The New Gestational Diabetes Support Thread - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 296 Old 04-20-2011, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

This thread is to replace the old (& very long) gestational diabetes support thread.

Join in here & share your experiences.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#2 of 296 Old 04-21-2011, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yay for a new thread! 

I was borderline GD with my first pregnancy and am 23 weeks into my second pregnancy.  I have my 1 hr GTT in about 4 weeks.  I'm so scared!  I never had a problem keeping my numbers normal with the first pregnancy but it is still very worrisome. Everything went well with the first pregnancy, I didn't even have to check my sugars everyday, but I know it could be worse this time around.  My sugars were fine in the hospital while delivering as well.  My daughter was born at 41 weeks weighing 7 lbs 12 oz, so no big baby either.  All of her sugars were also normal after delivery.  I'm probably worrying to much but just can't help it!

I have been doing some checking of my sugars here lately in anticipation of my sugar test here in a few weeks just to kind of see where I'm at.  99% of them have been awesome.  But...there are a couple I'm concerned with.  My fasting glucoses range is anywhere from 79 to 88.  My 1 hr readings after eating are also about 87-106 depending on what I've eaten, mostly.  I have a couple readings after breakfast that jumped up to 140 and 138 1 hour after eating.  Of course those meals were pancakes with fruit juice and sugary cereal, respectively.  But I am still worried.  Am I getting ahead of myself???  It's only at breakfast that the numbers go up, I am normal, usually in the 90's, the rest of the day no matter what I eat. 

Just lookin' for someone else's input! 

#3 of 296 Old 04-21-2011, 01:33 PM

I'm 34 wks now and have GD...borderline IMO. I passed the first and second blood draws with flying colors, failed the third by 2 pts, and failed fourth by 25 pts.

Bethany ~ your numbers sound similar to mine and still under the limits I am allowed. They told me fasting should be betw 60 & 90 and 2 hrs after meals should be less than 120. Also, she said your breakfast reading is more volatile than others because you have fasted all night so your readings are affected faster/easier with the carbs. So I'm allowed only 30 carbs for breAkfast but 45 for lunch and dinner. But pairing with protein helps process the carbs better. Sounds like if u had some protein with those two breakfasts you would have been fine. I usually eat regular cheerios and 6 scrambled eggs (3 whole/3whites) and my number stays under 120. Or two Kashi waffles with natural peanut butter.

They gave me a book to plan meals but lasted one day. Now I just eat with common sense and make notes beside my readings so I know what works and what doesn't. BTW ~ a big bowl of peach cobbler with ice cream...not good for sugar readings. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me 32, DH 33,  angel.gif (3/17/10),  DD 6/6/11
#4 of 296 Old 04-21-2011, 03:08 PM

Yeah I was under 120 two hours out after eating both those meals, its just the 1 hr that was high.  Keeping a goal of 120 two hours after eating sounds more realistic to me.  But the diabetes center I had to go to wanted them below 120 at 1 hr....which is pretty strict, I think.  I'm still hopin' I don't have to deal with it this time.

During my three hour test I had normal levels except for my 1 hr was barely over.  I think this time if I fail my 1 hr I am going to decline that 3 hour test.  It sucks!!!!  I'll just start keeping a check with just the 1 hr result regardless of what the 3 hr would tell me.  I have a pretty laid back OB I think he'll be okay with that, but we'll see.  Truthfully even if I passed both of those tests I'd still be paranoid and check it anyway.

GolfAddict- what was your A1c? 

#5 of 296 Old 04-21-2011, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

That was one of my biggest frustrations with the gd with ds - it seemed everyone gives different guidelines as to what numbers are acceptable. It seems the doctor I was with expected particularly strict guidelines & others I speak to are always surprised by it.

I am hoping to avoid doing either test this time. I plan to do at least a week of monitoring on my own the week before that appointment & bring it with me so he can see what my numbers are. The idea of sitting there for 3 hours (either with a two year old or wasting a babysitting stint) frustrates the heck out of me.

I'm only 16 weeks right now so I have some time before he wants me to test. I am actually surprised about that as I figured this time they would want to test me early. Relieved though - I dread dealing with all this again. For now I am working with a nutritionist & working out a lot - anything I can do to avoid it (although I'm not really hopeful I will).

