaurant I order salad with chicken or shrimp. It was actually really fun the other day when my grandma took us to the Red Lobster (which also owns Olive Garden, sure they have the same thing), and I asked if they had a diabetic menu or carb information. They brought me a fat book with all the nutritional information. I found a lunch dish that was rice, shrimp scampi and grilled chicken for 34 carbs and was so happy, but then the waitress said I could sub the rice for any side, so I I chose broccoli and the meal went down to 6 carbs-- so I got to have a cheesy biscuit, too. Never been so delighted at Red Lobster! 



 

Thesan83 is offline  
#133 of 296 Old 09-06-2011, 02:47 PM
 
BeanSprout Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been doing 2 hours because I eat slow, and the clinic was insistent on picking either one or two and sticking with it.  I may try doing 1 hour tests for a few days here. I'd love to see SOME proof that I actually need to be poking my finger and doing all this. So far, I have nothing except that single A1c that was done at 6 weeks pregnant, which hasn't been replicated by finger sticks or another A1c. banghead.gif I'm more than a little annoyed.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

beansprout mama - have you been testing at 1 hour post-meal? That is usually closer to when your bs spike will be, meaning at 2 hours you may be missing it & not seeing how high you're actually getting. My 2 hour numbers are pretty much always plenty low - my 1 hours most definitely show if I've eaten something my body doesn't like.


wife to my  love.gif, mom toenergy.gif, blahblah.gif, jog.gif, and 3rdtri.gif ! a person is a person, no matter how small.

****5****10****15****20****25****30****35stork-girl.gif***40*

BeanSprout Mama is offline  
#134 of 296 Old 09-06-2011, 05:30 PM
 
Flor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: California
Posts: 5,119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Jbk21-- I failed the 1 hour with 147, and I am by no means borderline (though, I know that test is unreliable and people with higher numbers do go on to pass the 3 hour). I think we just caught it early. My fasting numbers are rising and I'm on insulin now.

Flor is offline  
#135 of 296 Old 09-06-2011, 05:49 PM
 
jbk21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yeah, my first test was the alternative meal and I had 144 at two-hours.  I really wonder what my 3hr GTT numbers would have been had I not thrown up... Given what I've seen just after normal meals, I'm pretty sure I would have failed pretty dramatically.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flor View Post

Jbk21-- I failed the 1 hour with 147, and I am by no means borderline (though, I know that test is unreliable and people with higher numbers do go on to pass the 3 hour). I think we just caught it early. My fasting numbers are rising and I'm on insulin now.



 

jbk21 is offline  
#136 of 296 Old 09-06-2011, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
 
lifeguard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coyote Rock Farm
Posts: 6,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

jbk - it sounds like you are experiencing a lot of the inconsistencies I had with ds. Honestly, they didn't really become predictable/sensible until I started the insulin - hopefully you will not need to go there. Keep tracking & trying different things to find your right balance.


Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

lifeguard is offline  
#137 of 296 Old 09-07-2011, 12:20 PM
 
Seana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Speaking of inconsistencies, my fasting numbers are dropping, and my post meal numbers are running high. So annoying. 

Seana is offline  
#138 of 296 Old 09-08-2011, 11:10 PM
 
Flor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: California
Posts: 5,119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Seana-- same here. Before I started insulin  I noticed that if my fasting numbers were low, the whole day tended to be low. If high, the whole day was high. Now that I'm on insulin, my fasting numbers are low but I usually have a least one random high number during the day. I hope I can stick with only night time insulin!

Flor is offline  
#139 of 296 Old 09-13-2011, 03:58 PM
 
jbk21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well I got my diagnosis- not GD but I do have a glucose intolerance.  I'm being referred to a nutritionist and a maternal-fetal medicine specialist (anyone else have to see an MFM spec?  What do they do?)  

I'm not looking forward to limiting my diet (I'm already vegetarian) or cooking in general (DH is veg also, as well as dairy-free.....)  This is going to be interesting. greensad.gif

jbk21 is offline  
#140 of 296 Old 09-13-2011, 04:41 PM
 
Thesan83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What exactly is the difference between GD and something like glucose intolerance? I see other people getting similar diagnoses...and I'm not sure what it means.

Thesan83 is offline  
#141 of 296 Old 09-13-2011, 04:52 PM
 
jbk21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


It's just a less serious version, so I tolerate glucose better than someone with GDM but worse than a normal pregnant person.  It's "borderline".  So I'll have to limit carbs, but not as much.  And I suppose my chance of needing insulin would be pretty low.  

