The New Gestational Diabetes Support Thread - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 296 Old 10-22-2011, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I also agree, I would personally not be induced for a size estimate. BUT, I did birth two large babies naturally (8lb6oz and 9lbs) without problems already.

dissertating mom to three

#242 of 296 Old 10-24-2011, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Interesting study on bfing & gd - good news!

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#243 of 296 Old 10-25-2011, 11:50 AM

Ok so I've pushed back induction for  next week (41 +5 by LMP, will be 41 weeks exactly by scan). Midwife says baby is 7 pounder and did mention maybe I can birth a 7 pounder but not 8 pounder. I can't help worrying about tearing badly or the baby getting stuck cause of my small size. Maybe I can push it back a few more days possibly. This is really a last option for me. I'm dilating 1-2 cm plus losing my mucus plug so hopefully things will happen before then. So I wont need cervidil at least. Will keep walking and try pumping, evening primrose oil etc.

#244 of 296 Old 10-25-2011, 12:14 PM

The chance of baby getting stuck is really, really slim.  The difference between 7 and 8 lbs is just belly fat- not at all hard to birth.  It's not that their bones keep getting bigger.  I would really encourage you to try to birth vaginally before consenting to a c-section for a size estimate.  I understand that you are a petite person but our bodies are made to stretch and even our pelvic bones are designed to make room for baby to exit.   Tearing is more about the condition of the perineal skin, not the size of the baby.  So if your midwife can support the perineum and try to reduce the risk of tearing, it won't matter how big baby is.  Truly.  

Even if your cervix is ready I would only consent to cervidil.  It will start contractions if your body is ready and pitocin won't be necessary.  I know it seems weird to use prostaglandins (cervidil- cervical ripeners) on an already ripe cervix but sometimes that is all your body needs to get labor going.  Pitocin would be overkill (it usually is, anyway.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samie1400 View Post

Ok so I've pushed back induction for  next week (41 +5 by LMP, will be 41 weeks exactly by scan). Midwife says baby is 7 pounder and did mention maybe I can birth a 7 pounder but not 8 pounder. I can't help worrying about tearing badly or the baby getting stuck cause of my small size. Maybe I can push it back a few more days possibly. This is really a last option for me. I'm dilating 1-2 cm plus losing my mucus plug so hopefully things will happen before then. So I wont need cervidil at least. Will keep walking and try pumping, evening primrose oil etc.

#245 of 296 Old 10-25-2011, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

I agree with jbk21. Your size does not really have a lot to do with how big a baby you can birth.

#246 of 296 Old 10-28-2011, 07:04 PM

Had a scan today and asked about cervidil. The doc said she tried that with her first pregnancy and labor started in 15 min and was pretty intense. So is a low dose of pitocin better? I read reviews of cervidil where some people said it was terrible and they had double contractions with no breaks...I guess it just varies with each person? Well I have a few more days to see. She also said my placenta looked like 40 weeks and the LMP due date may be off (5 day difference between scan date). At any rate I'll be 41 weeks by scan next week and she said stillbirth chances go up after 41 weeks with GD which really scares me. Has anyone tried castor oil and is it that bad? Maybe I can just try a half teaspoon? What if I have them just break my bag of waters first and see what happens and then pit will be a last resort?

#247 of 296 Old 10-28-2011, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

samie - I tried the castor oil 3x with dd - she just was NOT interested in coming! It honestly wasn't that bad for me - a little bit of intestinal cramping & then some diarrhea, but then again it didn't start contractions for me so I don't know what kind of labour it might start.

As for the cervidil I can tell you my experience. With ds I was induced with the gel - I had a very, very intense labour that didn't settle into a pattern & gave me no breaks between contractions. My pushing was also pretty ineffective. With dd they started with the cervical strip which did start contractions but didn't seem to do much for my cervix. Then they broke my water & gave me just a little bit of pit & things went quite quickly. If I have to be induced again I would go with the second route again. I have done some more reading since & apparently hyperstimulation of the uterus is a risk with both the gel & the strip (I am fairly sure that is what happened to me with ds) but with the strip they can remove it if this is happening but they cannot with the gel.

fwiw - most of the women I know irl did not have labour actually start from the cervical strip or gel but it is supposed to help prepare the cervix so that if they break your waters or give you pit your cervix is more ready.