#6 of 296 Old 04-22-2011, 05:28 AM

I've always been told fasting under 95 (or 90, for stricter doctors), under 140 at 1 hour, under 120 at 2 hours.  And, no one has ever asked me to test at 1 hour, they've always said test at 2 hours.  I guess that's because they are more concerned about whether you are staying high for long periods of time after eating rather than whether you're spiking a little at 1 hour.  I think it's the prolonged exposure to high blood sugars that is supposed to be bad for the baby.  There's not much instruction given, though, IME ... I didn't even know until this time that 2 hours means 2 hours after you take your first bite, not 2 hours after you finish eating. 

In any case, I'm doing pretty well.  Fasting is still in the high 70s-low 80s, and postprandials are excellent unless I splurge.  I'm even eating chocolate after lunch and dinner and still doing fine.  I totally credit the metformin for that, though.  :)

SAHM to Bird (6/07) and Bear (7/09), and now enjoying our newest additionbabyboy.gif, born June 1, 2011!  bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.gif

#7 of 296 Old 04-22-2011, 07:40 AM
L J

Could I pop in and ask y'all a question? I am having a hard time finding any very reliable information online. It seems to be the case with all things GD, opinions in the medical community vary wildly. Y'all are the experts in my mind, so this seemed to be a great place to ask.

I am 20w pregnant with my 3rd pregnancy and I have never had GD in the past. I have declined the GTT, but because I am starting this pregnancy overweight I am making my OB nervous. Trying to keep the peace, I have decided to do a 10 day study of my levels at home, testing 4 times a day.

What I am having a hard time determining is the best point in pregnancy at which to do this. I know after buying the supplies I can test randomly whenever I'd like, but for the official copy that will go in my prenatal record I am wondering when I should do this. I am thinking around 22/23 weeks because my next appointment will be at 24 weeks. Will that be alright, or does it need to be slightly later in the pregnancy?

Also, are there any standard log forms that you use to record your levels?

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

#8 of 296 Old 04-22-2011, 08:26 AM

L J- My dietician gave me logs to use, as I needed to fax them or bring them in every Friday.  But you could probably just keep something like a small journal as long as you document pretty well when you are testing.  I would find out when exactly they usually do the testing and test yourself sometime around there.  Both times I've ever been tested was about 27 or 28 weeks.

I didn't do a lot of research the first time I went through this, to tell the truth I didn't want to think about it at all.  But I can't believe the ranges for "normal" are so different.  I guess I had some of the most strict guidelines....it sucked!  As a lab tech, I know what these numbers mean, it was very frustrating.  And I was also taught through school not to really trust point of care testing (glucometers) just as a rule.  I was constantly checking my levels at work since I got to do labwork for free there.  This time I don't have that luxury.  We have moved out of state since then and I'm at home with my daughter now.  I can't find a job out here.  We moved to the middle of nowhere in the panhandle of Oklahoma aka No Man's Land lol. The town we live in only has about 1800 people in it.  If I have to deal with this again I am curious to see what will take place and how they'll want me to manage it.  I don't even know if there is an endocrinologist in the same city as my OB. 

Although I must say my nurse educator/dietician could not of been any better.  She was so nice!  She really worked with me so well.  We both thought my stress level had a lot to do with my sugar levels being out.  My personal life through my first pregnancy was HORRIBLE.  I found out I was pregnant the weekend before I started a new job and with morning sickness that was not good.  My fiance's parents freaked the heck out b/c we weren't married yet, therefore making my husband feel guilty the entire pregnancy.  My husband also had just started a new job that he hated and came home upset everyday.  My mother-n-law accused me of getting pregnant on purpose so that I wouldn't have to work and could stay home, which I didn't I worked the whole time.  I had really bad morning sickness that made me miss work or have to leave early.  I lost my grandfater and an aunt two weeks apart.  My father-n-law had to go in for open heart surgery and almost died.  Since he was in the hospital for almost 2 months my husband had to go back home and watch over their farm, which was two hours away from where we were living.  I was all alone for two months with a husband who didn't care if he talked to me or not.  When I told my husband we were having a girl he told me that "I just ruined his day".  Finally he came back to live with me and then we found out he was laid off of his job.  Therefore I was the only one working and taking care of everything.  And when I got the GD stuff going on I completely broke down.  I was crying everyday sometimes all day.  I felt totally alone.  But my dietician realized it was all too much for me and slacked off on my testing.  If it hadn't been for her I don't know what I would of done. 

