The New Gestational Diabetes Support Thread - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 296 Old 09-22-2011, 04:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is interesting. I've never seen an endo (and frankly, my mom, who is type II doesn't even see one, which I think is awful). I take no medication so I don't really have any reason to, but I have never seen any kind of issue with my blood sugar if I stay away from carbs. If I ate the recommended GD diet without modification, I would see levels over my targets. Veggies, fats, proteins, they just don't do much to my blood sugar. 30g of carbs at a meal from bread or potatoes, sure, I would be at 160 or something at an hour. My "GD" is nowhere near the levels that would get me classified as diabetic if I was not pregnant. But for me its really just that I spike high in the first hour to 90 minutes after eating, those are the only highs I see. That can pretty easily be prevented by not eating easily digested carbs, and high fiber foods that are OTHERWISE low in carbs (so NOT high-fiber bread or something) don't do that to me, at least.

I've always assumed that this is all somewhat different for type I (for whom all insulin has to be provided artificially, thus it would be really important to calculate for protein, etc, things that are digested more slowly) than for type II (who have an impaired blood glucose system, so that the body CAN process the energy, just not effectively/correctly) and that insulin resistance is more on a continuum with type II.

dissertating mom to three

#182 of 296 Old 09-22-2011, 10:05 AM

My GD follows a similar pattern to yours. I have a solid spike around an hour after eating. After that, it returns to normal very quickly and holds steady there. It feels very much to me like my GD isn't caused by my body struggling to produce enough insulin to meet increased demand during pregnancy. It's more that my body is being somewhat sluggish to respond. Once things get rolling I metabolize the sugar pretty well. It's just that hour in between.

I was initially told to eat something high fiber with breakfast and avoid things like milk or fruit. But a single slice of multigrain toast always took me into the 120's at one hour. So I tossed out their guidelines and swapped in an apple. Low and behold...low 90's at one hour! When I asked my diabetes RN about it, she suggested that was probably because fruit contains very simple sugars which could be "really stimulating your insulin production." I notice the pattern now in my other meals, too. Simpler sugars process better for me than more complex carbs (with the exception of beans, for some reason).

Fats don't help me out too much. In fact, high fat meals sometimes make things worse for me by slowing down digestion too much. It can stretch out my spike through the second hour so that my BS is starting out a little elevated when I eat the next time. It throws off my whole day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post

This is interesting. I've never seen an endo (and frankly, my mom, who is type II doesn't even see one, which I think is awful). I take no medication so I don't really have any reason to, but I have never seen any kind of issue with my blood sugar if I stay away from carbs. If I ate the recommended GD diet without modification, I would see levels over my targets. Veggies, fats, proteins, they just don't do much to my blood sugar. 30g of carbs at a meal from bread or potatoes, sure, I would be at 160 or something at an hour. My "GD" is nowhere near the levels that would get me classified as diabetic if I was not pregnant. But for me its really just that I spike high in the first hour to 90 minutes after eating, those are the only highs I see. That can pretty easily be prevented by not eating easily digested carbs, and high fiber foods that are OTHERWISE low in carbs (so NOT high-fiber bread or something) don't do that to me, at least.

I've always assumed that this is all somewhat different for type I (for whom all insulin has to be provided artificially, thus it would be really important to calculate for protein, etc, things that are digested more slowly) than for type II (who have an impaired blood glucose system, so that the body CAN process the energy, just not effectively/correctly) and that insulin resistance is more on a continuum with type II.