Maybe someone else has something to add?

#248 of 296 Old 10-28-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samie1400 View Post

Had a scan today and asked about cervidil. The doc said she tried that with her first pregnancy and labor started in 15 min and was pretty intense. So is a low dose of pitocin better? I read reviews of cervidil where some people said it was terrible and they had double contractions with no breaks...I guess it just varies with each person? Well I have a few more days to see. She also said my placenta looked like 40 weeks and the LMP due date may be off (5 day difference between scan date). At any rate I'll be 41 weeks by scan next week and she said stillbirth chances go up after 41 weeks with GD which really scares me. Has anyone tried castor oil and is it that bad? Maybe I can just try a half teaspoon? What if I have them just break my bag of waters first and see what happens and then pit will be a last resort?

The cervidil did start labor for me.  Pitocin was what gave me the double-hump contractions.  Awful nasty stuff, in my opinion.  I was fine without the epidural until the pitocin started.  4 hours of pitocin had me screaming for pain relief, and that was just a "whiff" of pit.  I do think it could vary.  My cervidil was the strip.  With either (cervidil or pit) there is a chance of hyperstimulating the uterus, fetal distress, unnatural (double hump or no-break) contractions, etc.  It's artificial, so it's going to make your body react in a way that is not normal.  I would NOT do castor oil- it increases the risk of baby having a bowel movement in utero and inhaling meconium. That is a very serious condition.  Personally I'd try some natural labor induction methods first.  Are you dilated at all?  can she do a stretch and sweep?  can you use the breast pump to do nipple stimulation?  What about natural herbs to induce labor? Acupuncture or acupressure?

#249 of 296 Old 10-29-2011, 03:50 PM

Oh I might have forgotten to mention that I was about 1cm- 2cm and 80% effaced when they checked me so thats good. Plus I lost my mucus plug last week so midwife says I dont need cervidil. They also told me not to pump because it can cause intense contractions but my doula said she has never seen someone pump and go into intense labor from it. I've tried hand expression a few times for about 10 minutes and I'm trying to figure out how to use the breast pump I have. Also intercourse, walking, and starting the evening primrose oil and raspberry tea today. May schedule some acupressure if I find someone quick enough. Pitocin scares me to death! I'm wondering IF I do have to do pit, then ask them to turn it off in like 2 hours? I'll be calling the doc and asking specific questions about dosage and timing. I do know someone who had a natural birth with pitocin but her baby was also tiny- 6 pounds. She was also small herself. My doula also said stress could be preventing me and I have a suspicion that's what it is since time is winding down and all our family/inlaws keeps calling and asking how I am everyday. I told them to stop asking me because its pressuring me but they dont get it!

#250 of 296 Old 10-29-2011, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

I was very scared of pitocin. I had a small panic attack during my labour when they wanted to start the pit 'cause things were not progressing at all (literally 19 hours of contractions with NO changes to my cervix) but once I calmed down I talked to the nurse at length about it. Probably asked her more questions about than anyone else ever has. It ended up being ok for me. I had a great nurse. We started with the absolute smallest dose available & increased about every half hour to only the 3rd level (I swear her dosing chart had 25 levels on it!). I made her agree to tell before she increased every time, which she did so I felt in control. We also made an agreement before she started it that if it was becoming too strong or I was feeling too overwelmed we could back it down or even turn it off, which in fact we did. I wish I didn't need to go there but in the end I managed the labour without an epidural & everything was pretty good - it was an "easier" albeit very different, labour than I had with my ds.

Definitely call your dr & ask all the questions you have but be prepared to rediscuss most of it with the nurse assigned to you the day of 'cause ultimately that is who will be there with you.