This time going into it I am trying to have a much better attitude.  My husband and I are much better now, as after the birth of my first child he realized how big of a jerk he had really been.  I've still got my fingers crossed that since I'm not so stressed this time and been able to keep a much better diet and excercising a lot I can avoid it altogther.  We'll see only the GTT will tell I guess.

#9 of 296 Old 04-22-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post

Could I pop in and ask y'all a question? I am having a hard time finding any very reliable information online. It seems to be the case with all things GD, opinions in the medical community vary wildly. Y'all are the experts in my mind, so this seemed to be a great place to ask.

I am 20w pregnant with my 3rd pregnancy and I have never had GD in the past. I have declined the GTT, but because I am starting this pregnancy overweight I am making my OB nervous. Trying to keep the peace, I have decided to do a 10 day study of my levels at home, testing 4 times a day.

What I am having a hard time determining is the best point in pregnancy at which to do this. I know after buying the supplies I can test randomly whenever I'd like, but for the official copy that will go in my prenatal record I am wondering when I should do this. I am thinking around 22/23 weeks because my next appointment will be at 24 weeks. Will that be alright, or does it need to be slightly later in the pregnancy?

Also, are there any standard log forms that you use to record your levels?

I would also say closer to 28 weeks, if your doctor is just going to accept this one 10-day stretch and not ask you to do it again later on.  They typically do the GTT at 28 weeks now rather than 24 because more cases will be caught at the later time.  No harm in checking for a day or two before then, though, if you want to get a sense of where you are.  I just made a table in a Word document that had the dates down the left hand column and across the top: fasting, breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a notes column in case there was anything unusual to record about a particular day or reading.  It was similar to the format of the little diary that came with my meter.

SAHM to Bird (6/07) and Bear (7/09), and now enjoying our newest additionbabyboy.gif, born June 1, 2011!  bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.gif

#10 of 296 Old 04-22-2011, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

bethany - stress can definitely effect your blood sugars. I was speaking to someone who is type I diabetic the other day. Her numbers were slowly climbing & climbing when she finished working they suddenly plummeted to the point of concern that there was trouble with the baby. She says her job was not even particularly extra stressful just the regular get up in the morning, drive in, work all day, do errands, drive home stress & that was enough to elevate her blood sugars.

It is very hard to find any really good information on gd online or in print. I think that is part of why it is such a stressful situation overall. Lots of myths but not a lot of concrete info.

#11 of 296 Old 04-24-2011, 06:48 AM

Lifeguard- I agree, they need more info about all of this junk.  They need set guidelines for everyone.  I was actually quite surprised to find out that my doctor's office doesnt want you to be fasting at all when you have your test.  They want you to eat a meal, a fairly large meal in fact, 2 or 3 hrs before coming into the appt.  I have to eat a protein, dairy, 2 fruits and/or veg, and 2 starches.  I don't know if I can eat that much food, but I'll try.  I was actually quite happy to hear that as my numbers are better if I've eaten something already during the day.  And I'm glad they're not making anybody starve themselves before drinking that nasty stuff!  That so added to my nausea last time!

#12 of 296 Old 04-24-2011, 06:21 PM

Just stopping by to say hello....I am only at 13.5 weeks, but I had gd with my other 2 kids and I'm expecting to have it with this pregnancy. My doctor tentatively agreed that I could skip the tests and just go straight to monitoring/diet around 25 weeks. I have had a lot of nausea with my first trimester, so my diet has not been great, and I haven't even been spot-checking my bs levels. I just took the 3-hour test in December and passed, so no type-2, thank goodness.

This sounds ridiculous but I am really excited about all the new varieties of Greek yogurt available now--I always have trouble thinking up high protein breakfasts that don't involve eggs, so I think Greek yogurt will be my golden ticket!

