Subchorionic Hematoma and baby aspirin - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-27-2011, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm 8 weeks pregnant and apparently the placenta is tearing away due to a subchorionic hematoma.  In hindsight, I am pretty sure that the clot was actually there at my 5w6d ultrasound because my OB mentioned seeing a clot that she hoped would reabsorb.  Anyhow, aside from being entirely freaked out, I am wondering if the baby aspirin she now has me on is a good thing or not?  Have any of you had this happen and gone the aspirin route or not?  I should mention I also have a history of placental abruption.  Any insight is appreciated! 

#2 of 6 Old 04-27-2011, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Your OB most likely would have told you to stop the aspirin if she were concerned about it, but it's worth a call to ask her. I had the same thing around 9 weeks and my IVF doctor told me to stop taking the low dose aspirin he had me on. But I've read other women who have had aspirin recommended to help thin the clot. So I would definitely call your OB and ask!  Hopefully everything will resolve quickly for you!

Married to my wonderful DH; Mama to DS born 6-07 and 4 in heaven brokenheart.gif1-06 (7 weeks) brokenheart.gif1-10 (6 weeks) and our twins 5-11, brokenheart.gifone sweet boy (17 weeks) and brokenheart.gifone precious baby girl (18 1/2 weeks).

In the middle of our adoption journey and are excitedly waiting to get matched with a birth mom

#3 of 6 Old 04-27-2011, 07:51 PM

I am now on baby aspirin after 2 pregnancies with clots, one of which ended in a 2nd trimester loss.  Ideally you start taking it while TTC.  I fully believe the aspirin I'm on is helping me have a healthy pregnancy.  Low dose aspirin will not harm the baby but you need to stop taking it at least a couple weeks before delivery to ensure you don't bleed too much.

Do not take advil or any NSAID while pregnant or TTC if you are prone to clots.

#4 of 6 Old 04-27-2011, 08:24 PM

I'd rethink the low dose aspirin starting in the 3rd trimester. It can disrupt labor and change the development of the baby's heart before birth (not really an issue earlier in development of the heart). I'd check with your doc to see how long they want you to stay on it.

#5 of 6 Old 04-28-2011, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mamas!  She didn't put me on it until a couple days ago, and she told me she wants me to take it throughout the entire pregnancy.  I really don't trust her, bottom line.  I don't have any better options though.  I am mostly concerned with taking it until the end because I have had a placental abruption, but I believe I also had a clot in the placenta too so maybe that is why she wants me on it.  UGH.  Stressful :(.

#6 of 6 Old 04-28-2011, 03:29 PM

i am on anti-coagulants because of a history of DVT, and this pregnancy I am on low-dose aspirin in addition to the anti-coagulant because of a SCH.  it sounded like a lot to me at first, but i've talked to a couple of doctors now, and they all say that it's believed to help resolve the clot.  my bleeding went on and off for about a month, but i've had no bleeding in about 6 weeks now, even with the aspirin.  i also started taking homeopathic arnica, and that seemed to help get rid of the clot, as a few days after i started it, the bleeding stopped completely.

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page