#251 of 296 Old 10-29-2011, 09:26 PM

I'd ask for a stretch and sweep.  That can really get things going sometimes, especially since it seems like your body would be receptive to it.  

#252 of 296 Old 10-31-2011, 12:50 PM

Well I'm running out of time so this week is it. I suspect I'm stressed out because of the induction hanging over my head and thats whats stopping things so I dont think I will go into labor naturally.

They are doing a gradual dose overnight and turning it up the next morning. Hope I get a good nurse too. The midwife kind of sounded like this is the way we do things attitude but she is allowing me the overnight low dose thing. I'm getting some accupressure done beforehand as a last resort and if nothing else that is supposed to speed things up.

The only thing left to do is relax enjoy the weather and look forward to meeting baby. No use worrying myself sick but positive thoughts and prayer. Looking forward to no more carb counting and a bit of sugar indulgence. yum!! Hope you all are doing ok there too.

#253 of 296 Old 10-31-2011, 02:34 PM

nak

Just wanted to say, I went into labor naturally on October 28 at 40+4, had a quick an uneventful homebirth (well, in a good way, it was obviously eventful for us!).

My little girl was only 7lbs14oz (small compared to my others- 8lb6oz and 9lbs, and also small compared to what me, my sister, my DH and his sister's birth weights. We were all surprised!). Placenta was in great shape, she is healthy and doing well.

#254 of 296 Old 10-31-2011, 02:35 PM

and we totally ate birthday cake that night and it was GOOD. And not to be insensitive to you pregnant GD moms, but its kinda nice to be done with it for halloween. Not that I am going to go crazy eating candy (I HOPE) but just that i don't have to feel bad when I eat it.

Giving myself 1-2 weeks of loose dietary control, then I do plan to go back to a relatively low carb diet anyway. I am anxious to drop whatever shocking amount of weight will still be left then. I gained about 36lbs despite excellent dietary control during this pregnancy (and I did not start out underweight or anything)

#255 of 296 Old 10-31-2011, 03:18 PM

Congrats!! Must be nice to feel like all that work you did controlling the GD during pregnancy really turned out to be worth it.

And I totally get you on the Halloween thing! It's been driving me crazy going to the grocery store lately and having to walk past the aisles of bulk candy and festively frosted cupcakes, cookies, pies, etc. I don't normally have a huge sweet tooth. But I do like to indulge once and a while! And now that I've been on this diet for the past 14 weeks...I'm pretty much dying for a treat. I'm half thinking of going to the store tomorrow to buy a bunch of clearance treats and then put them away to enjoy once I deliver.

I'm just glad that I won't still be pregnant for Thanksgiving. Or worse...Christmas! I don't know how many holidays a person can take on this diet!

#256 of 296 Old 10-31-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesan83 View Post

I'm just glad that I won't still be pregnant for Thanksgiving. Or worse...Christmas! I don't know how many holidays a person can take on this diet!

I screened early for gd with my last pregnancy and I was so relieved for it to be negative at the early screen b/c that was right before thanksgiving. now, i was on the diet for valentines day but that wasn't so bad...

#257 of 296 Old 11-03-2011, 11:36 PM

Hi all I'm just gonna jump in here after reading most of the posts. It's so great to read them because I can see there are other people going through the same thing as me. I am 26 weeks pregnant and was just told I have gestational diabetes yesterday after doing the Glucose tolerance test. So gutted because I had it during my first pregnancy and I lost 19 kilos/41 pounds hoping to avoid it this time. I am only just over the threshold but still will need to stick to the very controlled diet and check my bloods etc. The way we measure levels is different here in New Zealand so I don't understand a lot of the numbers & the drugs are different. But I def sympathise with trying to stick to the diet. It's a real mental struggle for me because as soon as I tell myself I can't have something I want it. Plus it is hard just to distract yourself because you HAVE to think about what you eat a lot! Sometimes I feel sorry for myself...OMG I know I'm fortunate to even get pregnant and already have a healthy baby.