Here is a general type-2 question, maybe someone can answer....my fasting numbers seem to be a little high even when I'm not pregnant (like around 100). Is there anything I can do about this, and does it mean I am definitely on my way to full blown diabetes? I think I need to make an appointment with a endocrinologist and figure out what to do after this pregnancy.

Anyway...thanks for starting this thread!

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#13 of 296 Old 04-24-2011, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Nica - the higher fasting numbers are generally not a good thing. You can try playing around with having different meals/snacks before bed & apparently that helps some people. I personally have never found that to work for me. Just having gd puts us all at a much higher risk of developing type II so it's important we all continue to monitor the situation so that if it does develop we catch it right away instead of years later.

I am so fearful of developing type II. A good part of my motivation for my workouts & paying for a nutritionist is to try to avoid it.

#14 of 296 Old 05-20-2011, 01:32 PM

So, I guess this is the place for me to be reporting in ....

I just found out that I "failed" my 3hr test (such an ugly word, failed) and will be meeting with the diabetes center soon about gestational diabetes.  I've got to say, I'm still very much in the bigeyes.gif phase of this as I was told that I "barely" missed the mark on the 1hr and that the 3hr should be "no problem."  Well, evidently it was a problem.

I'm brand new to this, I've got MUCH to learn as I basically don't know anything about GD at all.  I need to educate myself and am going to start doing some research by reading the old thread here on MDC, but in the meantime I wanted to introduce myself and give this thread a boost up just in case there was anyone out there in the same situation.

I'm due August 3 and I keep telling myself that I can handle whatever I need to handle for a few months - whatever I need to do to have a healthy baby and to keep myself healthy - but I've got to admit I really just sorta feel like falling down into a big old' heap of tears, you know?  hide.gif

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
2011:  a year to Make Do, Do Without, or Do It Ourselves 
#15 of 296 Old 05-20-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnittingKara View Post

So, I guess this is the place for me to be reporting in ....

I just found out that I "failed" my 3hr test (such an ugly word, failed) and will be meeting with the diabetes center soon about gestational diabetes.  I've got to say, I'm still very much in the bigeyes.gif phase of this as I was told that I "barely" missed the mark on the 1hr and that the 3hr should be "no problem."  Well, evidently it was a problem.

I'm brand new to this, I've got MUCH to learn as I basically don't know anything about GD at all.  I need to educate myself and am going to start doing some research by reading the old thread here on MDC, but in the meantime I wanted to introduce myself and give this thread a boost up just in case there was anyone out there in the same situation.

I'm due August 3 and I keep telling myself that I can handle whatever I need to handle for a few months - whatever I need to do to have a healthy baby and to keep myself healthy - but I've got to admit I really just sorta feel like falling down into a big old' heap of tears, you know?  hide.gif

Oh believe me I know!  I was borderline GD with my first pregnancy and with excercise and diet have managed to avoid it all together so far this pregnancy.  I cannot describe how happy I was to have passed that one hour test!  In my first pregnancy I too barely failed my 1 hour at 138 (had to be under 135) and was told I'd probably be just fine.  But I ended up having one of my 3 hour draws (the 1 hour) out.  It was 186 and had to be under 180.  I was totally shocked.  I worked in a lab at the time and ran my bloodwork quite frequently (it was free) and never had bs problems.   

Even though I passed the 1 hour this time I am still eating the GD diet and excercising, also, checking my sugars twice a week or so.  Just to keep my mind at ease, that everything is okay.  The diet is a little hard to get used to but once you figure out what you can eat it gets a lot easier.  I actually feel sooooo much better while on this diet!  I have way more energy and just feel better about myself and the health of my baby.  Don't stress about the numbers too much, figuring out what works for you will take practice.  Reading the old thread on here took me days but it really is so full of information!  Not only does it discuss diet but just helps you to not feel alone while you're going through this.  It was really hard for me, I cried almost everyday.  But just have to tell yourself you'll get through it and you will.  After all, its only a few more weeks.  You can do it!  Exercise has helped me more than anything.  I'll admit I have been a bum since I got out of college but I've had to start getting back at it.  Also, coming from the south, I love fried food!  But...can't have it.  My DH found out several weeks ago that he has high cholesterol so we've been dieting together.  It's really nice to have that back up and support, although, he cheats way more than me.  He wasn't there for me during my first pregnancy and it was really hard to deal with everything.  I felt very overwhelmed.   But everything turned out okay, my baby was only 7 lbs 12 oz at 41 weeks and didn't have low bs after birth.  Although I hated that they stuck her 4 times!!!  She did have some jaundice and have to be kept under the lights an extra day but the pediatrician said that was from an ABO blood group incompatibility between me and her not GD. 