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesan83 View Post

What exactly is the difference between GD and something like glucose intolerance? I see other people getting similar diagnoses...and I'm not sure what it means.



 

jbk21 is offline  
#142 of 296 Old 09-13-2011, 05:28 PM
 
Thesan83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ah...okay! Thanks for the explanation. smile.gif

 

The practice I go to is very black and white on the issue: every patient takes a 2 hour, 75g glucose tolerance test (with no one hour screen before hand). Pass it, you're good. Fail it, you're given the diagnosis of GDM. So no one's ever discussed varying degrees of glucose tolerance with me.

 

I have been kind of lazy with my diet recently. It's hot out, and I'm getting tired again now that third trimester is in full swing. So I don't want to cook. And I really don't want to go for walks after all my meals. What I wouldn't give to eat lunch and then take a nap instead of head out on a mid-day tour of the neighborhood! I'm sick of eating the same stuff day after day, too. And fantasizing a lot about all the amazing stuff I'm going to eat after baby arrives. yummy.gif

 

My numbers are holding nice and steady at the moment. Which actually makes it even harder for me! Low numbers lull me into this false sense of confidence. Like...heck, my after lunch number was 94! My pancreas can totally handle this slice of pizza!

Thesan83 is offline  
#143 of 296 Old 09-13-2011, 05:55 PM
 
jbk21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


I know how you feel!  It was SO hot here last week, I totally didn't exercise :-(  I just stare at my cupboards and try to figure out something that I can eat.  So frustrating :(  I really need to get to the store and find some IGT (impaired glucose tolerance) friendly snacks.  

 

The other thing about IGT is it can progress to GDM, so I guess I'll have to be monitored pretty closely.  Ugh!  More appointments, more money.  

 

I'm glad you snuck in a slice of pizza :)  That sounds so good right now!  I can't wait for post-birth cake.  Haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesan83 View Post

Ah...okay! Thanks for the explanation. smile.gif

 

The practice I go to is very black and white on the issue: every patient takes a 2 hour, 75g glucose tolerance test (with no one hour screen before hand). Pass it, you're good. Fail it, you're given the diagnosis of GDM. So no one's ever discussed varying degrees of glucose tolerance with me.

 

I have been kind of lazy with my diet recently. It's hot out, and I'm getting tired again now that third trimester is in full swing. So I don't want to cook. And I really don't want to go for walks after all my meals. What I wouldn't give to eat lunch and then take a nap instead of head out on a mid-day tour of the neighborhood! I'm sick of eating the same stuff day after day, too. And fantasizing a lot about all the amazing stuff I'm going to eat after baby arrives. yummy.gif

 

My numbers are holding nice and steady at the moment. Which actually makes it even harder for me! Low numbers lull me into this false sense of confidence. Like...heck, my after lunch number was 94! My pancreas can totally handle this slice of pizza!



 

jbk21 is offline  
#144 of 296 Old 09-13-2011, 07:35 PM
 
Seana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lifeguard--Thank you SO MUCH for suggesting protein drinks. My mornings are much more pleasant now without having to cook fake sausage that I don't even want! I cheated and had a piece of toast with dinner after I already hit my carb limit, but it was actually okay-- I only tested 107 and I just have to stay under 120. ( Are these numbers starting to seem awfully arbitrary to anyone else, btw? It seems like there are a lot of very different rules and hoops we are all jumping through!)
Seana is offline  
#145 of 296 Old 09-13-2011, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
 
lifeguard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coyote Rock Farm
Posts: 6,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Seana - I'm glad the protein shakes are helping - I'm not a morning person & they definitely help me get in a "meal" first thing.

 

The numbers are somewhat arbitrary - that is part of what is so frustrating with gd. Different care providers use different goal numbers - there is no one standard of care. My ob said that if he asks them to be too strict he finds women don't comply 'cause they get frustrated when they can't consistently stay under.

 

I am definitely having a harder time monitoring. I'm just getting sick of the constantness of this - I'm so grateful it's something that will (hopefully) go away when the baby is born!


Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

lifeguard is offline  
#146 of 296 Old 09-13-2011, 10:27 PM
 
scottishmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in a little apartment
Posts: 1,077
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

Seana - I'm glad the protein shakes are helping - I'm not a morning person & they definitely help me get in a "meal" first thing.

 

The numbers are somewhat arbitrary - that is part of what is so frustrating with gd. Different care providers use different goal numbers - there is no one standard of care. My ob said that if he asks them to be too strict he finds women don't comply 'cause they get frustrated when they can't consistently stay under.