In my first pregnancy I did really well. When they did my scan they told me I was due 10 days earlier. I should have stuck to my guns because I knew my dates but I trusted the experts and didn't want to put my baby at risk. So they induced me at 41 weeks which was 39w3d by my dates. Gel on the cervix a day and a night of walking and waiting. The next day the ob examined me broke my waters without even telling me what he was doing, then 10 hours on the pictocin drip which was agony but I was determined to handle it. I had only dilated to 5cm so they said I had to have a c-section. By then I was too exhausted to put up a fight and just wanted my baby to safe. But not getting squeezed through the pelvis caused my Son to get fluid on his lungs and need to be incubated under special care for a week. Gutted! Far too much intervention. The midwifes told me he was def not overdue possible even early. My instincts told me he wasn't ready to be born but I ignored them.

Here in NZ we can get our own midwife or go through the public system which I did the first time. This time I have my own midwife which is best for me because I can let her know exactly what I want which is a VBAC and she will be at the birth to support what I want! She has told me if I can keep my levels normal until the end they could let me go to 42 weeks. They can't induce me because I have had a C-section. So I have 14 weeks to work at it. I am practising self-hypnosis which is really relaxing, swimming, walking and following the diet they give us here which is three meals a portion of carb, protein and veg with each meal and 1 fruit max a day with the meal but no snacks. I thought I'd starve the first pregnancy but it actually keeps me full. I just have to get through xmas, new years, my wedding anniversary and my birthday without having treats. This forum will be a great place to post & read when times are tough!

#258 of 296 Old 11-04-2011, 11:25 AM

Oh my goodness. You have my sympathies! The holiday season is the absolute worst time of year to get saddled with the GD diet! Talk about testing your will power!

And I don't think there's anything wrong with feeling sorry for yourself. I cried on and off for DAYS when I got my diagnosis before finally coming to terms with it. Plus, having to think constantly about what you're going to eat, when you're going to eat it, and balancing out your carbs is a lot of work! The only up side to having GD is that it forces you to learn an awful lot about your body and about the food you eat.

We use mg/dl to measure blood sugar in the US. In NZ I'm guessing that you're probably using mmol/L. There's an easy conversion factor, I think, which I can't recall. But there's plenty of little tools online which will convert between the two if you want to make sense of some of the American numbers being tossed about.

I've found this thread super helpful. Made my GD pregnancy a lot easier than it otherwise would have been. Hope it does the same for you! Also, good luck on getting your VBAC! smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by diana peeti View Post

Hi all I'm just gonna jump in here after reading most of the posts. It's so great to read them because I can see there are other people going through the same thing as me. I am 26 weeks pregnant and was just told I have gestational diabetes yesterday after doing the Glucose tolerance test. So gutted because I had it during my first pregnancy and I lost 19 kilos/41 pounds hoping to avoid it this time. I am only just over the threshold but still will need to stick to the very controlled diet and check my bloods etc. The way we measure levels is different here in New Zealand so I don't understand a lot of the numbers & the drugs are different. But I def sympathise with trying to stick to the diet. It's a real mental struggle for me because as soon as I tell myself I can't have something I want it. Plus it is hard just to distract yourself because you HAVE to think about what you eat a lot! Sometimes I feel sorry for myself...OMG I know I'm fortunate to even get pregnant and already have a healthy baby.

In my first pregnancy I did really well. When they did my scan they told me I was due 10 days earlier. I should have stuck to my guns because I knew my dates but I trusted the experts and didn't want to put my baby at risk. So they induced me at 41 weeks which was 39w3d by my dates. Gel on the cervix a day and a night of walking and waiting. The next day the ob examined me broke my waters without even telling me what he was doing, then 10 hours on the pictocin drip which was agony but I was determined to handle it. I had only dilated to 5cm so they said I had to have a c-section. By then I was too exhausted to put up a fight and just wanted my baby to safe. But not getting squeezed through the pelvis caused my Son to get fluid on his lungs and need to be incubated under special care for a week. Gutted! Far too much intervention. The midwifes told me he was def not overdue possible even early. My instincts told me he wasn't ready to be born but I ignored them.