Just keep telling yourself you can do this!  It'll all be over soon!  And I see you already have 2 kids, so you know they are totally worth all the trouble we go through with pregnancy.  I say all the time I'd rather give birth any day than be pregnant for 9 mos! 

KnittingKara likes this.
#16 of 296 Old 05-23-2011, 06:23 AM

Thanks!  I am trying to keep things in perspective and it helps to know that this is temporary.  I can do whatever I have to do for the next few months (though I will admit, I'm still in the phase where I'm adjusting my attitude)

I think there is a part of me that still doesn't really believe this because I have been feeling SO great with this pregnancy - my easiest by far.  Yes, I've been more tired than usual, but I chalked that up to having 3 kids, homeschooling, and working from home.  I guess this is a good reason for me to be easier on myself and ease up a bit on my schedule. (something, admittedly, I should probably already be doing by this point in my pregnancy)

I had a hard time this weekend not looking at every piece of food in our house like it was my potential enemy and wondering just what in the heck I could actually eat confused.gif   Reading through the old G.D. thread is helping, and I'm glad to have an appointment with the Diabetes Center tomorrow, where I hope I'll get some more guidance.

I don't want to make any assumptions at this point, since I know so little, but I'm thinking that because my numbers were so close to the acceptable level that I'll just be monitoring myself and going on a diet.  In talking w/ so many moms recently, I've heard a lot of positive stories so that is certainly helping my optimism.

I've had some tearful moments, because there as aspects of this that seem a little overwhelming.  And, even though I know these things happen, I'm blaming myself and wondering if making different choices about how I've been eating and taking care of myself could have avoided this.  I hate to think that I've put my baby at risk gloomy.gif  

Feeling kind of raw, I guess, but hope that goes away the more I know and as this week goes along and I have my appointments and make more changes and feel like I'm actually DOING something.

It helps to have others here to talk to, for sure.  Thanks for responding!

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
#17 of 296 Old 05-27-2011, 04:49 AM

I had my glucose tolerance test a few weeks ago, but for whatever reason the doctor's office didn't call with the results.  This week I learned that I was borderline.  Fortunately my doctor is okay with me monitoring my fasting blood sugars and checking some pre and posts to see so I'm headed out to buy a glucometer today.  Add in that I have an incomplete placenta previa that didn't move one iota and yesterday was a bit deflating.  I'm glad to find a support group of mommas though! 

#18 of 296 Old 05-27-2011, 06:23 AM

Champios, I'm glad that your Doc is okay w/ monitoring but I bet it is a little frustrating that they waited so long to contact you.  And yes, super glad that there is a support group here!

I had my 1st meeting at the Diabetes Center on Tuesday and they are going to give me 3 weeks to manage it w/ glucose monitoring and diet alone before we start mentioning the "insulin" word.  The diet is taking some getting used to as I figure out exactly what I can and cannot eat. My numbers have been all over the place this first week.  It looks like any time I have any kind of bread, things w/ my numbers get a little wacky.  I'm wondering if grain free might not be the way for me to go for the next 10 weeks or so ....