#183 of 296 Old 09-22-2011, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It really fascinates to me to see how different people see different responses. I wonder why health care providers don't give us a heads up about this instead of giving everyone a one-sized-fits-all-diet & then watch some of us flounder (as I did with my first pregnancy) eating 'perfectly'.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#184 of 296 Old 09-26-2011, 10:39 AM

Has anyone seen this PB cookie recipe?  No flour, so it really cuts back on the carbs.  If you can handle plain sugar in moderation (it's coupled with egg and peanut butter, so good protein/fat sources) then maybe a cookie a day would be a nice treat.  I'm going to try it out.  I calculated this recipe to have 13.8 carbs per cookie if you get 18 cookies out of it.  Could do smaller cookies if you'd like :-)

http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/dessert/internet-sensation-the-noflour-nobutter-peanut-butter-cookies-revisited-080693

#185 of 296 Old 09-27-2011, 05:40 AM

I make a very similar PB cookie sometimes, but I don't think I could handle that much sugar. (or, more accurately, I can't actually eat cookies in moderation) I modified it once trying to reduce the sugar and it didn't work that well...

#186 of 296 Old 09-27-2011, 08:43 AM

I wonder about coconut crystals.... they have a lower glycemic value right?  Is it blatantly obvious that I want some dessert?  LOL!

#187 of 296 Old 09-27-2011, 09:39 AM

I keep thinking that there's GOT to be some sort of low-carb cheesecake out there in the world. But I can't find any that don't just replace the sugar with artificial sweetner.

My self-control has been weak lately. So I'm not sure I can trust myself to have easily munchable sweets like cookies in the house. But I've been satisfying my need for the occasional dessert by having a square of dark chocolate with my meals. I found a bar cheap at the grocery store that is 72% cocoa with almonds and blueberries. It's got about 3g of carbs per square. So it's easy to fit in whenever I feel like I need something sweet. And low enough that I sometimes have a square randomly during the day to treat myself. And I finally got around to trying ice cream last week. It was SO hot here. And I was so miserable. So I figured what the heck. I got one of those ridiculously tiny single serve things at the grocery store (21g of carbs I think) and tried it. Got 103 at one hour. orngbiggrin.gif Didn't really believe that ice cream could work out okay. And I still feel guilty when I eat it and have to write it down in my log. But I also don't feel quite so deprived anymore.

#188 of 296 Old 09-27-2011, 06:43 PM

I'm doing ice cream, too. I don't get the low carb ones, though-- they often have 15 carbs per half cup just like a lot of the regular ice creams. My doc doesn't subtract sugar alcohols though. If you did, I think the low carb ones would be low.

Speaking of fake sugar-- there is a low carb pumpkin cheese cake I want to try (with almond meal crust-- sounds good!) but it uses Splenda. I cannot stand the taste of Splenda in baked goods. Any suggestions? (I try not to eat much of this stuff, but this would be like a one time thing :) )

#189 of 296 Old 09-29-2011, 04:29 AM

I am SURE you can make a relatively low-carb cheesecake, there are savory ricotta pies so the sugar is not neccessary for the texture/cooking. You could just modify a savory recipe with very, very modest amount of sweetener (and I generally use a mix of stevia, xylitol, agave, or whatever works. One think I've noticed, once you quit eating sugar/carbs, you can make do with a lot less sweetness). You could serve it with berries, which are pretty low carb but could give a little sweetness. Ditto with the pumpkin cheesecake, though pumpkin isn't so low in carbs itself, is it? sweet potato might work too... I've eaten mashed sweet potato w/ pretty good numbers later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesan83 View Post

I keep thinking that there's GOT to be some sort of low-carb cheesecake out there in the world. But I can't find any that don't just replace the sugar with artificial sweetner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flor View Post

Speaking of fake sugar-- there is a low carb pumpkin cheese cake I want to try (with almond meal crust-- sounds good!) but it uses Splenda. I cannot stand the taste of Splenda in baked goods. Any suggestions? (I try not to eat much of this stuff, but this would be like a one time thing :) )

#190 of 296 Old 09-29-2011, 04:29 AM

you could try! (they say they are lower glycemic, would be interesting to see if your blood sugar readings bear that out)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk21 View Post

I wonder about coconut crystals.... they have a lower glycemic value right?  Is it blatantly obvious that I want some dessert?  LOL!

#191 of 296 Old 09-29-2011, 12:15 PM

How do we stick to our diet during labor? As in spacing meals, getting the right number of carbs and protein and monitoring sugar?