Here in NZ we can get our own midwife or go through the public system which I did the first time. This time I have my own midwife which is best for me because I can let her know exactly what I want which is a VBAC and she will be at the birth to support what I want! She has told me if I can keep my levels normal until the end they could let me go to 42 weeks. They can't induce me because I have had a C-section. So I have 14 weeks to work at it. I am practising self-hypnosis which is really relaxing, swimming, walking and following the diet they give us here which is three meals a portion of carb, protein and veg with each meal and 1 fruit max a day with the meal but no snacks. I thought I'd starve the first pregnancy but it actually keeps me full. I just have to get through xmas, new years, my wedding anniversary and my birthday without having treats. This forum will be a great place to post & read when times are tough!

#259 of 296 Old 11-05-2011, 12:22 PM

Thanks for that info I found a converter online now people's posts make heaps more sense. I'm a complete nerd when it comes to numbers and love to compare my numbers to others just to see where I'm at. I had a cry when the midwife told me but now I'm sucking it up. The GD diet is really a good thing there's no way on earth I could stick to a diet if I knew I didn't have to. My new mantra is "Less is more":) It was really easy to keep my numbers down first pregnancy. I don't have a blood tester yet but I'm feeling really thirsty after I eat. Is this a sign of high blood sugar?

#260 of 296 Old 11-05-2011, 09:03 PM

Saw this article today & this seemed an appropriate place to post it in case anyone thought they might be wrongly diagnosed or wanted to find other ways to check their diagnosis.

The Inaccuracy of the 1 hour Glucose Tolerance Test

I was "borderline" with the 1 hour test in my first pregnancy, but using a glucometer I'm finding that my numbers are actually low or low normal.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#261 of 296 Old 11-06-2011, 12:26 AM

I see a lot of problems in this article.

First, the one hour test is not typically done fasting as this article suggests.

It also suggests that no pregnant woman should ever be fasting for 8 to 12 hours. But that's ridiculous. The vast majority of all pregnant women fast this long every night while they sleep with no ill effects. And if fasting that long is putting a woman into serious starvation mode and making her hyper sensitive to sugars in the morning, that's something that she should know -- something that a GTT would tell them and monitoring would let them keep on track of -- so that she doesn't get up every morning, eat pancakes with maple syrup, and drive up her blood sugar.

It suggests some alternatives. The two hour PP being my favorite of the ones provided. But it has it's problems, too, just like a standard GTT. Anyone who has actually been through a GD pregnancy will tell you that not all carbohydrates are the same. I can eat fruit without any problems, but an equal amount of carbs from grain will spike my blood sugar.

This is why, for the most part, doctors prefer glucola. It's standard. It's a known quantity.

Also, I think you can easily miss problems by testing just at a two-hour period. For a diagnostic test, your blood sugar should really be monitored more frequently than that. At the least, at a one hour period and then again at two (just like they do with a GTT). If I only looked at my blood sugar at two hours after meals, I'd have never known that I had a problem. Mine spikes between 45 minutes to one hour after eating. And if I had only looked at my fasting number, I really would have never known!

The random blood sugar test is useless, in my opinion. Doesn't tell you anything.

And the A1C, while helpful in maybe spotting pre-existing diabetes that had gone undiagnosed, is likewise utterly useless for diagnosing GD which only develops part way through pregnancy. The A1C will tell you what's been happening for the past three months, and by the time GD would be reflected in that number, it would be far too late to do anything about it.

The article also suggests walking 1 to 3 miles during your GTT. But no lab worth their salt will let you do that since it violates the test parameters.

Anxiety, stress, and illness do have a temporary effect on blood sugar...so that is true. But it is unlikely that a person with a normal insulin response is going to see enough effect by merely fretting over their test to fail it by a considerable margin on that basis alone. Not unless there's some other confounding factor at work in addition. Age, race, activity level, and diet do have an effect too. But they are accounted for in that those things are all typically considered "risk factors" for developing GD.