I'm figuring out the glucose monitor, but I'm such a klutz with it.  It isn't difficult, in theory, and it doesn't really hurt, but I can't seem to get over that "wince/jerk away" instinct when I know the needle is about to deploy from the lancet.  I've been slicing my fingers a lot and having to re-do nearly every prick so far.  redface.gif  I mean, there are little kids who do this all the time and manage just fine, but I can't seem to get it right just yet LOL

Emotionally, it is a bit more challenging.  The dietician was very kind and explained that yes, we do have a great diet and that would probably be fine for anyone else.  But, the hormones of pregnancy are affecting my pancreas and slowing down how it deals with sugars, even natural sugars, so that is why I have found myself here in the land of gestational diabetes.  I *know* it isn't my fault ... but it still sort of feels like my fault.  greensad.gif

#19 of 296 Old 05-27-2011, 01:25 PM

Hi everyone! I am 8 week pregnant with my 2nd child.  I took the 1 hour test about 2 weeks ago and failed it. I was so suprised that they did it early but they said that since my dad was diabetic they would test me.  So it was suppose to be under 134 and it was 209.  This has taken me for a loop, I have cried and gotten upset about it and I am still in shock about it I think.  I am having a lot of stress right now since we are buying a house in one week.  So I am really hopeing that after we settle next friday that the blood sugars will go down some.  I see the doctor the June 6th for my first visit.  I have met with a dietitian in a class about GD.  I was kind of defensive about the whole thing when I was there because I could not believe I was being put on a diet that is going to last 7 months.  I am still not liking the whole diet/meal plan.  I feel like my #'s have been higher since I have been on it.  In the mornings they are between 104-118 fasting so I am scared about that.  Then after meals they are higher.  Today I had a slice of pizza and a salad and it was 140 an hour after I started to eat.  I just dont want to feel like I cant have something to eat if I want it.  I am still in the feeling sick stage.  Then I feel like if I have some ice cream or cake I will hurt the baby.  I really feel alone in all of this and feel that my DH is not supportive because he is a picky eater and will not eat veggies and healthy like I need to eat.  I am overweight and feel that it is my fault.  I hope I can find support here.

Where is the old thread everyone is talking about?

I really need food ideas as well. 

#20 of 296 Old 05-28-2011, 09:15 AM

Hi Mommy2Brayden smile.gif   Sorry that you are here, as I don't think anyone wants to be, but glad to see another mama here for support!

The old GD thread starts here:

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/945665/gestational-diabetes-support-group

I've been reading through it a few pages a day (it is really long) and have gotten some meal and snack ideas.

The weekend so far has been kind of a challenge for me.  We've got friends and family in town for the Indy 500 and I'm struggling a bit with meal planning.  I actually didn't go to an event last night because I knew it would be hamburgers and milkshakes and I didn't want know exactly how/what I would eat.  shrug.gif   Probably a little silly, in hindsight, but I guess it just goes to show that I am still very new at this and figuring it all out.

I had a super high reading on Thursday that I still can't make heads or tails out of.  *sigh* a learning curve, right?

#21 of 296 Old 05-28-2011, 06:35 PM

Hi new folks to the thread!  I am 38 weeks and almost done with this mess, thank goodness, but here are a couple of things off the top of my head:

(1) I totally understand feeling defensive and having to adjust your feelings about the diagnosis.  That's how I felt the first time around.  I really resented having to alter my diet at first.  But once I got used to it, I was really glad that I knew so that I could eat healthier for the baby, and because I gained less weight. 

(2) You probably already know this, but wash your hands every single time before you test your blood sugar.  Having something on your hands can totally throw off your reading.

(3) I found that I could either make special low-carb meals OR adjust the proportions of otherwise regular meals.  E.g. if we were having spaghetti, I ate a ton of sauce (which I made with meat and lots of chunky veggies) and very little whole-wheat pasta.  When we made gumbo or stir-fry (two of my stand-bys) I would sprinkle maybe 1/4 c. rice on the bottom of my bowl and then fill it up with the protein/veggie combination.  As long as the proportions were right and the servings weren't too large, I was able to eat foods that we normally made such as lasagna.  I did pretty much stop eating bread, except for breakfast I had low-carb toast with peanut butter because I could not stand the sight, smell or taste of eggs most of the time. 

This time around, I discovered a great recipe for crustless quiche, which if you like quiche is a fabulous low-carb meal.  Basically, mix together a dozen eggs, two cups of milk, about two to three cups shredded cheese (I usually use a combo of swiss and cheddar but any kind of cheese will work), whatever meat or veggies you like (I usually use chopped broccoli or spinach), salt and pepper to taste, and pour/ladle into muffin tins and bake at 350 for about 25-28 minutes.  [These will stick to a metal muffin tin something awful so use silicone or get foil baking cups and don't skimp on the cooking spray].  Makes 24 mini quiches (and it's easy to halve the recipe to make a dozen).  I would eat 4 for lunch with some baby carrots or sliced tomatoes and still be able to have a little dessert because they are so low-carb. 