Especially if we labor at night since blood sugar is even more sensitive then. I'm thinking eating a soft low carb high protein snack every 3 hrs during early labor then low carb protein shakes or low carb juice every couple hours during the later stages of labor but I really dont know.

#192 of 296 Old 09-29-2011, 12:30 PM

Oh yes and did anyone's doc/midwife tell them they need to be induced at 39 weeks because of GD? I've been told that, but the midwife said she will check with the OB she's under.

#193 of 296 Old 09-29-2011, 12:46 PM

I go to a practice where I see both a midwife and an OB, and when I got the GD diagnosis their induction policy was the first thing I asked about. Both told me that unless there appears to be a problem (some indication that the placenta is deteriorating, baby is huge, my blood sugar isn't controlled, etc.) that they wouldn't want to induce me until 41 weeks -- which is their standard for beginning to seriously look at induction with ALL of their patients, GD or not.

Not sure about the labor issue. I'm delivering at a hospital, so I doubt they will let me eat anyway! But I've read somewhere that it can be less of a concern once you're in active labor since you're physically working very hard and aren't likely to see much of a high regardless of what you might snack on. Assuming you even feel like eating...

#194 of 296 Old 09-29-2011, 01:14 PM

the hospital practice I was seeing for co-care last time had a policy of induction at 40w, but I was able to get my deadline "extended" due to excellent blood sugar. It was a moot point since I was planning a homebirth (which I couldn't tell them). But I think some of those policies have to do with whether you've been on medication, what your blood sugar has been like, etc.

As for food during labor: personally I think stick to whats been working when you are in early labor, and think small, nutritious meals/snacks. Once you are in really active labor you are unlikely to want to eat much. Have some drinks ready. I gave birth at home last time and it was really quick, so I really have no experience with how the hospital deals with that. Do hospitals really allow no food still? I thought that practice had fallen by the wayside...

#195 of 296 Old 09-29-2011, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Last time my ob was good with a wait & see approach but we ended up inducing at 39 weeks based on the ultrasounds we were doing. This time I asked right away when we confirmed the gd & with this ob he doesn't like to go past 40 weeks although I'm sure if I really pushed the issue with him we could go longer based on my nst's, u/s & bs logs (but I've had prodromal labour for 2 weeks now so I wouldn't even entertain the idea of going longer).

As for monitoring & whatnot during labour - last time we did nothing. I didn't eat or drink (didn't want to, not sure if they would have stopped me) & we never monitored my bs at all. However at the end my pushing was very ineffective & I was dead exhausted - I'm sure that eating would have affected this in a positive way.

This time my ob says they will monitor my bs every couple of hours - he doesn't care if my numbers get high during labour but they want to ensure no lows. I am have packed in my hospital bag some protein powder to make a shake & a low sugar gatorade thing (which is disgusting but I think might be handy). I'm sure there are other things I could bring but those just seem like the easiest & I think drinking would be much easier than eating during active labour.

I don't know if most hospitals have a strict no eating rule (& really how often is there some in the room all. the. time. to enforce it) but at the same time I haven't heard of anyone being offered food/drink while in labour so I think it is important to go prepared.

#196 of 296 Old 09-29-2011, 02:13 PM

I'm glad someone brought this up.  I'm not sure what my MW's policies are, but we are birthing at a free-standing birth center so I don't think there will be any medical induction (which would require risking me out to the hospital) unless absolutely medically necessary. 

I'm not sure what I'll eat during labor.... I did not eat anything during labor last time (did not have GD, and was induced in hospital) but they would have let me.  Actually, I did have a popsicle right before pushing.  Won't be having a popsicle this time, obviously. :-)

I'll ask my MW about this at our next appt.  It's something I hadn't given much thought!

#197 of 296 Old 09-29-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samie1400 View Post

Oh yes and did anyone's doc/midwife tell them they need to be induced at 39 weeks because of GD? I've been told that, but the midwife said she will check with the OB she's under.