The article quotes a doctor as complaining that the "pregnant body is not recognized as being different from the non-pregnant body and is therefore not expected to function within different parameters of normal." Which is not true. There ARE different levels used for GTTs done on pregnant and non-pregnant people. And the differences between the normal blood sugar levels of a pregnant and non-pregnant woman are known and applied to how GD is currently treated and diagnosed. (Blood sugar levels, according to a study my GD nurse recently cited to me, in non-GD women tend to be lower than what that person experienced before pregnancy since the baby is now using a portion of the sugars they are consuming as well.)

The same quote also lists a lot of factors that could result in a "false positive," most of which are things that really ought to be monitored anyway. Decreased insulin production or increased insulin resistance is a problem no matter what's causing it.

There IS a good point in there, however, about the lack of consistent standards in testing. Too many labs do it differently.

Then there's the factoid: "75% of patients shown by the GTT to have impaired glucose tolerance never actually develop diabetes" which the author contends means the test is only 25% accurate. But that's like saying that blood pressure readings must be inaccurate because only a small portion of those people who test high go on to develop heart disease. Impaired glucose tolerance can stay at a non-diabetic level for years and never become full-blown diabetes, especially if the person takes steps to avoid it.

In any case, I don't see how that's related to detecting GD anyway.

And the line that made me sit down long enough to type this all out: "At the end of the day, there’s still the controversial debate: is there such thing as gestational diabetes after all?"

YES. There is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaskyla View Post

Saw this article today & this seemed an appropriate place to post it in case anyone thought they might be wrongly diagnosed or wanted to find other ways to check their diagnosis.

The Inaccuracy of the 1 hour Glucose Tolerance Test

I was "borderline" with the 1 hour test in my first pregnancy, but using a glucometer I'm finding that my numbers are actually low or low normal.

#262 of 296 Old 11-06-2011, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

thesan - very good information - well written. The BIG thing I learned with gd is that every body responds differently & like you highlighted simply testing once or only at the one hour mark will NOT show you what is going on. I really like your point about using the glucola - I did not tolerate fruit at all & some grains were ok but others most definitely were not, but others found the opposite.

Ultimately having the gd diagnosis is frustrating & inconvenient but the diet changes are not bad changes to make & more than one of us has found it has lead to a positive life change.

#263 of 296 Old 11-07-2011, 08:37 AM

I also agree with Thesan's response above.

In fact, we decided not to do the GTT with my third pregnancy, but I self monitored, lots of monitoring at first (1 and 2-hour, and fasting) and then as we figured out what my numbers were, cut back to daily fasting and a once-a-day 1-hour post-prandial, shifting which time of day.

I ate a strict diet that controlled my blood sugar- because though my GTT with my second was really only a "borderline" result, I was quite shocked (and sad) to learn that my blood sugar numbers were higher than normal after eating healthy, nourishing, normal foods.

I was very fortunate to be able to have midwives who treated me as a normal patient, and very fortunate to be able to control my blood sugar through diet, and to have the kind of care and birth that I wanted despite the GD. I also t believe that I learned a lot about my body and what is good and healthy for me through managing my GD, and that in the long run, this will be really a benefit for my health, as well as for both my babies.

The one thing I agree with in this article is the following:

"The test results for the 1 hour GTT vary significantly and are highly questionable, yet your test results can be the difference between a low-tech and high-tech pregnancy and birth."

However, unfortunately I think that leads some natural birth proponents to discount the results, questionable though they might be, of the various tests one can do for GD. This, I think, is the wrong message to take from all this.

#264 of 296 Old 11-07-2011, 08:41 AM

ok, and those are some seriously old citations that the author of that article is using. not that there might not be good info in old medical/scientific research, but there have been some major advances in understanding diabetes since the 80s.