Grilled chicken and steamed/sauteed veggies was another standby meal for us.  Also, taco salad: bed of lettuce, seasoned meat, shredded cheese, diced tomatoes, salsa and sour cream.  (That one can exacerbate heartburn though).  Stir-fry, as mentioned above: chicken and tons of veggies in a ginger-soy sauce with a little brown rice.  I made Indian food with jarred sauce and tons of veggies.  For lunches I ate a lot of salads with grilled chicken and hard-boiled eggs.  I like sweet dressings so I saved my carbs for honey-mustard dressing and didn't use any croutons or legumes on the salad.  For snacks: cheese and lots of it.  I ate a ton of string cheese. 

Finally, I have a sweet tooth, so here are a few things that I ate when I craved sweets: strawberries and banana with cottage cheese; low-carb ice cream bars (yes, artificial sweeteners are bad, but I loved these); smoothies (frozen strawberries and blueberries or peaches, a banana, plain kefir or yogurt, and some ground flaxseed -- yum).

HTH!

diana peeti likes this.

#22 of 296 Old 05-28-2011, 06:42 PM

Thanks alot! That is a start, please keep the ideas coming.  I feel like I am not alone in all of this.

#23 of 296 Old 06-03-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmiranda View Post

This time around, I discovered a great recipe for crustless quiche, which if you like quiche is a fabulous low-carb meal.  Basically, mix together a dozen eggs, two cups of milk, about two to three cups shredded cheese (I usually use a combo of swiss and cheddar but any kind of cheese will work), whatever meat or veggies you like (I usually use chopped broccoli or spinach), salt and pepper to taste, and pour/ladle into muffin tins and bake at 350 for about 25-28 minutes.  [These will stick to a metal muffin tin something awful so use silicone or get foil baking cups and don't skimp on the cooking spray].  Makes 24 mini quiches (and it's easy to halve the recipe to make a dozen).  I would eat 4 for lunch with some baby carrots or sliced tomatoes and still be able to have a little dessert because they are so low-carb. 

This does help - thank you!  It is reassuring to hear from someone a little further down the road than I am, for sure!  And, wow, you'll be holding your baby in your arms very soon love.gif

And, I'm going to give your quiche a try - thank you for sharing!

I had a little breakdown yesterday.  Well, more of a temper tantrum, really.  A friend, also pregnant, said something to me along the lines of, "Oh, I don't have to worry about GD because we don't eat much sugar."  I guess the implication is that I have GD because we DO eat a lot of sugar????  Um, no.  We have a pretty good diet and have for a while (not perfect, but pretty good) and I do very carefully watch sugar and dyes and we eat mostly whole foods. 

I don't think she meant to offend me, but she did.  It didn't help that when I started to explain to her about the hormones of pregnancy and how they affect the pancreas, she cut me off and changed the subject.  I stewed about it for a long time and poor DH ended up having to listen to me vent last night redface.gif

I'm still learning so much about this new way of eating.  Yes, we eat pretty healthy but with a big emphasis on things like pasta, bread, potatoes, and rice - which aren't so great for me.  And, portion control?  Nope.  Never had any before LOL

This is my second week on the GD diet and I have to admit, I'm noticing that I seem to feel better and have some more energy.  I'm wondering now, in hindsight, how much of what I assumed was normal mothering/pregnancy tiredness was my body trying to tell me something, you know?

And, silly, but I finally seem to have the hang of the lancet.  I was slicing my fingers nearly every time because I just couldn't control that "jerk away, a needle is about to stab your finger" instinct, but on week two things are better and I don't wince (well, as much)

I'm drinking water and unsweetened almond milk.  Orange juice, which I love, seems to spike my numbers.  I'm already envisioning a post-birth tall, cold glass of oj ...

So, that is me the past few days.  How about for the rest of you?  How are things going?