I've been lurking along and wanted to second the recommendation to follow up on this. I was told that I would have to be induced at 38 weeks whether I was managing well with diet or not, to which my answer was "you can schedule an induction at 38 weeks if you want, but I won't be coming in." I'd definitely discuss it with your doc/midwife.

wife to my  love.gif, mom toenergy.gif, blahblah.gif, jog.gif, and 3rdtri.gif ! a person is a person, no matter how small.

****5****10****15****20****25****30****35stork-girl.gif***40*

#198 of 296 Old 09-30-2011, 04:44 AM

you know, your GD disappears pretty much when you deliver the placenta. I ate a big slice of chocolate cake a few hours after my daughter was born and my blood sugar was totally normal afterwards. So, personally, if I want a popsicle when I am pushing, I'm going to darn well have one.

IME I only wanted water in active labor (but made sure to have some juice boxes and whatnot with me the second time... I drank so much water in my second labor that I needed a catheter to pee after my son was born before I could have stitches... so maybe tetra packs of coconut water would be good to have? they are lower in sugar than juice and good for electrolytes. Or, plain soymilk for some protein?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk21 View Post

I'm not sure what I'll eat during labor.... I did not eat anything during labor last time (did not have GD, and was induced in hospital) but they would have let me.  Actually, I did have a popsicle right before pushing.  Won't be having a popsicle this time, obviously. :-)

I'll ask my MW about this at our next appt.  It's something I hadn't given much thought!

on the topic of food, I was ravenous, totally ravenous after both births. I learned my lesson and made sure to have plenty of stuff like trail mix around to eat when I was hungry. With my first, I was in a hospital-based birth center, and I had the hardest time getting enough food.

#199 of 296 Old 09-30-2011, 08:02 AM

Oh yes, I know it will go back to normal after.  I just thought something more substantial - more protein, less sugar - than popsicles is a good choice.  semi-off topic but I had a red popsicle before pushing and my darling husband didn't tell me that it stained my teeth/lips.  So there he is snapping away photos of me holding our brand new son with a pink mouth.  so weird!  

I can't wait to have cake after.... omg.  I tried a small, small, small little square of my DH's birthday cake that I made for him.... Glucose through the roof.  Argh!  All that after my diabetic counselor told me I could have a little slice of cake (i had even smaller a piece than she said, too!)

I think coconut water is a great recommendation, too!

#200 of 296 Old 09-30-2011, 11:27 AM

Hmm, so I'll pack gatorade, coconut water, protein shakes and maybe some greek yougurt and trail mix and crackers. the doula suggested fruity popsicles that have real fruit in them. That would sound good if I was hot and tired. I know one thing, if my blood sugar drops I will get jittery and lose focus so I can't let them happen. I dont care what the hospital policies are, I will sneak it in anyways. Haha. I'm wondering if I should start doing anything to get labor rolling once week 38 comes..like lots of walking. I'd prolly turn down induction too.

#201 of 296 Old 10-02-2011, 11:13 PM

The last hospital I delivered at had a no food policy-- ice chips only. This one is a little more relaxed. They want to you to only have broth, juice, popcicles, jello, etc. Will add this to my list of questions for OB this week.

#202 of 296 Old 10-05-2011, 12:25 PM

So...I met with my diabetes RN this morning. Since my blood sugar has been well controlled, she has me testing one meal per day now. But I often test more than that. And she asked me why I consistently seem to test at dinner. I told her it was because I often eat the same thing for lunch the next day as I had for dinner the night before. And then I know what to expect number wise if it's on a day where I don't test at lunch.

And she said that's not entirely true since re-heating food will make it effect my blood sugar more.

Which left me kind of dumbfounded.

How on earth could re-heating it make any difference at all?? Has anyone heard this before?

#203 of 296 Old 10-05-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesan83 View Post

So...I met with my diabetes RN this morning. Since my blood sugar has been well controlled, she has me testing one meal per day now. But I often test more than that. And she asked me why I consistently seem to test at dinner. I told her it was because I often eat the same thing for lunch the next day as I had for dinner the night before. And then I know what to expect number wise if it's on a day where I don't test at lunch.