 

I am definitely having a harder time monitoring. I'm just getting sick of the constantness of this - I'm so grateful it's something that will (hopefully) go away when the baby is born!


I'm glad to hear that you are sick of monitoring too. My fasting levels are always the same, as well as after breakfast numbers. I pretty much know what will spike my sugars and just avoid them. Sometimes I don't see the point of testing if I have less than 15 carbs in a sitting. Also, my fingers are so calloused I can't seem to get blood out easily anymore.

I was wondering how all you ladies are doing with edema. My last pregnancy I was super puffy. This time not so much. I wonder if maybe I'm less puffy because I'm eating fewer carbs. Anybody else?

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
scottishmommy is offline  
#147 of 296 Old 09-13-2011, 11:08 PM
 
Thesan83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't have any edema. But this is my first pregnancy, so I'm not sure if it's due to carb restriction or if I'm just not prone to it.

 

I do have the same problem of getting callouses on my fingers though. I don't like using my ring or pinky fingers (they bruise), and my thumbs have always been kind of hit and miss for getting a good drop of blood. So I keep poking the same four fingers every single day. Definitely getting tougher. My meter is designed to allow testing on the arm but my RN keeps telling me that they don't recommend pregnant women use alternate test sites. That only the fingers are accurate enough.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishmommy View Post



I'm glad to hear that you are sick of monitoring too. My fasting levels are always the same, as well as after breakfast numbers. I pretty much know what will spike my sugars and just avoid them. Sometimes I don't see the point of testing if I have less than 15 carbs in a sitting. Also, my fingers are so calloused I can't seem to get blood out easily anymore.

I was wondering how all you ladies are doing with edema. My last pregnancy I was super puffy. This time not so much. I wonder if maybe I'm less puffy because I'm eating fewer carbs. Anybody else?


 

Thesan83 is offline  
#148 of 296 Old 09-14-2011, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
 
lifeguard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coyote Rock Farm
Posts: 6,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't get a lot of swelling. Didn't with ds either. I do find I am sometimes a bit swollen in the mornings but as I get up & move about it flushes out.

 

For testing I sometimes test on my other hand. I also make sure to prick the side of my finger pad, not right in the middle - that gives me a little more surface area.


Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

lifeguard is offline  
#149 of 296 Old 09-17-2011, 02:58 PM
 
aeterna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Add one more to the list - still technically pending a Dx here (I requested the 3-hour test) but since my 1-hour bs came in at 206, I'll be switching to a GD diet regardless of the 3-hour test results. Hooray. >.>

 

I just got hit with this last Weds, and immediately started focusing on eating "GD friendly." But it's been a busy couple days, so it's been mostly "sensible" substitutions (dropping the breads/sugary treats, eating more protein/beans/vegs) and hoping for the best. Well, today I finally got the time to enter my intake into a meal planner, and am more than a little frustrated to realize that despite feeling like a stuffed pig all day (seriously, every 2-3 hours? I never eat this much >.< ), I'm not eating enough calories. Oh, but my carb intake is right on target. Oh, but I'm eating too much protein. ARRRRRGHHH!!! irked.gif

 

Looking at the general recommendations for carb limits (~15g for snacks, for example), and looking at the general list of food suggestions, I'm left scratching my head wondering how the two work together. For example, I've heard that Greek yogurt counts as a protein instead of a carb, am I supposed to just ignore the carbs in Greek yogurt when I pair it with another carb (like a fruit)? The same with hummus, is it a protein or a carb in terms of food pairings?

 

Just trying to come up with a go-to list of meals/snacks that will work for me and struggling to make the math work! ;)


Just a homegrown heretic hopelessly in love with her amazing DH, 2.5 year old Eli, and now expecting a new arrival April 2015.
aeterna is offline  
#150 of 296 Old 09-17-2011, 03:10 PM
 
jbk21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think you're supposed to count overall carbs for a snack or meal, so I'd count the carbs in the greek yogurt.... It's just a better carb source than say, crackers, because it has all the fat and protein as well.  Just like a little ice cream is a better dessert choice (if you can handle it) than jelly beans- ice cream has fat and protein, jelly beans don't.  My nutritionist said to aim for carb sources that have fat, protein, or a lot of fiber.  That way it slows down your sugar spike.

jbk21 is offline  
Reply

Tags
Quest For Conception Gender Infertility And Egyptian Medical Traditions , Induction Of Ovulation Current Concepts In Obstetrics And Gynecology , Diabetes The Complete Guide The Essential Introduction To Managing Diabetes

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off