#265 of 296 Old 11-07-2011, 08:43 AM

I agree with what everyone here has said.  I think natural birth proponents too often discount the test as well- like emmaegbert said, and then end up not getting tested!  I think that is a dangerous decision to make.  GD doesn't necessarily have symptoms, at least not that one would notice apart from "regular" pregnancy symptoms.  I also think that sometimes those who do test don't necessarily test positive- for instance my friend was tested at 23 weeks.  Standard protocol is 24-28 weeks.  So who's to say she didn't get tested too early?  There is not enough consistency..... And as for the alternative tests (of which I was a supporter of- I did the alternative this time!) allows for too much flexibility.  I know someone who ate a pb&j sandwich and a glass of milk.  I know that a lot of women with GD would have high numbers after that meal, but I'll *bet* that I could have eaten it and passed with flying colors.  But I have GD.  It's all about how different carbs affect different people....  So I think allowing mothers to choose their meal doesn't account for that- someone could eat a bunch of fruit and have no issue, the next person could do the same and have a high reading. 

#266 of 296 Old 11-07-2011, 12:45 PM

Hey guys--I need some encouragement, or butt-kicking, or something.  I was diagnosed with GD in July, (I guess they tested me early because  my last baby was big?)  and I was working really hard to do everything I could to keep my numbers under control.  I lost 10 pounds from my pre-preg weight, and I've been SO HUNGRY!  Finally, it wasn't working, so I got on insulin, which resulted in getting dropped by my homebirth midwife.  I am so tired of this diet, and upset that I have to have this baby in a hospital, that I'm just having trouble sticking to my diet now and I've been "overeating" lately.  I need to get back on track, because I still need to avoid a C-section, or having my vagina totally obliterated,  or obviously, the baby having issues, but I'm so tired and discouraged and sick of my 'safe' foods.  If I can wrangle my freedom of hospital choice from Tricare, I shouldn't have a 'terrible' hospital experience, since the place I want to go allows laboring in tubs even for GD moms, and encourages breastfeeding to stabilize the baby before trying any of the weird stuff like formula, etc.   The weather was bad for a while, which made it hard to exercise, but It's warmed back up again.  I need to just get out of this slump before the baby gets too big.  After all, as my ever-helpful mom pointed out, "If you have a gigantic girl, we can't dress her in cute outfits!"  (Do I have the worst attitude of anyone here?  I feel like I'm always complaining, but being constantly hungry makes me constantly grouchy!  The rest of you seem to be much more...emotionally mature). 

#267 of 296 Old 11-07-2011, 03:02 PM

Hi, unfortunately it looks like I should jump in here with you... I'm 31 weeks, and although I declined the GTT testing, I've been monitoring on my own and it looks like some of my results are a little high. Ugh. I don't particularly care about being officially diagnosed, as much as I want to learn what I can to have consistently better levels. I've been monitoring fasting and 2 hours after meals for the past few days and learning about what I can and can't eat. It is nice to see people on here talking about low(er) carb and not worrying about low fat, because it seems to me that a low fat diet might not be a good idea even though that is suggested in the handout my MW gave me. That makes more sense for someone with type 2 diabetes who is trying to lose weight, but not a pg mama! I also agree that the carb levels on the handout seem too high. I don't eat gluten, so it is easier for me to cut down on grains than otherwise. So far I seem to be OK with fruit but not grains, except in small quantities with lots of other protein/fat.

It is frustrating reading on here and in other places how much variation there is in what numbers are seen as acceptable, and the variation in treatment! Most of us are nowhere near the levels you would see in a truly diabetic person, and yet there is all of this increased risk of interventions!

I like to read about nutrition, so I feel like I've got a good knowledge base to start with, luckily! I want to remind myself of the glycemic index, and plan to print out a chart to refer to, because I know that can be helpful for evaluating carbs - have others found this helpful? I need to read the "old thread" still, so maybe there's some info there. I like to use fitday for looking at the nutritional profile of foods and recipes and this has been very helpful for looking at my meals and trying to evaluate the number of carbs along with the protein and fat content of my meals. Things like nuts really are more fats that proteins and it is helpful to be able to see this. In some ways having reason to track my diet might be a good thing for me anyways, since I gained 30 lbs during my last 8 weeks of pregnancy last time (and my weekly Blood sugar readings were normal!), and I don't want to do that again!