And she said that's not entirely true since re-heating food will make it effect my blood sugar more.

Which left me kind of dumbfounded.

How on earth could re-heating it make any difference at all?? Has anyone heard this before?

Well, cooking (or overcooking) certain foods like pasta or carrots increases their available carb content, so maybe that's what it's about. Also, the same meal will affect you differently depending on the time of day, your stress level, when or whether you have exercised, what your bs level is before the meal starts, whether you're sick, etc etc.

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#204 of 296 Old 10-05-2011, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I was going to say it could affect you differently just because it is a different day & different time of day.

#205 of 296 Old 10-05-2011, 07:15 PM

my MWs have me testing fasting and one post-prandial a day (after consistently good numbers all pregnancy). And they really want me rotating as well as I can. I also frequently eat the same things (seriously, who isn't? diet gets so freaking limited) but numbers aren't totally predictable.

#206 of 296 Old 10-05-2011, 09:23 PM

I am desperate to get my fasting numbers down. Can anyone help? i got put on insulin and had a reaction to it and had to go off. My daytime numbers are diet controlled but my fasting numbers are high 110-120. They are trying Metformin to bring it down, but I am desperate at this point. It seems once i go to bed, my numbers go around 110-120 and stay high all night ( I have gotten up and tested every 2 hours) So night snacks do not help.

#207 of 296 Old 10-06-2011, 07:12 AM

How about a short workout- 10-15 min before bed? Exercise always helps me. And maybe try changing up what you're eating for dinner. Less carbs and more protein- a protein shake maybe? try splitting what you eat for dinner into 2 mid-size snacks in the evening. not sure- just some thoughts.

#208 of 296 Old 10-06-2011, 09:31 AM

My carbs are already down at no more than 10-15grams at any one time. I know I need to exercise, its really hard because Dh works out of town, so i am by my self with 6 kids right now. Walking with them is like herding cats, LOL!

#209 of 296 Old 10-07-2011, 11:25 AM

exercise in the evening did make a noticeable difference for me last time. and less exercise than you'd think would be required would lower my numbers, and the effect would last if I did it in the evening (to be honest, not 30 points... but still). can you get a DVD of some kind of low-impact aerobics? maybe after the littlest kids are asleep? Brisk walk actually always did the most for me, not huffing and puffing brisk, but enough to raise my heart/breathing rate. but I TOTALLY GET that you can't easily go for a brisk walk with any child under the age of 5. let alone with 6 kids! are the olders old enough to watch their sibs for 20 minutes while you power walk around the block?

like others say. upping fat and protein helps some people. Sounds like you are probably already eating that way.

good luck. maybe metformin will do the trick. I would be unhappy seeing fasting numbers that high.

#210 of 296 Old 10-07-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess3_2005 View Post

I am desperate to get my fasting numbers down. Can anyone help? i got put on insulin and had a reaction to it and had to go off. My daytime numbers are diet controlled but my fasting numbers are high 110-120. They are trying Metformin to bring it down, but I am desperate at this point. It seems once i go to bed, my numbers go around 110-120 and stay high all night ( I have gotten up and tested every 2 hours) So night snacks do not help.

I have been told by several doctors that fasting numbers are the most difficult to control, and they are the ones that you have the least control over.  This is my third gd pregnancy and my fasting numbers have landed me on medication every time (currently taking glyburide).  With the medication, bedtime snacks do affect the fasting numbers in the morning (without medication, bedtime snacks never seemed to matter much).  The snack that works pretty consistently for me right now is 1/3-1/2 cup full fat cottage cheese, 1 slice whole wheat raisin toast with butter, and a small glass of milk.  You could try playing around with your bedtime snack, lots of protein, some complex carbs....

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

Tags
Quest For Conception Gender Infertility And Egyptian Medical Traditions , Induction Of Ovulation Current Concepts In Obstetrics And Gynecology , Diabetes The Complete Guide The Essential Introduction To Managing Diabetes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page