#24 of 296 Old 06-03-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:

This does help - thank you!  It is reassuring to hear from someone a little further down the road than I am, for sure!  And, wow, you'll be holding your baby in your arms very soon love.gif

And, I'm going to give your quiche a try - thank you for sharing!

I had a little breakdown yesterday.  Well, more of a temper tantrum, really.  A friend, also pregnant, said something to me along the lines of, "Oh, I don't have to worry about GD because we don't eat much sugar."  I guess the implication is that I have GD because we DO eat a lot of sugar????  Um, no.  We have a pretty good diet and have for a while (not perfect, but pretty good) and I do very carefully watch sugar and dyes and we eat mostly whole foods. 

I don't think she meant to offend me, but she did.  It didn't help that when I started to explain to her about the hormones of pregnancy and how they affect the pancreas, she cut me off and changed the subject.  I stewed about it for a long time and poor DH ended up having to listen to me vent last night redface.gif

I'm still learning so much about this new way of eating.  Yes, we eat pretty healthy but with a big emphasis on things like pasta, bread, potatoes, and rice - which aren't so great for me.  And, portion control?  Nope.  Never had any before LOL

This is my second week on the GD diet and I have to admit, I'm noticing that I seem to feel better and have some more energy.  I'm wondering now, in hindsight, how much of what I assumed was normal mothering/pregnancy tiredness was my body trying to tell me something, you know?

And, silly, but I finally seem to have the hang of the lancet.  I was slicing my fingers nearly every time because I just couldn't control that "jerk away, a needle is about to stab your finger" instinct, but on week two things are better and I don't wince (well, as much)

I'm drinking water and unsweetened almond milk.  Orange juice, which I love, seems to spike my numbers.  I'm already envisioning a post-birth tall, cold glass of oj ...

So, that is me the past few days.  How about for the rest of you?  How are things going?

I don't know what kind of orange juice you like but try the new tropicana 50 juice.  From what I've read it's got no artificial sweetners in it.  It's just not from concentrated juice.  It's got about 12g sugar per 8oz.  Be good to drink with a snack thats low carb like nuts, if you're really missing the oj.  

#25 of 296 Old 06-03-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany42309 View Post

I don't know what kind of orange juice you like but try the new tropicana 50 juice.  From what I've read it's got no artificial sweetners in it.  It's just not from concentrated juice.  It's got about 12g sugar per 8oz.  Be good to drink with a snack thats low carb like nuts, if you're really missing the oj. 

Thanks Bethany!  I will have dh pick some up on his way home (cuz' yes I am really missing the oj)  smile.gif

#26 of 296 Old 06-03-2011, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Kara - I like the line "gd (or diabetes really) is NOT about sugar but CARBS". Most people just do not get this. I had people comment also that they didn't worry about it 'cause they were thin which made me feel like they felt it was all my fault for being heavy but the fact is I'm quite a bit thinner this time around & still am looking at a gd diagnosis most likely.

For juice - I had to avoid it completely last time (& have pretty much since). My dietician had said that really the body cannot differentiate it from pop as far as sugar goes. Not to be discouraging.

#27 of 296 Old 06-03-2011, 01:15 PM

How about a small splash of orange juice in a glass of seltzer, if you're missing the taste.

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#28 of 296 Old 06-04-2011, 03:33 PM

They have purevia http://www.purevia.com/

Quote:

Thanks Bethany!  I will have dh pick some up on his way home (cuz' yes I am really missing the oj)  smile.gif

#29 of 296 Old 06-04-2011, 03:35 PM

I am doing pretty good, I go see the doctor on monday.  My numbers seem to be better, at least I think so.  I did have a day where they got in the 200's but I ate like crap.  I am just seeing what I can and can not eat and what makes my numbers higher.  I did eat a bowl of ice cream with fruit on it last night and my numbers were lower then they have been in the mornings.  It was actually in the 90's.

#30 of 296 Old 06-04-2011, 05:34 PM

You're welcome!  They have several other flavors too, if you get bored of the oj. 

Tags
Quest For Conception Gender Infertility And Egyptian Medical Traditions , Induction Of Ovulation Current Concepts In Obstetrics And Gynecology , Diabetes The Complete Guide The Essential Introduction To Managing Diabetes

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page