One question I have when reading through these posts - why are people so worried about how high the spike is after a meal? I was under the impression that the dangerous part of high blood sugar was that when you have a consistently high level for a long time, that's a problem for the baby, but a short spike isn't a big deal (unless, obviously it is VERY high) - so is this wrong? 

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#268 of 296 Old 11-07-2011, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

emma & jbk - great points. I really love the discussions coming here 'cause I think it is important. I have definitely noticed  shift here in that they seem to have completely ditched the 1 hr & are using the 2 hr - which although more time consuming is a good move imo. It is too bad there is not more consistency with approach but hopefully with more knowledge/research the consistency will follow.

seana - I think we have all had these times. It is incredibly frustrating. How are your numbers going even with your diet inconsistencies? I found once I was on the insulin it did give me a little more leeway & that was less stressful. Fwiw - my numbers were much more controlled with dd than with ds & she was bigger so it's not as linear as they have you believe. I also have had vaginal hospital births with each that I am content with (even with the few interventions I had) so please try to be positive.

L'lee - good for you for being proactive. It definitely is a learning curve to find what works for your own body - it certainly seems to be an individual thing. I personally haven't found the glycemic index to be helpful but others may. I focus on macro-nutrients in my diet so I am very aware of whether things are fats, carbs or proteins. The trick I have learned is that you can basically ignore the other two & just classify something by it's main macro (ie. nuts are a fat, disregard the little bit of protein) - the exception is something that is higher in protein but also has a fair bit of carbs (greek yoghurt) because I need to be so careful with my carbs. I really think the low-fat thing is just part of our culture's obsession with fat. As long as you are sticking to healthier fats I haven't found restricting them is helpful & in fact fat & protein slow down carb absorption which is helpful with gd.

You're right that long highs are definitely more of a concern but you also want to be keeping your bs as level as possible. You don't want to be seeing high or low swings - but keeping within a stable range is the healthiest.

So I saw my family doctor today for dd's first appt. I have my 6 week follow up in 2 weeks & it turns out she wants to do the full 2 hr gtt again -sigh. Part of me almost wishes I'd finally get a diabetes diagnosis so I never have to do this awful test again!!! I don't get why they can't just accept a log of numbers? I realllllly like my doctor but sometimes the protocols get irritating. At the same time it will be interesting to see the results as the last time we did it (outside of pregnancy) I was right on the border but I'm now down 40lbs (& will hopefully be down a few more in 2 weeks) & that "should" help my numbers. We'll see.

#269 of 296 Old 11-07-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

You're right that long highs are definitely more of a concern but you also want to be keeping your bs as level as possible. You don't want to be seeing high or low swings - but keeping within a stable range is the healthiest.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense! Good reason to avoid carbs without protein/fat/fiber!

I have been keeping track of the macronutrients, but I've found some interesting variations in how my body deals with different carbs, so I don't think it's as simple as "how many carbs". Especially most veggies, but also I seemed fine with raspberries.

Good luck with the test! I'd think you could try to replicate it yourself by eating a carby meal and then testing yourself. Have you still been eating a lower carb diet, or have you increased that since having your baby? 

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#270 of 296 Old 11-07-2011, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

All carbs are definitely not created equal. For me fruit is pretty much completely out. I am continuing with my low carb diet - I have a good chunk of weight I want to lose & I am doing everything I can to reduce my chance of developing diabetes.

Tags
Quest For Conception Gender Infertility And Egyptian Medical Traditions , Induction Of Ovulation Current Concepts In Obstetrics And Gynecology , Diabetes The Complete Guide The Essential Introduction To Managing Diabetes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page